Coopers Community

5 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Hey Mick, don't let the home brew snobs get to you. CUB make some good beers. VB is one of them. (I'll just wait for the avalanche of ridicule now. Haha.) But a cold VB on a hot day is alright by me.
Go to the recipes page and check out Green Neck Lager. Very simple recipe and if you have temperature control for the ferment you'll make a bloody good home brew. The kit yeast is a lager yeast so you won't need to buy added yeast. By the way, it doesn't taste like VB.

Late edit: Here's the Green Neck link. It says 21 litres but I pad it out to 23 for two reasons:
1. It reduces the ABV to around 4.5%
2. I'm a tight@rse and I want my 30 bottles from my KnKs. 😄 
https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/green-neck-lager.html

Cheers Muzzy,

And yes I've been a VB drinker most of my adult life, which has been a while now 🤣. Trying out this home brew thing whilst locked up in side the house in Victoria. Kids gave me a home brew kit from Mad Millies and I thought the 9 litres was not enough so I've decided to get into the Coopers fermenter size and products. I appreciate all the feedback I'm getting. So thanks for posting the Green Neck link mate. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Mickep said:

As a newbie just wondering as the weather warms up in Victoria can I substitute Saflager 34/70 with something like Saf US-05 for a lager brew?

You can make a psuedo-lager which uses an ale yeast fermented cooler. You will still need to control the temp though because if it gets too warm you will get the ale esters.

Nottingham is good for this and fermented around 15-16 degrees.

• Like 1

Quick one, and apologies in advance if this is a silly question but would it be okay to use Kveik yeast in with the Coopers European Lager. I'm curious only because the weather is warming up in Victoria and the Kveik yeast seems to boast at least online anyways that it might be able to handle higher temps even when brewing lagers. 

6 hours ago, pilotsh said:

It appears to be so, but it depends on it's baseline. Have you checked that it reads 1 (10, 1000, zero etc) in distilled water at 21c?

😁

I checked it in water at 20 degrees and yes it read 1. At least that's what the instructions said to do. (It's not the Coopers brew kit Hydrometer) Thanks for clarifying the reading for me.

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

You are better off using Oxy-san unscented laundry soaker. Either way you have to rinse really well.

Cheers Shamus, sorry to keep asking these really simple questions. I find the info I'm getting here at the forum really valuable for someone like me just starting out. The Internet Google searches just doesn't cut it sometimes - so thanks a million.

• Like 1

I can't see a problem with using dishwashing liquid try to get a pure detergent one, not scented. I used to use detergent but now I just wash everything using plain water to clean then hose the FV out.

I use Star San as the final 'rinse' just before starting a brew  and on the bottles the day before bottling. This is the last thing I do to the bottles before bottling. Keep some Star San in a spray bottle so you can use it when necessary.

Clean Boost  (Sodium Percarbonate 320g/KG) is very good for soaking bottles and bits and pieces. It's unscented and affordable at $3.50 for a KG and available at Woolworths.

These are the things I use.

As Shamus said you must rinse well.

246193.jpg

Edited by Pickles Jones
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

I can't see a problem with using dishwashing liquid try to get a pure detergent one, not scented. I used to use detergent but now I just wash everything using plain water to clean then hose the FV out.

I use Star San as the final 'rinse' just before starting a brew  and on the bottles the day before bottling. This is the last thing I do to the bottles before bottling. Keep some Star San in a spray bottle so you can use it when necessary.

Clean Boost  (Sodium Percarbonate 320g/KG) is very good for soaking bottles and bits and pieces. It's unscented and affordable at $3.50 for a KG and available at Woolworths.

These are the things I use.

As Shamus said you must rinse well.

246193.jpg

Thanks heaps Pickles. Just so I've got this absolutely clear,  you're using Clean Boost as a cleaning/washing agent and the Star San separately as your sanitizer. 

Yes. Clean Boost for Washing (soaking). Star San is a Sanitiser only It is not a "cleaner" as such. It is non rinse so don't rinse in water after using. It should be the last thing you do to the" kit" before brewing and and should be done just before using the FV, bottles etc.

Star San is expensive in Australia but you use very little of it. There is another product with a very similar name which I understand is cheaper I can't recall its name but I am sure someone will post its details and where to get it.

Keeping everything clean and sanitised is of utmost importance and should always be in your mind keep the spray bottle handy!

Edited by Pickles Jones

10 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

Yes. Clean Boost for Washing (soaking). Star San is a Sanitiser only It is not a "cleaner" as such. It is non rinse so don't rinse in water after using. It should be the last thing you do to the" kit" before brewing and and should be done just before using the FV, bottles etc.

Star San is expensive in Australia but you use very little of it. There is another product with a very similar name which I understand is cheaper I can't recall its name but I am sure someone will post its details and where to get it.

Keeping everything clean and sanitised is of utmost importance and should always be in your mind keep the spray bottle handy!

Cheers Pickles, I'm using the Big W Brigalow products for now but working out way too expensive with the 275 gram bottles the products comes in. Sodium metabisulphite for sanitizing and washing with the alkaline salts as the detergent.  Interestingly the Brigalow advice is to rinse with cold water after sanitizing with the Sodium metabisulphite.

46 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

This is the only other product I can find on the net in Oz which states it's a sanitizer which can be used for Home brew kits.

iodophor sanitizer.