Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

On 8/22/2018 at 9:02 PM, Beerlust said:

Mismatch Brewing Co. Pale Ale: I love their XPA, it's a terrific beer. This beer has all the right things happening to my palate when I drank it for the ABV% it sits at.  For those that love Pirate Life beers, these guys are in the leading pack coming out of SA for quality craft beer (IMHO). Keep your eye out for their beers when you're out craft beer surfing.

Based on your review Lusty I tried to find the Mismatch beers. Dan’s and First Choice didn’t have them (surprise surprise) so I got in touch with Mismatch and there is only 1 place within about 60 minutes of my house that sell their line of beers but I rarely go to this place so it seems like I will have to wait for a while. 

BB

On 8/26/2018 at 7:33 PM, Hairy said:

The Bridge Road Wet Rain IPA is a nice drop. A lot maltier than expected.

I really liked that beer. When I had it a month or 2 ago it really reminded me of a much tastier jaffa. I can imagine that the hops are even more subdued now. I would have liked to taste it at a couple of weeks of age!

Cheers, 

John

On 8/27/2018 at 6:51 PM, Hairy said:

I still like a Little Creatures Pale Ale. It isn’t as mind blowing as some other pale ales out there but I have a soft spot for it and it is still a well made beer.

Some of their single batch limited release beers in the pint bottles were awesome.

+1 to everything Hairy said.

I've just polished off two pints of Little Creatures Pale Ale from the tap & still enjoy it & buy it by the 6pk from time to time. Their single batch stuff was really, really good.

Just recently I bought some Vale Ale again after quite a hiatus. It is still a terrific Pale Ale. I've since bought another 6pk of it.

The good beers don't stop being good beers, they just take a back seat to newer beers & failing memories. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi all,

Bit of a mixed bag this Friday evening. Big Shed Boozy Fruit. Amazing how they got it to taste like juicy fruit, not really my thing but had to try it! Also had a few cans from Modus Operandi, Sonic Prayer IPA and the Pale Ale. Got a Mismatch Archies Red Ipa next, an excellent IPA Ive had before. Bit of a warm up before I head to Big Shed for my birthday lunch tomorrow. 

20180831_160127.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/1/2018 at 8:32 PM, The Captain1525230099 said:

NZ Pils!

??

B5C704A2-4034-4D53-ACFD-0EF82809DE2E.jpeg

Looks nice mate.

The labelling is somewhat deceptive though. If I picked up a beer and just saw it called 'pilsner', I'd expect something that tasted traditional since there's nothing on it to indicate any differently (unless it's on the unseen other side of course). I'm guessing being a NZ version it doesn't taste very traditional. ?

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Looks nice mate.

The labelling is somewhat deceptive though. If I picked up a beer and just saw it called 'pilsner', I'd expect something that tasted traditional since there's nothing on it to indicate any differently (unless it's on the unseen other side of course). I'm guessing being a NZ version it doesn't taste very traditional. ?

I can see your point there mate. And no there’s nothing else on the other side to say that it’s a nz pils or a traditional one. 

However, personally, when I saw this bottle labeled Pilsner, I knew straight away that it wasn’t the traditional type and knew it was the new fandangled NZ pils I have became fond of. Plus I knew the brand parrotdog was from NZ. 

I do wish that beer labelling would get it bloody right though. If it’s nz pils it should be labeled that. 

Captain 

• Like 1

It's not that tricky. Call the traditional one Czech/Bohemian pilsner and the NZ one NZ pils/pilsner. Easy, and everyone knows exactly what they are. 

Monteith's does a Bohemian pilsner, named as such on the labels. It's not exactly like a Czech brewed one but it's close, and nothing like a new world version.

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I make Czech pilsner all the time but I'm obviously not there ?

They should have followed the lead of the folks in Cologne and trademarked/reserved the name.

Surprised no one has bailed me, Ben 10, Lusty, etc when we talk about brewing our Kölsch beers - well they are "Kölsch-style" beers to be exact!!

17 minutes ago, joolbag said:

They should have followed the lead of the folks in Cologne and trademarked/reserved the name.

Surprised no one has bailed me, Ben 10, Lusty, etc when we talk about brewing our Kölsch beers - well they are "Kölsch-style" beers to be exact!!

Kelsey is the only one that cares but he really only cares about Pilsners.

• Haha 1