Coopers Community

All Things Salumi

ben 10

Pork shoulder

IMG_20190530_061111.thumb.jpg.01c421c948d73eb9284f5d5704869d08.jpg

Spices, liquids and equipment. From the top left: curing salt (#2); iodine free salt; chilli, cayenne, coriander seed, mace, pepper; bacteria and sugar; pear cider (I didn't have any wine).

IMG_20190530_072422.thumb.jpg.8a21f00443853e9e3d0a9d54e3a4f2db.jpg

After grinding and mixing

IMG_20190530_074322.thumb.jpg.d49e7febad1fd8ee0409a194fa5d1394.jpg

Hanging in the cupboard for a few days to ferment then cured in the fridge as it is easier and safer for me in my house.

IMG_20190530_124216.thumb.jpg.029d063bb03d9acbcdf08d61476a7505.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Cerveja said:

I so want to do this...

I hope you do but Read and self education is a must in this field. There is a lot of things going on that can be very detrimental to health if not done properly. 

Ben has pointed me in the right direction with a book called Charcuterie. Amazing read.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Any book that adequately explains the reasons and behind the use of nitrates and nitrites and salt and bacteria in smallgoods manufacture will be a worthwhile self education tool.

Below is a picture of some I opened last night. The last of my last batch and superb it is.

IMG_20190530_182951.jpg

Edited by Ben 10
  • Like 8

22 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I hope you do but Read and self education is a must in this field. There is a lot of things going on that can be very detrimental to health if not done properly. 

Ben has pointed me in the right direction with a book called Charcuterie. Amazing read.  

Yep, on the lookout for that book and Salumi. Not in a hurry so checking second hand places when I'm there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Any book that adequately explains the reasons and behind the use of nitrates and nitrites and salt and bacteria in smallgoods manufacture will be a worthwhile self education tool.

Below is a picture of some I opened last night. The last of my last batch and superb it is.

IMG_20190530_182951.jpg

MAte that Salumi looks phenomenal!  I haven't yet tried curing anything with pink salt #2.  But i Have the Charcuterie book on your recommendation and am getting keener by the day

• Like 1

Benny what temp do you ferment the meat at?

And where do you procure the inoculant from?

And do you inoculate and ferment those you intend to smoke?

The salami hangs in my cupboard at whatever that is. 20°c or thereabouts is good. I do 48 hours when it is cool, less if not. The meat changes colour and you can smell it.
https://www.smokedandcured.com.au/cures-cultures-additives/
Yes, any time I make salami I use the bacteria. I have made very nice chorizo and mettwurst this way.
I use https://www.smokedandcured.com.au/misty-gully-banquet-bags-salami-casings-5m/ and cure in my fridge. It is the best for me in my climate.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

The salami hangs in my cupboard at whatever that is. 20°c or thereabouts is good. I do 48 hours when it is cool, less if not. The meat changes colour and you can smell it.
https://www.smokedandcured.com.au/cures-cultures-additives/
Yes, any time I make salami I use the bacteria. I have made very nice chorizo and mettwurst this way.
I use https://www.smokedandcured.com.au/misty-gully-banquet-bags-salami-casings-5m/ and cure in my fridge. It is the best for me in my climate.

Thanks Benny.  I have been brewing and growing and cooking for years - but never done any meat curing and smoking though my people have done that for many years.

I have got the good books on order... and got some really good input from Spudley… and reckon I can have a go.  Just wanna say thanks! BB

• Like 1

All... a bit of a silly question -  but I always thought SalAmi was salami... not SalUmi?  Think the plural in Italian is SALAME...

Where has that U magically appeared from? Mmm... seems like Salami is a subset of a range of cold cuts including Mortadella (deffo not salami)…

Is that the way you Charcuterie experts see this?

Salumi (singular salume) are Italian cold cuts predominantly made from pork. Salumi include bresaola , which is made from beef, and also cooked products such as mortadella and prosciutto cotto . Salami is a specific type of salumi.

17 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

No worries. Fell free to ask me for help anytime. I am not an expert but have managed some pretty spectacular results.

When you do the bioferment thing - say for your pork shoulder in the magnificent pictures... how much of the 25g Yeast Sachet would you use ?

They don't seem to come very cheap. Cheers. Tx BT.  BB

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:32 PM, Spudley said:

Update on the Salami, 4 weeks young now and coming along nicely, bit like beer really, not gunna wait 6 weeks, just can’t wait 👍🍺

A beautiful thing!

24 minutes ago, Spudley said:

5 weeks young now so time to slice in half, vacuum pack in bags then refrigerate 👍🍺🍻

Silly question Spudders - mate cut in half just so easier to do the vacuum seal or is there some other reason?

Great job mate - great job!

They look very good.

31 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Silly question Spudders - mate cut in half just so easier to do the vacuum seal or is there some other reason?

Great job mate - great job!

They look very good.

Yes mate , they are a about 14 inches long when full length, halving them makes packaging easier and halving makes for a good snack size 👍🍺🍻

• Like 1