Coopers Community

To roll, or not to roll, that is the question?

Oldbloke

Does it really matter? Clear beer that is. 

Some here go to great lengths to make crystal clear beer.

Some filter, cold crash, decant into another FV, blah, blah, in an effort to achieve the ultimate clear beer.

Coopers used to recommend rolling a stubby before drinking to stir up the yeast.  😅

Me, I just brew and bottle, time takes care of the rest.  😉  If it's a dark one, who cares?

To me if it tastes good, I'm OK with that. 

What do you blokes think?

Does it matter to you? 

Is it all worth the effort?

Or is it BS and marketing?

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

Coopers used to recommend rolling a stubby before drinking

They still do, it's on the reverse label.

I totally agree with this part & I do it all of the time for obvious reasons, they have been making beer for 160 years, you would think they would know.

As far as clear beer, yes, it is nice, but I am not fussed about it.

Cold crashing does have its place & is beneficial, but I don't always do it.

• Like 1

I've never been a fan of Clear Beer

If I'm drinking Coopers, I always give it a roll.

And with my homebrew, I don't cold crash or add any extras to clear the beer.

My beer turns out clear enough and I'm happy to drink it!

• Like 2

I guess Coopers recommends rolling, so the sediment is evenly distributed and you don't get a "hit" with the last sip. 

Clarity in a dark beer is pointless really and in an ale in general, I don't mind if it is cloudy. But a lager I want clear. I know it is more about aesthetics than anything but the clean and crisp image of a lager doesn't go well with cloudy beer. I'm not going to jump through hoops but I do what I can to clear them up nicely. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

I guess Coopers recommends rolling, so the sediment is evenly distributed and you don't get a "hit" with the last sip. 

Clarity in a dark beer is pointless really and in an ale in general, I don't mind if it is cloudy. But a lager I want clear. I know it is more about aesthetics than anything but the clean and crisp image of a lager doesn't go well with cloudy beer. I'm not going to jump through hoops but I do what I can to clear them up nicely. 

I agree, personally I leave the wort in the fermenter for 14 days & that does help a bit.

I have also found since I began kegging it clears up much better than it ever did in bottles.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 4:58 PM, Oldbloke said:

Does it really matter? Clear beer that is. 

Some here go to great lengths to make crystal clear beer.

Some filter, cold crash, decant into another FV, blah, blah, in an effort to achieve the ultimate clear beer.

Coopers used to recommend rolling a stubby before drinking to stir up the yeast.  😅

Me, I just brew and bottle, time takes care of the rest.  😉  If it's a dark one, who cares?

To me if it tastes good, I'm OK with that. 

What do you blokes think?

Does it matter to you? 

Is it all worth the effort?

Or is it BS and marketing?

I prefer my beers as clear as possible. Not for the appearance but so I consume less sediment and in turn I get less flatulence. Kegging has been beneficial in reducing sediment/providing clearer beer.
I've cold crashed a few times but I have my doubts on the benefits of doing it. Once you put your finished beers in the fridge they'll basically be cold crashed anyway, IMHO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

I prefer my beers as clear as possible. Not for the appearance but so I consume less sediment and in turn I get less flatulence. Kegging has been beneficial in reducing sediment/providing clearer beer.
I've cold crashed a few times but I have my doubts on the benefits of doing it. Once you put your finished beers in the fridge they'll basically be cold crashed anyway, IMHO.

So you mean you haven't noticed cold crashed beer is better in the keg than if you did not do it? 

I found when I did not CC it the first 5 or more glasses sucked up all the crap that gives the gas.

I have same problem as you regards yeast and sediment for gas and reflux even. 

There is even more crap at the bottom of a non CC keg to clean out.

Are you still using the plastic kegs where the tube sits higher? In the steel kegs the tube is so low as you said they cold crash while in there then suck up the crap pouring the first however many.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

So you mean you haven't noticed cold crashed beer is better in the keg than if you did not do it? 

I found when I did not CC it the first 5 or more glasses sucked up all the crap that gives the gas.

I have same problem as you regards yeast and sediment for gas and reflux even. 

There is even more crap at the bottom of a non CC keg to clean out.

Are you still using the plastic kegs where the tube sits higher? In the steel kegs the tube is so low as you said they cold crash while in there then suck up the crap pouring the first however many.

I too cold-crash everything, regardless of whether I put finings in, and I cannot complain about much sediment in my kegs. Even during bottling days, cold crashing dramatically reduced the amount of sediment in the bottles and by extension, flatulence. 

• Like 2

It’s depends on the style to me if it’s a yeast driven beer like a hef, then I don’t fine if it’s a lager eg, Australian lager I like it clear so I fine with gelatine and cold crash in saying that I cold crash all my beers anyway as they will be chilled before going in the keg so more efficient carbonation. If it’s a hop driven ipa I like it cloudy also!

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Malter White said:

I agree Malter, kegging does tend to clear up better than bottling does. I too don't bother to CC anymore; I have never noticed much difference & the beer is fine IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

It’s depends on the style to me if it’s a yeast driven beer like a hef, then I don’t fine if it’s a lager eg, Australian lager I like it clear so I fine with gelatine and cold crash in saying that I cold crash all my beers anyway as they will be chilled before going in the keg so more efficient carbonation. If it’s a hop driven ipa I like it cloudy also!

I only roll Coopers cans/stubby's/longnecks & occasional other brand of pales etc. As @Aussiekraut has said a few times the German style beers are best drank as they are.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I dont roll Coopers Pale or Sparkling, and let them sit in the fridge for a while to settle. I prefer to drink them clearer, and just my opinion I think helps with head retention.

At the end of the day, I suppose it doesn't really matter but as you say you prefer to drink them clearer, I am the opposite as I don't mind the hop matter floating around.

That's the beauty of choice - something for everyone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer a clear beer, not a fan of putting all the sediment and yeast into the stomach, CC definitely helps with that aspect. My lagers are cold crashed for around 5-7 days and after 2 weeks in the keg, they are pretty much crystal clear.  

• Like 4

If I'm down the pub, I have to specifically ask the pretty young things behind the bar to roll my Coops before opening, otherwise they have no idea. Beers I brew with CCA yeast or BRY-97 get rolled, too. Brews with US-05 and others get poured carefully to avoid cloudiness as much as possible.

• Like 1