RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking 2017 ?

ben 10

Ottos Red ale

NZ Golden Ale

Summer Ale

Saison

Hoppy Falcon

Brew A IPA

Nothing like a great homemade selection to make you feel happy' date=' and drunk. [img']biggrin[/img]

Tried my easy amber and it is delish. Trying my attempt at a really strong Stout. The brew day wen to shit. The beer is so bitter it could be paint stripper. Bittered with 100g of Columbus.

Should age quite well. Lovely and dank, roasty, warm alcohol, bitter....

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grabbed a couple of pix from Saturday's back deck session before we went out and had a night on the town. In this selection is my red ale fermented with the wrong yeast (1272) but still tasting nice albeit not as nice as it does with the proper 1469 yeast, the Ace of Spades porter which is going great after sitting in the keg since February, and a surprising hit with SWMBO, and lastly the Bo Pils which I'm having a glass of now as well. It's tasting its usual excellent self, with an improvement in the hop influence from a flameout addition of Saaz.

The red ale pic is blurred but meh. I won't be day drinking at home for another two weeks and I'm not waiting that long to get a better photo lol

Now I just have to wait for the bloody upload button to appear....

1497922061_67_401.JPG

1497922079_63_130.JPG

1497922098_59_795.JPG

Cheers

Kelsey

Tapped the kegs last night.

One Real Ale with cararye, Citra, cascade and mosaic.

Taste/smelling tropical fruit and citrus deliciousness as usual.

The Americanish stout I think I went overboard on the hops - 20g each of Mosaic and Cascade for a 10 minute boil.

This is twice the amount as last time, where the was just a hint of citrus - chocolate orange about it.

But this time the hops are too strong I think, hopefully this will mellow over time.

Maybe the hop pendulum is swinging back to normal for me, who knows?

Cheers

James

Probably just not accustomed to that sort of hop influence in a stout, which is understandable really. Fruity and citrus aren't normally associated with stouts. I love hoppy ales too, but I love stouts to be big, malty and roasty, with the hops playing a secondary role as a balance against the sweetness and nothing more.

You probably will find the hop influence will fade over time if the beer is left to age for long enough though. I normally try to brew my dark beers around November/December/January so they spend a good 4-6 months in the keg before being tapped.

I think I need to get a few more kegs in rotation, my beers never last more than a month at most!

Think I will defo dial the hops back on the stout next time.

I do like a little hint of something different, but this time it was too much.

Maybe I was going too mad on the hops, over eager to hop everything up.

So different to how I used to like beer, 2 years ago that's for sure!

Nice pictures of the beers by the way , they look delish mate!

Cheers

James

Yeah it's all about finding that flavour you enjoy for sure.

I have 6 kegs in rotation with a 7th I use for soda water and an 8th which is a 10L keg that gets the surplus. Normally I throw three on tap at once, and during the time they and the 10L surplus keg get emptied, I brew and keg the next three. Once it gets into a routine it works well but it can take time to build up three full kegs when the stocks have been depleted.

Thanks too mate, they sure are nice brews! I'm interested to see what the 10L blend of red ale and the home malted barley ale currently in the FV tastes like when it's on tap too.

Cheers

Kelsey

Well im currently drinking a Porter made with a coopers ruby porter can and a briess porter extract and a some ldm. Not sure if qty of ldm but probably 500g to 1kg. 3 months ago i would have been happy with this. Would rank as my best kit beer. But oh so not as good as the AG brews ive done. Perfectly drinkable bit the AG stout i have on the other tap is 100% better.

Last night and tonight I'm drinking several glasses of my best beer ever. This one is consistently the best, every one pulled from the tapis as good as the first. It is such a pity that my best beer ever was an accident alien

Last three weeks have been AFD during the week, however I preparing for a , month of 6 AFDs a week starting July1.

Cheers & Great Beers

Scottie

The Accidental Brewer

BTW I have shelved the idea of a side by side tasting as it is nothing like a PL Pale Ale. The four cans of that in the fridge will have to wait. I'm not even sure I want to try and clone that one again, this one though is set to become my first regular brew; after almost six years of brewing.

Cheers

It's always the way when you make an excellent brew like that and it's an unintentional one that you can't repeat even if you try lol

I'm currently having a pint of my red ale, which is tasting good but not as nice as with 1469 yeast. I won't be making that mistake again although it was an interesting unintentional experiment all the same. Just shows the sometimes massive difference in flavor that the different strains produce. It's a totally different beer.

Scottie I did a side by side with my mosaic and cascade pale ale versus PLPA. Even got my wife to take a sip of each. The commercial can wasn't the freshest batch: looked to be from Feb. Where my brew was optimum drinking at 4 weeks.

Nevertheless I certainly preferred the homebrew version for its hoppy mosaic fruit punch that pirate life did not present. I'll definitely be brewing mine again. House pale. Big thanks to Xenon who posted the original recipe. What was yours? Shall we compare?

Amount Name Type #

4.70 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 1

700.0 g Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 2

300.0 g Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 3

150.0 g Acid Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 4

15.0 g Magnum [12.1%] - Boil 60 min Hops 5

20.0 g Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 15 min Hops 6

20.0 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.0%] - Boil 15 min Hops 7

1.22 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min) Misc 8

20.0 g Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 0 min Hops 9

15.0 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 10

36.0 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.0%] - Dry Hop 0 days Hops 11

24.0 g Cascade [5.5%] - Dry Hop 0 days

It's always the way when you make an excellent brew like that and it's an unintentional one that you can't repeat even if you try lol

Oh Kelsey

Now you have me doubting myself' date=' I [u']was[/u] confident that I could repeat this one.

I should explain accidental in the context of this brew. I brewed a PL Pale clone that was a dead ringer for the original. In the side by side blind tasting I set was described perfectly the same, in the second set the PL presented with slightly more aroma. The other difference in the original recipe and mine was that I used Munich. Then I saw other posts on my thread referring to Hoppy Mosaic Ales as clones for the PL, I started to doubt my taste buds even given the fact that I did two separate side by side blind tastings.

In the Accidental I increased the Mosaic late in the boil, adjusted the Cascade and subbed the Munich out for Caramalt and Crystal Malt, the colour was also different with my Clone being lighter. Bitterness and OG were the same yet I accidently ended up with an FG 3 points higher. The result is a difference that is almost night and day. This has been a big lesson for me, now realising the possibilities that exist with essentially the same ingredients but different techniques.

Surely I can duplicate this, unless of course I have made an undocumented mistake in which case I will be forever devastated.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Big thanks to Xenon who posted the original recipe. What was yours? Shall we compare?

Amount Name Type #

4.70 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 1

700.0 g Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 2

300.0 g Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 3

150.0 g Acid Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 4

15.0 g Magnum [12.1%] - Boil 60 min Hops 5

20.0 g Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 15 min Hops 6

20.0 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.0%] - Boil 15 min Hops 7

1.22 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min) Misc 8

20.0 g Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 0 min Hops 9

15.0 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 10

36.0 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.0%] - Dry Hop 0 days Hops 11

24.0 g Cascade [5.5%] - Dry Hop 0 days

Accidental Mosaic

American Pale Ale

20 litres, singe infusion, mash temp 66 degrees, batch sparge

4.30 kg Pale Malt (Gladfields American Ale Malt)

0.30 kg CaraMalt

0.20 kg Medium Crystal Malt

0.10 kg Acid Malt

10.00 g Magnum - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Cascade - Boil 20.0 min

15.00 g Mosaic - Boil 20.0 min

10.00 g Cascade - Boil 8.0 min

10.00 g Mosaic - Boil 5.0 min

20.00 g Mosaic - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min

10.00 g Cascade - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min

US05 pitched at 16 degrees fermented at 19 degrees

20.00 g Mosaic - Dry Hop on day 15 for 14 days (9 days at 2 degrees)

10.00 g Cascade - Dry Hop on day 15 for 14 days (9 days at 2 degrees)

OG 1.050

FG 1.013

IBU 49.7

I forget the whirlfloc again.

Ah, well now that you've explained the context I'll change my viewpoint, you should be able to replicate that brew again Scottie. I thought you'd done something by mistake that you couldn't remember and that's what resulted in an excellent beer (I have read of this happening). cool

Ah' date=' well now that you've explained the context I'll change my viewpoint, you should be able to replicate that brew again Scottie. I thought you'd done something by mistake that you couldn't remember and that's what resulted in an excellent beer (I have read of this happening). [img']cool[/img]

Time will tell Kelsey

I guess my biggest mistake is that I really don't know what I'm doing when I design a recipe myself. Initially, check out the Friday Night Six Pack thread, the PL Pale Ale didn't resonate with me. However I quickly became fond of that fruity bitterness.

What I have done with my Accidental Mosaic is pushed the balance towards the malt but somehow managed to showcase the Hops. In my uneducated view the PL has the balance towards the bittering hop and therefore the late addition hops are more subdued.

I hadn't seen Xenon's recipe when I did mine, I just went by the can and put in the amounts that I thought would fit. Then I realised I didn't have the spec malts and in my ignorance thought Munich would be a good substitute.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

It sounds like it turned out well though which is the main thing. I'd probably agree with you on the PL Pale ale too, I had a glass of it earlier this year and to be honest I wasn't really blown away by it. I've probably brewed nicer ones at home.

My red ale is a bit of an accidental brew too. Or was. When I initially designed the recipe a few years ago, it wasn't with the intention of the beer turning out in the way that it now does. Essentially, it was designed to taste like a pale ale but look red. That all changed when I tasted the Caraaroma influence (and I'm not even sure why I bought it at all, but love it now), and it became even better when I switched from US-05 to 1469 yeast. The good thing is though that I can easily replicate it and I brew it quite often. happy

Cheers

Kelsey

Had an amber after that, lovely drop, all malt, slight bitterness, no hop flavour. Yum.

Now is possibly the best IPA I have made.

It started out being a variation of Smurto's Golden Ale and ended up with more male and more hops.

Recipe: Golden IPA

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Estimated OG: 1.056 SG

Estimated Color: 11.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 49.4 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale

1.00 kg Munich II

0.50 kg Rye Malt

10.00 g Fortnight First Wort 60

50.00 g Amarillo Steep

50.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [6.50 %] - Steep

30.00 g Fortnight [13.90 %] - Steep

50.00 g Amarillo [8.40 %] - Dry Hop

------

Beautiful dank bitterness. Some earthiness then a lovely orange flavour. So frikkin well balanced.

It started out being a variation of Smurto's Golden Ale and ended up with more male

Interesting.... not that there's anything wrong with that tongue

I'm looking forward to sampling a Pacific Ale Clone I brewed a few weeks ago...... just need 5 O'Clock to roll around so I can get out of work

Currently enjoying a few glasses of my Fortnight/Mandarina Bavaria/El Dorado hopped pale ale.

Flavour-wise, the tangerine of the Mandarina Bavaria is definitely there but is not overpowering. The El Dorado adds a nice stonefruit/steely/piney tone to the mix. On the nose I get a light but noticeable citrusy marmalade type aroma from these two hops combined. Overall the flavours are not unlike Cascade to me, but do have some slightly different nuances.

I can see how the Mandarina Bavaria hop would work well late hopped in a wheat beer. Other hops will give you more bang for your buck in this area for a Pale Ale/IPA type brew.

Anyways, time for another pour. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

I have just sampled my Gladfield American Ale/ Citra SMaSH. It has only been 12 days in the bottle and, in the words of Scottie, i think this is my best brew ever! Haha! But seriously, going from kits, to extract then to all grain. You sure can tell the difference in taste. If this SMaSH is this good, i cant wait to start using more complex grain and hop bills! Let the good times roll!

Cheers

Rowbrew I'm interested in how you find mixing the Gladfield American Ale malt with other malts. I bought a sack of it and have done a few brews with it now.

It's a great malt, but not particularly "malty". The wise dudes at the local brew store said they mix it with other pale malts, Munich or Vienna to get that malty backbone there. Even for a hoppy American Pale Ale, you need some malt to balance out the hops (but still let the hops shine). I agree after having done a few brews with different malt bills - the best was the one with Munich in there (700g from memory).

I totally agree with the pop of flavour I have achieved since brewing from scratch. Welcome aboard!

Hey jools,

Sorry, but i cant give any feedback on mixing the Gladdy American ale malt with other malts, as this was my first ever all grain batch. I think i will do a couple more SMaSH brews to get myself comfortable with the process, then move on to other recipes

The American ale malt is probably not designed to be overly malty on its own, given the hoppy styles it would be used most in.

I've used Maris Otter exclusively for the last few years in all styles of ale. It works really well in APAs actually, combined with 10% Munich II and 5% or so crystal (medium). Nicely balanced with the hops taking more centre stage but still with that malty backbone behind them.

I just sourced 4 x 20L buckets with lids locally. They are food grade and were used to store mayonnaise, hollandaise, etc for cafes/pubs/restaurants. Great for $4.50 per bucket instead of paint $13 per bucket at Bunnings. One sack fits perfectly into 2 x 20L buckets.

Which means I can buy a couple more sacks of grain. Definitely a Gladfield Pilsner sack. Probably Marris Otter too in time. Will be trying this as I am keen to try it in a SMaSH and also to see what it adds to the hoppy APAs I can't get away from!

I bought 3.6kg of Pilsner malt the other day and it cost me just over $20. Should've just bought a sack and paid $2.76 per kilo!

Archived