Coopers Community

14 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

I’m going to keep asking, @Woodsy1525230278 😛

Not been on for a few days, here’s the original for those interested;

Coopers Pale tin

500g LDME

400g raw honey (i used locally sourced stuff, quite a floral variety)

400g quick oats

1.5kg US 2 row, although for my re-brew I think I used Marris Otter...

250g medium crystal 

hops-total 200g. US cashmere, Azacca, Simcoe, El Dorado. 25g of each, added for 30 min steep at flameout (total 100g), then remaining 100g as dry hop day 7.

hop Schedule  changed slightly Between original and re-brew due to LHBS availability. 

US 05 11g

basic method:

mash grains and oats for 60 mins 66 degrees. 5L water approx.
3 L sparge,

add extract, honey dissolved in minimal boiled water, LDME. 
23L batch. 

pitch yeast 18 degrees. 

My OG was around 1053, FG 1012

Enjoy!

PS I plan to write an in depth review of my MOTB experience. 😁

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally did a comparison last night ... one on the right was from the can ... left from my keg.

Asked my daughter and grandson to sample and give opinions without being told which was which ...  Daughter thought the right was homebrew (wrong) ... and preferred the left one.

Grandson picked right and but again preferred the homebrew.

Both good beers ... but I preferred the can version ... I think the homebrew version was a bit "cleaner" for want of a better word ...  I used Tasmanian "Bush" honey and I think this has a distinctive taste that can be easily picked out from the can version.

If I was to brew it again I would use different honey. All in all ... a great exercise and 19 litres of good beer to consume .... whats not to like about that?

Cheers Mark

IMG_1627.jpg

• Like 6

"I wonder if appearance had anything to do with her guess? " ... ha ha ... sure did ... she said so straight way ... cloudy one is yours ... fooled straight up.

She thought this because I never clarify my beers ... but as you can see in the photo ... the keg sample is clearer.

I did tell her in the end that the can sample was partly can fermented ... hence the haze.

Cheers Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi a newbie here. First brew coming up. I'm keen to make a pretty stock standard Aussie Lager to begin with. I'm using the Excel Extract calculator and have come up with the following recipe for my first brew.

Coopers Lager 1.7kg

Brew enhancer 3

LDME 500grams

Saflager  Yeast 34/70

Fermenter vessel 21litres

Is this going to be okay? TIA

Edited by Mickep

11 hours ago, Mickep said:

Is this going to be okay

Hi Mick

Try to keep the fermentation temperature around 12°C for that yeast if you can.  Contrary to the name, the Coopers Lager does not make a great lager.  It makes an okay ale though.  Your ingredients give it the best chance to finish up well.  Good choice of BE, extra LDM, good choice of yeast.  It might work out well.

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

the Coopers Lager does not make a great lager. 

Hey, hey, Shamus, the Euro Lager with Notty Yeast was one of the best tasting pre-bottling brews I've made so far!

😅😝

Edited by pilotsh
I can't spell "I've" correctly!

6 hours ago, pilotsh said:

Hey, hey, Shamus, the Euro Lager with Notty Yeast was one of the best tasting pre-bottling brews I've made so far!

😅😝

I agree that the European Lager is a good beer.  The Coopers Original Series Lager lags behind the Euro by a long way.  It is good for a base to build on, but pretty plain on its own.

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Mick

Try to keep the fermentation temperature around 12°C for that yeast if you can.  Contrary to the name, the Coopers Lager does not make a great lager.  It makes an okay ale though.  Your ingredients give it the best chance to finish up well.  Good choice of BE, extra LDM, good choice of yeast.  It might work out well.

Cheers mate,

Thanks for the heads up.

7 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I agree that the European Lager is a good beer.  The Coopers Original Series Lager lags behind the Euro by a long way.  It is good for a base to build on, but pretty plain on its own.

So what would be a good combo of coopers extract and yeast coming into the warmer months in Victoria. I'm afraid I've been a CUB drinker all my life and just starting out on the home brew thing. Have to ease my way into the varieties on offer😉

Thanks for your replies by the way, appreciated.

12 hours ago, Mickep said:

So what would be a good combo of coopers extract and yeast coming into the warmer months in Victoria. I'm afraid I've been a CUB drinker all my life and just starting out on the home brew thing. Have to ease my way into the varieties on offer😉

Thanks for your replies by the way, appreciated.

Hey Mick,

You would get a good result from the same recipe you mention above, but swap out the OS Coopers Lager for the European Lager.

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

but swap out the OS Coopers Lager for the European Lager.

😃

The only reason the (original plain) Lager is good is because it is free with the Brew Kit. Even then, it's like winning a competition but the prize is a pair of socks, made of corduroy! 🤣🤔

(And they still pack Brew Enhancer 1 with it, not BE2!) 🙋‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Based on what I tasted with my "European Lager brewed Ale Style experiment", definitely a +1 from me to use Euro Lager over Reg Lager.

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mickep said:

Hey Mick, don't let the home brew snobs get to you. CUB make some good beers. VB is one of them. (I'll just wait for the avalanche of ridicule now. Haha.) But a cold VB on a hot day is alright by me.
Go to the recipes page and check out Green Neck Lager. Very simple recipe and if you have temperature control for the ferment you'll make a bloody good home brew. The kit yeast is a lager yeast so you won't need to buy added yeast. By the way, it doesn't taste like VB.

Late edit: Here's the Green Neck link. It says 21 litres but I pad it out to 23 for two reasons:
1. It reduces the ABV to around 4.5%
2. I'm a tight@rse and I want my 30 bottles from my KnKs. 😄 
https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/green-neck-lager.html

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 2