Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2016

Canadian Eh!L

Finally back to brewing! It's probably been two months since my last brew day.

2.5kg 2-Row Pale Malt

100g Caramalt

150g Crystal 60L

Perle 10g @ 60min

Perle 15g @ 5min

WLP838 Southern German Lager

Just about to ramp up for the mash-out now... Taking it very easy, no tricks or number worries today.

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all. First time posting on this topic so here we go. I just put down my first all extract brew. Its based on Dr Smurtos golden ale recipe' date=' but i got it from King Ruddagers youtube channel, fast homebrew. Awesome channel, i highly recommend you all check it out if you haven't yet. Anyway, the recipe is as follows,

1 Coopers light LME can

1 Coopers wheat LME can

250g caramalt 30 min steep

12g warrior at 60 mins (15.6% AA)

15g amarillo at 15 mins (7.0% AA)

15g amarillo at 5 mins (7.0% AA)

US-05 pitched at 20c fermenting at 18c

23 litres

OG - 1.044

FG -1.010 (expected)

IBU - 31 (approx)

ABV - 4.5% (depending on FG)

I plan to dry hop with 15 or 20g amarillo 4 days before bottle day. I cant wait to taste this! Thanks your majesty![/quote']

Smurtos is a very tasty drop , you should enjoy it

Thanks Markoman. I really hope so. Im just a little worried that there won't be enough hop flavour in there because the last few brews i have made were very hoppy! I made one with 200g! 100 mosaic and 100 galaxy.But im curious as to how this will turn out

Tonight I brewed a Galaxy IPA as follows (I decided to save my English IPA for my next batch). The hopping for this one is a little milder than I would usually do, so it might not turn out quite like a typical IPA.

Stats

Batch size: 10.5 litres

OG: 1.063 SG

Color: 13 EBC

IBU: 60 IBUs

Mash: 60 minutes at 64C, 15 minutes at 67C, 2 step batch sparge

Boil: 60 Minutes

Grain

85.7% Briess Pale Ale malt

14.3% BestMalz Vienna malt

Hops

FWH - 10g Motueka

FWH - 5g Galaxy

5 mins - 15g Galaxy

Flameout - 15g Galaxy (15 minute steep)

Dry - 20g Galaxy (5 days)

I did a double batch sparge for this brew day, and used the first batch sparge to raise the mash temp for a 15 minute rest before running off. I'm trying to get this batch to attenuate well. Efficiency was good, measured as 77% into the boil and 75.5% at the end of the boil (these should be the same, but there's always going to be a bit of measurement error).

Now I just need to figure out how to get WLP002 to get decent attenuation. Some might say it is the wrong strain to use, but Stone say it's good for cloning their beers and they make great IPAs. We shall see! The consensus to get it to attenuate seems to be start at about 18C and then bump the temperature up to 20C after 2 to 3 days, rousing the yeast as necessary to get them to keep fermenting.

Cheers,

John

Hi John. smile

Hops

FWH - 10g Motueka

FWH - 5g Galaxy

5 mins - 15g Galaxy

Flameout - 15g Galaxy (15 minute steep)

Dry - 20g Galaxy (5 days)

The addition of Galaxy at this junction does concern me a little. Galaxy gives off extremely sharp bittering tones if long boiled. Being the equivalent of 10gms for a 21 litre brew' date=' that you've FWH'd it, you have a solid OG malt base, & it's an IPA you're making may all work in your favour though. [img']unsure[/img] Fingers crossed.

Looking back through my brew log, I used 25gms FWH of Galaxy on a 23L version of Scottie's Styx River Pale Ale (OG 1.042) back in mid 2014, & made a note to either drop the weight back by half, or to short boil it due to the unwanted sharpish bittering tones it produced.

I've since only short boiled this hop (mainly in my Galaxy Kolsch brew) with terrific results. happy

Good luck with the brew, I'll be interested in how it turns out.

Lusty.

Been held up with work and fishing commitments last couple weeks but finally this weekend :

Mosaic IPA

Briess Pale Ale Malt Extract (1.5kg)

Briess Amber Malt Extract (1.5kg)

DME (1kg)

2 X Safale US - 05

Briess Special Roast Malt Grains (500g)

35g Mosaic @ 60min

45g Mosaic @ Flame out

30g Mosaic dry hop @ day 8

30g mosaic dry hop @ day 14 (cold crash straight after for 5-7 days)

Keen to see how this goes, it's a bit of an experiment

Maybe it's something different, but roast malt is usually another name for black patent. When you think roasted you think dark, or at least I do.

Upon a Google search it reckons Briess Special Roast is about 40L which is somewhere around 80EBC, which isn't all that dark. In contrast, black patent is usually somewhere around 1300EBC. Trust the yanks to use a definition for something different to what it is elsewhere. lol

Either way, for an IPA which already contains the amber malt, it might not be needed. 33EBC is about the colour of my red ale and that's pretty dark for an IPA - unless it's a red IPA of course.

Got the Cascade / Golden promise SmaSh chilling now

4.5 kg of GP

20g Cascade @ 60

10 @ 40

10 @ 20

10 @ 10

.5 Whirlfloc @ 10

1 L starter of CCA

will ferment at 17 C

was expecting

OG 1.045

FG 1.010

IBU 27

EBC 9

Had to take a second sample to make sure my pre boil gravity was correct 1.073 !

added the 10 minute addition to make up for the lower utilisation ,

thats almost 10 points higher than expected , interested to see how my brewhouse numbers work on this batch

Got the Cascade / Golden promise SmaSh chilling now

4.5 kg of GP

20g Cascade @ 60

10 @ 40

10 @ 20

10 @ 10

.5 Whirlfloc @ 10

1 L starter of CCA

will ferment at 17 C

was expecting

OG 1.045

FG 1.010

IBU 27

EBC 9

Had to take a second sample to make sure my pre boil gravity was correct 1.073 !

added the 10 minute addition to make up for the lower utilisation ' date='

thats almost 10 points higher than expected , interested to see how my brewhouse numbers work on this batch [/quote']

I can only assume a decent ferment volume &/or this wort will be diluted, as pre-boil gravity increases throughout the boil unless it is diluted throughout. A pre-boil gravity reading of 1.073 coming down to 1.045 post-boil for pitching the yeast would take some serious diluting. High pre-boil gravities do have a substantial affect on hop utilisation throughout the boil. As the specific gravity increases liquid is evaporated off, & hop absorption also diminishes the overall wort volume over the course of the boil to create a higher SG wort continually throughout the boil phase.

I'd be interested to hear what volume this boil was &/or what was done to this wort post boil to hit those final numbers.

Cheers,

Lusty.

diluted into FV with nearly 6 l of clean water /ice

pre-boil vol 18.5 l

target FV vol 23 l

now it's chilled and pitched in fridge the SG is 1.047 , 23l including .5 of decanted starter

for now until i finish the Keggle these concentrated boils are my only option , not an ideal by any means but at least i am getting mostly consistent results

Brewhouse numbers spiked by 5% today though

Hi Markoman. smile

boil size 18.5 l

target FV vol 23 l

now it's chilled and pitched in fridge the SG is 1.047 ' date=' 23l including .5 of decanted starter

for now until i finish the Keggle these concentrated boils are my only option , not an ideal by any means but at least i am getting mostly consistent results [/quote']

Cool, I figured as much. happy

My comments were more about educating the uneducated. Your numbers did paint a very confusing picture to those not in the know. wink

Cheers & good brewing bud. Let us know what you thought of the all Golden Promise malt bill as I reckon more than a passing few of the regulars on the forum would be interested in reading that. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Markoman. smile

boil size 18.5 l

target FV vol 23 l

now it's chilled and pitched in fridge the SG is 1.047 ' date=' 23l including .5 of decanted starter

for now until i finish the Keggle these concentrated boils are my only option , not an ideal by any means but at least i am getting mostly consistent results [/quote']

Cool, I figured as much. happy

My comments were more about educating the uneducated. Your numbers did paint a very confusing picture to those not in the know. wink

Cheers & good brewing bud. Let us know what you thought of the all Golden Promise malt bill as I reckon more than a passing few of the regulars on the forum would be interested in reading that. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

at that gravity into Fv would be looking at serious brain damage

my current methods take too much juggling to get things to add up, i should have made post clear that it was to be diluted into FV

getting the IBUs right is enough of a challenge , heavily compromised method but producing decent beer .

Wort into FV tasted delicious , if it comes out like the MO / Chinook smash from a month ago i will do a backflip in Rundle Mall

Wort into FV tasted delicious ' date=' if it comes out like the MO / Chinook smash from a month ago i will do a backflip in Rundle Mall [/quote']

lol

Please take a picture in front of the Rundle Mall balls if in fact you do! tonguecool

Cheers & good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

The addition of Galaxy at this junction does concern me a little. Galaxy gives off extremely sharp bittering tones if long boiled. Being the equivalent of 10gms for a 21 litre brew' date=' that you've FWH'd it, you have a solid OG malt base, & it's an IPA you're making may all work in your favour though. [img']unsure[/img] Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your thoughts Lusty, I've read your experience bittering with Galaxy before, and hopefully taken the right bit of information out of it for this brew. I wanted to sneak some Galaxy into the bittering charge as I am hoping this comes across as a bit of 'bite' to offset the lowish IBU to gravity ratio (for the style), and the fact that the yeast may leave a little more body to the beer than say US-05.

Cheers,

John

Hey John and Lusty

I've read your comments about galaxy for bittering with interest. Recently I put together a stone n wood pacific ale clone, a pure extract brew. I just cracked my first one after two weeks in the bottle and was apprehensive... Thankfully it is not harshly bittered. It's a great beer, I'll have to buy a bottle of S&W to compare it. I think mine is a tad happier, but it'd how I like it.

Hop schedule was: 10g @ 40m. 15g @ 25m. 15g @ 5m. 15g @ 0m. 20g dry hop

Hey John and Lusty

I've read your comments about galaxy for bittering with interest. Recently I put together a stone n wood pacific ale clone' date=' a pure extract brew. I just cracked my first one after two weeks in the bottle and was apprehensive... Thankfully it is not harshly bittered. It's a great beer, I'll have to buy a bottle of S&W to compare it. I think mine is a tad happier, but it'd how I like it.

Hop schedule was: 10g @ 40m. 15g @ 25m. 15g @ 5m. 15g @ 0m. 20g dry hop[/quote']

Glad it turned out well! What size batch was that (just trying to gauge hopping rates)?

Recently I put together a stone n wood pacific ale clone' date=' a pure extract brew. I just cracked my first one after two weeks in the bottle and was apprehensive... Thankfully it is not harshly bittered. It's a great beer,..[/quote']

Congrats on the beer joolbag! I'm glad it turned out well. happy

...I'll have to buy a bottle of S&W to compare it. I think mine is a tad happier' date=' but it'd how I like it.[/quote']

I'm glad the beer is happy about it too. tonguewink

biggrin

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Good find Dave.

Hey Guys.

Found this on brulosophy this morning;

http://brulosophy.com/2016/10/06/the-hop-chronicles-galaxy/#more-72681

28gms of Galaxy @ FWH...

...I perceived a grassy note in the nose and aftertaste as well. If I were making this for show' date=' I’d keep the charmingly simple but supportive Maris Otter and Pilsner grist, but use a cleaner bittering hop while saving the Galaxy for late boil and dry hop additions.

...While I get the feeling Galaxy isn’t the cleanest of bittering hops...[/quote']

This bloke needs to do some reading on hop "co-humulone" levels. If he did, he wouldn't boil that much Galaxy for that long. He probably left the dry hops in for too long as well. whistling

Cheers,

Lusty.

If he's gonna put beers in a show I think he needs to do some reading on a fair few other things regarding good brewing practice as well Lusty, to be honest. lol

The more I see of that blog, the more I'm convinced that he's just trying to cut as many corners as possible, and brew as quickly as possible. It might produce beer at the end of it, but great beer is produced by following good brewing practice that's been proven time and time again to work the best, not by employing rough and slipshod practice just to save an hour or two on a brew day.

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived