Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking 2017 ?

ben 10

This one is 127 weeks in the bottle and started life out as an American Amber Ale in March 2015' date='...[/quote']

For God's sake Scottie, just drink 'em!

I'm not surprised it foamed up because the priming rate is likely based on drinking it at an earlier timeframe than 2½ years! tongue

Currently enjoying a Coopers IPA kit based brew that I added Riwaka, Vic Secret, Mandarina Bavaria, & Fortnight hops, in conjunction with pours of my Mosaic Amber Ale. I feel spoilt. wink

...Well not for that long, I deserve it, FTW! biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a>

Trying to post a picture of my Citra cascade IPA, from photobucket, but not sure it's working..?

Used the Coopers Real ale can as the base

Probably my best yet.

Bit darker than I would like but next batch is using the Lager can with Chinook for bittering.

Cheers

James

[html][/html]

Coopers English Bitter with BE2 and Fuggles.

For three nights now, a nice brew and surprising Malt flavours given the lack of added Malt. Find the BE2 to be a big improvement on the BE1, if my recollection serves me well the Maltodextrin is less noticeable - almost a negligible influence here.

Keen to try BE3 with the IPA kit, should allow me to lager my Oktoberfest for longer and probably even put down another Lager.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

...a nice brew and surprising Malt flavours given the lack of added Malt. Find the BE2 to be a big improvement on the BE1' date=' if my recollection serves me well the Maltodextrin is less noticeable - almost a negligible influence here.[/quote']

I found the bulk of the Brew Enhancers threw less noticeable to non-existent traits when used in conjunction with the richer malted kits, & generally made a nicer tasting beer overall than when used with the lighter malted kits (i.e. a thinning of flavour with dextrose, a slight sweetness from Maltodextrin).

I remember making an IPA with the kit + BE2 many moons ago, & it turned out terrific!

Cheers,

Lusty.

...a nice brew and surprising Malt flavours given the lack of added Malt. Find the BE2 to be a big improvement on the BE1' date=' if my recollection serves me well the Maltodextrin is less noticeable - almost a negligible influence here.[/quote']

I found the bulk of the Brew Enhancers threw less noticeable to non-existent traits when used in conjunction with the richer malted kits, & generally made a nicer tasting beer overall than when used with the lighter malted kits (i.e. a thinning of flavour with dextrose, a slight sweetness from Maltodextrin).

I remember making an IPA with the kit + BE2 many moons ago, & it turned out terrific!

Cheers,

Lusty.

Well Lusty

I have to concur with your wisdom. I wasn't sure of an explaination behind it, however my only other uses, 3 of them, of Beer Enhancers were with OS Lager, Pale Ale, and the Blonde kits.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Here we go again Lusty

Saison, 193 weeks bottled - December 1 2013 after 2 weeks in the FV. This is a partial and I've got about 10 640ml bottles still in storage.

I Just drank one bottle and its a big beer for me at 6.3% ABV. So I liked it definitely something different, a lot different for me. It is tart for sure and peppery but I can't help but think bubble gum even though I didn't use a Belgian Saison yeast on this one.

I do like having a few aged beers and whereas most of my ales that are bottle aged end up tasting similar I can say that this one is unique, which at the end of the day is a win.

1502519691_52_59.JPG

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi Scottie.

Saison' date=' 193 weeks bottled - December 1 2013...

...even though I didn't use a Belgian Saison yeast on this one.[/quote']

I'm confused? unsuresideways

Looks nice in the glass though. smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

Not sure I can help.

1/ Almost four years in the bottle.

2/ Used Farmhouse Ale (3726) yeast and I'm getting some bubble gum flavour which I'd only expect with a Belgian yeast.

Cheers

Drinking the below recipe, adapted from the Bronzed Brews version of Tooth's and using White lab's Melbourne Ale yeast. I am impressed. Cannot notice the sugar. One of the abilities of the yeast is apparently the way it handles sugar. The beer has a nice bitterness and flavour. I think I'll buy me some POR and make a Coopers style beer, this yeast should suit it well.

Recipe: Toofs

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Australian Sparkling Ale

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 30.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.046 SG

Estimated Color: 12.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 39.4 IBUs

Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 81.0 %

0.45 kg Maize, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 10.4 %

0.02 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 3 0.5 %

40.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [6.50 %] - Firs Hop 4 31.1 IBUs

0.35 kg Dememera Sugar (3.9 EBC) Sugar 5 8.1 %

20.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [6.50 %] - Boil Hop 6 8.3 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WLP566 Belgian Saison II Yeast

Made a Simple Saison with this yeast.

Looking at the recipe it is 5kg BB Ale, 20g Fortnight FWH.

Wow. Such a nice, easy drinking and fruity beer. It finished around 1.005 I think. makes it around 6.5%.

Could pass for a pale ale with the fruitiness from the yeast (I assume it is the yeast)

Making Like a Pirate V2.0 - Session IPA (a Throwback Clone)

Refreshing, Spicy bitter grapefruit. The only downfall is that I brewed this when the settings on my Grain Mill had moved and my efficiency went South. Could do with a higher OG togive a few more % points of ABV and a more Malt influence.

Having said that this is the best 3% brew I've ever tasted. Does 3% fall into the light beer category?

Anyways the cousin of SWMBO tried this today and reckons most have home brews he tasted that his mates brew are terrible compared to this one.

1502612809_86_591.JPG

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Not sure I can help.

1/ Almost four years in the bottle.

2/ Used Farmhouse Ale (3726) yeast and I'm getting some bubble gum flavour which I'd only expect with a Belgian yeast.

The "Farmhouse" tag has it sit right in the Belgian style. The 3726 being very similar to the 3711 & 3724 with slightly less attenuation' date=' but better flocking characteristics that make clarity a little easier to accomplish.

You're in Belgian Saison territory buddy. [img']tongue[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi guys,

Another brew day today and having a glass or three of my various brews on tap. One of these is a pale ale I brewed with base malt and some crystal malt that was home made by forum member dadndave (not sure if he still frequents here) and some of my home grown Cascade flowers.

I'll post a pic one we get the net next week but it has turned out a lovely golden color and is quite clear as well. More importantly the flavor is great. It turned out a midstrength 3.5% due to the lower OG, but you wouldn't know it from the taste. The hops do stand out well and the flavor is not much different from American grown Cascade. It could use a bit more malt presence, but going in with an unknown malt I didn't really have any expectations of how it would turn out. It has been a pleasant surprise.

Overall this experiment has been a great success IMO. I'll be disappointed when the keg runs out for sure. I'll have to email old mate and tell him the good news methinks!

Cheers

Kelsey

Back on the 2011 Valley Brewed Coopers ESVA. Caramel yes, smooth yes, I said before it wouldn't win a gold medal but I reckon the Silver is on the cards. I was lucky enough to taste someone's All Grain aged 100 IBU high octane Ale. I have to say I'm struggling to pick the difference.

Anyone wanting a two can and having great patience should have a crack at the recipe of the month.

1503123263_53_922.JPG

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Drinking an IPA made with the following recipe, probably my best yet.

50-60IBUs, 6.4%ABV.

Nice and light in colour even with the cararye in there.

Have started using gelatine during the cold crash and can't believe how clear it is after only a few days.

Tried to post some photos in other threads but have given up now.

The photos don't do it justice anyway, it's a thing of beauty!

Triple C IPA

Coopers Lager can

Coopers LLME can

500g LDME

White sugar 400g

Cararye 200g

Chinook 35g 20minutes

Citra 40g 10 minutes

IBUs 55

OG 1.059

FG 1.010

6.4%ABV

1.4 litre starter of West Yorky 1469

Day 5 : Dry hopped

Citra 40g

Cascade 25g

Chinook 25g

Kegged 13/8/17

14/8/17 keg hopped 35 g each of Citra and Cascade

Bloody lovely!!

Cheers

James

Bloody lovely!!

Sounds great James!

I am having a Golden Rye IPA.

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 30.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.071 SG

Estimated Color: 10.0 EBC

Estimated IBU: 71.7 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

16.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

5.50 kg Pale Malt' date=' Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 4 81.5 %

1.00 kg Rye, Flaked (3.9 EBC) Grain 5 14.8 %

20.00 g Fortnight [13.90 %'] - First Wort 60.0 mi Hop 6 26.6 IBUs

0.25 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC) Sugar 7 3.7 %

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -

50.00 g Amarillo [8.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 9 11.1 IBUs

50.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 10 7.2 IBUs

50.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [6.50 %] - Stee Hop 11 8.6 IBUs

50.00 g Fortnight [13.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2 Hop 12 18.3 IBUs

1.0 pkg New World Strong Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M Yeast 13 -

50.00 g Amarillo [8.40 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heaps going on there. Bold amarillo flavours, quite bitter, slightly minerally and a good hit from the rye.

Wow.

This one was bottled on the 21st of May 2011. It was my 4th Brew.

Basic Blonde

Coopers Draught kit

1 Kg of Brew by you Liquid Malt

500g Dextrose

Kit Yeast Pitched at 24 degrees

Fermented at 18 - 20 degrees

23 litres

OG 1.040

FG 1.003

ABV 5.45%

Cost $19.66

Bottled 21.75 litres

Smooth Malt, I have a theory which you can read here.

Alas there are no more

1503720238_0_839.JPG

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 3 weeks later...

I have no home brewed beer available at the moment, except a keg of Bo Pils that isn't on tap yet, however on Saturday SWMBO and I went down to Mt Tamborine for a bit of a look around and to check out Fortitude Brewing where we had a tasting paddle before coming home.

Anyway, we went into this German cuckoo clock shop and found they also sold beer related stuff, and I picked up this stein. I daresay it will get a bit of use once the home brews are back on tap again.

1506308085_04_514.jpg

1506308089_19_452.jpg

1506308092_09_673.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived