Coopers Community

Sports

PaddyBrew2

15 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

If I bowled to you that day, trust me, you would have got nowhere near the pie-thrower day you got 120 odd! 😜

In my younger days I played a lot of representative cricket & from time to time went abroad on train (yes train journey) camps to isolated areas of the state vs local district teams.

As a young kid I was a good left arm orthodox spinner that around that time caused a few problems at lower district & country level for my age group that held into lower grade level. I was also a handy batsmen that was occasionally asked to retire early when the game was in our favour to allow other members of the team to have a bat.

As a young 'un I captained an undefeated year where our group absolutely destroyed the entire opposition. We often cleaned them up with our bowling & fielding skills that quickly, that if they batted second, we asked them to bat again to try to beat our score.

No team EVER did. 😊

Lusty.

Dude,

We we’re talking Golf Handicaps not cricket 🤣🤣🍺🍺

• Haha 1

I love cricket which is strange for an Irishman. I’ve never played it but would love to give it a bash. But at 39 I fear it’s too late. The local club closest to me is Scarborough cricket club where Justin Langer played for and Sydney Sixers opener Josh Phillipe still plays for 

In regards to golf, I hate it with a passion 😂 

When you’re playing well you’re on top of the world. When you can’t hit it out of your way you feel like cracking every club in the bag. I love watching it. The majors and the opens and the Ryder cups are always great for the drama 

48 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Dude,

We we’re talking Golf Handicaps not cricket 🤣🤣🍺🍺

....that lame defence.

Just means my group would have bowled your @$$ out in quick succession too.  😜

From current reading, your brewing is better than your batting ever was. 😉

Neither of you have ever mentioned your golf "handicap".

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

....that lame defence.

Just means my group would have bowled your @$$ out in quick succession too.  😜

From current reading, your brewing is better than your batting ever was. 😉

Neither of you have ever mentioned your golf "handicap".

Cheers,

Lusty.

Ha ha ok Lusty,

I’ll leave it alone regarding Golf.

I was a reasonable cricketer in my time, played 1st Grade in the Scarborough UK comp, a handy all rounder,  and I was on a piss drinking holiday for 10 months as my father used to own a pub there yrs ago which was run by his best mate when I visited, so not super fit but still smashed those pommy guys all around the park 🤣🤣

• Like 1

A lot of cricketers are golfers as well. 

I used to be pretty handy with the ball and bat when I played cricket, but I preferred bowling fast over spin. Broke a few fingers on opposition batsmen. Usually would swing the ball in. Unfortunately never made a century, although I suppose as a kid you don't really have the ability to concentrate for as long. Best I got to was 75, twice. We had a pretty decent team, won the competition two or three times. Didn't play any rep cricket though. I had batting coaching from Sam Trimble when I was about 13/14 which completely changed my game. He taught me everything but the thing that stood out was how to play short pitched bowling (two sessions were just bouncers the whole time). All of a sudden I had confidence to get inside the line instead of backing away, and would play a lot of pull shots. Never wearing a helmet I probably had a bit of an old school back foot technique, and I definitely enjoyed batting more after having that coaching. 

I went back and played a bit a few years ago which was fun, with one of the guys from my old team who I've kept in touch with. Probably wouldn't go back again now, the old reflexes aren't what they used to be facing quick bowling and it's not quite as fun as it once was, however I did find that I hadn't lost the basics that Sam taught me, 11 years or so after I finished regularly playing. Even though I wouldn't really play those pull shots I'd still get in behind it to defend. Did some bowling as well, took a few sessions to build back up to bowling quick again, and while I didn't break any bones this time around I did get one guy in the crown jewels which was pretty funny. 😂 Fun times

• Like 1

Interesting you mention him. I remember Sam talking about the Waugh twins and why Steve had an average about 10 higher than Mark, because he didn't play away from his body as much. I enjoyed watching them both, but yeah when Mark timed it, it went like a rocket. I think he hit a six onto Vulture St one day too. 

I saw Imran Khan hit a six at the Gabba, went straight through the old Brissy Bears Social Club window, glass everywhere, people were eating lunches etc 🤣🤣

My mate used to be a groundsman at the Gabba in the 90,s, said all the boys, Gilchrist, Waugh Brothers, Hayden, Lehmann we’re all good guys, but Slater was up himself big time and refused to  give autographs.

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2020 at 10:23 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

A lot of cricketers are golfers as well. 

I used to be pretty handy with the ball and bat when I played cricket, but I preferred bowling fast over spin. Broke a few fingers on opposition batsmen. Usually would swing the ball in. Unfortunately never made a century, although I suppose as a kid you don't really have the ability to concentrate for as long. Best I got to was 75, twice. We had a pretty decent team, won the competition two or three times. Didn't play any rep cricket though. I had batting coaching from Sam Trimble when I was about 13/14 which completely changed my game. He taught me everything but the thing that stood out was how to play short pitched bowling (two sessions were just bouncers the whole time). All of a sudden I had confidence to get inside the line instead of backing away, and would play a lot of pull shots. Never wearing a helmet I probably had a bit of an old school back foot technique, and I definitely enjoyed batting more after having that coaching. 

I went back and played a bit a few years ago which was fun, with one of the guys from my old team who I've kept in touch with. Probably wouldn't go back again now, the old reflexes aren't what they used to be facing quick bowling and it's not quite as fun as it once was, however I did find that I hadn't lost the basics that Sam taught me, 11 years or so after I finished regularly playing. Even though I wouldn't really play those pull shots I'd still get in behind it to defend. Did some bowling as well, took a few sessions to build back up to bowling quick again, and while I didn't break any bones this time around I did get one guy in the crown jewels which was pretty funny. 😂 Fun times

Here you go Otto, managed to dig it out of the archives. 🤣🤣

89E05738-3021-4788-AE9E-B8674F87A006.jpeg

• Haha 1

I always wanted one of those when I was growing up, but they weren't making them anymore. Closest I had was a "dynadrive". Had a couple of Gray Nicolls ultimate or something then went to Gunn & Moore. 

I bought a new one when I went back a few years ago because I didn't want to risk breaking my old one, the difference in the shape is insane. They both feel pretty much the same weight, pickup etc. but yeah. I think I prefer the older ones to be honest, at least they were pressed properly.

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I always wanted one of those when I was growing up, but they weren't making them anymore. Closest I had was a "dynadrive". Had a couple of Gray Nicolls ultimate or something then went to Gunn & Moore. 

I bought a new one when I went back a few years ago because I didn't want to risk breaking my old one, the difference in the shape is insane. They both feel pretty much the same weight, pickup etc. but yeah. I think I prefer the older ones to be honest, at least they were pressed properly.

I did have a double scoop Gray Nich, I think my brother may have it, that from memory was a lot heavier. The bats these days when I pick them up in Rebel or somewhere feel much lighter, come to think of it I think I cracked my double scoop and then switched to a County.

2 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Watching Aus Open tennis with my 5 yo daughter who loves tennis. Emotions are running high! She's more irrational than Kyrgios if that is possible. Time for a strong brew! 

Kyrgios is a deadset w@nker. I was hoping he would lose

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I have this stupid obsession with football and it really affects my sleeping around game times. 

If I’m not watching games I’m reading about games or getting online score updates. 

Sydney FC just lost to the West Sydney Scum and I’ll be angry for days and sleep poorly for days. 

• 3 months later...
On 7/28/2019 at 3:20 PM, Beer Baron said:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha good joke!!!

And this year will also be the year Leeds get promoted too ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

Hey Beer Baron,

I hear Trilby’s are extra tasty this time of year!!

84 haha’s back at ya mate!!

Just need Leeds to get promoted and you’ve done the double (negative)!!!

YNWA!!!!!

Allez Allez Allez!!!!!!!!!!!

Now ya gonna believe us!!!!

Cos we won the league!!!!

Cheers

James

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a dilemma. I have maintained from the start that this AFL season is so compromised due to Coronavirus restrictions, winning the premiership would have a question mark over it. I've likened it to winning AFLX or, for those old enough to remember, the Ardath Cup 😁.

But being an Essendon supporter and seeing we're going ok it's difficult not to get a little excited about our prospects for 2020.

I think the 16 minute quarters suit Essendon's style of play. We haven't been very good at playing well for long periods for about 20 years.

I've got a set of golf clubs which I am now selling after last Tuesday effort mates, if anyone is interested, some of the club's might be bent in half though. 

I am left handed & I've got the most prolific slice you can imagine,  I could almost tee off facing the wrong direction & it would probly wrap around like a boomerang. I might need to try.

As for footy it's been since '86 since the Parramatta eels last traveled the road to glory, hopfully we have found the road map again...yes long way to go-

• 2 weeks later...

Liverpool and Leeds  champions 2020!!!!

Who would have thought that eh!

Well deserved and looking forward to seeing them back in the English Premier League, where they belong and hopefully will stay.

Cheers

James

• 3 months later...

I grew up 5 pin bowling, took up the first 20+ years of my life. Now I'm trying my hand at 10 pin, in my late 40's. High school was basketball and curling.

I played a year of Aussie football for the Toronto Eagles, best friggin sport I have ever played! I was a Pies fan as a teenager, but playing for the Toronto Eagles has turned me in to a West Coast fan.

As for spectator sports, I try to support the Toronto teams (Raptors, Leafs, Blue Jays) but, I grew up on gridiron football so I mostly just support the Hamilton Tiger-cats and the Cleveland Browns.

btw, if anyone is willing to hunt down and ship a WC Eagles 39Thirty hat to Canada, I would be eternally grateful and will tip nicely (equivalent of a refill be enough?)

• Like 1

All that asterisk talk about the AFL season disappeared a long time ago, and to be honest so it should have. I know that it's been different in a lot of ways but in some ways it's probably been harder than a normal season despite being shorter. 

I hope they don't keep the short quarters next year and beyond, I know some think 20 minutes is too long but they could speed the game up by not waiting around for ruckmen at stoppages, or going back to what it used to be and not blowing time off for those situations. They used to be 25 minutes plus time on.

I also hope they don't do that footy every night thing again either. I just couldn't get into it outside of the weekends and a few big Thursday night games. 

• Like 2

On 2/11/2019 at 7:49 AM, Hairy said:

I grew up in Western Sydney so it was Rugby League in winter and Cricket in summer. I was an anomaly because played basketball which wasn't popular back then.

I have teams that I follow in most sports, some I am passionate about and some just to have an interest.

Passionate

Rugby League - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
NBA - Boston Celtics
NBL - Sydney Kings

Interest

AFL - Richmond (with a soft spot for GWS)
NFL - NE Patriots
MBL - Boston Red Sox

I have never been able to get interested in Rugby Union. I love cricket though, I could easily sit back and watch a 5 day test.

Another Richmond Premiership.

Now for the Penrith Panthers to win tonight to cap off a good weekend.