Coopers Community

When a Keg Blows

Scottie

Hey Anthony

True I come across as having identity issues. My forum handle is my brewery name so I am still Scottie the brewer from the Valley. A signature on this forum would be great as all my posts could be signed....

Cheers

Scottie

Valley Boy Brewing

• 7 months later...

Thar she blows! lol

Mixed emotions. The last of the Mosaic Amber Ale. sad (You gotta brew this Scottie!)

...but now I have a spare keg for the Nelson Sauvin/Chinook/Ella Pale Ale I have coincidentally had crash chilling for the last 2 days. whistling

Careful planning, clever scheduling, combined with an almost unquenchable thirst, & anything is possible! biggrin

...Ooooh look, an almost barely tapped chilly keg of Ahtanum/Amarillo Ale! love

Good tunes, good beer, nice weather, life's pretty good today. happy

Cheers,

Anthony.

OK Anthony

How would this go? It is a little more bitter as I find Amber Ales (Especially James Squire) too sweet.

2.00 kg Ale Malt

1.50 kg Munich Malt

0.35 kg Crystal 60L

0.25 kg Victory Malt

0.25 kg Crystal 20L (or Caramalt)

0.08 kg Choc Malt

15g Magnum @ 60 mins

10g Mosaic @ 20 mins

0.5 Whirlfloc @ 10 mins

10g Mosaic @ 5 mins

10g Mosaic @ Whirpool

US05

25g Mosaic @ day 7

Mash at 66 degrees,ferment at 18 degrees

20 litres

OG 1.046

FG 1.011

IBU 34.1

EBC 29.3

Cheers

Scottie

Looks good Scottie. smile

That's a lot more Munich than what I used, but if you like it in that quantity, then just go with it I suppose.

Also if you want it to be more of an English Bitter (that I know you like) perhaps try the Wyeast 1318 (or similar) in place of the cleaner US-05. Either yeast will make a nice beer with that recipe though.

I really hope you like it.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Making sure you have a keg of beer ready in waiting is your next challenge.[/size]

A challenge it is. Next brew not due to tap until 1 November. Guessing it will be like this until I can stock up over the canberra winter. In 6 months. :(

• 2 months later...

Maximum disappointment and a new record. My Bushy Park pale Ale has blown after only 22 days. The previous best was Dr Smurto's Light Amber Ale.

This one was really going down well and I was looking to have one or two after yet another Bike Ride.

Time to bring the Golden Ale back in, it needed more time and had now had 13 weeks in the keg.

Cheers & Tears

Scottie

Valley Brews

• 7 months later...

crying

The last glass and a half taste is the best.

Otto's Squaw Red Ale has just blown out, I've got one mouthful left as I type. Four bottles out in the shed but I am resisting the temptation.

This beer ranks in my excellent brew category of which there are eight.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I feel your pain Scottie, my Tap-a-Draft bottle of Lusty's Amber ale blew tonight crying

The good thing about homebrewing is that you can just about always brew it again biggrin .. unlike for example when you finish the last bottle of a back-vintage of Coopers ESVA that you can't buy any more.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely shattered

Victory IPA is out, 19 litres in 17 days. Everyone liked it, and I had to share with four others on Sunday night pinched

When it comes to home brew I prefer George Thorogood's stand

I drink alone

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hey Otto

That is a positive outlook. I am glad that my duplicate recipe has been down for 11 days, dry hopped on Sunday afternoon. I have two kegs conditioning and now have room to put down another - and like you I love brewing.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I've yet to experience this feeling but I will be soon...

My attitude is different though - I like sharing it because it gives me an excuse to brew more often. biggrin

Vice versa works for me too - I like brewing because it give me and excuse to share more often. And the means too.

I've yet to experience this feeling but I will be soon...

My attitude is different though - I like sharing it because it gives me an excuse to brew more often. biggrin

Spoken like a true noobie kegger! lol

Wait til you have a few mates around & they drain all but a little bit of the kegs you have on the pour that first time' date=' & the next beer in your rotation is still in the early stages of primary fermentation! [img']pinched[/img] Haha! lol

Trust me, you'll be ticked off! devil

Despite kegging most of my beers, this is why I still bottle a few from each batch. So I have something to keep ME going if my mates happen to rip through a keg or two with me when they are around. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

lol Well they could have just as easily come around and done that any time over the last 3 or so years that I've been brewing again so I'm not overly concerned about that happening... then again, the idea of beer on tap for free might change their minds tongue. I've already got two people coming around to have a few at some point soon. rolleyeslol

Just kidding about the mates! biggrin

I get a kick out of the fact that they enjoy drinking my beers. cool

I will admit though, that they do get through my beer noticeably quicker since I've had it on the pour as opposed to when I had bottled beer.

Outwardly, Scottie appears to have a good system going with his kegged beer. It would be interesting to know how many beers he has sitting in kegs at any one time (especially during the Summer). unsure

Cheers,

Lusty.

Outwardly' date=' Scottie appears to have a good system going with his kegged beer. It would be interesting to know how many beers he has sitting in kegs at any one time (especially during the Summer). [img']unsure[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty

I have six Cornies, but the seal between the keg and the lid on one has become distorted somehow and I now only have 5 in circulation. I am behind the 8 ball at the minute due to a short brewing layoff. Normally I have 3 sitting in storage, fridge n the garage, at varying ages and two in the kegarator. I am limited at the minute to 1 brew at a time as I am brewing outside with only 1 fridge. Once we warm up a bit in October I do some double brew days to get my stocks back up.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hiya Scottie! smile

So within reason, maybe 2 on the pour, & 2-3 conditioning would be a good number to aim for in circulation?

I reckon 4-5 kegs in circulation would do well for me.

It's not a conversation that comes up much on the forum, but I have observed your thoughts & views in this particular area above all others in my time on the forum. You probably have the best circulation/rotation schedule of anyone currently kegging on the forum that I am aware of (IMHO).

Thanks for the info. wink

Lusty.

• 3 months later...

I've had three kegs all run dry in the past 10 days. A red ale, a Bo Pils, and just now my SNPA clone which was only kegged two weeks ago. I'm glad to be on holidays but it really is putting a dent in the stocks crying

I'm sure when I get back to work I'll be able to build the stocks again as I obviously won't be drinking as much, but it's a bit crappy when I only have one full keg which isn't even really ready to drink yet. Good thing I have some bottled beer to get through the next few days I guess.

OH well, definitely will be sticking to ales for a few months, quick keg fillers if I can turn them around in ~2 weeks.

Cheers

Kelsey

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is sad but it's even worse when two go in quick succession, last night my Fules Gold went MT then tonight my Honky Red has gave up its last three glasses and worst of all I only had one of them.

Just last week I was happy to have all my kegs full and now I've got two MT and only one brew down and only six days in annoyed

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew