Coopers Community

All Things Salumi

ben 10

Just now, Green Blob said:

Correct, I think they are slightly better than the ones from the Barossa... 

I wouldn't be at all surprised, I used to sell Beef Jerky to the Pubs as a sideline with the Stubby Holders etc & the suppliers kept trying to get me to push their Salami/Mettwurst etc, but most of the time there was a local bloke making it & it was better than theirs. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

tasting awesome by themselves, but with sharp cheese, olives, pickles, bread & beer & wine too.

Good suggestions @CLASSIC Phil might take your advice tomorrow and see if I can muster up a combo like the above... tho might go beer over wine (at least to begin with) and shop olives as I don't grow and pickle me own... one day maybe?  ; )  Mmm yeah and shop cheese ; )

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Good suggestions @CLASSIC Phil might take your advice tomorrow and see if I can muster up a combo like the above... tho might go beer over wine (at least to begin with) and shop olives as I don't grow and pickle me own... one day maybe?  ; )  Mmm yeah and shop cheese ; )

Ha Grausbster, Happy Easter, don't forget Crusty bread, but I am sure you already have some. Cheers.

• Like 1

Ah yes - there was bread - Rye Hard Wheat Blend with Caraway, Sunflower Seeds and Almond Slivers yummy.  And yes forgot to note (was a bit hazy yesterday) that the below cheese and tommies not mine but the rest all home made... including the Wurst and cured Filetto, pickled Zooks and festive Crackers ; )  Filetto a bit salty - probs left it brining a bit too long?

image.thumb.png.76c2e43e28b481def34cb25617ff84be.png

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 3:27 PM, Green Blob said:

You don't need binder, I don't use anything. Just work the meat.

@Green BlobYep good call Ben, as you work the meat the proteins break down and help with binding, adding a pinch of salt also helps. I do this instead of adding egg or bread crumbs.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2021 at 5:48 PM, Green Blob said:

How do you keep those things from getting mouldy? You are in NQ with even higher humidity and temps than here in SEQ. I buy some mettwurst from the butcher and leave it to dry a little and within days, they're mouldy AF. I'd like to do these sort of things but besides a little jerky and biltong made in a dehydrator, I haven't had much luck. 

As a kid, we had Portugese neighbours and they made this awesome cured meat, similar to Spanish Serrano but better, but they had it curing in the cellar with hardly any humidity at all. When I see the pics above, I start salivating. All I can do is pickle some chillies, cukes or beets. The rest keeps going off on me 😞 

30 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

How do you keep those things from getting mouldy?

It is mouldy, but the good stuff.
I spent $2,500 on a dedicated curing cabinet. Temp and humidity controlled.
The above picture is a shoulder - spalla - and I hung it in August. So very very happy with the taste and colour.
Nothing but non-iodised salt and some pepper. Has a lovely little funk which is, I assume, from the penicillin.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

It is mouldy, but the good stuff.
I spent $2,500 on a dedicated curing cabinet. Temp and humidity controlled.
The above picture is a shoulder - spalla - and I hung it in August. So very very happy with the taste and colour.
Nothing but non-iodised salt and some pepper. Has a lovely little funk which is, I assume, from the penicillin.

Is there a way to do this without remortgaging the house? Hang it from a clothes horse with a heater nearby maybe? I'd like to try something like that. It looks so good.

1 minute ago, Green Blob said:

LOL, need to control temperature and humidity.
A second hand fridge with inkbird and a dehumidifier should do the trick.

https://www.cleaversalumicabinets.com/salumi-curing

Cheers mate. I'll keep the link as it might come in handy. The old fridge might be an option. If unused, it can double as a ferment fridge 🙂 

• Like 1

@Green Blob GB and @Aussiekraut AK G'day Lads.

Yes as GB points out you desperately need to be able to control BOTH Temp and Humidity.

I run at 78%RH and 11 Deg C. 

I did look at the DIY Fridge and Dehumidifier but was a bit concerned I might not get it right and dealing with meat... sort of was a bit concerned.  Am sure plenty do ok with that method. 

What I did is ring the festive Cleaver Salumi Cabinet people and put me name on the list for an Ex-Demo baby cabinet version... which is plenty big enough for me...

And I just had to wait for the Ex Demo to come available... saved a bit but was still expensive yeah... but they work beautifully and just are nice bits of kit and I saved up and lashed out and got one.

Cleaver are based in Warragul in Victoria and it nice to know that they are an Aussie Company...  it is - yes - made in China but at least it is Aussie designed sold and supported...

Anyway... yes... it is a pretty severe expense.... but it is a great machine and as @Green Blob GB has shown you can make beautiful Salumi-Schinken-cured pork type products  ; )

Edited by Graubart

• 2 weeks later...