Coopers Community

Whats in Your Fermenter - 2024?

12 hours ago, Malter White said:

Just poured the first beer from the keg. It was worth the wait. It's possibly the best beer I've ever made.

Not going to bother with photos because I don't fine my beers and I'm not getting very good lighting on pics at the moment. It has a slight haze to it but the taste is sensational.

On Sunday my kids and partners are over for dinner. I can't wait to share it with them.

I'm going to have to learn some patience because this is worth doing again and again.

That's awesome @Malter White. Well done, mate 👏🏼 

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2024 at 9:07 AM, jennyss said:

On the right is brew no. 53, my husband's WW Lager, with just BE2 added, so a low OG of 1034. This brew is now at day 6 and due to have a hop tea added this afternoon. 

On the left is brew no.54, my Coopers Pale Ale with BE2 and 500g LDM added. OG was 1047. Only at day 2, but it got cranking overnight with cold break lumps appearing then disappearing, and now a creamy looking krausen about 1cm thick on the top. I will add 50g hops on about day 8.

At beer time today we will taste our previous brews for the first time. These were a Coopers Lager and a Coopers Pale Ale. 

Being simple folks, they are all extract brews at this stage; we are sticking to the KISS principle.

20240530_084744[1].jpg

What a difference a day makes! No, I have not swapped the FV's around. My Coopers Pale Ale on the left at day 4 is now a pale hazy gold; and my husband's WW Lager on the right, now at day 8 is becoming quite dark again. I expect my Pale Ale will start to darken again in another couple of days. I guess it is the yeasts doing their amazing thing. I have been able to maintain the brew temperature at 20deg, so no ups and downs. 

20240601_094749[1].jpg

• Like 9

Today I put together the Coopers Botanic Ale.  Except I pushed it to 27 litres by adding some Light Dry Malt and plain sugar.  Plus I had some spare Nectaron hops so I increased the dry hop to 60 grams.  The extra volume will slightly reduce the IBU's and lighten the colour.  However, it should still be close enough to the intended beer.

• Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale
  • 1kg + 300g Light Dry Malt
  • 1kg Brew Enhancer 3
  • 300g Table Sugar
  • 60g Nectaron dry hops at Day 0
  • 25g Juniper Berries - 15 minute hot steep
  • Coopers Commercial Ale Yeast I harvested in February

IMG_4433.JPG.9061a69c9e50db2c9a343edb0dfc97ce.JPG

IMG_4434.JPG.76e25ce3538eb7bd5dc68eb1fa440e7a.JPG

• Like 8

All Inn Pale Ale FWK, no time for AG this R&R, father in hospital sick so a few quick throw downs on the run to keep stocks up. 
Will dry hop using the hop bong, as I am pressure fermenting this one. 25g Amarillo / 25g Simcoe.

IMG_0244.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Today I put together the Coopers Botanic Ale.  Except I pushed it to 27 litres by adding some Light Dry Malt and plain sugar.  Plus I had some spare Nectaron hops so I increased the dry hop to 60 grams.  The extra volume will slightly reduce the IBU's and lighten the colour.  However, it should still be close enough to the intended beer.

• Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale
  • 1kg + 300g Light Dry Malt
  • 1kg Brew Enhancer 3
  • 300g Table Sugar
  • 60g Nectaron dry hops at Day 0
  • 25g Juniper Berries - 15 minute hot steep
  • Coopers Commercial Ale Yeast I harvested in February

IMG_4433.JPG.9061a69c9e50db2c9a343edb0dfc97ce.JPG

IMG_4434.JPG.76e25ce3538eb7bd5dc68eb1fa440e7a.JPG

I will be interested to hear how your version of the Botanic goes.

Mine is now kegged and as soon as it carbonates up I am keen to try it. I will probably give it 2 weeks in the keg to condition before sampling.

Mine appeared to be much darker than predicted (Brewfather estimation) but it smelled really nice.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

I will be interested to hear how your version of the Botanic goes.

Mine is now kegged and as soon as it carbonates up I am keen to try it. I will probably give it 2 weeks in the keg to condition before sampling.

Mine appeared to be much darker than predicted (Brewfather estimation) but it smelled really nice.

How did you go about your dry hop?  Left it in for the whole time or pulled it early?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

How did you go about your dry hop?  Left it in for the whole time or pulled it early?

I removed the Nectaron after 7 days.

• Like 4

Japanese Lager fermenting away, I used the Novalager Yeast but swapped fridges, so I am running this at 14 degrees.

I googled the Yeast and its temperature range is 10-20, so went for something close to middle. 
‘This will sit for over a month.

IMG_5156.jpeg

• Like 7

On 5/30/2024 at 7:24 PM, Malter White said:

Just poured the first beer from the keg. It was worth the wait. It's possibly the best beer I've ever made.

Not going to bother with photos because I don't fine my beers and I'm not getting very good lighting on pics at the moment. It has a slight haze to it but the taste is sensational.

On Sunday my kids and partners are over for dinner. I can't wait to share it with them.

I'm going to have to learn some patience because this is worth doing again and again.

Had the kids over for dinner and while I'm still loving the lager the kids' responses were underwhelming. My son said he prefers other beers I've made previously, while the son-in-law saw my disappointment from my son's review he politely said it's nice but I could sense a lack of enthusiasm in him.

But it's not bad news....it means more lager for Papa Bear to drink.🍻

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Red devil 44 is that including CC etc a month? going away for work? never used nova but think even at lower temps it's a bit of a gun yeast. One or 2 packets?

@Uhtred Of BeddanburgCC is within the month mate, should leave it longer but I have some people around that time visiting so probably throw on tap. But can leave it a month as I work FIFO. 
1 packet used only, not a whole lot of action currently, fermentation is underway as the Fermzilla is sitting on 12 psi. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

@Uhtred Of BeddanburgCC is within the month mate, should leave it longer but I have some people around that time visiting so probably throw on tap. But can leave it a month as I work FIFO. 
1 packet used only, not a whole lot of action currently, fermentation is underway as the Fermzilla is sitting on 12 psi. 

I found with novalager being a true bottom fermenting yeast there was not much Krausen but it got the primary done in 5 days 

• Like 1

Dry hopped the Pale Ale under pressure ferment with an enclosed transfer.

20g Chinook

20g Cascade

20g Galaxy 

Bit of an oddball hop schedule but I needed to use them up. 
‘Apologies for the video, came out good on my phone but not here. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

20g Chinook

20g Cascade

20g Galaxy 

IMG_0260.mov

Nice one mate did you hit that bong afterwards?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

yeah no problem with them clogging anything then?

No not really, I will Cold Crash for 5 or 6 days before I fly home from shift as I have a wifi Inkbird. 
‘And when transferring to keg I have a filter set up I use to catch any hop matter, seems to work ok. 
Pic below from Kegland, it’s pretty good for $19 🤷‍♂️

IMG_5169.jpeg

IMG_5170.jpeg

Edited by Red devil 44
Add
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

20g Chinook

20g Cascade

20g Galaxy 

IMG_0260.mov

The problem with the video is that the iPhone uses the Quicktime container (.mov) and the forum software can't handle either the container or the codec used. You may be able to change the video settings in the phone to make .mp4 or .m4v, which should work. It is similar to photos. If you use the high quality HEVC codec, the photos may not show and you have to ensure the phone takes photos in JPEG format. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

The problem with the video is that the iPhone uses the Quicktime container (.mov) and the forum software can't handle either the container or the codec used. You may be able to change the video settings in the phone to make .mp4 or .m4v, which should work. It is similar to photos. If you use the high quality HEVC codec, the photos may not show and you have to ensure the phone takes photos in JPEG format. 

Yeah, that happens a lot, sometimes I have saved files & converted them in my software so I can view them.

• Like 3

On 6/2/2024 at 1:10 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks.  I look forward to reading your tasting notes.

Cracked the keg of Botanic ale and I am quite pleased with the results.

9 days in the keg. I am not noticing a big influence from the Juniper berries, but maybe my senses are not tuned for that. I am getting some influence from the Nectaron hops, not overpowering at all or grassy, so if I do this brew again I will leave the Nectaron in for the full ferment (I left them in for 7 days of the 12 day ferment) as recommended.

The Botanic is similar to Coopers Sparkling but I feel a bit better, with a different hop profile and also the Juniper berries. I would brew this one again.

2643e.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

Cracked the keg of Botanic ale and I am quite pleased with the results.

9 days in the keg. I am not noticing a big influence from the Juniper berries, but maybe my senses are not tuned for that. I am getting some influence from the Nectaron hops, not overpowering at all or grassy, so if I do this brew again I will leave the Nectaron in for the full ferment (I left them in for 7 days of the 12 day ferment) as recommended.

The Botanic is similar to Coopers Sparkling but I feel a bit better, with a different hop profile and also the Juniper berries. I would brew this one again.

2643e.jpg

Your review is very encouraging.

My version reached a stable final gravity (1.010) tonight.  Therefore, I started its cold crash.  I am going to leave the Nectaron hops in all the way through the ferment.

The beer in the sample tube tasted much more fruity than I recalled the commercial version.  The smell from the fermenting fridge is also very nice.

• Like 5