Coopers Community

All Things Salumi

ben 10

9 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

temp and humidity

70% and 15°c

9 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

What was your moisture content % loss?

Lol - scientific squeeze test.... suggested it was almost done but not quite ready which is corrrect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2022 at 11:25 AM, Mickep said:

Not Salumi - more for the benefit of @iBooz2Al, me ol' mate. The snag filler at work.

Cracked pepper and sage Porker snags. Really happy with this  batch.

Thanks MickeBoy.  I am looking forward to doing something similar myself.  At this stage just smoking them or on the Weber-Q as I am a complete novice at this stage.  Love to get into it a bit deeper and make some good stuff.

You blokes @interceptor @The Captain!! that do the Salumi thing can you recommend a couple of good books to get me started in this caper?  TIA.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

can you recommend a couple of good books to get me started in this caper?

Salumi, The Craft of Italian Dry Curing by Michael Ruhlman | 9780393068597 | Booktopia

Charcuterie, The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing by Michael Ruhlman | 9780393240054 | Booktopia

IMO cannot get better than those two. Science, craft, stories and great recipes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, interceptor said:

They look like great books IC.

I do Beef Jerky so I suppose I should venture into some Charcuterie.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 7:12 AM, interceptor said:

Thanks fellas @interceptor and @Itinerant Peasant , I have just ordered the second one on this list (for starters).

Well done. 👌

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Charcuterie book the other day and dived right into the brining of chooks and turkeys as I used to do that a while back and wanted to see if I had done it right back then, (not quite right).  The use of wrong salts and no sugar has me thinking of giving this another crack.  Gotta learn more about the different salts to use.

Got sidetracked into the food safety, sanitation, botulism chapter so that made me all a bit nervy.  Probably a bit like brewing to start with but it works out well in the end.  Much more reading to do on my part before I get stuck into some of my own small goods me thinks.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Got sidetracked into the food safety, sanitation, botulism chapter so that made me all a bit nervy.  Probably a bit like brewing to start with but it works out well in the end.  Much more reading to do on my part before I get stuck into some of my own small goods me thinks.

That is pretty much the whole reason that @interceptor put us onto the books... haha and I also did some Applied Microbiology at Uni... finally my kids - since Covid - now know why I had always been a hand-washing fascist for years ; )

So Botulism etc had me very concerned... but never had a problem... Benny's Books, and just use good clean brewing practices... use the salt, the pink salt, and do ferment your wurst with Bactoferm if you are making salami... and otherwise just buy yourself a big bag of Cheetham or other Aussie salt... 

And never use imported meat for anything - only good qual aussie stuff... pretty strict governance around aussie meat production 👍

I think that you have very much kicked off on the right footing - as you have straightaway found the thing that we all need to be concerned with - and now you are learning well on how to manage it 👍

I might take this off line with you - I am having to downsize - so there might be some equipment n salt n whatever smallgoodsy stuff I have here that might be of good use to you... 

I reckon a great start too - is just to purchase some good qual food grade ziplock bags... then buy a bag of this stuff...

A couple of nice pork bellies...  I get mine cryovacced from Aldddi and then do them as fast as I can thereafter - don't leave them sitting around...

Dry Brine them up - with the salt and nitrite salt mix - I weight them down with some weights to squish them and I think it is from the books - that you help get the stuff into the meat - and then you flip them once a day...

Follow the instructions... advice in the good book... and then on bag and their website... and Smk-n-Cured people are good to talk to as well... good lot. 

https://www.smokedandcured.com.au/product/misty-gully-maple-bacon-cure-1kg/

And then once properly brined - dry off - and hot smoke it - once cured in the fridge for right time per weight... or pop in oven at I think it was like 140 for an hour or so...  dependent on weight and your oven...

Then smoke in your smoker or cook it in your oven until you reach an internal temp of 65-68c.

if no smoker... and you make very very nice bacon that way just in the oven.... but cook it...  v simple and makes great product!

I then cryovac anything to be stored for a bit - and keep the ones that you are using in good cold fridge... and use it up in a reasonable timeframe... HTH

image.thumb.png.f38ff865e461af24bf0cd9806fe1d780.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For all you salumi fans - I saw a great episode of Gourmet Farmer on TV recently. It was set in Umbria Italy,  and was all about making salumi in traditional and modern ways. Here is the link  https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-series/gourmet-farmer/season-2/gourmet-farmer-s2-ep9/111281219594. You might have to be registered with SBS On demand.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

For all you salumi fans - I saw a great episode of Gourmet Farmer on TV recently. It was set in Umbria Italy,  and was all about making salumi in traditional and modern ways. Here is the link  https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-series/gourmet-farmer/season-2/gourmet-farmer-s2-ep9/111281219594. You might have to be registered with SBS On demand.

Yes, I like that show, I have been watching it for years also on SBS On Demand as I have an A/C, they have great movies too.

• Like 2