Coopers Community

On 5/24/2020 at 10:11 PM, pilotsh said:

I am interested in this, as when I go to the supermarket, there are MANY varieties of honey!

If you are allowed to say, did you specify to Coopers which variety of honey you used, and, did they use the same one for the "final product".

Thank you Woodsy! 🥳

To be honest I used raw Jarrah Honey from some friends bee hives-they used to sell it locally where we used to live in Perth. 
I’m not exactly sure what Coopers used but I don’t think it was raw. But then again, I’ve brewed with the processed varieties too and they’ve come out good as well. 
I tend to go for more floral varieties.  

• Thanks 1

Having had another go at @Woodsy1525230278 beer last night and I reckon the cans are better when left to sit upright for a week or so (as in my case) then poured into a glass leaving the yeast behind.  Really enjoyed the next round of these cans by doing this method and think it lets the beers true flavour shine through much better so going to do this technique with remainder of the slab.  Don't get me wrong I love a cold Coopers Pale Ale that's been slowly rolled along a bar then opened and poured.

But with @Woodsy1525230278 beer cans I just think the yeast takes something away from the beer IMO.

Great beer as already mentioned and going savoir every last can.

Cheers - AL

On 5/14/2020 at 8:50 PM, Woodsy1525230278 said:

I think it will be ROTM for June? 

I know you can't reveal your recipe, but do you think if it is a ROTM that they'll be able to reproduce your exact recipe, or will they have to cut a few corners to keep it simple (or at least no more complicated than, say, an ESVA ROTM)?

7 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

I know you can't reveal your recipe, but do you think if it is a ROTM that they'll be able to reproduce your exact recipe, or will they have to cut a few corners to keep it simple (or at least no more complicated than, say, an ESVA ROTM)?

Hmm not sure, my recipe involved a mini mash, I haven’t seen many of the ROTM previously, if they promote the mini mash method, I guess yeah they’d be able to reproduce mine. 👍

On 5/26/2020 at 1:12 AM, Woodsy1525230278 said:

I’m not exactly sure what Coopers used

You might have used Jarrah, but I don't think we'll ever know if so did Coopers (or they switched it our for another variety) 😕

I wouldn't be surprised if the T&C's state that they can do whatever they like with all contest entries recipes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I popped into Uncle Dan's this morning after their website said there was stock in store of Woodsy's beer.

I got there, only 4 X 6 packs on the shelf. 

I bought a 6 pack to try and picked up a case of Coopers XPA cans as well.

Just had a taste. Bloody hell. Hats off @Woodsie1525230252 this beer is sensationally well balanced. Not quite in IPA territory as others have also mentioned, but hats off to you sir. Very well played indeed. I do get a nice hop taste and good bitterness to match. Not sure if you can give away too much but I'd guess there's a Cooper's yeast strain there which is working well.

I wish I'd have bought the cartons worth of your beer now after tasting this, instead of the case of XPA cans haha. I prefer yours mate.

Will head back and grab the rest of them. Bloody delicious. Job well done. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

Well, I popped into Uncle Dan's this morning after their website said there was stock in store of Woodsy's beer.

I got there, only 4 X 6 packs on the shelf. 

I bought a 6 pack to try and picked up a case of Coopers XPA cans as well.

Just had a taste. Bloody hell. Hats off @Woodsie1525230252 this beer is sensationally well balanced. Not quite in IPA territory as others have also mentioned, but hats off to you sir. Very well played indeed. I do get a nice hop taste and good bitterness to match. Not sure if you can give away too much but I'd guess there's a Cooper's yeast strain there which is working well.

I wish I'd have bought the cartons worth of your beer now after tasting this, instead of the case of XPA cans haha. I prefer yours mate.

Will head back and grab the rest of them. Bloody delicious. Job well done. 

Thanks a lot for the feedback mate, means a lot 👍

• Like 1

Bonza beer, Woodsy!

It was my first use of a new glass I picked up from my favourite independent brewer yesterday. The beer went down so quick and easy I was checking the glass for leaks! 🤣

Great job by both yourself and Coopers! 👍

20200529_172232.md.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/27/2020 at 12:00 PM, pilotsh said:

You might have used Jarrah, but I don't think we'll ever know if so did Coopers (or they switched it our for another variety) 😕

I wouldn't be surprised if the T&C's state that they can do whatever they like with all contest entries recipes.

There is no way in hell coopers used jarrah honey. It is so much more expensive than say Redgum or marri. Think it’s around 50 a kg at the moment 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

There's no way only 25g of each hop was used in a 21 ltr batch. Using 12.5 g of each in a hop stand and dry hop is hardly enough IMO

Yeah, and how Jarrah honey became "Standard Honey"! It sort of sux that they can do whatever they like with your recipe and it isn't even exactly true to the original.

I was going to buy some more at Dan's tomorrow and now I probably something else!

There was an article about Woody's beer on the Crafty pint a couple weeks ago too which said it was originally a 20 ltr batch, was done on the stove as a partial mash, and used uncle Toby's quick oats.

The diy recipe is for 23trs, calls for malted oats and the directions are more of a steep than a mash.

1 hour ago, Instigator said:

Seems to be in keeping with the normal DIY Beer recipes. I'd be pretty certain that the commercial Coopers ESVA brews etc aren't done with extract and steeps, either. 👍

Yeah fair point. Can't give too much away I suppose. 

However I know a Lhbs has a clone recipe on hand for another well known brewer, because someone left the recipe clip board hanging up on a hook next to the mash tun, and a sneaky punter took a cheeky photo whilst on a brewery tour. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

However I know a Lhbs has a clone recipe on hand for another well known brewer, because someone left the recipe clip board hanging up on a hook next to the mash tun, and a sneaky punter took a cheeky photo whilst on a brewery tour. 

Post up, Karlos!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/3/2020 at 11:46 AM, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Chris Woods' Fruit Of The Woods IPA (Master Of The Brewniverse 2020) ROTM Pack is here. Once they are gone, they are gone! 

For our international friends, recipe is here: Chris Woods' Fruit Of The Woods IPA (Master Of The Brewniverse 2020).pdf

Cheers,

Coopers DIY Beer Team 🍻

Sold Out already. I was to slow.

Given recent demand are Coopers considering another batch?