Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2016

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Greg I like your recipe too...

Ive never used Columbus looks a great combo worth trying!

Although for an IPA Ide halve that crystal and get a dryer hoppy dominant beer using a dry finishing

Californian Ale yeast such as saf05

I think the idea of doing a 60 min boil then flame out then dry hop commando style after fermentation is the best way...

Thanks Waylon but I can't take any credit for the recipe though as I got the recipe from Grain and Grape when I bought my Crown Urn to go AG. I had fermented a couple of their FWK's and really liked the US IPA they have and thought it would be a good one to try as I would have something to compare my first BIAB with. It's coming along well and tastes great, I made a starter and harvested some yeast from a packet of Safale US-05 and it is doing an amazing job. I'll halve the crystal next time and see how it turns out, thanks for your advice.

I'll make the changes in beersmith too, thanks Kelsey.

Bottling a pilsener this morning and putting a Galaxy Saison down this afternoon

4.2kg Pale Malt

0.25kg Munich

0.25kg Wheat

75 min mash @ 63c

10 min mash out at 75c

10gm Galaxy @ 30 mins

15gm Galaxy @ 10 mins

15gm Galaxy @ 2 mins

15gm Galaxy dry hop

Belle Saison 1.5L Starter and will be fermented at ambient temp which with Sydney's forecast for the next few days is likely ~ 24c

Completed my first dry hop into the US IPA and as advised went commando. The FG over last 2 days is 1013, down from OG of 1054. The test sample tastes very similar and the bitterness is certainly there, looking forward to having it kegged and seeing how it comes out with a few weeks conditioning on it.

Going to brew your Devils Squaw Red Ale tomorrow Kelsey and must say I'm looking forward to that one from all reports.

Cheers

Greg

You'll get some bitterness from them then. Probably better to add them into Beersmith as a whirlpool addition @ 15-20 minutes for a more accurate bitterness calculation. Either way it looks like a nice recipe.

Just made the changes in beersmith and it raised the bitterness from 30.8IBU's to 50IBU's.

That's getting more like it... I mean, it's an IPA after all, 30 IBUs is nothing. I brewed mine to 60 IBUs and it still wasn't bitter enough but it should be noted that the majority of those IBUs came from late/flameout additions. Next time I'd keep those the same but increase the dose from the early addition to give it a bit more bite. Probably somewhere up near 70 IBUs.

That's getting more like it... I mean' date=' it's an IPA after all, 30 IBUs is nothing. I brewed mine to 60 IBUs and it still wasn't bitter enough but it should be noted that the majority of those IBUs came from late/flameout additions. Next time I'd keep those the same but increase the dose from the early addition to give it a bit more bite. Probably somewhere up near 70 IBUs. [/quote']

As a general rule for an IPA...

1. BU:GU to at least 1 x Bittering Unit for every 1 x original Gravity Unit.
  2. 1/2 to 2/3 of your TOTAL IBU count from an early boil addition (usually 60mins).

Chad taught me well. happy

I admit I am wondering where he is these days. sad

Cheers,

Lusty.

I followed the first part of that when I brewed mine but not so much the second part lolpinched When I do another one I will rectify that to some extent.

My tap water isn't really ideal for hoppy beers either without additions of sulfate, and that brew was done with untreated water, so that probably played some part in it as well. It didn't taste unbalanced, just not as hoppy as it should have been.

Brew Night is underway!

45 minutes left in the mash.

It's an English Ale

6kg MO

500g Light Crystal

60g Chocolate malt

40g Northern Brewer @60

20g EKG @ 10

20g EKG @ 5

30g EKG Dry hop 5 days

S-04 yeast.

No Chill and pop it into the FV probably tomorrow. I'm throwing in some French Oak Chips for 12 days.

I popped my grain mill's cherry too! It was surprisingly satisfying grinding through 6kg of MO in about 5 minutes. (2kg's at a time in the hopper) I set the roller gap at 0.88mm which was about average for BIABers from some reading and I'll adjust it from there. Now to plan how to use the remaining 19kg of MO!!happy

I followed the first part of that when I brewed mine but not so much the second part lolpinched When I do another one I will rectify that to some extent.

My tap water isn't really ideal for hoppy beers either without additions of sulfate' date=' and that brew was done with untreated water, so that probably played some part in it as well. It didn't taste unbalanced, just not as hoppy as it should have been.[/quote']

Ben10 has some really nice hop schedules with his IPA's & has brewed far more of them than I have. The only thing we seem to differ on when discussing them is the back-end bittering addition & it's importance.

I side with Chad about how the bitterness of an IPA should be created, whereas Ben appears a little more "New World" with his approach to the style, & I have no problem with that at all as I'm sure the beers are delicious, if just a little different than I would bitter them. innocent

Maybe I'm starting to show my age? unsurewhistling

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Ben10 has some really nice hop schedules with his IPA's & has brewed far more of them than I have. The only thing we seem to differ on when discussing them is the back-end bittering addition & it's importance.

Thanks for the kind words buddy!

I have a cracker of a RyeIPA, perhaps I should post you one of them with the sours?

How big is the batch size and what efficiency are you working off? Seems like a lot of grain is all' date=' unless you're going for a big beer.[/quote']

Hi mate,

It's a 25L batch going off 70% efficiency for an OG of 1.058.

Going off the pre boil reading, I should hit around 1.054. I wasnt sure with efficiency since I milled this grain and guesstimated the 70%. I had a bit too much strike water so let it boil for a bit before I started the timer to lessen the volume a tad.

Andrew

Cool' date=' looks like a nice recipe mate, hope it turns out well![/quote']

60 min addition is in and its smelling nice. I'll let you know!

Got a bit of an issue... I'm running out of beer!!

Home brew's gone (Should have prepared and put more bottles in the fridge!) And I'm half way through the only bought bottle I've got!!

Also a new addition to the brewery tools turned out bloody awesome! A pair of rubber washing up gloves to squeeze the bag! No burnt hands tonight! Woo!!cool

Yeah I got a pair of those big red PVC gloves for squeezing the bag although I don't usually use them because of my process of hanging the bag above a bucket to slowly drain while I bring the wort to the boil. I give it a good squeeze at around the 45 minutes left mark and by this point it's not too hot. I do use them to squeeze the bag when I do pilsners though as I squeeze the bag over the urn on those. I still collect any excess wort into a bucket anyway, but it's nowhere near as much.

It doesn't make much sense really, because at the end of the day whichever way I do it, it's still the same amount of wort being boiled. lol

Bavarian Pils is a go !

just getting into boil now and once again i've confused myself ...first runnings got me 15 l and an SG of 1.090 ... what the F$%^ ! ... even diluted i'm 7 point over expected boil gravity

upside is i have 5 litres of second and third runnings to boil down for real wort starters

Hi Headmaster.

The Maharaja Imperial IPA

Well this one has been going 12 days' date=' the massive dose of US05 I gave it (600ml of fresh compacted harvested yeast) made short work of the 1.088 OG, was 1.017 in 4 days, and now 1.015. My brewcipher sheet predicted FG 1.017.

Just took out the 240g of dry hops tonight after 4 days in. 20litres left after squeezing and removing the hops. This thing tastes like nothing I have ever experienced.. Crikey, the alcohol hit is noticeable and pleasurable, as is the body, but it has a good bitterness balance as well, hop flavours are infinitely strong and somewhere way off the charts.. Time to cold crash for a few days then bottle Can't wait till it's carbonated to properly sample one :-)[/quote']

The recipe always looked the goods & it sounds terrific! happy

My sorta beer. cool

I'll look forward to a pic & follow up when it's ready for sampling. wink

Good stuff!

Lusty.

Didn't manage to take a pic of the Maharaja, but did taste this brew on the weekend with some BBQ sausages.

Was excellent stuff, probably better suited to autumn or winter though, fairly heavy bodied, (FG was 1015) ABV up near 10.5%, hop bitterness was very well balanced, hop flavour and aroma as expected was enormous. Was smoother than I expected with a very creamy just off white coloured head which remained longer than I expected for this ABV level.

Pretty damn strong stuff, three standard drinks in one 330ml. You could taste the alcohol but was not in your face and worked well. The body and alcohol Reminded me of a Belgian tripel.

Back on the brewing scene after a busy couple of months not brewing anything!

Put down two brews last week.

Hopped up old school IPA

TC IPA kit can (the old one)

1.5kg Ldme

250g caramalt

250g special B

100g carapils

25g galaxy, 25g falconers flight, 25g azacca at 30 mins

15g each Same hops at 5 mins

Danstar bry97

23L batch fermenting at 18C controlled in the Glen Ridge.

No dry hopping for this fker.

Super Saison

Coopers Euro lager kit

1 kg ldme

100g carapils

50g special B

25g Sorachi Ace at 25 mins

25g Sorachi Ace at 5 mins

Belle saison yeast

23L batch fermenting at house ambient temp in Melbourne

Hopefully these ferment well and get me back on track for the festive season

Those brews look tasty Jonesy! I just got myself some Sorachi Ace to play around with.

Here’s my recipe for brew day on Saturday – I plan to have this kegged for the Christmas/Boxing day festivities.

Xmas Cheer APA

4.25 kg Gladfield American Ale Malt

1.00 kg Gladfield Supernova Malt

115g Gladfield Sour Grapes (Acid Malt)

10g Pacific Jade at 60 min

30g Cascade at 20 min

30g Cascade at 10 min

60g Citra at flameout

30g Cascade + 30g Citra dry hop

Nottingham Yeast

23 lt batch

Est OG – 1.048

Est IBU - ???? (no chill)

Supernova is a brand new specialty malt that was released by Gladfield in October. Info as follows:

Supernova malt is a new roasted malt from Gladfield that adds nutty, toasted caramel flavours to a beer. It can be used as a replacement for traditional crystal malts to change the flavour characteristics and reduce the beers residual sweetness. We start this malt with Canterbury winter barley and take it through our germination process before it is roasted to develop flavour and colour.

This is a great malt to be used in any beer style. We have already seen it used in Pilsners and IPAs between 10 – 25%. We also recommend its use in an Amber Ale up to 25%, it adds a rich depth of malty flavour and really makes this style shine. It goes well in a Porter up to 10-15%, complementing the darker roast malts and adding complexity. Also great for Pale Ales for great toasty caramel flavours that won’t overtake the hops, use 5-10%

Use: Adds toasted, caramel, nutty flavours to a beer

Rate: Up to 25%

95 - 135 EBC

Cheers & beers,

Mark

Hi guys.

I currently have some salvaged commercial yeast that I have stepped up from a bottle of Wild Beer Co. Epic Saison in a large flask coming up to room temperature, as well as the third (& last) 2 litre starter cooling to a suitable temperature to pitch the yeast into in preparation for a brew day tomorrow.

That brew will be the Coopers DIY Saison recipe with a very small twist of my own. biggrin

I enjoyed the Saaz in the DIY recipe version when I first brewed the beer, but have decided to use some Ella hops in place of the Saaz steep addition & dry hop with a little more Ella. Ella is more floral but still retains a spiciness like the Saaz so should work well. Other than that, the recipe remains the same, as I really enjoyed this beer just the way it is the last time I brewed it. joyful

The brew will be fermented under ambient conditions that suits this style of beer & the weather conditions are very good in my neck of the woods over the next week to help facilitate a good fermentation. I will however set up the interval timer to run a heat pad during the night time to maintain temperature.

I'll have to drag out the krausen collar & give it a good clean as I have had no need to use it for quite a while. These Saison strains are very active during fermentation so best to be on the safe side & have some extra head space in the fermenter. wink

I do have some Belle Saison yeast on standby in case something goes amiss with my stepped up Wild Beer Co. bottle conditioned yeast. Fingers crossed though that it all goes well, & the packet yeast is not required.

A ta santé!

Lusty.

Archived