• 25g Sticklebract (steep)
  • 25g Bramling Cross (steep)
  • Kveik Voss

🧑‍🍳

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Conclusion - it suddenly dawned on me - dumme Fotze !!

Lucky not everybody here knows what that means.  The dutch would say "stomme kut" 😂 

But hey, we all have our blonde moments 🙂 

• Haha 2

Samuel Adams Boston Lager today.

Interesting but successful brew day today.  It did not quite go to plan, but turned out better than I hoped.

Planned/Predicted

Actual

Batch Volume

30 L

33.5 L

Fermenter top up

8 L

10 L

Brewhouse Efficiency

69%

78%

OG

FG

1.008*

ABV

5.6%

5.9%*

IBU

EBC

BU:GU

*Assuming 85% Attenuation (that’s around what I got for the last two brews done with this yeast)

I do not know how I got such a high efficiency with this brew.  When I have a high grain volume >7kg, my Brewhouse Efficiency is usually under 70%.  The things that might have helped with the high efficiency were: The mash profile for this brew is much longer than usual; I stirred the grains 3 or 4 times during the mash; and added Rice hulls to the mash.

Recipe:

• 5.38kg Pale Malt - Joe White Traditional Ale
  • 1.14kg Maris Otter - Simpsons
  • 280g Crystal Malt
  • 250g Melanoidin
  • 220g Acidulated Malt
  • 160g Rice hulls
  • 14g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 60 minute boil
  • 70g Tettnang and 54g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 10 minute boil
  • 40g Tettnang and 29g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh Dry hop
  • Mineral additions for an Amber Lager profile
  • Added a pinch of Sodium Metabisulfite to neutralise the chlorine in the water
  • The wort was pitched straight onto the Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast cake from my Stella Artois lager

Mash profile:

• Saccharification 40°C 30 minutes
  • Step 1 50°C 30 minutes
  • Step 2 68°C 90 minutes
  • Mashout 75°C 10 minutes

Fermenting under pressure at 15psi and 25°C.

Mashing in streaming The Racket on Triple J

IMG_3029.JPG.d271304c88393e99dc1edd3ddb352faa.JPG

Colour looking wonderful

IMG_3030.JPG.7defd3a8d539edd586d95692bb180711.JPG

• Like 10

Prickly whiskers English Bitter

Partial mash with the amber ale as a base:

1.7kg Family secret amber ale

1 kg golden promise malt

300g victory malt

200g best ale malt

500g golden syrup

25g Fuggles at 15 min

25g Fuggles at 1 min

Nottingham yeast

10ml clarity ferm 

Will ferment this one at 20 degrees 

F5FED09C-D0E1-4B18-837C-E4EB0843223E.thumb.jpeg.410995b826b5e88af706480605e99003.jpeg

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

1 kg golden promise malt

300g victory malt

200g best ale malt

Looks very nice @Tone boy Toner : )

So do you Partial Mashers do the Mash in a bag at 67 degC or whatever preferred mash for an hour and then boil for an hour once the grain is removed - or how is it done - checking for a mate who does good Coopers KnK and to whom I can mill and provide some grain to - but am wondering what the best way forward is... with Crystal Malts I think you can just steep and throw it in with the Wort... but am wondering whether you do more w non-X malted grains?

Looks like you are doing the boil up above and your hop schedule would indicate same I guess... 

Edited by Itinerant Peasant

46 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Looks very nice @Tone boy Toner : )

So do you Partial Mashers do the Mash in a bag at 67 degC or whatever preferred mash for an hour and then boil for an hour once the grain is removed - or how is it done - checking for a mate who does good Coopers KnK and to whom I can mill and provide some grain to - but am wondering what the best way forward is... with Crystal Malts I think you can just steep and throw it in with the Wort... but am wondering whether you do more w non-X malted grains?

Looks like you are doing the boil up above and your hop schedule would indicate same I guess... 

Hey @Itinerant Peasant Great man, 

Yes I mash for an hour at around 67 degrees, although it drops a little bit over the hour as I mash in an insulated drinks esky - so no heat source added, just some woolen blankets around the esky. My strike water is usually 5 litres at about 74 degrees. My ratio is approx 3.3 litres/kg grain.
Once mash is done I tip the wort into a pot on the stove, and batch sparge the grains for 10 mins with another 2.5 litres per kilo of grain, then tip that in too. 
My grains are contained within a paint strainer bag, which I just wash and reuse. You can buy a pack of 3 for about $10, but I’m still on my first one.

I boil for about 1/2 hour, then usually add hops at flameout (or close to it) and transfer the pot to a laundry trough with cold water for 20 mins or longer to cool. Then I strain that into the FV. Everything else is just usual K&K process from there onwards. 
I got my process from the magnificent @ChristinaS1 who was a partial mashing legend before departing the site.

Yes those crystal malts you can just steep, but I like to chuck in some base malts as well, and they need mashing…

Happy to share anything else regards partial mashing dude.

Peace and good vibes to you IP ✌️🍻👍

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

regards partial mashing

Mate that is pure Gold @Tone boy Toner - covered all bases... really very much appreciated - Tanku 🙂

And hey yeah would agree w your using base malt not just X... good stuff!

My gut feel now would be that for Partial People that trying some Wheat or Weyermann Carapils or other Dextrin Malt would be a good addition to a Partial maybe?

I just not that long ago acquired some Wy Carapils and I reckon it has a nice input for that creamy texture, head, head retention like the good old malted Wheat has as well.

Cheer and thanks for the help mate ; )

PS my experience is that the Flameout Hop addition is a great way to go luvyerwork!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Mate that is pure Gold @Tone boy Toner - covered all bases... really very much appreciated - Tanku 🙂

And hey yeah would agree w your using base malt not just X... good stuff!

My gut feel now would be that for Partial People that trying some Wheat or Weyermann Carapils or other Dextrin Malt would be a good addition to a Partial maybe?

I just not that long ago acquired some Wy Carapils and I reckon it has a nice input for that creamy texture, head, head retention like the good old malted Wheat has as well.

Cheer and thanks for the help mate ; )

PS my experience is that the Flameout Hop addition is a great way to go luvyerwork!

Yes the carapils is a good idea Pez (IP, Pezzy, Pez 😉) for head retention etc as you say. When I use it I’ll add up to 250g.

Some brews I don’t use it, such as the ESB I just made today, because I want to get as much of the traditional malts in there to boost the flavour. Those beers always have awesome head retention anyway, as do the ones with crystal additions.

If I’m making a partial mash lager, it’ll be Pilsner and carapils as the main grains used.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Yes the carapils is a good idea Pez (IP, Pezzy, Pez 😉) for head retention etc as you say. When I use it I’ll add up to 250g.

Some brews I don’t use it, such as the ESB I just made today, because I want to get as much of the traditional malts in there to boost the flavour. Those beers always have awesome head retention anyway, as do the ones with crystal additions.

If I’m making a partial mash lager, it’ll be Pilsner and carapils as the main grains used.

Yumm @Tone boy Toner sounds very good!

Have you tried the Lally Dry ESB Yeast at all for an Ale - Old Pec- UK Bitter - Real Ale - type thingy at all?

It is worth a crack at some stage...

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/product-details/london-esb-english-style-ale-yeast/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Yumm @Tone boy Toner sounds very good!

Have you tried the Lally Dry ESB Yeast at all for an Ale - Old Pec- UK Bitter - Real Ale - type thingy at all?

It is worth a crack at some stage...

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/product-details/london-esb-english-style-ale-yeast/

Yep I’ve had a crack at that one (London)…very tasty indeed. It finishes with a little bit higher FG which is good if you like a bit more malt flavour.

My most recent one I used good old Nottingham which turned out nicely too. Haven’t tried Windsor in an ESB yet…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tone boy said:

It finishes with a little bit higher FG which is good if you like a bit more malt flavour.

👍

Yes mate it is one of those bizarre peculiar things that the amazing range of brewing yeasts offers and in this case the festive London Ale Yeast does not ferment out one of the malt components maltotriose and hence slightly higher FG and the malty flavour... peculiar... haha and seems to make a nice Old Peculier Clone 😋

London does not utilize the sugar maltotriose (a molecule composed of 3 glucose units). Maltotriose comprises an average of 10-15% of total sugar in all-malt worts. The result will be fuller body and residual sweetness in the beer. Be advised to adjust gravities and mash temperatures according to desired result.

Just only noticed now that Old Peculier is spelled with an -ier not an -iar

... which may have something to do with the interesting history of the festive Brew

and its Masham Yorkshire Brewery location ? 

The name pays tribute to the unique ecclesiastical status of Masham as a ‘Court of the Peculier’ and is also a reference to the strong characteristic of the beer! For many years it was affectionately referred to as Yorkshire’s ‘Lunatic’s Broth’.

There are so many different and festive Brews across the world and seems making beer yerself the opportunities are endless ? 😆

image.png.175a1bf94df4cc1503c9be835484b35f.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

👍

Yes mate it is one of those bizarre peculiar things that the amazing range of brewing yeasts offers and in this case the festive London Ale Yeast does not ferment out one of the malt components maltotriose and hence slightly higher FG and the malty flavour... peculiar... haha and seems to make a nice Old Peculier Clone 😋

London does not utilize the sugar maltotriose (a molecule composed of 3 glucose units). Maltotriose comprises an average of 10-15% of total sugar in all-malt worts. The result will be fuller body and residual sweetness in the beer. Be advised to adjust gravities and mash temperatures according to desired result.

Just only noticed now that Old Peculier is spelled with an -ier not an -iar

... which may have something to do with the interesting history of the festive Brew

and its Masham Yorkshire Brewery location ? 

The name pays tribute to the unique ecclesiastical status of Masham as a ‘Court of the Peculier’ and is also a reference to the strong characteristic of the beer! For many years it was affectionately referred to as Yorkshire’s ‘Lunatic’s Broth’.

There are so many different and festive Brews across the world and seems making beer yerself the opportunities are endless ? 😆

image.png.175a1bf94df4cc1503c9be835484b35f.png

I think I may have descended from the Court of the Peculier 😬

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, interceptor said:

Nice, what yeast? Looks pacific ale-ish

Hopefully. Usually gets a pretty decent dry hop too. 

I've used Verdant and the Lal New England. I reckon the Verdant was better. I was gunna use that again but I've got a pouch of Bluestone New England that probably needs using.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2022 at 5:08 PM, Tone boy said:

Hey @Itinerant Peasant Great man, 

Yes I mash for an hour at around 67 degrees, although it drops a little bit over the hour as I mash in an insulated drinks esky - so no heat source added, just some woolen blankets around the esky. My strike water is usually 5 litres at about 74 degrees. My ratio is approx 3.3 litres/kg grain.
Once mash is done I tip the wort into a pot on the stove, and batch sparge the grains for 10 mins with another 2.5 litres per kilo of grain, then tip that in too. 
My grains are contained within a paint strainer bag, which I just wash and reuse. You can buy a pack of 3 for about $10, but I’m still on my first one.

I boil for about 1/2 hour, then usually add hops at flameout (or close to it) and transfer the pot to a laundry trough with cold water for 20 mins or longer to cool. Then I strain that into the FV. Everything else is just usual K&K process from there onwards. 
I got my process from the magnificent @ChristinaS1 who was a partial mashing legend before departing the site.

Yes those crystal malts you can just steep, but I like to chuck in some base malts as well, and they need mashing…

Happy to share anything else regards partial mashing dude.

Peace and good vibes to you IP ✌️🍻👍

Vey much like my PM process - though I mash in a pot on the stove which is also the same pot the wort is boiled in.  I set the stovetop elements thermostat to the lowest setting which I find helps maintain the temperature reasonably constant for the mash duration.  I brew in a bag also so after mash I just simply lift the grain bag up, slip a large colander in underneath and allow the grain to then drain into the pot while meanwhile turning the heat up to max to eventually achieve a boil.  I sparge with a few litres of hot water and after give the bag a good squeeze!   Like you, I also usually boil for just 30 mins, and add hop additions at appropriate times according to recipe requirements.  And again like you I then take the pot, with maybe 7-8 litres of wort to the laundry tub for cooling!  Because I most often ferment with Kveik I don't need to cool very much however as my target pitch temperature is 35 - 40ºC.  A short cooling period plus the top-up water usually get's me in that temp range at which point I pitch my Voss slurry and look forward to a healthy fermentation a few hours later.   🤓

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Very much like my PM process

Gold. Thanks for this Sandy @BlackSands mate - and with Crystal Malts do you add them late to the mash and then they just get removed with all the grains and the solution then goes into the boil?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Gold. Thanks for this Sandy @BlackSands mate - and with Crystal Malts do you add them late to the mash and then they just get removed with all the grains and the solution then goes into the boil?

No, generally all grains go into the mash together - same as you usually do with an all-grain brew.  The only exception may be that some apparently like to steep their dark grains when brewings porters/stouts etc  (e.g. roasted barley, black malt etc) in cold water seperately to minimise burnt, acrid flavours getting into the beer.   

• Like 2

Today I did a very quick keg filler extract brew, to keep the stocks up.

1.7kg Thomas Coopers 86 Day's Pilsner

1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt Extract

400g Pilsner DME

22l batch

pressure fermenting in the kegmenter with "Ol Faithfull" Dubbya (W34/70) aiming for 23° - 24° or so and 15psi.

Planning on a saaz hop tea of 25g of saaz done in a coffee plunger and added to the keg.

Brewfather predicted an OG of 1.047 which I overshot with 1.051. IBU of 38.

I am planning an AG brew day this week as well, just have to get another shelf built for the ferment fridge 1st.

• Like 6

Made beer today

Recipe: Untitled Recipe

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 49.3 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)    Grain         1          40.0 %        1.30 L        
1.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          30.0 %        0.98 L        
1.00 kg          Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)             Grain         3          20.0 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         4          10.0 %        0.33 L        
20.00 g          Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min            Hop           5          29.9 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           6          10.2 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20 Hop           7          9.2 IBUs      -             

Yeast of some sort
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Well, I totally screwed this one up!  😩 

Got distracted during the mash... long(ish) story short, when I finally returned to check the mash temp it was at 80ºC !!   I brew on a stove top so my "temperature control" for the mash relies on me checking regularly and adjusting if necessary.   

So, instead of an extimated OG of around 1.037 it landed at pitiful 1.027.   I ended up addingd 350g sugar to make up for the deficit. Hopefully it will still be a pleasant enough beer, even if not quite the brew that was intended.    

🙄

NZ Red (20 litre batch)

• 2.4kg GF Ale MAlt
  • 400g GF Redback Malt
  • 100g Flaked Barley
  • 100g GF Dark Crystal
  • 50g Patent Black Malt
  • 25g Sticklebract @20mins
  • 25g Bramling Cross @10mins
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Kveik Voss
Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Well, I totally screwed this one up!  😩 

Got distracted during the mash... long(ish) story short, when I finally returned to check the mash temp it was at 80ºC !!   I brew on a stove top so my "temperature control" for the mash relies on me checking regularly and adjusting if necessary.   

So, instead of an extimated OG of around 1.037 it landed at pitiful 1.027.   I ended up addingd 350g sugar to make up for the deficit. Hopefully it will still be a pleasant enough beer, even if not quite the brew that was intended.    

🙄

NZ Red (20 litre batch)

• 2.4kg GF Ale MAlt
  • 400g GF Redback Malt
  • 100g Flaked Barley
  • 100g GF Dark Crystal
  • 50g Patent Black Malt
  • 25g Sticklebract @20mins
  • 25g Bramling Cross @10mins
  • 5g Gypsum
  • Kveik Voss

Sounds like you have it under control BS, certainly a high temp for mashing 😲 but I am sure we will see a nice photo of it soon.

• Like 2