Coopers Community

Sports

PaddyBrew2

At least draws aren't that common in cricket, anymore at least. In soccer it's probably 80% of the results. If they got rid of the stupid off side rule it might be more entertaining. What kind of stupid game rewards a team for bad defence? Imagine if it existed in rugby league or union...nah sorry you can't run down there and score a try because the other team has no players in their half. Bloody ridiculous 😂

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Haha 1

I've become a V8 Supercars fan but not because I like motor sports. I can understand the participants being excited (vroom, vroom) but as a spectator I never really understood the attraction....until recently.
Todd Hazelwood, who is racing at Bathurst currently, is a friend of my son and has known him since primary school days. He's a terrific kid from a down to earth family and seeing him growing up racing go-karts to now being a bona fide Supercar driver is exciting for me to watch but I really have no idea about motor sports. I'm what you'd call the Supercars version of an Adelaide Crows supporter. Hahahaaaaaa.
Go Toddy! Car 35.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Cricket......... worst game in the world!

Having played cricket at a below average level for a number of years has given me an appreciation of Test cricket.
With my limited ability against often mediocre bowling, the longest innings I ever played was probably not much longer than an hour or two at the most. So when I see the top level guys able to bat for days sometimes against the best bowling in the world it's something I admire. Not just the skill to do so but the concentration required.
Having said that, I can understand the lack of viewing appeal to the uninitiated. It's funny, I took my kids to a few Big Bash games. Fireworks, loud music, dancing, all the razzamatazz in the world. Kids loved it. I was less enthusiastic about it all but I could see why the kids loved it.

• Like 2

Yep, love test cricket. I honestly can't stand T20, it's just a bunch of crap to me and I think one of the major contributors to the terrible batting techniques they try to use in the longer form these days. I played all through my childhood, top order mainly. I remember one game, we played on a turf wicket which was a rare treat, but unfortunately there was a storm the night before and the pitch was pretty wet the next morning being uncovered. I think they waited an hour or something before deciding it was going ahead. It was tough, the ball would pitch halfway down and hardly bounce or almost take your head off from a well pitched up ball. I never wore a helmet either because I couldn't stand them, but somehow managed to stay out there and hit 75. It did get easier to bat on as it dried out though. I always remember that day, I thought this must be like what the Bradman era players dealt with at times. Quite a learning experience compared to the usual boring old astro turf wickets. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 12:39 PM, Hilltop hops said:

My in laws are from South America where soccer/football is a religion, they are now AFL fanatics for that reason. They love the AFL free flowing high scoring game. 

AFL and free flowing do not belong in the same sentence 

• Haha 1

Depends on the team. Some play a more open, free flowing style while others prefer a more scrappy, full of stoppages etc. Scoring has been down a bit the last few years, but it's like everything, constantly evolving. In another few years they'll probably go back to kicking 15-20 goals a match again. 

14 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I won't be holding my breath but we can only hope.

You just have to play the Power... It seems even my not-so-great Roos can kick a million goals then! Although they would've done better in the Grand Final than GWS given they beat the Tigers handily at last meeting. 

Cricket? Nah... You need way too much free time to watch that. It's OK I guess, and I did watch it a fair bit when I was a kid, but there's just a lot of other things I'd rather be doing. 

• Like 1

Or the Gold coast 😂 I didn't think GWS really deserved to be in the grand final to be honest. There were 3 or 4 other teams that played better through the season than they did. 

As for the cricket, it's something I've loved ever since I can remember, probably some time around 1990/91 I started watching and learning to play it.  I don't like the way T20 has influenced test cricket (and anyone who says it hasn't is either lying or doesn't know anything about the game), but I still watch it every summer, and usually go to a couple of shield games at the Gabba too. Nothing better than sitting around having a few beers with the cricket on, either at home or the ground itself. It's synonymous with summer for me 😁

Yes, they've certainly dropped off, and it's free as well. I went to the 1995 final at the Gabba and it was packed, although lower capacity than now. Great atmosphere though. Even the regular games got a reasonable crowd back then, around a thousand or so. It just doesn't get any exposure anymore thanks to the big bash hit and giggle crap. 

• Like 1