Coopers Community

Yes, You can. I used it as a soaker/sanitiser, but prefer the "Clean Boost" as it doesn't have the lingering chlorine smell.  And spraying Bleach around from a spray bottle didn't fit well with me.

The other non rinse Sanitiser I was thinking about is Stellar San about $10 for 500mls.

A lot of the Forum Crew use this as an alternative to Star San.

Both Star San and Stellar San are also in a concentrated form which you add to water

StellarSan-500ml-270x372.jpg

Edited by Pickles Jones

42 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

Yes, You can. I used it as a soaker/sanitiser, but prefer the "Clean Boost" as it doesn't have the lingering chlorine smell.  And spraying Bleach around from a spray bottle didn't fit well with me.

The other non rinse Sanitiser I was thinking about is Stellar San about $10 for 500mls.

A lot of the Forum Crew use this as an alternative to Star San.

Both Star San and Stellar San are also in a concentrated form which you add to water

StellarSan-500ml-270x372.jpg

Fantastic, cheers!

4 hours ago, Mickep said:

What's the preference among the group here for what to use for sanitizing the kit? TIA

Many on here use no-rinse sanitisers.  StarSan is one as is StellaSan.  You make up a solution with 1-2ml of the liquid in a litre of water.  It can be reused.  Lots of us also fill a spray bottle with the diluted solution to coat the inside of fermenters and other large surfaces.  Screenshots of some details are shown below.

Untitled2.jpg.ac1ea1df0ce4c82f60fdb9abb1dc0c66.jpg

You can get "No Name" versions that are Phosphoric Acid based.  I used a version of this for ages.

Untitled.jpg.73a99f71c0993edb6bc1e001e07e8588.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Many on here use no-rinse sanitisers.  StarSan is one as is StellaSan.  You make up a solution with 1-2ml of the liquid in a litre of water.  It can be reused.  Lots of us also fill a spray bottle with the diluted solution to coat the inside of fermenters and other large surfaces.  Screenshots of some details are shown below.

Untitled2.jpg.ac1ea1df0ce4c82f60fdb9abb1dc0c66.jpg

You can get "No Name" versions that are Phosphoric Acid based.  I used a version of this for ages.

Untitled.jpg.73a99f71c0993edb6bc1e001e07e8588.jpg

Thanks Shamus.

Hi,

I think I've ballsed up my first Coopers brew. Rookie mistake and I'm not quite sure whether it's a disaster or not.

Recipe:

Tin 1.7kg Coopers Lager

1KG Brew enhancer 3

500grams LDME

Yeast: 34/70 Saflager.

Only problem is I have pitched both the saflager yeast and the kit lager yeast into the fermenter. Is that going to make the brew undrinkable?

Sorry to keep asking questions here. Can anyone give me a few tips on how to avoid the dried malt clumping. I made a complete mess of it in my first brew after watching vids on the net.

1kg of dme and it clumped like there was no tomorrow, took ages for me to gid rid of the mess. Any tips? I'd put the DME into the fermenter first and then added water (Hot) Was that the issue?

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

Okay thanks Pickles, is there a way to minimise it or just don't worry about it at all.

This is what I do in the current Coopers fermenter that is pretty heat resistant.  I drop 0.5 - 1.0 kg of LDM into the fermenter. Pour in a kettle full (1.5 litres) of boiling water. Place the fermenter lid on. Pick up the fermenter and swirl around the contents for a minute. Gently for the first few seconds, until the dust is envelopped by the liquid.  Vigorously enough for a good swirl, but not so much that it splashes around.  This does much better than stirring only.

I find this gets rid of most lumps.  Give the rest a bit of a stir.  By the time I have added the can contents and stirred it, added any other ingredients and stirred them, added the top up water and stirring as I go, the lumps have almost always dissolved by then.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 10:07 AM, Pickles Jones said:

I can't see a problem with using dishwashing liquid try to get a pure detergent one, not scented. I used to use detergent but now I just wash everything using plain water to clean then hose the FV out.

I use Star San as the final 'rinse' just before starting a brew  and on the bottles the day before bottling. This is the last thing I do to the bottles before bottling. Keep some Star San in a spray bottle so you can use it when necessary.

Clean Boost  (Sodium Percarbonate 320g/KG) is very good for soaking bottles and bits and pieces. It's unscented and affordable at $3.50 for a KG and available at Woolworths.

These are the things I use.

As Shamus said you must rinse well.

246193.jpg

Hey Pickles what's the ratio per litre for this product when using it for home brew?

3 hours ago, Mickep said:

Hey Pickles what's the ratio per litre for this product when using it for home brew?

Mickep, I use a level cap full in about 25 litres of water and put the bottles and/or other stuff in. I got a couple of those cheap plastic tubs from K Mart about $5 each. Sorry I can't give you the amount to use per litre.

1 hour ago, Pickles Jones said:

Sorry I can't give you the amount to use per litre.

But you just did:

1 hour ago, Pickles Jones said:

I use a level cap full in about 25 litres of water

So you use 1/25th of a capful per litre

😋🤓

Edited by pilotsh
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

Mickep, I use a level cap full in about 25 litres of water and put the bottles and/or other stuff in. I got a couple of those cheap plastic tubs from K Mart about $5 each. Sorry I can't give you the amount to use per litre.

Thanks PJ

40 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Mickep & @pilotsh, I use a level teaspoon per litre (roughly).  So a teaspoon into a 750ml bottle for cleaning/soaking purposes.  24 teaspoons or 8 tablespoons into 24-30 litres of water in a fermenter.  Soak overnight in both cases.

Really hard to measure 1/25th of a cap full.

Cheers Shamus

My 100% Sodium Pecarbonate says 7g per litre, so I just zero the scales and pour in about 140g into the 23Lt FV and stir. (I under dose slightly as I also use boiling water and stellarsan as well in the whole clean/sanitise process).

So if that clean boost one is 320g/Kg, then it is about 1/3rd strength, so maybe 21g/Litre?

Edited by pilotsh
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, pilotsh said:

My 100% Sodium Pecarbonate says 7g per litre, so I just zero the scales and pour in about 140g into the 23Lt FV and stir. (I under dose slightly as I also use boiling water and stellarsan as well in the whole clean/sanitise process).

So if that clean boost one is 320g/Kg, then it is about 1/3rd strength, so maybe 21g/Litre?

Are you sure it is supposed to be 7g/l? I'm pretty sure my 100% SP says something like 30g/9-10l. I never use more than that. I already go through a 5kg bag in next to no time. 

43 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Are you sure it is supposed to be 7g/l? I'm pretty sure my 100% SP says something like 30g/9-10l. I never use more than that. I already go through a 5kg bag in next to no time. 

Can you please post a photo? Here is my 100% SP bottle, and Kegland’s multi alternative (it also gets the oils, which pure SP does not):

So I thought 5-7g per litre was about right, but yours has a different dosage! Back to square one! Anyone else out there have any dosage instructions!?

6EBAC343-9F99-46CC-BF4B-3AB57E8C4321.jpeg

FAB64601-FD46-487D-9258-BBE8CDCBF3E5.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh

23 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

Can you please post a photo? Here is my 100% SP bottle, and Kegland’s multi alternative (it also gets the oils, which pure SP does not):

So I thought 5-7g per litre was about right, but yours has a different dosage! Back to square one! Anyone else out there have any dosage instructions!?

6EBAC343-9F99-46CC-BF4B-3AB57E8C4321.jpeg

FAB64601-FD46-487D-9258-BBE8CDCBF3E5.jpeg

This is the stuff I buy from the HBS. make the picture bigger and you can read the label. Only for beer line cleaning do they recommend using more.

https://hoppydaysbrewingsupplies.com.au/product/sodium-percarbonate-4-kg-bag/

So essentially 3g/l for normal cleaning duties. I add about 90g to my FVs and fill them up to the brim, then let them sit for 24 hours. This strips away the caked in krausen ring and all. Pretty good stuff.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

hello everyone im pretty new to brewing coopers mixes and i had good success with my coopers larger but i find it a little cloudy. I went online and look at some ideas ,this last batch of coopers larger i fermented it  with  brew enhancer#2 let it ferment for 5days until i got a  hydro reading of 1010 then instead of bottling i transfered it to another carboy. is this called Racking?

I aslo  read that this will clear beer for me. I want to know if i like the  beer set in the racking  carboy  will i still  be able to carbinate  with  the coopers surgar drop? 

1 hour ago, rtotem1 said:

hello everyone im pretty new to brewing coopers mixes and i had good success with my coopers larger but i find it a little cloudy. I went online and look at some ideas ,this last batch of coopers larger i fermented it  with  brew enhancer#2 let it ferment for 5days until i got a  hydro reading of 1010 then instead of bottling i transfered it to another carboy. is this called Racking?

I aslo  read that this will clear beer for me. I want to know if i like the  beer set in the racking  carboy  will i still  be able to carbinate  with  the coopers surgar drop? 

Hi @rtotem1

Welcome to the forum. Attached Instructions, you may find this useful. There are many others available. Cheers.

how-to-videos.html