Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2015

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The recipe looks good Ben. smile

That's a huge amount of hops for 20 litres. That's like $12-15 of hopsw00t. That's more hops than I might use in 120 litres of beer!

Ben was pretty much forced into those quantities when chasing high IBU's using low alpha hops like EKG & Fuggle.

Anyways Canuck' date=' when did you transform into a hop wussy?!! [img']tongue[/img] sadunsure

That's so unlike you! wink

Good luck with the brew Ben! cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi people's,

Put down a left over brew last night, aiming for a lower alcohol easy drinking beer not sure how it will turn out.

1kg light lme

1kg wheat lme

500g light dme

250g dextrose

250g medium crystal

15g magnum @ 30 mins

5g cascade @ 30 mins

20g galaxy @10 mins

20g galaxy @ 0 mins

US-05

Will dry hop with 20g galaxy

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cheers

Tom

Brew day today! happy

Nice easy extract with a fresh grain steep.

Coopers Amber Malt Extract 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt extract 1kg

Light Crystal grain 250gms

CaraHell grain 250gms

Pride of Ringwood 15gms/Mt. Hood 10gms @ 60mins

Cascade 15gms @ 15mins

Chinook, Simcoe, Cascade 20gms each hop tea @ 75-80°C for 30mins

Centennial & Ahtanum 25gms dry hopped

Re-hydrated US-05 yeast

Brewed to 21 litres

OG = approx. 1.047

FG = approx. 1.012

EBC = 24.0

IBU = 29.9

Kegged ABV = 4.5%

Have the current ROTM pack arriving sometime this week, & will likely put that down this coming Sunday.

200_s.gif

It's rabbit season, no it's duck season, rabbit season, duck season, rabbit season, duck season,....

...NO, IT'S BEER SEASON!! biggrin

I love this time of year! cool

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Since I found a bag of about 200g Cascade in the freezer the other day, I'm doing another batch of my Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone on Saturday, to be fermented after the current Bo Pils is kegged/bottled. Fermenting with harvested US-05 @ 18C. I realise the flameout hops will contribute bitterness, especially given that I no-chill in cubes, but I find when I construct the recipe to leave them out of the equation that it turns out pretty much identical to the original beer. The only real difference is that mine is a bit darker due to the crystal used, but the flavour/aroma is spot on.

Type: All Grain

Batch Size: 25.00 l

Boil Size: 34.14 l

Boil Time: 75 min

End of Boil Vol: 28.08 l

Equipment: Electric Urn (10 Gal/40 L) - BIAB

Efficiency: 72.50 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 78.3 %

Ingredients

5.220 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 92.1 %

0.450 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 2 7.9 %

Mash for 90 minutes at 66-67C.

17.00 g Magnum {12.20 %} - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 21.1 IBUs

19.00 g Perle {7.00 %} - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 10.4 IBUs

30.00 g Cascade {5.60 %} - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 6.2 IBUs

60.00 g Cascade {5.60 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs

Harvested US-05 yeast

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %

Bitterness: 37.7 IBUs

Est Color: 19.7 EBC

Looking forward to this one - I can use my SNPA tap handle on that keg when it's done. biggrin

Cheers

Kelsey

Yum yum yum. You certainly know how to put down a very tasty session beer.

Thanks Antsi. smile Pretty safe with that hop group. The difference between making a good hoppy beer & a great hoppy beer is really about where & how much of them you use at various points in the boil & beyond' date=' then how that all comes together.

There are quite a number of methods at a brewers' disposal in regard to hop scheduling to achieve a variety of outcomes. I can think of 5 just off the top of my head. To me it is the most fascinating area of brewing. [img']cool[/img]

I'm sure I vowed about 12 months ago to get some ahtanum and try it' date=' but alas, I'm a lazy bugger.[/quote']

I remember saying something very similar about getting some Rakau to try it, but still haven't gotten around to it. whistling

And you're wrong on both counts. It's Lust season.

It's always Lust season! wink

Cheers & good brewing' date='

Lusty.[/size']

I bottled up my Kumquat Hefeweizen tonight. It stabilized at a FG of 1.005, and the gravity sample tasted crisp, light and a little bit tangy, with the kumquat flavour fairly prominent at the moment. I've been taking gravity samples every couple of days and the kumquat flavour has been slowly intensifying. There's still a tiny bit of sulfur evident, but from reports this should condition out fairly quickly. For this batch I bulk-primed at a rate that Beersmith says will give me ~3 vols of CO2 ... aiming for a nice fizzy refresher for the warm weather! This one was a bit of an experiment, I'll be interested see how it turns out.

I saved some beer in the fermenter, swirled up the yeast and harvested a litre of thin slurry which is now in the fridge. All ready for the dunkelweizen I'll be brewing next week!

Edit: Sounds like a tasty brew Lusty, but don't you find PoR a bit boring for bittering? devilinnocent

Sorry ... couldn't resist.

Edit: Sounds like a tasty brew Lusty' date=' but don't you find PoR a bit boring for bittering? [img']devil[/img]innocent

Sorry ... couldn't resist.

lol

Not as boring as Magnum! tongue

Truth be known, I had some left over from my Coopers Commercial Draught re-creation attempt that needed to be used up.

Congrats on the kumquat brew John. Just a word of warning with it though. Kumquats are good for the digestive system & said to help keep you "regular". I would be mindful not to drink too many of them in one sitting, or you could have it coming out of both ends! tonguelol

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Putting this down tonight, a nice quick brew :)

Mark's EB Porter

1.7kg EB Tin

1kg LDM

150g Dry Wheat Malt

250g Chocolate Malt

200g Caramunich

150g Dark Crystal

50g Carafa III

Nottingham Yeasties

21 litre batch

This is a bit of a surprise for me: An ESB!

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 46.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.060 SG

Estimated Color: 13.0 EBC

Estimated IBU: 38.8 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 87.0 %

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name %/IBU

7.50 kg Pale Ale Malt (Muntons) (5.9 EBC) 65.8 %

2.50 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) 21.9 %

0.50 kg Carahell (25.0 EBC) 4.4 %

0.50 kg Carared (50.0 EBC) 4.4 %

0.20 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) 1.8 %

0.20 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) 1.8 %

25.00 g Apollo [18.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min 26.4 IBUs

35.00 g Fuggles [5.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min 6.8 IBUs

40.00 g Bramling Cross [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 3.6 IBUs

30.00 g Fuggles [5.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 1.9 IBUs

WLP005 (Britsh Ale Yeast)

And because everyone knows I'm already a boring fart, I can use whatever damn bittering hop I want!

Edit added 5:00 pm: I've really got to do something about stocktake and inventory control (maybe Lusty is willing to do some off the books consultancy work?). Nearly 25 mins into the boil and getting out the next hop addition, and I can't bloody find any fuggles at all (I'm meant to have 100g in the freezer). So quick recipe change to:

35g Bramling Cross @30

40g Bramling Cross @10

30g Styrian Goldings @whirlpool for 15 mins.

I hate that!

Congrats on the kumquat brew John. Just a word of warning with it though. Kumquats are good for the digestive system & said to help keep you "regular". I would be mindful not to drink too many of them in one sitting' date=' or you could have it coming out of both ends! [img']tongue[/img] lol

Haha they should be pretty lethal combined with all the suspended yeast in a hefeweizen then!

...Nearly 25 mins into the boil and getting out the next hop addition' date=' and I can't bloody find any fuggles at all (I'm meant to have 100g in the freezer).[/quote']

They're probably where all hops get lost..........in Kelsey's freezer! tonguelol

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Biere de Garde

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.071 SG

Estimated Color: 28.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 26.5 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

2.50 g Epsom Sal

2.50 g Gypsum

1.50 g Calcium Chloride

4.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston)

2.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann)

0.30 kg Gladfield Toffee Malt

0.10 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann)

0.05 kg Gladfield Roast Barley

20.00 g Dana [13.90 %] - First Wort 60.0 min

...Nearly 25 mins into the boil and getting out the next hop addition' date=' and I can't bloody find any fuggles at all (I'm meant to have 100g in the freezer).[/quote']

They're probably where all hops get lost..........in Kelsey's freezer!

You, Otter, are an absolute bastard! Give me back my hops! Now!

I'm waiting for :

- the Coopers Saison to have had at least three weeks in the bottles before I will have a tester, on its second week.

- the somewhat failed Little Creatures Clone - had Saaz not Cascade hobs in house (my mistake) - to finish its time in the FV, so -

- the Coopers Marilyn Secret can get its time in the FV (the joy of only having room for one FV)

All this waiting for your beer to brew and condition, will lead a man to drink.

/568

Brew day!!

Timmy's Best Bitter

88% ESB malt (Gambrinus)

9% Carastan 35L

2.2% Chocolate Malt (colour adjustment)

21 IBU Challenger 60mins

7 IBU Target 60min

2 IBU Fuggle 15min

1.5 IBU EKG 15mins

1.5 IBU EKG 1mins

WLP002

100% RO water

Water treatment for profile Ca: 85 Mg: 9.5 Na: 17.6 SO4:178.8 Cl: 46.3 HCO3: 45.8

OG: 1.044 Mash: 66-68C IBU: 33 ECB:22

I love brewing English ales!smile

Brew day!!

Timmy's Best Bitter

88% ESB malt (Gambrinus)

9% Carastan 35L

I like how you don't give everything away and make people guess what the remaining 0.8% of the grain bill is tongue

It looks nice though.

Brew day!!

Timmy's Best Bitter

88% ESB malt (Gambrinus)

9% Carastan 35L

I like how you don't give everything away and make people guess what the remaining 0.8% of the grain bill is tongue

It looks nice though.

I thought somebody would comment about thatrolleyes

What is Carastan? Looks like a nice brew though Chad. happy

I brewed another of my SNPA clones on Saturday, which went well. I decided to periodically stir the mash during the 90 minutes this time, probably stirred it 3 times and then also another two times before and after ramping up for mash out. I ended up getting a pre-boil SG of 1 point more than Beersmith predicted (same pre-boil volume), so I'll continue the stirring procedure from now on I think. I wasn't able to get a post boil SG this time, so I'll have to wait until I transfer it to the FV to get that reading.

I seem to be getting more trub in the urn post-boil lately for some reason, which is a bit annoying because it doesn't allow me to fully fill my cubes. This appears to have coincided with using a bigger dose of Brewbrite... maybe I'll go back to a smaller amount next brew and see what happens given that I use other finings post fermentation anyway. Ingredients haven't been any different aside from the pilsners; ales are the same malts I've always used. Weird. unsure

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived