Coopers Community

All Things Salumi

ben 10

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

White mould is good mould.. right??

Technically,  Yes this is Goggled.

It is a penicillin-based mold similar to the white mold you will find on a fine cheese like a French Brie or Camembert. It's a natural part of the fermentation process of producing artisanal salumi, and the salami mold has its own flavor and flora.

Fuzzy mold or a white powdery residue growing on salami is a specific type of edible penicillin-based mold. It’s not only safe for consumption but also adds to the flavor of the salami. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DavidM said:

White mould is good mould.. right??

Yes, as @Classic Brewing Co stated mine is indeed penicillin. Sometimes people need to inoculate their curing cabinet with it but mine is natural. 

It's brilliant and gives some proper funk to the salami.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, interceptor said:

Yes, as @Classic Brewing Co stated mine is indeed penicillin. Sometimes people need to inoculate their curing cabinet with it but mine is natural. 

It's brilliant and gives some proper funk to the salami.

You produce some awesome stuff there Interceptor - A bloody marvel at some of this stuff mate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have long wanted to get into salumi "some day", however I think that time should be now as I have suddenly become the fortunate owner of a whole hog (I work on a farm) which I have dehaired, gutted and sawn in half and is now laying in the frozen shipping container at work.

Not ideal situation as I was kind of pressed for time and just needed to get it cool and didn't have a big enough fridge available. Now I need to work out how to thaw safely and butcher further.

Once I get some more managable pieces I would love to make lots of bacon, maybe salami, ham; and apart from fresh chops and roasts I don't really know what else. 

I would appreciate any encouragement as this is a little daunting for me.

20220615_152012.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John E Miller said:

the fortunate owner of a whole hog

YUMMY!!!!!

This book >> https://www.booktopia.com.au/charcuterie-michael-ruhlman/book/9780393240054.html will teach you lots and has great recipes.

This shop >> https://www.smokedandcured.com.au/product-category/banquet-bags-dry-aged-steak-salumi-salami/ has casings that you can use in the fridge for making salami, they work well and are a good tool to see if you want to take the hobby further.

Sodium nitrate and nitrite are your friends, as is good bacteria.

Be clean, be careful and enjoy. It's a GREAT hobby.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Amazing stuff @John E Miller John E Miller - Wow - truly amazing!

Agree w @interceptor Ceptor - who has been my Salumi coach - and I got the below book titles/authors from him... thanks again @interceptor mate!

So there are two Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn books -

image.thumb.png.5a6a159d3a73c2f38c02bf470ebfbf27.png

The one on the Left Hand Side

Ruhlman and Polcyn Salumi The craft of Italian Dry Curing

has how you cut up the whole hog - which would be useful in your case - wow  that's legendary mate @John E Miller - that's really doin' it properly!

Going the whole hog literally 🥳

image.thumb.png.4f5a3d023cd0e9c6915306993e4101eb.png

All the recipes are very handy.

Both books are very good - but myself I really like the LHS one - and for you to cut up whole animal - think it would be very useful... the RHS one is I think broader and includes poultry and beef etc as well as smoking.  All the salting and drying and smoking -- curing the meat -- is about making the meat uninviting/unpalatable to harmful bacterial/fungal etc infections.

And agree with @interceptor Ceptor that 'Pink Salt' is very useful to avoid the dreaded botulism... and there are many more diseases avoided by good hygiene and curing properly -  Pink Salt and just normal Sodium Chloride Sea Salt and good hygienic brewing practices are all very important...  And then if you are making Salami Mettwurst type stuff - then there are the positive/desirable/wanted Bacteria and Fungi that help stabilise the meat e.g. through fermenting the salted and flavoured minced port -  and add their own flavour and occupy the niche that the nasty harmful spoiling microbes would like to fill... 

Depending on your budget - these Aussie Company Cleaver temp-humidity control curing cabinets are also pretty legendary but have gone up in price significantly over a few years ago as has everything else in the world... 

https://www.cleaversalumicabinets.com/cleaver-plus

Wow mate honestly - that is truly legendary what you already have done prepping the animal - I wish you all the best - amazing stuff!

And salted and cured pork goes very well with good Beer ; )

• Like 3

@John E Miller With the big cuts: A butchering father of a mate's buddy also uses a little Stihl Chainsaw - with vegetable oil or olive oil in for the Chain Lube...

And another mate when he was younger (pretty tough farming folk) used to cut up whole beasts (bovines) with an axe... that is hard work for sure...  and now his sister who does farm-butchering with a mobile cold room - uses a reciprocating saw for the big stuff...

But probably best to talk to experts like Butcher supply places... and maybe consider buying a big bag of Sea Salt if you can store it ok as it is much cheaper in like a 20kg bag ; )

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

@John E Miller With the big cuts: A butchering father of a mate's buddy also uses a little Stihl Chainsaw - with vegetable oil or olive oil in for the Chain Lube...

And another mate when he was younger (pretty tough farming folk) used to cut up whole beasts (bovines) with an axe... that is hard work for sure...  and now his sister who does farm-butchering with a mobile cold room - uses a reciprocating saw for the big stuff...

But probably best to talk to experts like Butcher supply places... and maybe consider buying a big bag of Sea Salt if you can store it ok as it is much cheaper in like a 20kg bag ; )

Sound advice @Itinerant Peasantexciting stuff all of that ect, very rewarding too as well as tastes good.

• Like 1

August 2021 fermented and then dry-cured Mettwurst/Salami cryo-vacced and stored at 2 deg C

Magnificent... served w home made Rye Bread and home-grown-n-pickled Zooks... gold

not my Cheese or very nice ripe Avo w good oil levels...

image.thumb.png.0a8dce0bf0f78dd5576740466435603b.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 9:35 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

August 2021

Nice!!!

-5825774543442461269.thumb.jpg.63b72e6d6728bc6c915d2e05d9149980.jpg

The one on the right is the last batch and the big f00kers are a new batch into HUGE sheep bungs. 

3 1/2 kilos of meats made 2 1/2 salamis.... 

It will be interesting to see how long they take to dry and if they dry properly.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...