Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking 2017 ?

ben 10

Have enjoyed a few glasses of some lesser hopped brews recently (mainly commercial), in an effort to leave my current kegged Pale Ale alone to age a little further knowing it will improve.

My problem for quite sometime has been that I love drinking fresh, lively hopped beers. So much so, that in many respects, the beer I keg & begin drinking (as a whole), is technically still very "green". There are pro's & con's to this approach.

It's interesting when you only drink one style of beer for a decent period & then switch to a very different style & flavour etc. how your palate almost goes into a form of shock at what it is tasting when switching between the variants. lol

Poured a couple of my current Fortnight/Mandarina Bavaria/El Dorado Pale Ales from the keg tonight, & given the palate switch back to a more hoppier beer + a little more aging time, I'd say this beer is continuing to taste better & better.

The latest batch of my Mosaic Amber Ale recipe will go into a keg this coming Sunday, & that might give me some hope of leaving the remainder of this current brew alone long enough to age a little further & meld the malt & hop flavours to an even more enjoyable level.

Some badass IPA/DIPA that might rival a Ben 10 brew is next on the cards. Something between 7 & 8% ABV will be the aim, so that gives a lot of 'wriggle room' for an interesting malt bill if I feel like getting creative.

Good times ahead. joyful

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2011 Homebrewed ESVA. Mine used Nelson Sauvin, no presence, and 250g of Dark Crystal (270 EBC).

It's smoother and has caramel notes, taste and aroma. Still bitter, not a tipper though so I'm pretty happy with something that's been in the bottle for 5 1/2 years. Not going to win a gold medal though.

I'm drinking it this time, but it is my first beer this week and my head is spinning just a bit.

IMG_00121_zpsxryxxeli.jpg

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

An American brown. It's taken a month or so, but this one has really come into its own now. The feature specialty malts are Gladfield brown and supernova, with some roasted barley for colour. Used taiheke hops in this one. cool

• 2 weeks later...

Amber heaven. joyful

Looks lovely.

I am drinking the first taste of a Blonde Ale I made.

Lovely, light and easy drinking.

No hops boiled. A steep of Amarillo, Cascade, Hull Melon, EKG and Fortnight for 20 minutes, then the same with the temp at 85°c.

Pale malt with 22% Munich II for a light malty background.

Smoked Porter now.

I smoked 1 kg of pale malt with hickory. The malt was very smelly and I left it for about two weeks until I had a brew day.

Really nice mellow smokey flavour. I like it a lot and will have to try home smoked malt more.

1500552507_64_569.jpg

Here's what i'm drinking at the moment. On the left is my Oatmeal stout , a nice sessionable example of the style at a quaffable 4.7% ABV , whilst on the right is my first crack at an NEIPA , brewed with Mosaic , Azacca and Citra and weighing in at a more respectable 6.5%.

The stout is pretty good , but the IPA is a real standout. It's such a juice bomb , with citrus flavours for days , and the bitterness is just about perfect at around 60 IBU's. (probablybiggrin)

Loving this homebrewing lark right now love

..... the IPA is a real standout. It's such a juice bomb ' date=' with citrus flavours for days , and the bitterness is just about perfect at around 60 IBU's. (probably[img']biggrin[/img])

Loving this homebrewing lark right now love

1500711105_98_131.JPG

My in-laws are coming for a visit this week - arriving Wednesday (free bottling labour for my Centennial pils woohoo!). So in order to make sure they have plenty to drink, I have been chilling down a couple of Tap-a-draft bottles in the fridge over the weekend, and tonight I tapped them. One is my TC 86 Days pils with Summer hops and the other is my Centennial Imperial Amber. I made the mistake of sampling the Imperial Amber first, and my goodness it is fantastic. Absolutely saturated with deliciously intense Centennial flavour and aroma, balanced really nicely with the body from the alcohol and malt. Unfortunately I couldn't really taste the Summer pils at all after that. I suspect that over the next week or so it will be my brother-in-law and I enjoying the Imperial Amber and my parents-in-law enjoying the Summer pils.

Just polished off a few Citra SMaSHs, a Summer ale and a Saison. Just sitting down for dinner and then later i will try my Toucan Stout. Its only 2 weeks in the bottle so im not expecting much. Will report back later

Enjoying a few glasses of a recent IPA brew I kegged.

I liked the old Coopers IPA kit, & can now say I also like the revised IPA kit as well. smile

I have no quarms about using a reasonable amount of dextrose with full flavoured kits like these as there is so much forward malt presence, the thinning & drying nature of simple sugars isn't noticeable in any negative way at all.

I threw a good whack of hops on top of the kit (mainly for aromatics) that have complimented it well. About 6.3% ABV, flavoursome, bitter, nice aromatics, beautiful head formation, glass lacing, & not a hint of alcohol on those nose. cool

Most enjoyable. joyful

Good stuff Coopers. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Trying to empty this porter keg before Friday, I've had 3 schooners today since about 1.30pm (I finished work at 9am), just nearing the end of the 3rd and last one of the day.

I can already see this is gonna be one of those times when you really want the keg emptied but it just seems bottomless lol

I can already see this is gonna be one of those times when you really want the keg emptied but it just seems bottomless lol

Haha! I'm hearin' ya! lol

It doesn't happen that often to me' date=' but yes it has happened. [img']innocent[/img]

Glug...glug... tongue

P.S. It's why I don't keg "darks". wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

It doesn't happen often to me either, usually I want them to last longer than they do. I just would prefer it emptied in time for the moving on Saturday. If it's not then it will just be removed and I'll use the mini keg to clean the line and tap, but yeah it'd be easier if it was. I've upped my consumption to 2 beers a night to try to empty it, other than today's three. lol

Autumn Session IPA

Nice malt background Maris otter finishing at 1.013 SG. Nice skunk from Cascade and Simcoe and a lovely bitter hit of 42 IBU from the Magnum Chinook combo.

1501933114_9_537.JPG

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

This one is 127 weeks in the bottle and started life out as an American Amber Ale in March 2015, my second use of the new hop Mosaic. Its now drinking as an English Best Bitter have lost all the hop aroma from the Mosaic. This is another bottled brew that I used Nottingham in and right on queue it foamed up as soon as I popped the top. Malty and drinking OK, not a great brew but OK for 2 years plus.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Archived