Coopers Community

SMARTPHONE - WHAT HAVE YOU GOT ?

18 hours ago, xjjohnn0 said:

Xiaomi MI9 Lite.

Had the Samsung S3 as my only Samsung and considered it along with Apple and other brands as grossly over priced considering the main purpose of ownership is making phone calls.

Actually, my phone is used much more for doing other things than making phone calls. It is a general communicator, it's my calendar, my address book, my news paper, used for playing the occasional game, it is my sat nav and my music player in the car, heck my Covid vaccination certificate is on it too. It switches my remote power points and it is my camera. I'd be totally lost without it.

If I just wanted to make calls, I'd dig out my old Motorola Krazr ix3 or the Nokia N95 I still have around somewhere.

21 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Actually, my phone is used much more for doing other things than making phone calls. It is a general communicator, it's my calendar, my address book, my news paper, used for playing the occasional game, it is my sat nav and my music player in the car, heck my Covid vaccination certificate is on it too. It switches my remote power points and it is my camera. I'd be totally lost without it.

If I just wanted to make calls, I'd dig out my old Motorola Krazr ix3 or the Nokia N95 I still have around somewhere.

Exactly the way I see it @Aussiekraut  with sat nav all I do is say Hey Google & say the address, hit directions & stand it up one the console in the 4WD, great.

As you say many other tasks are preformed,  Banking, Emails, SMS, Calculator, News, Sports Updates, turn on/off the TV etc. Tha Camera's on the new Samsung S21 Ultra 5G are awesome.

I don't do any social media but apart from that you can also make phone calls. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I spend too much time on FB but in a world where I am an outlier it's often the only sane conversations I can have across weeks. In a country town most people can't or won't discuss anything other than who among their ex-school mates is doing what to whom. The only other social stuff is the Club but that also isn't a place where I can converse freely.

And the only home brewers I have met are all well and truly EX HB'ers!

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 12:59 AM, CLASSIC said:

This is the only exception @Shamus O'Sean  but as you know this is a little more tightknit & not shared by all. 😎  Well we like to think so !

I don't have a need for FB, 🐦 📺  & all of the others, just my opinion. 😀

I'm with you on this one Phil: this is the limit of my social media, and thank Christ it's been here over the past year 😉

FB and all that other crap steals your soul. Nothing good ever comes from Tw*tter. As for the rest, I don't know what the hell they are but I do know it all ends in tears with my teenage kids (actually my son doesn't give a sh*t)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, stquinto said:

I'm with you on this one Phil: this is the limit of my social media, and thank Christ it's been here over the past year 😉

FB and all that other crap steals your soul. Nothing good ever comes from Tw*tter. As for the rest, I don't know what the hell they are but I do know it all ends in tears with my teenage kids (actually my son doesn't give a sh*t)

Yeah I know for some or a lot, it can be useful & others a comfort sharing with family, kids etc. There is merit for say Coffee/Cafe owners or Hairdressers etc as it can be an advantage for their business but I get really annoyed with these wan..... that can't stop looking at their messages, stupid posts, jokes even during a quiet beer when you are supposed to be relaxing.

I went to lunch with 3 guys in Friday, we started with a few beers down the Bay ( you know that flat, sickly muck out of the tap ) & then went to a Pizzeria on the water front & not once did anyone pull out their phone, apart from me to show some beer photos ( all in defence of our trade😬 

I am thinking of putting one of these signs in my Bar room as all of these media platforms have no place when a few mates having a drink together.

Get a life Princess, put your phone away !!

S0151_3.jpg

28 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Yeah I know for some or a lot, it can be useful & others a comfort sharing with family, kids etc. There is merit for say Coffee/Cafe owners or Hairdressers etc as it can be an advantage for their business but I get really annoyed with these wan..... that can't stop looking at their messages, stupid posts, jokes even during a quiet beer when you are supposed to be relaxing.

I went to lunch with 3 guys in Friday, we started with a few beers down the Bay ( you know that flat, sickly muck out of the tap ) & then went to a Pizzeria on the water front & not once did anyone pull out their phone, apart from me to show some beer photos ( all in defence of our trade😬 

I am thinking of putting one of these signs in my Bar room as all of these media platforms have no place when a few mates having a drink together.

Get a life Princess, put your phone away !!

S0151_3.jpg

I've heard of a couple of place (in EU I think) where they have a sign for prices and the prices vary on whether or not you use your phone. Get your phone out (except for a call, where it is almost mandatory to walk outside to take it) and your bill gets higher.

Their trains often have 'silent' carriages where you are not allowed to use your phone.

3 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I've heard of a couple of place (in EU I think) where they have a sign for prices and the prices vary on whether or not you use your phone. Get your phone out (except for a call, where it is almost mandatory to walk outside to take it) and your bill gets higher.

Their trains often have 'silent' carriages where you are not allowed to use your phone.

Interesting, they should introduce it here, mind you, I am not against phones, I love my new phone, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G.

I use it for everything, as mentioned previously but that doesn't mean I drag it out every time it flickers, dings or lights up. Unless the call is urgent/family or business enquiry it stays in its case.

Everyone is different & they can do what they want but if you go  to the shopping centre, supermarket etc somebody heading straight towards you will have their head buried in their phone.

It is mainly the social media stuff that annoys me but the lifestyle we live in does create a necessity to carry a smartphone.

Anyway Cheers.

On 7/18/2021 at 9:04 AM, Journeyman said:

I spend too much time on FB but in a world where I am an outlier it's often the only sane conversations I can have across weeks. In a country town most people can't or won't discuss anything other than who among their ex-school mates is doing what to whom. The only other social stuff is the Club but that also isn't a place where I can converse freely.

And the only home brewers I have met are all well and truly EX HB'ers!

I'm also a FB time waster but I've found it a great social tool. I've worked arvo shifts for over 20 years. While my 9 to 5 friends and family can catch up for dinner or a the pub or club on weeknights, I can't. FB has allowed me to keep abreast of things socially. Being a bit of a wisecracker, I've also found it suits my sense of humour where I can chip in my cheeky comments but also think about them before putting my foot in my proverbial mouth.
For the record, I've got an Oppo AX5S. It was around $250 and has all the features I need in a phone. I'm loathe to go the path of Apple or Samsung because I have a tendency to drop or step on my phones. So I'd rather waste $250 than $1,000 if it was to happen.

Edited by MUZZY

I have a Samsung but not the top of the price range ones. I am on FB but I don't use it a lot, quick scroll here and there. It gets boring pretty quickly. My social golf club info is posted there so it's useful for that, and I follow a few sports pages. I'm usually too busy watching footy or playing golf or whatever else to bother sitting on my phone for ages. 

I agree with each individual comment on the topic, as I said earlier we can all do what we want & will, the thing is if it works for you, do it !

Smart phones are definitely part of our lives now & that's OK. For those that subscribe to social media, that's OK too, but when you are having a beer with your mates I feel that is something we should cherish as you only live once.

Cheers to all.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I mentioned earlier that I had upgraded my phone about 2 weeks ago & I ordered a case/cover for it. I have dealt with this company before, you pay for it online & it is delivered next day express post. It was but they sent the wrong one, after emails (of course you can't ring them) & I was instructed to send it back & when they receive it they will ship the replacement.

I did & paid $14.10 express post to Sydney but they didn't get the next day it too 4 days, What is annoying is they sent the replacement standard post over a week ago & I still haven't got it.

The postage was free in the first instance.

It arrived at Adelaide Airport on Thursday, just a few km's from me, spent 2 days there & now sent to Camden Park which means they would have driven past me & taken it a couple of suburbs away. Now I will be lucky if I get it next Mon or Tues.

Bloody ridiculous. 😬

screen1.thumb.jpg.05b631aa08e6ccd14ef8c12f6b6ffc75.jpg

screen2.thumb.jpg.d2207e46c191582d03c93997864c2e02.jpg

On 10/28/2023 at 9:55 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

I mentioned earlier that I had upgraded my phone about 2 weeks ago & I ordered a case/cover for it. I have dealt with this company before, you pay for it online & it is delivered next day express post. It was but they sent the wrong one, after emails (of course you can't ring them) & I was instructed to send it back & when they receive it they will ship the replacement.

I did & paid $14.10 express post to Sydney but they didn't get the next day it too 4 days, What is annoying is they sent the replacement standard post over a week ago & I still haven't got it.

The postage was free in the first instance.

It arrived at Adelaide Airport on Thursday, just a few km's from me, spent 2 days there & now sent to Camden Park which means they would have driven past me & taken it a couple of suburbs away. Now I will be lucky if I get it next Mon or Tues.

Bloody ridiculous. 😬

screen1.thumb.jpg.05b631aa08e6ccd14ef8c12f6b6ffc75.jpg

screen2.thumb.jpg.d2207e46c191582d03c93997864c2e02.jpg

Auspost does that. I remember buying something from eBay once and it was lodged at my local mail centre, about 2km away from home. From there, it went 10km west to a sorting centre, then 25km east to a distribution centre, from there and then sent back to the mail centre, from where they delivered it. All up, it took a week or so to get to me. Had I known it was so close to start with, I would have opted to pick it up from the seller. 

In stark contrast to that, I ordered a cast iron casserole dish from Amazon yesterday afternoon, which was delivered this morning at about 8:30. On a Sunday. 

And Auspost is surprised that business is bad. If they didn't have the oldies paying their bills there and the passport monopoly, they'd be long gone. Just look at the stuff they sell in the post offices for Pete's sake. TVs, Telescopes, Air Fryers, etc. 

5 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Auspost does that. I remember buying something from eBay once and it was lodged at my local mail centre, about 2km away from home. From there, it went 10km west to a sorting centre, then 25km east to a distribution centre, from there and then sent back to the mail centre, from where they delivered it. All up, it took a week or so to get to me. Had I known it was so close to start with, I would have opted to pick it up from the seller. 

In stark contrast to that, I ordered a cast iron casserole dish from Amazon yesterday afternoon, which was delivered this morning at about 8:30. On a Sunday. 

And Auspost is surprised that business is bad. If they didn't have the oldies paying their bills there and the passport monopoly, they'd be long gone. Just look at the stuff they sell in the post offices for Pete's sake. TVs, Telescopes, Air Fryers, etc. 

Yes, that's right, when you think of all of the 24 hour service stations around these days they are a supermarket/butcher/florist/hardware/fishing tackle/gas refill/ice/coffee/takeaway/cafe/ bakery/confectionery/tobacconist, did I mention petrol?  May as well give them a liquor license, then they can drive all the small business to close down.

Regarding AUS Post, I totally agree, they are pathetic, but if you pay the vendor for express post you can get next day delivery.

I have had a good run with purchases from eBay & the like but waiting for over a week for a phone case is ridiculous.

Australia Post is something of a joke. As a logistics company they fail miserably in comparison to their competitors, I reckon that eventually they will be sold off by the Government, who will become increasingly unhappy in having to spend money to subsidise Ausposts inefficiencies.

I live in regional NSW and recently I ordered an item that was shipped via Auspost from Sydney. According to the tracking the item arrived at my nearest regional distribution centre 2 days after being processed in Sydney, and that usually means that it will be delivered to me the following day. However the parcel then appears to have sat at the distribution centre for 19 days before finally being delivered. Auspost even had the nerve to email me and advise of a delay and when I lodged a customer enquiry for them to investigate the delay, I was told they will not commence an investigation into a delayed item unless it has been delayed more than 1 month! Appalling customer service and that lack of attention to its customers will be the downfall of Australia Post.

• Like 2

Some of you have had some pleasant  dealings with  Aust post   .

i cant remember exactly what i ordered express aust post this one time   , however  this is how it got to my house.

picked up at yarraville vic.
at sunshine mail sorting facillity
on route to melton sorting facility
arrives at melton sorting facility   (me thinks i will get this the next day) only 20 minutes from my place)_
on route to Airport West sorting facility
sorted at airport west
on route to sunshine sorting facility
sorted to suneshine sorting facility
at Adeliade airport
Sorted netley Sa
at Adelaide airport
arrive  at sunshine fsorting facility
on routr to tullamarine airport
arrives tullamarine
arrives chullora NSW
Arrives sydney airport
Arrives at Perth Sorting facility
Arrives at perth airport
Arrives at Airport West
on route to next sorting facility  melton
out for delivery  (well i didnt get  excited by this)
Arrives at melbourne sorting facility
out for delivery
delivered to customer

i nicknamed this delivery   as the layland brothers   as it went all over the country side .

boy did Aust post cop it it from me as well as the seller as they also thought this  was very acceptable practice 

my parcel had seen more of australia then  i had

nothing surprises me with Australia post  or Star trek (both run by the same mob)   

my express post in stead of a day to get here it nearly took entire month and Aust post said its totally fine ..
i luagh at this now but at the time it was frustrating

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had something go from Melbourne or Sydney to the local distribution centre, then it decided to have a holiday in Darwin before coming back and being delivered. 

When I bought my putter off a guy on eBay, it came here then ping ponged between here and Bundaberg because the zero in the postcode looked like a 6. The people in Bundy knew it wasn't supposed to be there, it was the muppets down here who kept sending it back up there. Finally got sorted when I lodged a complaint or whatever it was. It was worth the wait but still shouldn't have been doing that 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally upgraded my old iPhone 12 Pro Max to a brand spanking new 15 Pro Max yesterday. No hassle with shipping as I went to the Vodafail store directly. The most surprising thing was that I was out of the shop within 15 minutes. Walked in, said what I wanted, they checked stock, printed a few bits of paperwork, checked my ID and handed me the new phone. As they say these days: tots amazeballs. It used to be a mission to get a new phone. Came home and started to Cree my old data to the new phone and within less than an hour, all was done. The best thing is that I can use the 20W power adapter for my MacBook Air to charge the phone in record time. I will need an adapter to use AppleCarplay in my car though but I have an adapter arriving tomorrow. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Finally upgraded my old iPhone 12 Pro Max to a brand spanking new 15 Pro Max yesterday. No hassle with shipping as I went to the Vodafail store directly. The most surprising thing was that I was out of the shop within 15 minutes. Walked in, said what I wanted, they checked stock, printed a few bits of paperwork, checked my ID and handed me the new phone. As they say these days: tots amazeballs. It used to be a mission to get a new phone. Came home and started to Cree my old data to the new phone and within less than an hour, all was done. The best thing is that I can use the 20W power adapter for my MacBook Air to charge the phone in record time. I will need an adapter to use AppleCarplay in my car though but I have an adapter arriving tomorrow. 

Good one AK, always nice to upgrade, I take advantage of it every time I am eligible on my Optus plan & because I look after stuff & keep boxes & original contents, I get to sell an as new phone for $600-$700. I have been doing it for years.

My local Harvey Norman is an Optus dealer & for many years I have just walked in there & signed a couple of forms when my contract is finished & walked out with the latest top of the range model.

I have always liked bells & whistles & I love the technology that is available these days & I do use it to my advantage.

• 1 month later...