Coopers Community

Best Beer Names

Chuznut

I was a little gutted the other day to have come up with the best name for a beer ever ('Hoptimus Prime') to only discover that someone else had already thought of it and used it.

Just curious what the best (or worst) beer names you've come across are?

I've got a pretty solid geek streak so I enjoy giving my beer a name and detailed description. Here's some of the current options:

Vie Elle: Classic Australian, smooth and easy to handle. 4.4% under the hood.

MH370: The mystery beer. Live a little, come fly with us.

Ebenezer Goode: Pils. 4.4% purity, will have you talking codshit to strangers.

Rusty Crow Pale Ale: At 5.5% you may feel like someone threw a phone at your head.

Invasion: They do love their cleansing, so no surprise the Germans like a crisp clear lager.

Well may you say I have too much time on my hands. Whatever. I have to put something on the tap labels.

PS: Love the name Cluster FXXX. Great job Ben.

As far as commercial examples go, "Old Engine Oil" was one that tickled my fancy a little.

I like to give my beers names that are pretty clever, but according to my wife, they're not all that clever and if you don't quite get the reference, they end up sounding a little silly. I haven't made every one of these beers yet, but I like to give the recipe a name for the day that I do:

Bullet Dodger (Russian Imperial Stout)

I'm a huge fan of the movie "Snatch", and always considered Boris the Blade (aka Boris the Sneaky F-ing Russian) to be one of my favourite characters, as well as the subject of one of my favourite lines in the movie:

Bullet Tooth Tony: "Boris the Blade? As in Boris the Bullet-Dodger?"

Avi: "Why do they call him the Bullet-Dodger?"

Bullet Tooth Tony: "...'cause he dodges bullets, Avi."

Bitter Victorian (Australian Lager)

This is a VB clone for the Father in Law that I haven't yet convinced myself to make. Hopefully I never have to make it, but it'll have a name if I do.

Jagged Little Pils (Hoppy Black Pilsner)

Who doesn't like a painfully-obvious Alanis Morissette reference with their black pils?

WTC ("What tastebuds crave!" -- Gose)

A reference to another of my favourite movies, "Idiocracy", since the recipe has salt in it (aka electrolytes!).

Bees, Bees, BEES! (Honey Witbier)

Because I am not all that creative and it has honey in it.

• 2 months later...

Thirsty Beaver - Tree Brewing Co, Kelowna, BC Canada.

Style: Amber Ale

Body: Medium

Alcohol: 5%

IBU: 20

Hops: Perle, Cascade

Malt: Pale, Dark Munich, Crystal

Notes: Distinct malt character with caramel and nut undertones

Food Pairing: Chicken, Seafood, Burgers, Cheddar Cheese

Experimenting Size(s):

500ml cans, draught

Awards:

Silver Medalist - Canadian Brewing Awards 2012

Bronze Medalist - Canadian Brewing Awards 2011

• 1 month later...

when we were 16 and thought we were so f@#$ing clever to be able to make home brewed sambucca

we called it Renepogel , made up labels with dodgy cyrillic looking characters so wasn't until end of the night you read the label upside down and backwards to see it read ...well think about it

i named my brewery here in honour of a well spent youth , riding bikes , footy , mates and almost begging girls to let me see their ...ears or something

Damn you, Henry! Or your cat. Or whatever.

I've already planned my fourth iteration of a Wee Heavy, and it's working title is "Moonlickt Nickt Tonickt". Now you and your menagerie will think I'm taking the piss if I call it that.

I hope you get feline 'flu.

XXXX - And I'm a Queenslander biggrin

I've always thought Bridge Road's BLING IPAs had a pretty clever name.

Brew Cult - (IPAs & Hops are awesome) THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.

Brecult_Thanks_Captain_Obvious.png

Sorry just can't resist; didn't XXXX get the name because most Queenslanders are illiterate?

Not a beer, but I'm fond of the name 2 dogs for an alcoholic lemonade from back a couple of decades ago (not sure if they still make it), the name alluded to a joke about a native American named 2 dogs f&*(ing, because that's what his mother saw as she was giving birth; hence the reference in the ads at the time "Why do you ask?"

• 3 weeks later...

I'd completely forgotten: Lord Nelson Brewery; Three Sheets.

At 4.9% it doesn't really get you three sheets to the wind, unless you drink a bit more than you should, but it's a good sessionable beer, even if it is in the higher price range compared to some sessionable brews.

http://www.lordnelsonbrewery.com/ales/

Love the name, & a very nice drop too.

• 5 months later...

How about a Tijuana wall? A Mexican cervaza ,inspired by Donald Trump. Not funny? Sorry, this current australian election is just bugging me. What about a labour lager? Union brewed,cost blow out's!. Or a liberal draught? served in no convenient social setting, and as ice cold as your mother inlaws breath! Or a greens brown ale.....maybe i shouldn't go there. Here's to democracy, enough to give you a nasty hangover!

Archived