Coopers Community

All Things Salumi

ben 10

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:
2 hours ago, Mickep said:

just got my casings delivered - been using these guys for a while now. Really good casings IMO.

Sounds like a good plan, I will try them shortly.

Huge selection to Classic, very rarely do I have any issues whatsoever with these - no tears and really long runs. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Out of the freezer from a previous batch of lovely home made Pork Bratwurst... kept pretty well frozen cannot complain...  they are very tasty but I think next time we will up the amount of backfat - these were made just from ground up Pork Shoulder (and the other normal bits and pieces in a good Bratwurst) w no extra Fat... somehow forgot to ask me festive Village Butcher to include the extra fat... anyway still good enough to eat 😋

image.thumb.png.aff062f96f9f54277ae8fa5ff3ea74e3.png

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Out of the freezer from a previous batch of lovely home made Pork Bratwurst... kept pretty well frozen cannot complain...  they are very tasty but I think next time we will up the amount of backfat - these were made just from ground up Pork Shoulder (and the other normal bits and pieces in a good Bratwurst) w no extra Fat... somehow forgot to ask me festive Village Butcher to include the extra fat... anyway still good enough to eat 😋

They look really nice mate, don't need too much fat. A good healthy way to cook them on the grill, you get rid of more fat & have a nice charred, smokey taste. Enjoy 😋 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

image.thumb.png.aff062f96f9f54277ae8fa5ff3ea74e3.png

IP, they look magnifco mate. I just looooooove my home made snags. I'm doing several batches today. Pork - Thai,  Sage and Pork with peppercorn, and a new recipe, Thai green curry - chicken,  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

IP, they look magnifco mate. I just looooooove my home made snags. I'm doing several batches today. Pork - Thai,  Sage and Pork with peppercorn, and a new recipe, Thai green curry - chicken,  

Yummmmmmy Yummm Yummmmmm @Mickep 😋

I have only made them when I had assistance to drive the sausage stuffing process... can you do the skin stuffing by yourself?  My festive village Butcher told me that was the first thing they did as Apprentices and if they couldn't do it themselves then 'they'd find someone else who could'... 😬

Maybe I should try giving it a go but it seems a bit hard to keep the casing on nice and firm and fill them without any airgaps while cranking the handle - any advice would be very welcome please ? 🤔

Maybe I am just a bit unco (uncoordinated).... ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Yummmmmmy Yummm Yummmmmm @Mickep 😋

I have only made them when I had assistance to drive the sausage stuffing process... can you do the skin stuffing by yourself?  My festive village Butcher told me that was the first thing they did as Apprentices and if they couldn't do it themselves then 'they'd find someone else who could'... 😬

Maybe I should try giving it a go but it seems a bit hard to keep the casing on nice and firm and fill them without any airgaps while cranking the handle - any advice would be very welcome please ? 🤔

Maybe I am just a bit unco (uncoordinated).... ?

Your def not on your Pat Malone there IP. I get the bride to help. I have done the stuffing by myself but like you it ends in tears - too unco, a bit like the ol' rub the stomach while patting the head routine. 

Strange though SWMBO can do it solo, I've got the horizontal stuffer - heavy as I think she holds about 5 or 6kg of the sausage goodness. 

5 hours ago, Mickep said:

Your def not on your Pat Malone there IP. I get the bride to help. I have done the stuffing by myself but like you it ends in tears - too unco, a bit like the ol' rub the stomach while patting the head routine. 

Strange though SWMBO can do it solo, I've got the horizontal stuffer - heavy as I think she holds about 5 or 6kg of the sausage goodness. 

Haha Gold mate.

Exactly same here - got a horizontal fella - quite a job to crank with a swag of meat in it - and so funny about your analogy @Mickep mate haha very good... 

But I think we both agree mate that boy yer can make some outstanding tasty snagglers hey?!?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mickep said:

Thai green curry - chicken

I'm on my way over.......

I do love chicken sausages though. Used to get the crappy woolies ones many many years ago (was young and also poor), then they were out once so I bought these fancy organic ones which tasted amazing. I couldn't understand why they were so much better so I compared the ingredients. The woolies shite were about 30% chicken and the organic ones were over 70%. At least even woolies will do some fancier style stuff with a higher meat count themselves these days.

Edited by terminal2k
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 10:47 AM, Itinerant Peasant said:

Cuppla Porkers going in for a 'Dry Brine' for a cuppla days

Smoky Bacon (v primitive set-up at moment... hoping to improve 👍)

image.png.5e9a9c6d8560ab825116f162c68ebb5f.png

and

image.thumb.png.98ff9ef69d21f144f8dd438c58009d48.png

Some now and some later ; )

image.thumb.png.e6411b8fcdebe40f211dcd7e80244931.png

• Like 2

Last of the taschty home-made Porker Barties out the Freezer will hafta make some more some time in the future (hopefully with a competent assistant to help drive the Sausage stuffing process ; )

And probs also some of the last Zookas being caramelised on the Barbie.

(apologies they are not Salumi @interceptor hopefully my post does not get intercepted?)

image.thumb.png.0b6d089b581c5eae96cb001caa6d5c75.png 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...