Coopers Community

Sports

PaddyBrew2

On 8/23/2019 at 11:28 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Been the same for years over there. Blame the shitty batting techniques they use these days. No patience, playing nothing shots for no reason. That's why they're getting out easily. 

20-20 and ODI players. Very few batsmen today are prepared to grind it out at a crease at a Test. Warner and Smith are sluggers who want centuries every innings. The Boycott/Lawrie types are long gone. Blokes who could spend 5 days on the bat and give you 69 straight batted runs. Dour innings like that are one reason why the 50-over game started.

I blame T20 more myself. Before that rubbish existed they weren't in such a hurry even with 50 over cricket. I don't think they need to be stonewalling like  Boycott and Lawry but they just need to learn how to dig in and build an innings and cut out the rash shots, stop pushing forward to everything, but I also think they need to stop preparing such flat pitches everywhere because that way they might get more practice against swinging and seaming balls and not collapse in a heap whenever they do face it.

11 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Well, there you go. Stokes wins a test playing Big Bash cricket. Won't happen too often though. I'm sure Warner will have a crack regardless.

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Dunno if 135 off 219 balls is quite a big bash strike rate. 61 isn't smashing everything, but I guess batting with the tail he had to do most of the scoring, and Australia didn't bowl well either so he probably had a lot of balls that deserved to be hit. 

It was a very gutsy innings, it disappoints me to say. The 135 off 219 doesn't tell the full tale. The first half of the innings was just occupying the crease trying to grind out a draw. The game changed complexion so many times as wickets fell and/or partnerships were building. The way Stokes farmed the strike to protect Leach and was able to smash enough runs when the field was out is nothing short of remarkable. The f***ing Aussies certainly assisted him by floundering as the pressure built. We should've won but didn't. Well done, Stokes.

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah I wasn't able to watch it (damn early morning starts) but I heard about the still needing 79 runs or something with one wicket left. In that scenario you pretty much have to go for it, a number 11 usually isn't gonna stick around long enough to be able to grind it out. 

11 fours, 8 sixes - so 92 of his runs came from 19 balls. The remaining 40 odd came off 200. It really was an innings of contrasts. I do afternoon shifts so I only got to see the parts where he destroyed us.  😞

34 minutes ago, James Lao said:

I know its early days yet,  but both Liverpool AND Leeds are top of their respective leagues!

Wish the season would end tomorrow!

Cheers

James

I agree..............Except for the Liverpool part ha ha ha ha😂

I am actually quite disappointed Leeds aren’t 5 from 5. They absolutely dominated Forest and should’ve won comfortably. 

I’m not getting excited...........41 games to go and I remember last season!!

Edited by Beer Baron

23 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

To add insult to injury to Australia, Ben Stokes is a Kiwi.

Great knock by Stokes and makes Test Cricket Great Again?

In a peculiar way it makes me happier that Stokes is a Kiwi and not a Pom. Sort of says the Poms can't produce their own stars. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

In a peculiar way it makes me happier that Stokes is a Kiwi and not a Pom. Sort of says the Poms can't produce their own stars. 😄

I like your logic Muzzy, the poor Poms have to import players from the colonies to win against them!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

I like your logic Muzzy, the poor Poms have to import players from the colonies to win against them!!

I'm not sure if it's logic, Yeasty. It's probably more getting some consolation from the fact we stole defeat from the hands of certain victory.
Onwards and upwards to the next Test. Cheers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

My Mrs is having a girls night out tomorrow, so I'm staying here. Can't afford both of us drinking out 😂 undecided if I'll invite some mates over or just have the TV to myself for a night

Oh man what I wouldn’t give to have a night by myself at home drinking and watching sport in my undies!!

• Haha 3