Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

Belgian Pilsner, based on Stella Artois.  This was the one that was really clear in the fermenter after cold crashing.  However due to room temperature during packaging, the yeast was roused a little so the beer got quite hazy.  See the photo from kegging day.  It has cleared up nicely in the keg though.

• Nice herbal piney aroma
  • Crisp malty flavour with notes of herbal and pine, similar to the aroma
  • Good balanced bitterness
  • This seems very close to how I remember real imported Stella 
  • Nice to have an easy drinking tasty beer in the kegerator.  Unfortunately only a few litres left in the keg

IMG_4436.JPG.cd20b0a11d12028fd908a1a5d9508109.JPG

• Like 14

I am on my RyeRishRed ale and Guinness clones ATM as I have run out of my kegs of lager pub beers because by now, being colder I backed off brewing those as I thought I would appreciate a swerve over to the darker side about now.  But unfortunately it has not bode well as I am not usually a dark beer man but tried to persuade myself to not "shut the gate" and give some of these a full on crack this winter.

For some reason I just cannot get into these beers, not for a bit of a session anyway.  I prefer my old favorites, pub lagers and pale ales like my COPA recipe for this, then maybe, just maybe finish off with a dark beer.  It took me nearly a year to drink a keg of my Toohey's Old clone (AKA Darth Vader Beer) which was a nice beer and more sessionable than the ones I have on tap now.  Its just my tastes, the RyRishRed is good but its only good for a couple of glasses to me but my mate really likes it.

I have a 23 L batch of Coopers Sparkling Ale to keg up and a 44 L batch of my Premium Lager to keg also and really cannot wait to get those gassed up and on tap so I can get back to normal happy hour beers.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Tried one of my bottles of Wheaty McWheatFace tonight.

• Aromas of banana with bubble-gum notes
  • Banana and clove in the flavour
  • Very nice kit and (1.5) kilo
  • Hefe Wheat and Liquid Wheat Malt and WB-06 Wheat Yeast
  • Kegging my Czech Budvar in the background

IMG_4442.JPG.ed4cdaa987d62bbdc38f2124748c379d.JPG

Wow, that's an awesome colour & a nice head too. 😉 Looks like it has plenty of oomph!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Tried one of my bottles of Wheaty McWheatFace tonight.

• Aromas of banana with bubble-gum notes
  • Banana and clove in the flavour
  • Very nice kit and (1.5) kilo
  • Hefe Wheat and Liquid Wheat Malt and WB-06 Wheat Yeast
  • Kegging my Czech Budvar in the background

IMG_4442.JPG.ed4cdaa987d62bbdc38f2124748c379d.JPG

I like the recipe, if you only do the Weizen , would you half your amount of grains?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

I like the recipe, if you only do the Weizen , would you half your amount of grains?

Initially I was a bit confused by your question.  I also just realised that it is not a simple kit & kilo.  It was a mini-mash with grains as well.

So in my Whats in Your Fermenter notes for this brew, it shows:

Wheaty McWheatFace

• 1.7kg Coopers Preachers Hefe Wheat
  • 1.5kg Coopers Wheat Liquid Extract
  • 670g Coopers Wheat Malt Grains
  • 500g Coopers Ale Malt Grains

I also did the Wheaty McStoutFace at the same time.  Its recipe was:

Wheaty McStoutFace

• 1.7kg Coopers Stout

So the mini-mash was 

• 2 x 670g = 1.34kg Coopers Wheat Malt Grains
  • 2 x 500g = 1.0kg Coopers Ale Malt Grains

Given the way I presented the recipes, I can see how somebody might assume it was 670g of Wheat Malt and 500g of Ale Malt spread across both brews.

Each brew also got their own 1.5kg can of Coopers Wheat Liquid Extract.

In short you do not halve the amount of grains.  Each recipe effectively used the amount of grains shown.  I hope I explained that right.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Initially I was a bit confused by your question.  I also just realised that it is not a simple kit & kilo.  It was a mini-mash with grains as well.

So in my Whats in Your Fermenter notes for this brew, it shows:

Wheaty McWheatFace

• 1.7kg Coopers Preachers Hefe Wheat

I also did the Wheaty McStoutFace at the same time.  Its recipe was:

Wheaty McStoutFace

• 1.7kg Coopers Stout

So the mini-mash was 

• 2 x 670g = 1.34kg Coopers Wheat Malt Grains
  • 2 x 500g = 1.0kg Coopers Ale Malt Grains

Given the way I presented the recipes, I can see how somebody might assume it was 670g of Wheat Malt and 500g of Ale Malt spread across both brews.

Each brew also got their own 1.5kg can of Coopers Wheat Liquid Extract.

In short you do not halve the amount of grains.  Each recipe effectively used the amount of grains shown.  I hope I explained that right.

Perfect, thanks Shamus

• Like 3

My Espresso Martini.  This was one of the bottles, so no espresso coffee addition.  Still very nice for only 2 weeks in the bottle.

• Head died down to about 1/5th of its original size but that stayed around.
  • Tropical-fruity-coffee-chocolate aroma reminiscent of Jaffa lollies
  • Very similar flavour but with less tropical taste, and more subtle roast notes but definitely not harsh

IMG_4444.JPG.98a501a002bef2088a659ac3bbdd22f4.JPG

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

My Espresso Martini.  This was one of the bottles, so no espresso coffee addition.  Still very nice for only 2 weeks in the bottle.

• Head died down to about 1/5th of its original size but that stayed around.
  • Tropical-fruity-coffee-chocolate aroma reminiscent of Jaffa lollies
  • Very similar flavour but with less tropical taste, and more subtle roast notes but definitely not harsh

IMG_4444.JPG.98a501a002bef2088a659ac3bbdd22f4.JPG

Looks awesome Shamus. Beautiful head. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2024 at 4:45 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am thinking the keg of this beautiful stout is about to blow,  sad really as I have really enjoyed this one.

I must fire up the BewZilla & get things happening. 

20240602_164102.thumb.jpg.46d18204937278b7b921fba73c47b09d.jpg

Whats your goto recipe @Classic Brewing Co for a good stout using Coopers?

I'm thinking of brewing a little bit here and there some darker beers and bottling. Just simple K@K with a little grain or something.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Whats your goto recipe @Classic Brewing Co for a good stout using Coopers?

I'm thinking of brewing a little bit here and there some darker beers and bottling. Just simple K@K with a little grain or something.

TBH, Paley that was just a simple k & k for quick stock, nearly all gone in the keg but a few 500ml Hefe' bottles left.

I used the Cooper's Can, BE3 & 500gm LDME & kit yeast, as basic as you can get but it was really good.

I have another in the FV that has been jazzed up with some dark barley & Fuggles hops, Nottingham yeast.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

TBH, Paley that was just a simple k & k for quick stock, nearly all gone in the keg but a few 500ml Hefe' bottles left.

I used the Cooper's Can, BE3 & 500gm LDME & kit yeast, as basic as you can get but it was really good.

I have another in the FV that has been jazzed up with some dark barley & Fuggles hops, Nottingham yeast.

Update, keg just blew 😂 but I have hooked up a Pale Ale & a Session Ale, so it's tasting time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

First try of the new Pale Ale,  nice, I  have a few mates coming around on Monday for Charlie's birthday holiday,  I am going to put a sign up saying gold coin donation otherwise this would be gone in no time. 

20240608_155754.jpg

20240608_155440.jpg

All Grain ol sausage?

• Like 1

Pilly larger, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, then a Theakston’s Old Perc. Maturing them pays off, even if the Pale Ale (which is pretty hoppy) has become a bit maltier.

IMG_3209.jpeg

IMG_3211.jpeg

IMG_3213.jpeg

• Like 8