Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking 2017 ?

ben 10

Just went to Dan's this morning and saw they had Coopers kits in the clearance bin.......used by TOMORROW!!....gross!....and still wanted $12 for them

So bought myself a little taster 6 pack of:

1. Little Creatures Fire Falcon

2. Kaiju Krush Tropical Ale

3. Pirate Life Pale Ale

4. BrewDog Punk IPA

5. Tow Birds Sunset Ale

6. Moon Dog Old Mate Ale

Hopefully they go alright!

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This afternoon I sampled a bottle of the American Brown ale I brewed recently.

As a Brown Ale it is a failure ... thanks to the sub-par Joe White Chocolate malt it is not brown enough or roasty enough. It is however a very delicious American Amber ale! Next time I would go up to 250g Joe White chocolate malt for this batch size to get an American Brown.

Cheers' date='

John[/quote']

Over the past few days I have been sampling some more of these. I have to up my rating, it is not just a very delicious American Amber ale, it is an awesome American Amber ale! Just need to drop the crystal malt down a touch and it would be perfect. Hmmm, for a kits and bits recipe it has turned out really, really tasty ... excellent mouthfeel, malt flavour, head retention, bitterness and hop flavour / aroma.

Cheers,

John

I kegged THIS early yesterday on my birthday. Had a glass late last night. Very pleased. happy

Nice malt & hop complexity without being overpowering. Nice aroma(s) that work in well with the malt & boiled hop flavours. It's quite session-able despite being a little hop forward by the same token.

This Mike Mraz designed base recipe (that I have worked off) allows for a lot of experimentation around it to head it in various directions. One of the signs I look for when making multi hopped brews is to deliver something where even a trained nose & palate can't detect the hops used, but still really enjoys the overall flavours & aromas. To me that means you've melded that aspect very well.

I feel I could heighten the hop or malt character further very easily without much effort & have the beer be delicious either way. cool

Time for another. wink

Lusty.

Tapped my 2 usuals last night - CCM IPA and an ESB with Goldings and Cascade ( I know it's not an ESB if it's got American hops)!.

ESB is an EB can base with coopers Amber malt can, bit of crystal and choc with 5 minute boils of Goldings and Cascade.

Used an LLME can last time but think the amber is an improvement as the recipe is about 50 IBUs, so it balances it a bit more I think - delicious already!

The IPA (60ish IBUs), is a Lager can with LLME can, some Cararye, and about 30gm each of Chinook and Citra for a 10min boil and 20g of Citra and Mosaic for 5 mins.

Dry hopped 25gms each on day 5.

Thought it needed an extra hop hit last night so keg hopped 50gms of Citra.

Both beers are about 6.5% and bloody lovely already!

So much for me being hop fatigued!

Cheers

James

Just got back from the beach... you know what happens next! w00t

With this Amber Rye I aimed for more of an obvious amber colour as opposed to the stronger, darker red hues in my other amber ale recipe. I'm just rethinking my decision to use rye though. I heard it worked well in an amber so I thought I'd give it a go. It accounts for 15% of the grain bill in this one and I'm thinking that's really as high as I'd want to go with rye. It's a nice enough beer but I'm a little undecided about the rye influence. I also have an APA conditioning at the moment which also has 15% rye... that'll be interesting...

esf0w99.jpg

Mt. Hood, Cascade, Chinook, Nelson Sauvin Saison.

Saison-10-12-17.jpg

Fruity, spicy, wheaty, cloudy, banana, citrus peel, funky.

I might look into using some Belgian candy sugar for my next venture into brewing one of these. Will also up my dry hopping in particular as the yeast derived esters & flavours are very dominant & would take more weight of hops for them to emerge victorious. tongue

30°C, drinking Saison, what else do you want? unsure A nice change from my regular Pale Ales.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Mt. Hood' date=' Cascade, Chinook, Nelson Sauvin Saison.

[img']http://users.tpg.com.au/anthwatson/beerlust/Saison-10-12-17.jpg[/img]

Fruity, spicy, wheaty, cloudy, banana, citrus peel, funky.

Certainly looks the part. cool

I might look into using some Belgian candy sugar for my next venture into brewing one of these.
I'd considered this for my recent Belgians and current saison but after reading some stuff online suggesting the perceptible difference between candy sugar and table sugar was minute I decided not to bother with the time and/or expense. I just opted for the cheap n easy option. Call me lazy. sleeping

Will also up my dry hopping in particular as the yeast derived esters & flavours are very dominant & would take more weight of hops for them to emerge victorious. tongue

I was led to believe the whole point of a saison was to largely showcase the yeast character, based on a simple grain bill where the hops very much take a back seat. It seems though that being such an open style people are really exploiting that fact - and consequently now creating what I've seen referred to as "neo-saisons". Reviewing numerous recipes I can't help think though that many are essentially just brewing pale ales and simply swapping in a saison yeast. If you follow through with your intention to allow the "hops to emerge victorious" I wonder if the following would then become less applicable?
A nice change from my regular Pale Ales.
As it happens I did increase the hops in my latest saison' date=' essentially doubling the quantity of the FO addition I used last Summer. I'll be sampling the outcome of that decision in about 3 or 4 weeks. [img']cool[/img]

I'd considered this for my recent Belgians and current saison but after reading some stuff online suggesting the perceptible difference between candy sugar and table sugar was minute I decided not to bother with the time and/or expense. I just opted for the cheap n easy option. Call me lazy. sleeping

I would be looking to use an amber form that will leave residual flavours in the beer from the Maillard reactions that happened during it's creation. Much like using brown sugar. Like you' date=' the clear version would be a bit of a waste of time for me I reckon.

I was led to believe the whole point of a saison was to largely showcase the yeast character, based on a simple grain bill where the hops very much take a back seat.

Very true if following the style mantra. For my tastes, I just want to alter the malt bill, colour, & the aromatics (by dry hopping). The flavours of the yeast I really enjoy, but am not a huge fan of wheat beers so will likely reduce the wheat next time & maybe use something like Aromatic malt & some amber Belgian candy sugar to help with colour adjustment & some residual flavours.

It seems though that being such an open style people are really exploiting that fact - and consequently now creating what I've seen referred to as "neo-saisons". Reviewing numerous recipes I can't help think though that many are essentially just brewing pale ales and simply swapping in a saison yeast. If you follow through with your intention to allow the "hops to emerge victorious" I wonder if the following would then become less applicable?

It would be interesting to try the Belle Saison yeast on one of my Pale Ale recipes one day.

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

FO Pale

1kg LDME

1Kg Wheat DME

50g Galaxy @ FO (10L Boil, 2 Hr steep)

50g Galaxy dry

BRY -97

19L

Opaque in the glass. Firm bitterness. Passion fruit beer lovelove

I have made this recipe a number of times. It's good!

Next time round I was thinking of adding some passion fruit pulp/juice to the fermenter/keg.

This inspired me;

https://www.twobirdsbrewing.com.au/our-beers/#beer-seasonal-can

Cheers,

Dave

Recipe: Imperial Amber

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Red IPA

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.057 SG

Estimated Color: 32.0 EBC

Estimated IBU: 58.2 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 60.3 %

1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 2 17.2 %

1.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 17.2 %

0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 4 4.3 %

0.05 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 5 0.9 %

5.00 ml Mosaic BLUE Resin [62.60 %] (CO2 Extract Hop 6 32.4 IBUs

30.00 g Amarillo [8.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 7 7.4 IBUs

30.00 g Centennial [9.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2 Hop 8 8.3 IBUs

30.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 9 10.1 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YUM

For someone who says they prefer not using crystal malts very much' date=' you certainly like using that CaraAroma a lot! [img']tongue[/img] wink

Yep, caraaroma is the only one I use.

The majority of my beers do not have any.happyw00t

Tried my Riwaka Saison today.

Oh my effing God! What a cracking beer!!!! This has changed my life.

It’s a got a little funk but fruity, resinous, spicy and clean! I’m off to the LHBS tomorrow to order more grain for the next brew day.

I can’t contain my excitement over the possibilities in this “genre” of beers.

Oktoberfest last night. Tastes very similar to the Oktoberfests I sample this October but different. 'Cause it's home made obviously it is different better biggrin.

Made the Wedding March recipe off BeerSmith, recommend this if you want an excellent Oktoberfest.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Another Amazing Session Ale. These have become my go to brew or house favourite.

Golden Session Ale

3.00 kg Maris Otter

0.75 kg Munich Malt

0.30 kg CaraMalt

0.10 kg Acid Malt

15.00 g Magnum [10.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min

10.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)

30.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 7.0 min

20.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min

London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968)

30.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I've put one of the beer taps back together after its percarbonate soaking, although it seems that was rather pointless in the end since the insides were clean, but I've put the other beer tap in for a soak as well as it does have a small amount of crap in it. The third one I'll do after Xmas as it's only got soda water running through it at the moment.

I decided to pour a couple of glasses from the Bo Pils keg for taste testing purposes after refitting the tap. It needs a little more gas but otherwise it's tasting good and should go well for tomorrow. I'll try the ESB whenever I put its tap back together, which will probably be this arvo.

1514088518_02_349.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

I can’t contain my excitement over the possibilities in this “genre” of beers.

Wikked!

I decided to pour a couple of glasses from the Bo Pils

Wow.

Drinking my Pacific Ale ballsup. 50g Galaxy boiled for 30 minutes. Um, 68 IBU of big bitterness.

Decent beer actually.

Well, it's 5:36pm on warm, humid and sunny Christmas eve here in Kiwi land... time for a brew or two, or three.... or four.... innocent

Kicking off the evening with a glass of my dubbel - modelled on, though not a clone of a Leffe Dark, the only major difference being - mine is a tad better... biggrin

41AZDia.jpg

Have a hip 'n' groovy Christmas! cool

Well' date=' it's 5:36pm on warm, humid and sunny Christmas eve here in Kiwi land... time for a brew or two, or three.... or four.... [img']innocent[/img]

1511 here on a 32.5°c day.

Pacific Fail has been followed by an Imperial Amber.

Archived