Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2016

Canadian Eh!L

Yeah. The first (and only to date) IPA I've brewed was a 25 litre batch that contained 6.5kg Maris Otter and 450g Medium Crystal. It was hopped with a combination of Centennial and Mosaic and I rather enjoyed it, but I think it could have used a tad more bitterness by way of increasing the 60 min hop addition.

In any case, it certainly didn't exhibit the horrid sickly sweetness of some other IPAs I've tried.

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brew day this Saturday and I guess I'll wander down the road at some stage and vote for some muppets... Anyway, I'm doing another Bohemian Pilsner and this time it'll be fermented with the proper bloody yeast. Will be pitching the yeast on Monday, so this batch will also only stay in the cube for about 2 days.

Based on 75% Brewhouse Efficiency; 25 litre intended batch size

Grains

4.750 kg Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 6 94.7 %

0.160 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 7 3.2 %

0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 2.0 %

0.007 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 9 0.1 %

Hops

50.00 g Saaz {3.40 %} - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 10 21.0 IBUs

35.00 g Saaz {3.40 %} - Boil 80.0 min Hop 11 13.1 IBUs

50.00 g Saaz {3.40 %} - Boil 15.0 min Hop 12 8.8 IBUs

Yeast

1.0 pkg Urquell Lager (Wyeast Labs #2001) - This is actually harvested yeast that is currently growing in a starter (probably finished growing now though). Bought the original smack pack in April last year and it's still going strong. w00t

Mash schedule: 63C for 40 minutes, 71C for 30 minutes, 78C mash-out. 90 minute boil.

The Stats

Est Original Gravity: 1.0473 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0090 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %

Bitterness: 42.9 IBUs

Est Color: 9.6 EBC

This lot of Saaz has a higher AA% than the previous lot I used, so I adjusted the 80 minute addition as a result of this. Originally I had it at 30g but I thought I'd just bump up the bitterness slightly as I have found them a tad sweet in the past.

Looking forward to this being on tap again! biggrin Should have some surplus bottles too if I get the full 25 litres.

Cheers

Kelsey

Looks great Kelsey,

Ive got my first batch of WLP800 firing away with a 33 litre batch ATM, My last brew was 85% efficiency

My next brew is a Czech Lager... Similar brews Kelsey!

Based on 85% Brewhouse Efficiency; 60 litre intended batch size, may make it slightly less give or take!

Grains

2 kg Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann)

7 kg Joe White Vienna

1kg Carapils

Hops

150g Saaz {3.50 %} - Boil 60.0 min Hop 28.63 IBUs

150g Saaz {3.50 %} - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10.38 IBUs

Yeast

WLP 800 - slurry,

Mash schedule: 50-55C for 15 minutes, 63C for 45 minutes, 72 for 15 min, sparge 76degrees

90 minute boil.

The Stats

Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.5 %

Bitterness: 39.01 IBUs

Similar brews mates! May have to post a to each other a bottle to do a side by side!

BRING IT ON! BIAB v 3 V ... lol

Cheers mate. Yeah that's the same as the yeast I have, I quite like it in this recipe, but when it comes time to replace it, I'm gonna test out the 2000 Budvar strain. I also used it in my German style lager that I brewed with the home grown Hallertau flowers and that beer is coming along really nicely now after a couple of weeks in the keg. The yeast has cleared very nicely on its own too - I didn't use isinglass in that batch.

Will be interesting to see how that brew turns out with the majority of Vienna malt in the grist. Maybe we should do a bottle swap, I'd be interested to taste it and compare the two!

I'm a week behind schedule but I'm going to try throwing one together today - I've upsized my brew pot slightly so I'll get a better yield, at least.

BUILD A GRAIN BILL

Pilsener Malt ($5.00): 1

Vienna ($9.60): 1.6

Melanoidin Malt ($1.80): 0.3

Acidulated Malt ($0.71): 0.1

Milling: Milled

Will mash hop with 20g of Ella and probably boil another 10g for the full 60. I wanted to try a liquid lager yeast this time around but I haven't had time to get one ready. It'll end up being 34/70 as usual.

I just got the Dr Smurtos Golden Ale recipe down. The kit n bits one, using Coopers lager and a can of wheat malt. Steeped crystal and Amarillo flavour boil at 15 and 0 minutes.

Really looking forward to trying this, given the many favourable reviews.

Got a couple of brews down this weekend:

1: left overs brew, 23 litres

1 Coopers bootmaker can

1.5kg coopers wheat lme

300g dme

200g caramunich

45g willamette @10 min

2x kit yeasts

2: first semi all grain biab, 19 litres

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %

2.5 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 71.4%

0.3 kg German - Munich Light 37 6 8.6%

0.5 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light 42 4 17.1%

0.1 kg American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 2.9%

3.5 kg Total

Hops

Amount Variety AA Use Time

20 g Centennial 10 Boil 60 min

15 g Chinook 13 Boil 15 min

15 g Cascade 7 Boil 10 min

15 g Chinook 13 Boil 5 min

15 g Cascade 7 Boil 0 min

15 g Chinook 13 Dry Hop 0 days

15 g Cascade 7 Dry Hop 0 days

Yeast

US-05

The all grain was a bit of an experiment, 15 litres water used to mash in the big dub pot and sparged with 4 litres to get the boil volume up to about 17 litres. Then about 13 litres into the fv after boil off and trub losses so topped up with about 6 litres of water and 500g dme. Og was 1042, a bit shy of the target 1047 but not to concerned about that. Also fermenting this one in a jerry style cube as it fits nicely next to the normal fv in my fermenting despite freezer.

Cheers,

Tom

2 down over the weekend-

FLAME OUT PALE

1kg LDM

1kg Wheat LDM

50g Galaxy @ flame out.

18L

US 05 @ 18C

4% ABV (Kegged)

18+ IBU ????

I did a 10L boil (1040 gravity) and threw the hops in at flame out. Lid on the pot, and let cool overnight. Not sure what IBU's I'll get?

I may also dry hop this one.

MORGANS BROWN DOG

OL' Brown dog recipe as per coopers, but I subbed the dark ale for a Morgan's dark ale can and the amber LME for Light LME.

All the best,

Dave.

King Brown Porter - 22L batch size

Coopers English Bitter

Coopers Amber malt 1.5kg

500g Caramalt (steeped)

200g Dark Brown Sugar

30g Fuggles, 10g Azacca, 10g Cascade @ 5 mins & 10 mins steep

OG = 1055

Fermenting at house ambient temp with US-05 (thought I had Nottingham but didnt).

Will dry hop with something, not sure yet. Maybe 10g each of the above...

My last brew was in August 2015, so I thought it was well time to make a new one this weekend.

Coopers English Bitter can

1kg honey

1kg medium spray malt

danstar nottingham yeast

up to 23 liters

Made a similar in 2013 and it was soooo nice! (that time with coopers amber instead of spraymalt, and with 700g honey instead of 1kg)

Good to be back! :)

Hi team. I have been eyeing this recipe off for a few months now and am finally going to brew it this weekend. I found the recipe on The Yeast Bay's website.

It is basically an APA with some funky yeast thrown in.

Funktown Pale Ale

2.8 kg Maris Otter

1.5 kg Pilsner

0.75kg Caramalt

15g Chinook @ 60 min

15g Cascade @ 15 min

15g Chinook @ 10 min

15g Cascade @ 1 min

WLP644 Saccharomyces "Trois"

BIAB - 21 litre batch, no chill.

Aiming for around 1.046 OG at 65% efficiency.

Some details on the yeast strain:

This strain, used traditionally for wild yeast-like fermentations, produces a slightly tart beer with delicate characteristics of mango and pineapple. Can also be used to produce effervescence when bottle-conditioning.

Attenuation - 85%+

Flocculation - Low

Optimum Ferment Temp - 21-30°C

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Some details on the yeast strain:

This strain' date=' used traditionally for wild yeast-like fermentations, produces a slightly tart beer with delicate characteristics of mango and pineapple. Can also be used to produce effervescence when bottle-conditioning.[/i']

YEAH buddy!

My kettle sour is freakin great, really enjoying it. Let us know how yours turns out.

This weekend is pretty much a beer weekend for me. On Saturday I'm building the second planter box and trellis for my hops; this one will have the Cascade rhizome I recently bought put into it. I'll keep the Fuggles plant in its pot, and move it around the yard a bit.

On Sunday, I'll be brewing this recipe, which is exactly the same as one I brewed earlier in the year, but unfortunately that was the cube that got infected so I never got to see how it would have turned out. It's basically an ESB; I'm brewing a few more of these now to use up the stocks of Fuggles and EKG that I have here, as well as enjoyment of the style.

21 Litre Batch, based on 75% Brewhouse Efficiency. No-chill; no hop adjustments made.

Grains

3.400 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 87.9 %

0.200 kg Dememera Sugar (3.9 EBC) Sugar 6 5.2 %

0.200 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 2 5.2 %

0.050 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3 1.3 %

0.020 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 4 0.5 %

Hops

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 5 18.4 IBUs

20.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 11.3 IBUs

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 5.8 IBUs

Yeast

Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale, starter built from harvested yeast.

90 minute mash at 66-67C, 78C mash-out, and 75 minute boil. The sugar is just raw sugar but it doesn't appear to be in Beersmith so I just used Dememera for it in there. This will be dissolved in hot water and added to the boil with about 10-15 mins left.

The Stats

Est Original Gravity: 1.0449 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0112 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.4 %

Bitterness: 35.5 IBUs

Est Color: 21.1 EBC

Hopefully this time the bloody cube won't get infected and I'll actually be able to get a beer out of it!

Cheers

Kelsey

YEAH buddy!

My kettle sour is freakin great' date=' really enjoying it. Let us know how yours turns out.[/quote']

Nice one, I really want to make a kettle sour or a berliner weisse. Did you just do your kettle sour in your Crown Urn Ben?

Hi guys.

A rare night brew is the go this time around. I got home from work about 30mins ago, & thought I'd whack a brew down to give me back some time tomorrow on my day off. It's the Steam beer brew I mentioned in another thread that was meant to be put down last Sunday, but I ended up having too much on my plate that day to squeeze it in. pinched

The recipe is almost the same as the one I listed over in the "Steam Beer." thread bar I couldn't get hold of the CaraBohemian grain, or the Ahtanum hops, so have had to substitute those for similar ingredients. I decided to drop the dextrose a little too.

Briess Pilsen Light LME 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt extract 750gms

Weyermann's Pilsner Malt grain 500gms

Munich Malt grain 400gms

CaraMunich grain 250gms

Dark Crystal grain 150gms

Dextrose 100gms

Target (11.0%AA) 10gms @ 60mins

Bravo (15.8%) 10gms @ 60mins

Cluster (7.3%AA) 15gms @ 15mins

Amarillo 30gms 80°C hop tea steeped for 30mins

Cluster 30gms 80°C hop tea steeped for 30mins

2 x Mangrove Jacks M54 California Lager yeast (re-hydrated)

Ferment @ 18°C

Brewed to 23 litres

OG = approx. 1.051

FG = approx. 1.013

EBC = 20.5

IBU = 35.3

Kegged ABV = approx. 5.0%

It's gonna be an interesting evening/early morning. Mash is just on, & I'm having a few ales throughout the evening. Let's hope I get the hop additions at the right points this time, unlike last time I did this combination drinking & brewing at the same time! lol

Hopefully I'll have it in the FV with yeast pitched by 1.00 - 1.30am. unsure

Time for another beer. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Good luck lusty. Keen to hear how brew night goes. I did one similar timing (after I got kids down) and didn't finish until 12.30 and with cleaning up it was past 1.30am before I hit the hay. Sometimes just gotta do it!

Drinking and brewing at the same time is a fine art, and one that I feel I've now mastered after nearly 4 years brewing AG lol

I ended up switching the brew day to Saturday, as my lady and I were heading out for dinner that night and I didn't feel like messing about with garden work previous to that, plus the weather was crappy for outdoor projects too.

The brew day went well, didn't quite hit my target OG this time but the mash efficiency was ahead of predicted. I think the OG issue was due to not properly dissolving the raw sugar due to being a bit rushed at the end. Still, it wasn't out by very much, half a point or so. I managed to fill the cube without getting any of the kettle trub into it this time, which is excellent. I left the urn to sit for 20 mins post flameout and drained slowly, but didn't tip the urn up until the wort had dropped about half way down the tap outlet, this seemed to keep the trub away from it longer so I'll be trying that again next brew day.

Cheers

Kelsey

Happy to report all went well (both the drinking & the brewing wink) & have the beginnings of a very healthy looking krausen with a good foam building on top of the wort all within 12 hours from pitching the yeast. happy Interesting because about 4 hours ago it looked as dead as a door nail.

The hop schedule should throw up something interesting, along with the yeast properties. Yeast was pitched @ 21.6°C, & dropped to 18.5°C overnight, & is happily sitting @ 18.0°C now where it will remain through primary ferment.

I'm looking forward to doing a few brews in a row with this yeast, provided this beer turns out well.

I'm heading out a little later with the GF to the Coopers Alehouse for tea tonight, so am looking forward to that along with some 2016 Vintage Ale I spotted on tap the last time I was there. love

Happy days. biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Its all happening at my end,

Ive got two separate but the same batches halfwat through brewing reusing WLP 800 pilsner slurry & 0ne 11 litre batch of centennial marris otter smash that's brewing using WLP001 that's basically my starter for the following 50 litres of cubed wort!

Happy Days summer will not be a drought here that's for sure

Wow lusty, krausen within 12hrs from dry yeast, rehydrated. I haven't experienced that before. I am using that yeast this weekend when I do my steam beer brew. As discussed in the steam beer thread, I am following the Coopers DIY recipe. Using MJ yeast for the first time, two packs.

Looking forward to tasting this steam beer brew!

Hi joolbag.

Wow lusty' date=' krausen within 12hrs from dry yeast, rehydrated. I haven't experienced that before.[/quote']

Yeast will always be more active when starting fermentation in larger volumes, & when being exposed to fermentable sugars toward the higher end of its suited ferment temperature range.

With this particular style of beer you the brewer are doing BOTH so a shorter lag time should be expected. wink

I am using that yeast this weekend when I do my steam beer brew. As discussed in the steam beer thread' date=' I am following the Coopers DIY recipe. Using MJ yeast for the first time, two packs.

Looking forward to tasting this steam beer brew!

[/quote']

As I mentioned earlier, I really enjoyed the DIY Steam Beer & would happily brew the recipe again.

On a side note, I feel there is a bit of a stigma (for a better word) out in the homebrewing community about this "California Common" strain of yeast & a reluctance to use it in situations that probably would suit it well in preference to using an Ale yeast at lower ferment temperatures. This is my main reason for now embarking on using this strain over a number of brews to see how it may better the ale yeasts at lower traditional ale ferment temperatures.

It's gonna be interesting, REAL interesting from my standpoint given my love of hoppy, fuller malt driven American APA's & IPA's.

I'll know more after I've sampled this slight hybrid Steam beer I have brewing atm as to whether this strain is as good as I potentially reckon it could be.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I ended up switching the brew day to Saturday ...

Any time you can swap gardening for brewing is a win in my book!

I'm heading out a little later with the GF to the Coopers Alehouse for tea tonight' date=' so am looking forward to that along with some 2016 Vintage Ale I spotted on tap the last time I was there. [img']love[/img]

Hope you enjoyed the ESVA Lusty! I collected my case last week ... have been really enjoying it so far happy

It's such a good beer, one I look forward to every year. I really hope Coopers keep on making it for a long time to come.

Cheers,

John

Hi John. smile

Longtime no see.

Hope you enjoyed the ESVA Lusty! I collected my case last week ... have been really enjoying it so far happy

It's such a good beer' date=' one I look forward to every year. I really hope Coopers keep on making it for a long time to come.[/quote']

I couldn't agree more. It is a super beer. I only had the one glass of it (as I was driving that night) but really enjoyed it (as always). We enjoyed the nice meals etc. as well. The staff were terrific again. happy

Apart from my liking for continual experimentation & the fact I don't drink or brew a lot of heavy darkish brews each year, I really can't explain why I don't brew the DIY recipe every year for Winter drinking. It really is outstanding for a kit based brew & so simple to put together. Even the lower ABV version I did a few years ago was terrific @ around 5.3% ABV.

I must brew it using the CCA yeast next time. Something I'm yet to do with it.

For a home brewed beer, FIVE STARS. love

Cheers,

Lusty.

Have not brewed for a month due to a lack of grains....

Fixed that today.

75kg BB Ale

50kg Weyerman Pilsner

25kg BB Wheat

17kg Weyerman Rye

22.5kg Weyerman Munich II

Should do me for a bit

Archived