Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

I'm going to dedicate something to sours when I get back home... loving the weird shit I have been drinking.

Having a Little bang - Breakfast at Stepney oatmeal stout at the moment.
The Parade Cellars is the best bottle shop I have been in.

Edited by Ben 10
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

research time...

I find the kettles sours a bit one dimensional but some of the barrel aged sours I’ve had were amazingly complex and probably right up your alley Ben, however, waiting for 12-18 months for a beer. 

I guess you could blend a new fresh beer into it too then. 

Captain

11 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I find the kettles sours a bit one dimensional but some of the barrel aged sours I’ve had were amazingly complex and probably right up your alley Ben, however, waiting for 12-18 months for a beer. 

I guess you could blend a new fresh beer into it too then. 

Captain

You can drink other beers whilst you wait. You don't have to go cold turkey for 12-18 months null

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Hairy said:

You can drink other beers whilst you wait. You don't have to go cold turkey for 12-18 months null

Like throwing in an experimental beer when you have too much “normal” beers cause it doesn’t matter if ya stuff it up. 

Ive often thought about barrel aging as it’s pretty easy to get wine barrels around here but it’s the 200l of brewing to get the barrel full that’s put me off ha ha ha

Captain

12 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Like throwing in an experimental beer when you have too much “normal” beers cause it doesn’t matter if ya stuff it up. 

Ive often thought about barrel aging as it’s pretty easy to get wine barrels around here but it’s the 200l of brewing to get the barrel full that’s put me off ha ha ha

Captain

Sounds like you need to organise a barrel co-op

4 minutes ago, Hermoor said:

Sounds like you need to organise a barrel co-op

I’ve tried, none of the home brewers I know are interested. But that’s mainly because of space.  In an ideal temp room etc. 

i tried my local brewery that is a family friend and he’s just interested in selling up unfortunately. And yes, I did think about buying it too ha ha ha

• Thanks 1

It's not Friday but football is on and I'm on leave.  Went into Liquorland and picked up a 6 pack of Radenberger Pilsner.  I havn't had a Pilsner in quite a while, really nice. Maybe after the lager finally finishes I might squeeze one in before the weather warms up

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

The brut IPA is a real thing isn’t it. Heaps of people on to it

Is it fermented with a champagne yeast? ?

Interesting if it is. It would have some similarities to a Saison.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I will find out if I can but  I would  say hop wise it I think has nelson sav and bravo 7% abv I will ask . A question for you lusty  I want to do a All grain Saison what hops do you think I was going to use danstar yeast and Simpsons golden promise tetteneger  maybe??? cheers

Edited by therealthing691

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Is it fermented with a champagne yeast? ?

Interesting if it is. It would have some similarities to a Saison.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty,

i don’t believe it’s champagne yeast, well at least not all the time. Maybe to finish it off.

The main contributor to getting it bone dry is an enzyme. glucoamylase.

After reading about this a few months ago I too thought it was champagne yeast however now understand it’s basically a hoppy pale (IPA), turn the bitterness down to a 2:1 ratio to og:ibu. So hit around 30.

tropical punch it with NZ hops including your precious Nelson Sauvin and then drop the enzyme. 

Tropical, white wine bubbly beer.

Captain 

1 hour ago, therealthing691 said:

A question for you lusty  I want to do a All grain Saison what hops do you think I was going to use danstar yeast and Simpsons golden promise tetteneger  maybe??? cheers

I’m not Lusty (and I give thanks for this each day) but Saaz is nice if you are going for traditional hops. But I used Sorachi Ace in my last Saison and it was fantastic.