Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking 2017 ?

ben 10

Those beers look great Blacksands!
Cheers! Decided to crack open another amber/red this evening. This is about the 5th or 6th one I've brewed and I think I've finally got it where I want it. I think the colour in particular is looking pretty good now - lot's of deep rich red hues when held up to the light. cool

QDexqTs.jpg

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lovely clarity' date=' & the hues are very nice from the pics on those last two brews. [img']http://users.tpg.com.au/anthwatson/beerlust/Pics/Emoticons/clap_emoticon.gif[/img]

Congrats on that front BlackSands. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size]

Thanks. The colour in the amber/red ale comes courtesy of the combination of Gladfield's malts used - shepherds delight, redback and roasted barley. cool

Got my regular red ale and a Centennial/Cascade pale ale on tap now, so I'm giving the pilsner tap a rest for a while. It's sitting at the back of the kegerator and I want it emptied last otherwise it's a PITA with other kegs in the way.

Anyway, I grabbed this pic of the red ale yesterday. Not the greatest photo, I really need to find a decent spot for taking pics of beers in this house, haven't found one yet! It's tasting great as usual though. I'll grab a pic of the pale ale next time I have one in the daylight hours.

1509931895_27_736.JPG

Cheers

Kelsey

I had a very small sample of my first ever try at an all grain IPA. It was kegged on Monday and I am on annual leave form tomorrow so I thought I would have a sneak peak last night and first impressions were very very nice.

I’ll have a couple of beers while watching the A-League tonight. Very keen to get home now!!

Youngie

"Belgie Blond"

Not quite 3 weeks in the bottle yet but it's Friday so...

I reckon this yeast, Fermentis Abbaye B-256 gave up trying. This one failed to attenuate anywhere near where it should have. I was therefore somewhat apprehensive about priming, and went for a fairly conservative 2.5vols. It's ended up being well under-carb'd certainly for the style - almost as if the yeast really has gone to sleep. unsure It took a fairly vigorous pour to get this 'photo-ready' head formed:

GR9mjys.jpg

Otherwise, I think it pretty much ticks all the boxes style-wise, though I reckon it needs more time...

cool

I can't think of a better way to offset any possible positive benefits of the 7km run I just completed than by knocking back a delicious glass or two of my recently brewed amber ale. Made with NZ Gladfield malts' date=' a Coopers can and taiheke hops:

[img']https://i.imgur.com/YXtBiWz.jpg[/img]

That colour!!!

Looks great BlackSands!!

Youngie

Another Session IPA, this one is called Ligero.

Bittered with Magnum of course, it has a healthy doseof Simcoe at 15 minutes and a decent burst of Mosaic late supplemented with more Simcoe, Crystal and Cascade.

This 3.5% beauty finished at 1.014 and has a BeerSmith bitterness of 66 IBU.

Bitter passionfruit with tropical splashes love

My Blood Type is IPA.

Magnum IPA, by putting those two words (well, one word and an acronym) you will have earned the wrath of Lusty. Beware devil

I have been drinking an American Amber Ale hopped with Simcoe. A pretty easy drinking beer but a little one dimensional with only the single hop.

Magnum IPA' date=' by putting those two words (well, one word and an acronym) you will have earned the wrath of Lusty. Beware [img']devil[/img]
Bittered with Magnum of course' date=' it has a healthy dose of Simcoe at 15 minutes and a decent burst of Mosaic late supplemented with more Simcoe, Crystal and Cascade...

...Bitter passionfruit with tropical splashes [img']love[/img]

So Scottie whoops "Magnum IPA" bitters it with a smooth bittering hop, but then pounds it with mid to late hops to make it bitter again? WTF?? pinched

Judging by his change of avatar pic he is obviously in the process of transforming from the WASP lead singer he once was, to an out & out hop head. Maybe he'll eventually ditch the Magnum hop altogether as part of that transformation. unsuretongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

Drinking a hoppy saison.

Bridge Rd. have an India Saison which is brewed with White Labs Belgian Saison II yeast. That is the reason I bought it.

Stunning yeast, attenuates well and has some fruitiness to complement the late hops.

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Estimated OG: 1.062 SG

Estimated Color: 8.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 33.5 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 66.7 %

2.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 33.3 %

10.00 g Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - First Wort Hop 3 9.3 IBUs

50.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 4 16.2 IBUs

30.00 g Centennial [9.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2 Hop 5 8.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Belgian Saison II Yeast (White Labs #WLP Yeast 6 -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cascade and Centennial pale ale I also have on tap currently, photo taken on Saturday arvo. Funny that both the ales on tap were hopped with the same two hops, albeit different schedules. This one is tasting quite nice as usual; the higher FG is a nice change too, not too thin this time and has a good malt presence.

1510601146_28_286.JPG

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey Blacksands, that Kohatu Supernova looks delicious! I was just wondering how you rate Rakau? Ive got 100g in the freezer and im not quite sure what to use them in. Ive also got 100g of Kohatu, after reading about them in one of your posts. Ill moat likely use them in a hoppy pale or golden ale

Cheers mate

Hey Blacksands' date=' that Kohatu Supernova looks delicious! I was just wondering how you rate Rakau? Ive got 100g in the freezer and im not quite sure what to use them in. Ive also got 100g of Kohatu, after reading about them in one of your posts. Ill moat likely use them in a hoppy pale or golden ale[/quote']Yeah... it's a nice beer. I like kohatu... I used it for the first time in both a recent golden ale and of course this pale ale. It presents kind of mellow, and 'rounded' but I do like it's flavour/aroma. I think I will probably use more next time though... it's one where I reckon you need to be quite generous with your dosage to get the best out of it. I don't really have a good feel for rakau however - it's seems somewhat understated and well... dunno, kind of unremarkable? unsure I'd need to experience it on it's own to really know what it has to offer. I do have a best bitter that'll be ready for sampling in couple of weeks where I threw in 25g rakau that I had left over as a last minute dry hop, but there's also another late hope addition (sticklebract) in that one so I still won't have the opportunity to fully get what rakau is all about.

There's one serious problem with this bitter... it's so dam tasty I'm just want more and more! w00t

I've brewed a few best bitters but this one, though still a bit young seems to be really well balanced and has turned out really nice. Built on 2kg - Gladfield ale malt, biscuit and med. crystal and a Coopers lager tin. Hops were mostly sticklebract and rakau (dry). cool

Co9HUoG.jpg

I am drinking an ale made with 25g of azacca and wakatu hops added for a 30 min steep and same amount dry hopped. I used my ole favorite, cerveza can and BE3, local homebrew shop mix, and M42 yeast. 10 days in the bottle and it tastes as expected with a hint of lime and citrus. I cannot tell if it is the yeast or the HBS BE3 but it is a little maltier than usual, in a good way. The hops shine through and provide the lime hint I was going for but they do not seem as aggressive as citra and galaxy combo, I guess that should be expected when comparing mycrene levels. Good lawnmower drop. If I did it again I would combo Azacca with Galaxy or Citra or Centennial or something along those lines. Wakatu provided a good lime aroma. I pick up subdued pineapple like aroma from azacca but the lime or wakatu is a stronger aroma to me at this point.

Cheers,

Norris

This afternoon I sampled a bottle of the American Brown ale I brewed recently.

As a Brown Ale it is a failure ... thanks to the sub-par Joe White Chocolate malt it is not brown enough or roasty enough. It is however a very delicious American Amber ale! Next time I would go up to 250g Joe White chocolate malt for this batch size to get an American Brown.

Cheers,

John

Yeah' date=' I know the label is a bit basic and crap... won't be labelling them again with those labels, as they're a bugger to get back off...[/quote']

Print your labels on plain paper. Then glue onto the bottle by brushing or spraying with milk. Yup... milk. Works well as a paper glue and the labels are very easily removed in water. cool

Yeah' date=' I know the label is a bit basic and crap... won't be labelling them again with those labels, as they're a bugger to get back off...[/quote']

Print your labels on plain paper. Then glue onto the bottle by brushing or spraying with milk. Yup... milk. Works well as a paper glue and the labels are very easily removed in water. cool

Thanks

Will do that for my next batch

Cheers :D

First tasting of my first ever dubbel. Brewed this one to be quite dark... along the lines of a Leffe Brune. Enjoying this one a lot more that the Belgian Blonde I brewed previously, again using Fermentis BE-256 Abbaye yeast. It's actually quite nice beer... for a Belgian biggrin

UfqUvCX.jpg

Archived