Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking 2017 ?

ben 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taiheke Gold - partial mash.

A British golden ale style-wise but made with a Coopers OS lager can and NZ ingredients: Gladfield ale malt, toffee malt and aurora malt, and of course Taiheke (NZ cascade) hops. It's the 2nd of a series of golden ales I intend to brew using the same malt base, but showcasing a different 'feature' hop. The first was Nelson Gold, and the next ones will be Kohatu Gold and Motueka Gold:

This one though is definitely a keeper!

auEM7Qq.jpg

I went out of sequence/schedule last week and threw the keg of Bo Pils into the kegerator and carbed it up, so I could have at least one beer on tap for my birthday weekend. I'll leave it alone now though until the next two kegs are filled and on tap, so at least it will get some lagering time before I have another glass.

It is rather cloudy with haze though, most likely a result of not using any Brewbrite on brew day as I'd forgotten to take it from the olds fridge in time pinched. It does still taste pretty good, but the haze detracts from it a bit. It doesn't seem as crisp as it usually is. I have the Brewbrite here now as well as isinglass, so the next batch of it should be back to normal.

Cheers

Kelsey

Mmmmm! That looks and sounds like a nice drop Blacksands. Have you used wakatu hops and if so what did you think flavour and aroma wise?

I have used Wakatu a couple of times - mostly because they're very cheap where I am... last time I bought 100g it was $4.50. Generally I found them to be rather understated though - certainly compared to the likes of nelson! But as they were also mixed with other hops I can't be totally sure of their flavour and aroma contribution. Perhaps I need to brew a Wakatu Gold also! w00t

That is a great price I think the 100g I picked up here in Wodonga was either 6 or 7.65. I wanted to make an all NZ pale ale or something but I thought Azacca hops were from NZ...my googlefu was a little offwhistling. I might just try the NZ hops alone and see how they go maybe 25g at 5min boil snd then another 5 at flameout and 50g dry hopped..yeah that shouldn't be bad or do you think it is better to add another hop to compliment it?

That is a great price I think the 100g I picked up here in Wodonga was either 6 or 7.65. I wanted to make an all NZ pale ale or something but I thought Azacca hops were from NZ...my googlefu was a little offwhistling. I might just try the NZ hops alone and see how they go maybe 25g at 5min boil snd then another 5 at flameout and 50g dry hopped..yeah that shouldn't be bad or do you think it is better to add another hop to compliment it?

I think most hops work well' date=' and in fact often better when paired up. However for the purposes of my own education I've just started doing these 'feature hop' golden ales so that I can get more familiar with the individual hops themselves. So far the difference between nelson and taiheke is striking as one might expect. Apart from bittering considerations, for these ales I've just been adding a 25g FO addition (at sub-80ºC). This steep while my wort cools which typically takes 45mins. And then near the end of fermentaion I throw in a 25g dry-hop for a few days.

I did make an NZ Pale Ale a while back following a similar approach showcasing nelson - 25g @5min, 25g FO steep and 25g dry-hop. Nelson is a pretty potent hop so 75g resulted in a real 'in-yer-face' beer! I liked it but I know many who would not be not so keen on that much nelson on it's own. [img']w00t[/img]

Have you posted your golden ale recipe?
I think it's in the "What's in your fermenter thread" but basically...it's a partial mash brew made up of the following:

1.50 kg Gladfield American Ale Malt

0.20 kg Gladfield Aurora Malt

0.30 kg Gladfield Toffee Malt

1.70 kg Coopers (OS) Lager

100g sugar

10g Waimea - Boil 15.0 min

then...

25g 'feature hop' flame-out (sub 80ºC steep)

25g 'feature hop' - Dry Hop 3 Days

Nottingham Yeast

(ABV=4.5%)

Pacific Ale...

...Cloudy' date=' 50% wheat, 50% pale. Flameout galaxy and dry hop. Melbourne Ale yeast.

Nice bitterness, typical Galaxy flavour, passionfruit on the nose and a touch of orange. Yum.[/quote']

Looks & sounds just like it should Ben. Congrats! smile

Any thoughts on the Melbourne Ale yeast?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yes.

I like it.

I brewed a Tooth's Pale with a fair amount of sugar and it is very nice. No cidery flavours at all.

The yeast attenuates very well, and having used it in the Pacific Ale and an IPA it does not appear to strip any hop flavour at all.

Most beers brewed with it have dropped below 1010 which is something I like.

Day off work today. happy

SixHopPaleAle.jpg

Six Hop Pale Ale. Nice balance between malt & hops.

Yes.

I like it.

I brewed a Tooth's Pale with a fair amount of sugar and it is very nice. No cidery flavours at all.

The yeast attenuates very well' date=' and having used it in the Pacific Ale and an IPA it does not appear to strip any hop flavour at all.

Most beers brewed with it have dropped below 1010 which is something I like.[/quote']

Thanks mate. cool

Lusty.

Today it's Back to Basics with my Best Best Bitter....

All those "B's" reminded me of a scene from the the movie "Look Who's Talking"... Linky lol

Glad you find my alluring' date=' [b']a[/b]ttention attracting alliteration agreeable sideways

Nice looking EB btw.
Tastes pretty good too!

Really nice, zesty beer. The Nelson sets off the other hops really nicely.

Recipe: Aussie IPA

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.066 SG

Estimated Color: 9.3 EBC

Estimated IBU: 64.1 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

5.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 80.0 %

1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 16.0 %

0.25 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 3 4.0 %

25.00 g Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 4 20.5 IBUs

50.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 5 7.5 IBUs

50.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 6 20.4 IBUs

50.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 7 15.7 IBUs

40.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

1 Vial WLP059 Melbourne Ale

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drinking my first ever brew - A basic Lager!

Nothing to write home about, but still prefer it to a XXXX and I think the fact that I brewed it myself makes it more enjoyable.

This is it 4 weeks in a bottle. Pretty chuffed with my efforts. Cant wait to try my Amber Ale

1507775256_13_29.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I can't think of a better way to offset any possible positive benefits of the 7km run I just completed than by knocking back a delicious glass or two of my recently brewed amber ale. Made with NZ Gladfield malts, a Coopers can and taiheke hops:

YXtBiWz.jpg

I have a couple of beers on the pour atm. I did a solid Rakau hopped pale ale & like most reviews of this hop, I'm a little disappointed in it. The beer itself is fine & drinks well, but the Rakau is a bit low in bitterness. The descriptors for the hop are there, but they are definitely on the light side.

If you're into making pleasant beers, add this one to your list. If you like making beers with some balls, perhaps look elsewhere.

The second & most recently kegged beer using some El Dorado, Centennial, & Mosaic hops is a much more enjoyable beer. happy

Again during this year I've done my share of experimenting with quite a number of newly released hop varieties. Now that the warmer weather has arrived, it's time to stop experimenting as much, & start pumping out beers I know I will thoroughly enjoy. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

I have a couple of beers on the pour atm. I did a solid Rakau hopped pale ale & like most reviews of this hop' date=' I'm a little disappointed in it. The beer itself is fine & drinks well, but the Rakau is a bit "limp wristed" (for a better term). The descriptors for the hop are there, but they are definitely on the light side.[/quote']

I've reading the same thing. I just brewed an APA myself and paired the rakau I had on hand up with some kohatu. Kohatu too is quite delicately flavoured, but at the same time extremely delicious IMO. I hope the combination works well enough. I was going to do a single-hop golden, as has been my habit of late, steadily working through individual NZ hops, but I'm thinking now I might not bother with rakau, based on the recurring feedback that's out there. pouty

Archived