2.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 1 50.0 %

2.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 2 50.0 %

10.00 g Sticklebract [13.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 Hop 3 16.3 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 4 -

28.00 g Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 5 -

28.00 g Salt (Boil 10.0 mins) Water Agent 6 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body

Total Grain Weight: 4.00 kg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will be kettle soured over night and boiled tomorrow. Fermented with MJ's French Saison yeast I think.

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just made my ESVA ROTM. 1.062 ... eep!

Knocked up mine aswell....although, as it was about 9.30pm by the time I finished it and put it in the brew fridge I forgot to take a SG reading - will go with yours KR, did you use the full 1kg of Dex?

although, as it was about 9.30pm

I feel your pain Payno. I was cleaning bottles and kegs last night at about 2030, and didn't finish bottling til about 2130.

Bottled a dark (very dark) and hoppy American/English/Imperial IPA (its a bastardisation i don't even know what it is but hey it tasted good out of the fermenter so a few weeks in the bottle and it should be great). FG came out at 1018, OG was 1072. So looking at an ABV of about 7.5% in the bottle.

At the same time was able to try some of the Cascarillo Amber Ale (recipe from the coopers store) i bottled on the 28th. Already tasting amazing and looking forward to see how much it improves with a bit of extra time.

although' date=' as it was about 9.30pm[/quote']

I feel your pain Payno. I was cleaning bottles and kegs last night at about 2030, and didn't finish bottling til about 2130.

Bottled a dark (very dark) and hoppy American/English/Imperial IPA (its a bastardisation i don't even know what it is but hey it tasted good out of the fermenter so a few weeks in the bottle and it should be great). FG came out at 1018, OG was 1072. So looking at an ABV of about 7.5% in the bottle.

At the same time was able to try some of the Cascarillo Amber Ale (recipe from the coopers store) i bottled on the 28th. Already tasting amazing and looking forward to see how much it improves with a bit of extra time.

Im usually pretty good with bottling as I know how long it takes. But I am guilty of leaving my brews till later in the day - then they get delayed for one reason or another and before you know it, youre a nighttime brewer! .....its one of the reasons I haven't gone all grain yet, at least with Kits and bits you can get a brew together in an hour or so.

IPA sounds interesting - haven't tried many English ones yet, but saw one at Dan Murphys that I would like to try to see if I'd like to brew one.

I Bottled a "Freezer Cleaner APA" earlier yesterday - was just an extract pale ale to use up leftover hops in the freezer. - it has got Pacific Jade, Hallertau, Cascade & Galaxy in it, and dry hopped with some leftover Mosaic...will be interesting to see what its like once its carbed, tasted 'interesting' out of the FV sideways

Put down another batch yesterday, ended up getting 2 X 28 litre cubes

Last two batches Ive forgot to add irish moss so as a result my trub has been a lttle unsettled after whirlpool... Just totally forgot about adding a 10 minuts in last few brews

Not sure weather to ALE OR LAGER

ABV 5.16% IBU 38.19 SRM 5.76

Fermentables

11.5 kg Joe WHite - Pale 2-Row 38 2.5 88.7%

1.2 kg Joe WHite - Munich 37 6 9.3%

0.26 kg Joe WHite - Crystal 60L 34 60 2%

12.96 kg Total

Hops

Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU

55 g Centennial Pellet 10 Boil 60 min 24.9

25 g Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 60 min 5.09

25 g Mt hood Pellet 5.6 Boil 15 min 3.14

25 g Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 15 min 2.53

50 g Mt hood Pellet 5.6 Boil 5 min 2.53

Mash Guidelines

37 L Temperature 63 C 30 min

37 L Temperature 66 C 60 min

37 L Temperature 70 C 15

-- Sparge 76 C --

Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg

Yeast perhaps

1 x cube White Labs - San Francisco Lager Yeast WLP810

1 x cube or ale yeasts

Target Water Profile: Balanced Profile

Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 HCO3-

80 5 25 75 80 100

I measured my ESVA at 1.060 OG using 500g dextrose. Looks like it has hit a FG of 1.011, so that would be a shade under 7% ABV after bottle carbonation.

Unfortunately it is going to stay in the fermenter a while longer. I tore some ligaments in my left shoulder at basketball on Monday night, so I won't be carrying my full-size fermenter to my bottling spot for a while. Now I see one advantage of fermenting in a cube - you can carry it easily with one hand if you have to.

The next Brew i have is for my partner she has been diagnosed with coeliac disease its just a gluten free mangrove jacks pale ale with hop extract in it. But ill had 1kg of moltodextrin to give it some head as recommended I have an extra 500g that could go in maybe?? has anybody used this before ill add a link to the product, it comes in a foil pouch. wish me luck unsure

http://mangrovejacks.com/products/traditional-series-gluten-free-pale-ale

The next Brew i have is for my partner she has been diagnosed with coeliac disease its just a gluten free mangrove jacks pale ale with hop extract in it. But ill had 1kg of moltodextrin to give it some head as recommended I have an extra 500g that could go in maybe?? has anybody used this before ill add a link to the product' date=' it comes in a foil pouch. wish me luck [img']unsure[/img]

http://mangrovejacks.com/products/traditional-series-gluten-free-pale-ale

If you've brewed a recipe like this before and it's to your taste then go for it, but personally I think a brew with 1kg of maltodextrin would be undrinkable.

If you're avoiding gluten, maybe add dextrose as the recipe suggested, maybe 500-750g, then only add about 250g maltodextrin.

Brew day today! happy

American Pale Ale:

Blackrock Amber Liquid Malt extract 1.7kg

Coopers Wheat Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg

Dextrose 100gms

Bravo 15gms @ 30mins

Cascade 15gms @ 15mins

Amarillo 15gms @ 10mins

Cascade/Centennial/Cluster 15gms hop tea

Amarillo/Bravo 25gms each dry hopped

US-05 (rehydrated)

Brewed to 21 litres

OG = approx. 1.049

FG = approx. 1.014

EBC = 21.8

IBU = 33.3

Kegged ABV = 4.5%

I haven't used the wheat LME in this beer style before, so will be interested to see how it goes & whether I can notice any discernible difference in the end beer from the usual light LME I normally use.

Good times ahead. smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

Brewday again

Another version of the Ryebaby XPA i made by mistake last time

23 L

2.75 german Bo pils

.92 kg german munich 1

.92 kg german Rye

.3 kg caramalt

really loving what Rye brings to a beer , bit under 19 % of the bill this time

All Amarillo again

20g @ 60 ,20 @ 40 ,20 @ 20, 20 @ 0 and a dry hop TBA

Exp OG 1.050

IBU 45ish i think ? ( my chilling methods take a good 10 mins to bring temps down )

Notty yeast @ 16

I brewed an Oktoberfest this evening, recipe as follows:

Stats

Batch volume (end of boil): 12 litres

OG: 1.052 SG

Bitterness: 23.2 IBUs

Colour: 14.4 EBC

Mash / Lauter: 60 minutes at 66° C, batch sparged

Boil: 60 minutes

Grain

1kg BestMalz Pilsner malt

1kg Joe White Munich malt

1kg BestMalz Vienna malt

Hops

FWH - 32g Hallertauer (3% AA)

Yeast

Re-pitched WLP838 slurry

I took it pretty slowly and carefully (hence the late finish), and everything went nice and smoothly.

I'm doing another brew day on Saturday since I have a spare day, the first one in about 5 weeks I think after my 3 brews in 3 days last month got the stocks up enough. I'll be brewing another of my Bo Pils since I've restocked on Saaz hops.

25L intended batch size, based on 75% brewhouse efficiency. Usual treated water. No chilled and not adjusted.

Grains

4.750 kg Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 6 94.7 %

0.160 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 7 3.2 %

0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 2.0 %

0.007 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 9 0.1 %

Mashed at 63C for 40 mins, 71C for 30 mins, 78C mash out for 10 mins

Hops

100.00 g Saaz [1.30 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 10 16.0 IBUs

45.00 g Saaz [3.40 %] - Boil 80.0 min Hop 11 16.9 IBUs

30.00 g Saaz [1.30 %] - Boil 80.0 min Hop 12 4.3 IBUs

100.00 g Saaz [1.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 13 6.8 IBUs

90 minute boil followed by 20 minute stand

Yeast

Wyeast 2001 Urquell lager, pitch and ferment at 10C, raise to 18C on day 5 or 6 depending on SG. This yeast is still going after 18 months of being re-used and still hasn't started throwing any funky flavours yet.

The Stats

Est Original Gravity: 1.0473 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0090 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %

Bitterness: 44.0 IBUs

Est Color: 9.6 EBC

Yes, there are 275g of hops in this beer due to the crazy low AA% of the Saaz. But, I'm not going back to bittering this recipe with something of a higher AA% because the result is not as nice. Hopefully the next order they are a bit higher in AA though.

Currently drinking a glass of the previous batch which is now on tap, tasting good!

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey everyone. How’s everything going?

I’m planning to do a quick extract brew this weekend between BIAB recipes. This is a BYO Magazine recipe from their September issue.

Foreign Extra Stout II

3 kg Amber Liquid Malt

1 kg Light Dry Malt

450 g Roasted Barley (Gladfields)

210 g Dark Crystal (Gladfields)

105 g Shepherd’s Delight (Gladfields)

200 g Dextrose

100 g EK Goldings @ 60 minutes

GigaYeast GY080 Irish Stout

22 litre batch

Estimates:

IBU 60(ish) – No chill

OG - 1062

This should be a good one.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

It's gonna be a busy weekend.

Simple brew planned for Sunday using another new hop (moutere) & a new Briess LME.

Briess CBW Pale Ale LME 1.5kg

Coopers Light LME 1.5kg

Wheat Dry Malt 250gms

Dextrose 50gms

Centennial 15gms (10.2%AA) @ 35mins

Moutere 15gms (17.1%AA) @ 15mins

Moutere 15gms @ 5mins

Moutere 20gms hop tea

Moutere 50gms dry hopped

US-05 yeast (rehydrated @ 37°C)

Brewed to 21 litres

Fermented @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.049

FG = approx. 1.014

EBC = 13.4

IBU = 36.6

Kegged ABV = 4.6%

Have a good weekend guys!

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey lusty I also saw that new briess malt extract. What was your go to briess for pale ales before this came out? The golden light?

When I use up my last couple of malt cans I am going to do a bulk order of briess malts extracts. I like that there are so many variations to choose from so should be able to get even closer to a particular style.

Hi joolbag. smile

Hey lusty I also saw that new briess malt extract. What was your go to briess for pale ales before this came out? The golden light?

Absolutely. The colour & flavour off that LME is superb (IMHO). Every brew I've used that LME in has turned out terrific for the Pale Ale style that I predominantly brew. Aim for an EBC around 14 using some light crystal malts in conjunction with this LME & tell me it ain't spectacular looking in the glass! cool

When I use up my last couple of malt cans I am going to do a bulk order of briess malts extracts. I like that there are so many variations to choose from so should be able to get even closer to a particular style.

I support Coopers wherever I can as an extract based brewer' date=' but Briess are now the market leader in liquid malt extracts due to producing lines that incorporate predominantly a wider variety of BASE MALT alternatives for extract based brewers.

If you like brewing certain styles of beer & have limited equipment, previously you would be very limited in how closely you could reproduce these styles if using malt extract for your base. Briess have taken the gamble & expanded their base malt range in both LME & somewhat in DME. I for one am grateful for this. [img']cool[/img] happy

I hope Coopers are monitoring the situation, & are perhaps tempted to produce a similar range. unsure

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Helpful as always lusty! I have only used the pilsner extract from Briess, and was rather impressed with it. Am definitely going to try other base malts in their range.

Like you I support Coopers, and will still buy extract and other bits from my LHBS and online here. But they cannot compete with the range that Briess have at the moment

Hi all. First time posting on this topic so here we go. I just put down my first all extract brew. Its based on Dr Smurtos golden ale recipe, but i got it from King Ruddagers youtube channel, fast homebrew. Awesome channel, i highly recommend you all check it out if you haven't yet. Anyway, the recipe is as follows,

1 Coopers light LME can

1 Coopers wheat LME can

250g caramalt 30 min steep

12g warrior at 60 mins (15.6% AA)

15g amarillo at 15 mins (7.0% AA)

15g amarillo at 5 mins (7.0% AA)

US-05 pitched at 20c fermenting at 18c

23 litres

OG - 1.044

FG -1.010 (expected)

IBU - 31 (approx)

ABV - 4.5% (depending on FG)

I plan to dry hop with 15 or 20g amarillo 4 days before bottle day. I cant wait to taste this! Thanks your majesty!

Archived