Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

3 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Hey Lusty,

i don’t believe it’s champagne yeast, well at least not all the time. Maybe to finish it off.

The main contributor to getting it bone dry is an enzyme. glucoamylase.

After reading about this a few months ago I too thought it was champagne yeast however now understand it’s basically a hoppy pale (IPA), turn the bitterness down to a 2:1 ratio to og:ibu. So hit around 30.

tropical punch it with NZ hops including your precious Nelson Sauvin and then drop the enzyme. 

Tropical, white wine bubbly beer.

Captain 

It is very dry I will ask them they might tell or might not

Most recipes I’ve come across are very much like a NEIPA without the oats and the massive dry hop stages. Kinda like below.

OG: 1.045-50, FG 1.002-3 but really as low as you dare.

90% Base malt

10% Wheat

mash temp 64

15g Centennial or Columbus or similar bittering hop 15 mins

then load up on the Nelson, waiti, galaxy, Motueka, at flameout. To a bitterness around 25-30 but def not above 30. 

Chill. 

Add to fermenter at pitching temp. 

Pitch glucoamylase, and yeast such as a cleaner style yeast, WPL001, west coast ale, san deigo super, or a cleaner English yeast. 

60g Dry hop of Nelson or galaxy or similar fruity after fermentation for a few days. 

Cold crash.

co2 to 2.5-3 vols 

Captain

Edited by The Captain1525230099

18 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Hey Lusty,

i don’t believe it’s champagne yeast, well at least not all the time. Maybe to finish it off.

The main contributor to getting it bone dry is an enzyme. glucoamylase.

After reading about this a few months ago I too thought it was champagne yeast however now understand it’s basically a hoppy pale (IPA), turn the bitterness down to a 2:1 ratio to og:ibu. So hit around 30.

tropical punch it with NZ hops including your precious Nelson Sauvin and then drop the enzyme. 

Tropical, white wine bubbly beer.

So it's a dry enzyme beer. I'm not much of a fan of these beers, but to be fair I've never had one that was hopped up to defeat the blandness.

20 hours ago, therealthing691 said:

...A question for you lusty I want to do a All grain Saison what hops do you think I was going to use danstar yeast and Simpsons golden promise tetteneger maybe??? 

+1 to the hop suggestions already offered.

For a sneaky one that doesn't get a lot of airplay, perhaps consider Ella. I used it in place of Saaz in the last Saison I made. It turned out a nice beer.

Cheers & good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

Tonight I tried a Galaxy Pale Ale from Toy Soldier Brewing Co. I met the brewer, he started out just like us, brewing at home.  Had this beer everyone liked.  He did a TAFE course, got a licence and now has his own beer company. 

The beer is really good, plenty of Galaxy hop flavour and aroma, not much head but I blame my glass for that,the wife tried to help and put it in the dishwasher.  Hopefully the photo works.

Edited by Hermoor

Not quite a Friday night six pack but tonight I had dinner with three mates at Keg and Barrel in Port Noarlunga, great steakhouse with some great craft  beers on tap.  I started the night with Thug Life IPA and finished with Shifty Lizzards Stouty Mac Stout Face. Also in there was a hopped porter which was good but can't remember the name. 

Grabbed a six of this. 

Mans like the beer name i can’t believe it’s a mid. 

Sensational plums and funk. 

Not only is a saison like beer with a little funk, it’s subtle and the plum makes it tarty. 

Great beer.

486427A4-9518-4B1B-9E0D-BB8D9468BA99.jpeg

Tinny mixer from the supremely well-stocked Liquor Legends at Ashfield Mall:

IMG_20180720_161358_109.thumb.jpg.ec97033ba2449ffcc04fc46219514165.jpg

This is to celebrate half an hour of having the house and backyard tidy before the kids get back from preschool. That time is well over already...

It's in drinking order. The Sublime beer is better than expected... but I was never gonna not buy it.

So, the cooler weather being here I ordered a few bottles of whisky, all with at least a bit of Islay malt in them of course. One of which was an old favourite the Lagavulin 16. Turns out it was cheapest to buy it along with a single can of Woolshed Blood Orange NEIPA due to discount code trickery ($75 for the pair delivered in the end).

Of course the Lagavulin is sensational. The Woolshed however was good but not great. I really like the way it tastes just like blood oranges from the Riverland, but do not like the almost complete absence of bitterness at all.

I have to give a special mention to Douglas Laing's 'Big Peat', which might even be tastier than my long-favoured Lagavulin. I still have a lot of both to get through before making up my mind.

Cheers,

John

23 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

So, the cooler weather being here I ordered a few bottles of whisky, all with at least a bit of Islay malt in them of course. One of which was an old favourite the Lagavulin 16.

I'm familiar with this Scotch whisky John, & was just curious how you drink & enjoy it. Neat? On the rocks? With a little water? With a little soda water?

Cheers,

Lusty.

7 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I'm familiar with this Scotch whisky John, & was just curious how you drink & enjoy it. Neat? On the rocks? With a little water? With a little soda water?

Cheers,

Lusty.

G'day Lusty,

I enjoy it in my Glencairn with 3 or 4 drops of water. That's pretty much how I like to taste all the whisky I buy, although I found adding more a splash (rather than drops) of water to the Ardbeg Uigeadail suited it better when I had a bottle of that around, and being 54% ABV I could sample it at a variety of dilutions.

I was tempted to try a Corryvreckan this time which I imagine would similarly taste at its best with a little more water, but it's just a bit too pricey for me. I was aiming to spend around $200 total, so I went for the Lagavulin as a single malt and Big Peat and Six Isles for a couple of vatted malts which took me to just under $210 all up. I'm happy, all 3 are very tasty!

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, porschemad911 said:

I enjoy it in my Glencairn with 3 or 4 drops of water. 

That’s how I drink my whisky with the same glass. And Lagavulin is also my favourite.

Perhaps we are related after all.

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2018 at 5:00 PM, jeremy-o said:

Tinny mixer from the supremely well-stocked Liquor Legends at Ashfield Mall:

IMG_20180720_161358_109.thumb.jpg.ec97033ba2449ffcc04fc46219514165.jpg

Been meaning to go to this bottle shop Jeremy. It's within bike riding distance of where I live. I'll check it out, even though I have more home brew than I can drink (plus not drinking at the moment)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the weekend down in the town I was originally born in, Pemberton WA. I’ve never taken the wife there. 

So spent the weekend skipping through the gastronomy of the Pemberton wine region. 

Stopped at the local brewery for lunch and had a few of these. 

Then bought a 6er to bring home.

Great IPA.

Captain

27182839-5298-4703-8052-25B1FAA0069E.jpeg

• Like 2