Coopers Community

Whats in Your Fermenter - 2024?

Have a tooheys new megaswill clone almost at FG. Showing 1.007 and currently at 18c for the D Rest. This was using half my homegrown POR cones. I used 6% AA as an educated guess due to the size of the cones. Happy to say that I don't seem to be too far away. The sample tastes quite nice. Gonna make another with the rest of my POR hop cones later in the week and drop it on the yeast cake.

Screenshot_20240415_213532_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20240415_213542_BeerSmith 3.jpg

• Like 6

The fermenting vessels are back in  the laundry now, after spending the summer in the living room under the R/C air-con. Now they have a floor fan or small column heater to look after them. The power bill has not been too bad - no big jump because of nursing the beer.  On the right is my husband's WW lager at day 4. On the left is my Coopers Aust. Pale Ale, just 2hours old, and brewed with 1.5kg LDM and 11.5g US-05 yeast. I think I'll add 50g of Galaxy hops on about day 8.

20240416_095315[1].jpg

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, jennyss said:

The fermenting vessels are back in  the laundry now, after spending the summer in the living room under the R/C air-con. Now they have a floor fan or small column heater to look after them. The power bill has not been too bad - no big jump because of nursing the beer.  On the right is my husband's WW lager at day 4. On the left is my Coopers Aust. Pale Ale, just 2hours old, and brewed with 1.5kg LDM and 11.5g US-05 yeast. I think I'll add 50g of Galaxy hops on about day 8.

20240416_095315[1].jpg

If you have some 300mil jars Jenny save some of that 05 slurry for your next brews

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

20240416_095315[1].jpg

They look good Jenny, US-05 has a range of 18c - 26c according to SafAle website, so you would be well inside that at brewing at ambient temperatures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

That would be a big leap for me @Back Brewing; perhaps I'll be brave and give it a go!

OR bottle your hubby's brew then mix up your next batch in that fermenter then bottle your brew then tip the new brew on top of the 05 cake I honestly think jenny the way you are progressing you are ready to up your brewing methods and I'm confident you will belt it out of the park

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

then mix up your next batch in that fermenter

I was going to post in our brewing disasters thread; but it comes up here now! I am very nervous about FV hygiene and infections right now; because we have had our first brewing disaster 😭.  Brew no. 42, made back in January, was one of my husband's WW Lagers. We didn't taste it when bottling, so not until first taste after 28 days in the bottle did we find out it tastes disgusting! Sharp, thin and floaties - bleeech! Tipping them out this afternoon and giving the bottles the biggest clean. The FV has already been super sterilised and re-used - so far so good, up to Brew no. 50 with no more problems.

It's very hard to pin point where we went wrong, so we are being very cautious. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

17 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I was going to post in our brewing disasters thread; but it comes up here now! I am very nervous about FV hygiene and infections right now; because we have had our first brewing disaster 😭.  Brew no. 42, made back in January, was one of my husband's WW Lagers. We didn't taste it when bottling, so not until first taste after 28 days in the bottle did we find out it tastes disgusting! Sharp, thin and floaties - bleeech! Tipping them out this afternoon and giving the bottles the biggest clean. The FV has already been super sterilised and re-used - so far so good, up to Brew no. 50 with no more problems.

It's very hard to pin point where we went wrong, so we are being very cautious. 

At least you got on top of it and all is good  everyone will experience 1 or 2 bad batches in their brewing time 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jennyss said:

20240416_095315[1].jpg

You should grab yourself a couple of low wattage heater pads and Inkbird temp controllers. Great cheap way of keeping a brew at temp.

• Like 1

Just out of the 60 litre FV is 73 bottles of Brown Ale.  simply using a can of Cooper's Dark and any type of Lager or Draught to build it up to volume and whatever sugars and malt you desire to achieve the abv you're shooting at.  I used 3 cans in total and 1.5 kg of BE2 and LDME.  Delicious stuff.

20240413_152951.thumb.jpg.a542d126a251b3c7329b44ff1da996a3.jpg

PS: How good is harvesting yeast out of a 55 litre brew?

20240413_153055.thumb.jpg.6893e93f160b9ad904279e43962fa5f7.jpg

• Like 6

I am doing a coopers Lager and coopers stout at the same time as my local Woolies are discontinuing Coopers sadly. Bright side it was discounted to $7 for a can and even the BE2 was $7 Makes it super cheap per bottle and the stout should be nice for winter 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, glivo said:

Try doing a WW online order.  My local WW had no HB supplies, but I could order it online.  Next thing, it was on the shelves.

You would more than likely be better off getting it direct from coopers 6 cans at a time when free shipping applies. 

• Like 1

Did a Nut Brown Ale (sort of). Instead of the Coopers kit I used Lion Dark Ale kit that I have. I've got an idea to maybe do a Toucan with one of these and a can of Coopers Stout, but first I want to see how it tastes on it's own. I'm guessing the big difference will be the hops, Lion use Green Bullet and Pacific Gem in their kits.

Lion Dark Ale (1.7kg)

Light Crystal Malt (250g)

Maltexo (1.5kg)

22L, OG 1.042

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Mate the colour looks spot on hiw did it taste when you were bottling it?

It's still fermenting. SG is at about 1.017 (OG 1.038), looks like it's still got a little way to go.

• Like 1