Coopers Community

All Things Salumi

ben 10

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

What have you got and is it any good?

Cheers @iBooz2 Boozer.

Mate I don't think I am quite on the money here - with my suggestion - but maybe the place where I got my Sausie Stuffer might have something you are chasing... and they seem to be a pretty useful and helpful lot.  Also when a pretty new electronic 10kg Balance Scale did not work properly I phoned them up and described the problem and they sent me a new one when some more came in -- which sorta gives me a little confidence in them as well.   They are in WA but seem to do good deals on shipping. 

https://butcherquip.com.au/

I only own a Sausie Stuffer as I have been kindly provided the ground pork to whatever spec (die/plate hole size and whatever cut and extra fat content I am chasing) I want from my local Village Butcher about 40km away.

I got a Trespade one when it was on spesh once and it works nicely.  I do find sausage stuffing easier with two people.

Maybe if you have a meat grinder-stuffer combo it might work easier if you hafta do it by yourself... but at the time I did not want to venture into meat grinding as me cobber over there did such a nice job for me...

I think that the upright ones are supposedly better but hey this one seems to do a nice job so I am ok with horizontal ones.

HTH mate 👍

image.png.7a9192b6d4c42a5de6d181ff7b6411f9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2022 at 11:55 PM, iBooz2 said:

I have been thinking of buying a mincer / meat grinder / sausage stuffer (for want of a better phrase) bit of kit so looking for ideas from the small goods gurus like @interceptor and others.  What have you got and is it any good?

Cheers

Al, I'm almost certain our salami guru, interceptor, has a Reber model meat mincer.

I can't afford the Reber so I have the Kenwood - it has a cooling fan for the motor and has all metal parts - read no plastic.

I've had it for years and it hasn't missed a beat.

This model: https://www.kenwoodworld.com/en-au/pro-1400-food-mincer/p/MG450

The Reber's are on sale at this location. https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product/mincer-motorized-reber-no-12-0-5-hp/

That's a good price for that model.....

I have a 5kg sausage stuffer/filler I purchased online about 10 years ago and still works a treat.....

Similar to this: https://www.vevor.com.au/commercial-sausage-stuffers-jerky-shooters-c_10643/5l-sausage-filler-stuffer-maker-commercial-stainless-steel-horizontal-machine-p_010385141927

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2022 at 1:39 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

I got a Trespade one when it was on spesh once and it works nicely.  I do find sausage stuffing easier with two people.

I think that the upright ones are supposedly better but hey this one seems to do a nice job so I am ok with horizontal ones.

HTH mate 👍

Thanks @Itinerant Peasant , yep the pastime of stuffing the ole sausage is much more fun with someone else involved 😜,  cute beer drinking member of the opposite sex for me. 😁

I did see quite a while back a battery powered caulking gun, all SS except for the nozzle and that sprung back into my mind when I saw the link to your gadget.  Hmm, I wonder if that would work if the nozzle was cut to the correct size. ha ha.

• Like 1

Thanks MickeBoy @Mickep ,  I downloaded the manual for the Kenwood unit and will have a read.  Interesting that the spec on the Kenwood (kg per hour) is about the same as the Reber in your link.  Also strange is the Reber link says only 400 W motor and that cannot be right when Kenwood is 1400 W.  The Kenwood's fan would no doubt be working overtime at full pelt mincing whereas the Reber is heat-sink cooled as well as a fan so it probably world not break into a sweat at full pelt.   

I don't want to mince up a whole pig or even a big part of a pig (for example) just want to make some nice mince from some quality cuts of meat that we have chosen for the purpose.  There are only two of us so the Kenwood might fit the bill.

Still in a holding pattern re this bit of kit so lots of homework yet before I decide if I want to got down this path or just trust our local butcher (who does do a very good job anyway) continue this job  I just love kitchen gadgets and stuff so sorta want one.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 11:55 PM, iBooz2 said:

What have you got and is it any good?

Yes, my stuff is good. I got the reber mixer on run out. Blew a seal but was easily replaced. The sausage stuffer is good too. 

I had a cheap one and it is a waste of time. If I was to purchase again I'd get a vertical stuffer.  

5L Vertical Sausage Stuffer | Smoked & Cured (smokedandcured.com.au)

This may be good Huon Distributors - Meat and Food Industry SuppliersSalami Maker Starter Kit

How and where are you going to cure them????

These things Shop Misty Gully Banquet Bags & Umai Bags - Smoked & Cured (smokedandcured.com.au) work great for a normal fridge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Also strange is the Reber link says only 400 W motor and that cannot be right when Kenwood is 1400 W. 

Pretty sure mine is only 0.50 HP... it's not fast but just kinda chugs away

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 5:18 PM, iBooz2 said:

stuffing

Getting the salami casings prepped and then getting the really tight pack without any airgaps as @interceptor Ceptor and the books have identified quite clearly are an important issue and I reckon making sure the pre-pack of the meat is good and then the flow is right and then ensuring the subsequent pack in the skins is good can be a bit tricky... 

Funny tho the great village Butcher who supplies my pork at whatever config -- he said that the first thing as Butcher's apprentices they had to be able to master was making sausages themselves....  and if I could not do it by self woulda got the sack : )

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, interceptor said:

I'm good with that just crap at the twisting bit, well, can do then but not make the cool looking butchers way

When I was married 😬 sometime last century my Father in Law was a Butcher, I have seen the made many times, even had a few goes, it get's easier every time you do it.

With all of the modern technology/equipment available these days it would be easy to knock them out looking good.