Coopers Community

I've succumbed to the rabbit hole

Malter White

11 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

The proportions of the brew enhansers can be found in the FAQ section of "Brewing Support"  https://www.diybeer.com/au/faqs/#FAQ_4_02

assaassasas.PNG

Thanks Marty

Is that a new addition to the FAQ ?  I thought I had read it inside out.

I ask because of the King Ruddager thread from 23 August 2017 where he posted his 'best of knowledge'  regarding the content of the brew enhancers...

https://community.diybeer.com/topic/11078-coopers-fermentable-product-ingredients-be1-be2-be3-bs-dex-ldm/?tab=comments#comment-165561

I was so impressed I added it as a page to the Recipe Spreadsheet but noted

" Note : Not confirmed by Coopers here. Based on King Ruddager's best guess. "

I will remove the disclaimer from the spreadsheet now and add a link to the FAQ instead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MUZZY said:

So this is the diamond in the rough I picked up from my parents. It's an all-fridge fridge i.e. no freezer section.

I have to admit I'm a little excited to be doing the work.

Inkbird is due to arrive this week some time.

Muzzy this looks like the complete biz mate - and with an Inky and if you want to get warmer temps in cold cold times a warming plate mate you have your temp controlled brewery in place!

Great stuff.

And sad to hear the shite with the privatised services - it's a disgrace - and hopefully @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey BCC doesn't destroy everything there as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Muzzy this looks like the complete biz mate - and with an Inky and if you want to get warmer temps in cold cold times a warming plate mate you have your temp controlled brewery in place!

Great stuff.

And sad to hear the shite with the privatised services - it's a disgrace - and hopefully @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey BCC doesn't destroy everything there as well.

Cheers, BB.
Thanks. Probably won't need any heat source for a few months but I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for any that might be suitable for the future.
The privatisation happened 20 years ago. I'm accustomed to it but still bitter about it. I know I should build a bridge and get over it but until they privatise parliament and their own inefficiencies I'll probably remain bitter for a long time.

15 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

The proportions of the brew enhansers can be found in the FAQ section of "Brewing Support"  https://www.diybeer.com/au/faqs/#FAQ_4_02

assaassasas.PNG

The funny thing about all this info, Marty, is that I'd seen it numerous times before but the penny didn't drop until now.
My rushed comprehension of the brew enhancers was like Goldilocks and the 3 bears - BE1 will make beer, BE2 will make better beer and BE3 is just right.
But that's not the case. They're all different to get different outcomes for differing beers.
Thanks for the input, mate.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MUZZY said:

So this is the diamond in the rough I picked up from my parents. It's an all-fridge fridge i.e. no freezer section. Needs a good clean, a paint job and some robust shelves installed but as you can see it will fit two Coopers FV including krausen collars simultaneously. My 60 litre FV also fits.

Check your shelf gaps. In mine I found I could put 2 shelves in the same slot and it's as solid as... Didn't need to make marine ply shelf etc.

You can see here there's no bend at all under a full (23L) FV.

image.thumb.png.75fd645aa9b34169b75fb46aa19bbb50.png

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Check your shelf gaps. In mine I found I could put 2 shelves in the same slot and it's as solid as... Didn't need to make marine ply shelf etc.

That is ingenious, JM. I wish I'd seen this before I went to Bunnings but I just got back with a sheet of ply. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, James of Bayswater said:

Muzzy, I am now confused.  The fridge you got from your folks is not the same as your 'acquisition' above.   What's going on ?

It's the same fridge, James.
The exterior is rough because it's been under a pergola for probably 10 years.
It's been switched off for a couple of years so my fingers are crossed it still works. It was in fine working order before it was switched off.

4 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I thought I should also add this photo to demonstrate that everything you see on social media isn't always as good as it might seem. This is the exterior of my acquisition.

I'm off to get some paint shortly.

IMG20191215084947.jpg

I could make a joke about the Irish troubles and that picture but i fear no one would get it 

• Haha 2

OK I get it now.  That second photo looked at first glance like a freezer over fridge arrangement but now I see it is just a trim.   

Give it a coat of paint,  blackboard paint even for a bit of fun.   Its going to be outside so take some license.  Release your inner hipster.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Why does the outside look like two doors? 

Hopefully the door was left ajar while it was off, it'd stink like crap being closed up that long. 

It's just an aesthetic GT stripe. Only one door.
Door was left open and a tub of bicarb soda left in it while it was in recess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, James of Bayswater said:

OK I get it now.  That second photo looked at first glance like a freezer over fridge arrangement but now I see it is just a trim.   

Give it a coat of paint,  blackboard paint even for a bit of fun.   Its going to be outside so take some license.  Release your inner hipster.   

I've been told I have to paint it black. (by the wife, not Mick Jagger)
We have black outdoor chairs and things have to match apparently. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I'm pleased to say I didn't totally waste $14 on the plywood. My shelf holding gaps won't fit 2 of the shelves but I am going to use your idea for the bottom of the fridge where the wire shelves will sit nicely over the vege crisper area and the indent for the fridge's working parts.
Cheers, Journeyman.

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

It's just an aesthetic GT stripe. Only one door.
Door was left open and a tub of bicarb soda left in it while it was in recess.

Ahh yeah cool. Good stuff. Our original kitchen fridge which is now my second ferment fridge was left shut by the people we bought it from. Stunk like shit 🤮 I always leave them open when they're turned off to prevent that. 

• Like 1

I had to use plywood on my second one, didn't trust the glass shelves as they'd bend even with a 5L pot of brine and bacon sitting on them. I varnished it which obviously prevents moisture buy it has the added benefit of making the FV easy to slide across it 😂 it's not varnished in the picture, that was just testing a full cube on it. 

My original fridge has no crisper or anything in the bottom, just a flat floor so the FV sits there. 

20191102_124339.thumb.jpg.c5a8304bbd75c35422b0e2d48d7ac4ea.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Would have thought that'd absorb more heat personally. May not make much difference though

It probably would.  I intend to have it under the verandah and have it covered with a sheet and a plastic tarp most of the time because the verandah isn't completely waterproof.