• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brew day!!

Timmy's Best Bitter

88% ESB malt (Gambrinus)

9% Carastan 35L

2.2% Chocolate Malt (colour adjustment)

I like how you don't give everything away and make people guess what the remaining 0.8% of the grain bill is tongue

The unnamed portion is love Hairy. You've gotta leave some room for that! tonguewink

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Brew day!!

Timmy's Best Bitter

88% ESB malt (Gambrinus)

9% Carastan 35L

2.2% Chocolate Malt (colour adjustment)

21 IBU Challenger 60mins

7 IBU Target 60min

2 IBU Fuggle 15min

1.5 IBU EKG 15mins

1.5 IBU EKG 1mins

WLP002

100% RO water

Water treatment for profile Ca: 85 Mg: 9.5 Na: 17.6 SO4:178.8 Cl: 46.3 HCO3: 45.8

OG: 1.044 Mash: 66-68C IBU: 33 ECB:22

I love brewing English ales!smile

love Me too

Hi Guys,

Brew Day Sunday,

BORN AND RAISED IN FNQ ALE

1.7 Kg Morgan's Queenslander Gold

0.5 Kg LDM

30 g Cluster @ flameout (30 min steep)

Notto yeast (Pitched and fermented @ 18C)

23L

OG 1031 FG (est) 1008 IBU 23 Abv 3% keg 3.4% bottle.

XXXX Gold is a guilty pleasure of minebandit

IPA

1.7 Kg Coopers IPA

1 Kg LDM

30 g Centennial @ flameout (30+ Mins steep)

25 g Centennial dry

25 g Citra dry

25 g Chinook dry

US05 (pitched and fermented @ 18C)

21 L

OG 1043 FG(est) 1011 IBU 43 Abv 4.2% keg 4.6% bottle

Both brews fermenting away nicely ATM. I am going to have to increase my fermentables in future brews as I am now kegging w00t, to reach the desired Abv. Something I didn't consider when putting these brews together.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave.

Nice looking IPA. cool That Notto yeast should do very well for something like a XXXX gold type brew.

Both brews fermenting away nicely ATM. I am going to have to increase my fermentables in future brews as I am now kegging w00t' date=' to reach the desired Abv. Something I didn't consider when putting these brews together. [/quote']

Yeah it's an added bonus when switching to kegging beer. As you are not using a priming sugar, that extra 0.3-0.4%ABV can be used for other malts in your recipe, giving a fuller flavour at the same ABV% of bottled beer that uses sugar/dextrose to carbonate the beer.

It's not as noticeable with higher ABV beers, but for light to mid-strength beers especially, every bit of malt you can cram into them helps improve their flavour. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yeah agreed, I also sort of forgot about that when I began kegging, although I've also kind of gone the other way with it - for my red ale and pilsner I've left the recipes the same and sacrificed the 0.4% of alcohol, because the recipes are fine and how I want them as they are. The pilsner was actually too high an ABV when it was bottled, so it's got back to where I want it kegging it.

For pale ales I have increased the base malt by 500g though, to keep them in the 4.5-5% range and give them a bit more maltiness and body. This worked well on the latest one (Mosaic pale). happy

So yeah, I guess for me it depends on the beer. I've yet to do a dark beer since kegging but once I build a stockpile of kegged beers, I will brew one. Dunno what I'll do for a recipe yet but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. cool

Cheers

Kelsey

It's not as noticeable with higher ABV beers' date=' but for light to mid-strength beers especially, every bit of malt you can cram into them helps improve their flavour. [img']wink[/img]

All grain is different as we have the advantage of manipulating enzyme action.

I bottle prime and have no issue using simple sugars even with the odd mild.

Hi Ben. smile

It's not as noticeable with higher ABV beers' date=' but for light to mid-strength beers especially, every bit of malt you can cram into them helps improve their flavour. [img']wink[/img]

All grain is different as we have the advantage of manipulating enzyme action.

I bottle prime and have no issue using simple sugars even with the odd mild.

Agreed you can manipulate final ABV with your mash temps, but that is to do with altering Final Gravity, that affects body & mouthfeel etc. more so than increasing malt character. Being able to add extra amounts of malt onto a recipe you originally primed with sugar should be looked at as really a freebie.

For those that don't have the ability to keg beer, but would like to see the difference with what I'm talking about, then simply bulk prime your brew with a dry malt extract instead of sugar/dextrose at the suited dry malt extract equivalent priming rates for your recipe.

As mentioned previously, in lower ABV beers it is noticeable. For beers above approx. 5.0%ABV I admit it's less noticeable, & not really worth worrying about.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Tonight I brewed a dunkelweizen as follows.

Grain

58.1% wheat malt

27.7% munich malt

8.2% pils malt

4.2% caramunich II malt

1.8% chocolate malt

Hops

Hallertauer Mittelfrueh @FWH to 15.6 IBUs

Process

90 minute full volume BIAB mash @66C

60 minute boil

No-chill

Stats

Volume: 10.5 litres target (11 litres measured)

OG: 1.053 target (1.043 measured)

Est colour: 31.1 EBC

Bitterness: 15.6 IBUs

I'll be repitching WLP351 into this. Also, I think I'm going to go back to batch sparging in my cooler. Full volume BIAB is very convenient but the efficiency I'm getting is pretty ordinary.

Hm, yeah 10 points under your target OG is a bit of a concern. crying

I'd been having a small efficiency problem over the last few brews but nothing like that. Last brew day I decided to stir the mash periodically over the 90 minutes plus just before, while ramping up to and after mash out, which got it back to where it normally is. I reckon in your case though going back to the sparging might have more success!

Uni's over and the little bloke is a few months old now, must be time to get brewing again.

Hoping to get these done on Sunday -- will probably cube the Pale and pitch the IPA first:

Pehle Ehle 2: Son of CPA

(a second Craft variation of Chad's OS Draught Pale Ale)

1/2 OS Draught

600g Light DME

100g Med Crystal

US-05

60g Cascade @ 5m

20g Cascade @ dry-hop

10.5L batch

OG/FG: 1.048 / 1.012

IBU: ~40

EBC: ~15

BV: ~1.7

ABV: 5.1% (bottled)

Hirsute IPA

(a Craft variation of Hairy's OS Draught IPA)

1/2 OS Draught

750g Briess Munich LME

250g Wheat DME

250g Med Crystal

150g Victory Malt (steeped not mashed)

US-05

Amarillo & Centennial 5g @ 15m

Amarillo & Centennial 5g @ 10m

Amarillo & Centennial 10g @ 5m

Centennial 20g @ dry-hop

10.5L batch

OG/FG: 1.062 / 1.016

IBU: ~54

EBC: ~34

BV: ~1.8

ABV: 6.5% (bottled)

Putting this one down nice and early tomorrow. Should be ready just in time for some easy summer drinking methinks...no prizes for guessing what it's modelled on biggrin

Type: All Grain

Batch Size (fermenter): 27.00 l Brewer: Ken

Boil Size: 35.00

Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: 01 - Kens Crown Urn BIAB NoChill

End of Boil Volume 30.00 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Final Bottling Volume: 26.00 l Est Mash Efficiency 74.8 %

Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage

Ingredients

Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.29 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 59.6 %

2.11 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 2 38.3 %

0.12 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 2.1 %

15.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 14.4 IBUs

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -

15.00 g Galaxy [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 6 5.8 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7 -

70.00 g Galaxy [14.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.7

Bitterness: 20.2 IBUs

Est Color: 7.4 EBC

Mash Profile

Mash In Add 37.00 l of water at 68.5 C 66.0 C 90 min

edit: LHBS is out of pellets so will be using flowers for the first time as well ... could be interesting

...LHBS is out of pellets so will be using flowers for the first time as well ... could be interesting

Wort loss to hop absorption is higher when using flowers over pellets' date=' but I wouldn't think that will be a huge factor with your quantities here. I've used plugs a number of times & they certainly held more wort than my pellets did.

Good luck with the S&W Pacific Ale clone. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

Doing another brew day on Saturday, this one is a first for me - an IPA. I hope I have enough Centennial hops, otherwise I'll have to substitute those ones with something else (will check the freezer tomorrow), but this is what I've come up with so far. I basically just created a pale ale like I normally would but made it stronger, and went with Ben's method of aiming for the IBUs to match the OG number. It's an experiment really but if my past experiments are anything to go by, it should turn out pretty well.

Type: All Grain

Batch Size: 25.00 l

Boil Size: 34.14 l

Boil Time: 75 min

End of Boil Vol: 28.08 l

Final Bottling Vol: 24.00 l

Equipment: Electric Urn (10 Gal/40 L) - BIAB

Efficiency: 72.50 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 78.3 %

Ingredients

6.500 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 94.2 %

0.400 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 2 5.8 %

Mashed at 65-66C for 90 minutes

20.00 g Mosaic {11.70 %} - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 3 25.2 IBUs

30.00 g Centennial {10.00 %} - Boil 10.0 min Hop 4 10.2 IBUs

30.00 g Mosaic {11.70 %} - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 11.9 IBUs

30.00 g Centennial {10.00 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 6 7.0 IBUs

30.00 g Mosaic {11.70 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 7 8.2 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 8 -

30.00 g Centennial {10.00 %} - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

30.00 g Mosaic {11.70 %} - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.7 %

Bitterness: 62.5 IBUs

Est Color: 19.6 EBC

Cheers

Kelsey

Hi Kelsey.

The Otto man making an IPA? w00ttongue Is the world coming to an end? unsure

When I look at some of the AG hop schedules lately, they really are very different to the way I construct hop schedules due to the different brewing methods we use, particularly with how we approach cooling/not cooling the wort post flameout. Now that a number of us are disclosing these methods in a little more detail it does throw up a lot of different scenarios & approaches. Interesting stuff! cool

Nice hops for an IPA. I hope your one packet of US-05 gets through the 1.063 OG ok? unsure

Good luck with the brew, & be prepared for some new hair on your chest! lol

biggrin

P.S. Is anyone else finding this thread slow & lagging?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty,

Firstly, yes I do find it takes a little longer to load when hitting the add reply button, not so much when simply loading the thread to read though.

lol My missus suggested it when I was talking to her on Monday about what I wanted to brew this weekend, so I thought why not, might as well give it a go. A minor secondary reason is to use up more of the MO that's in the grain bin so I can move the other sack into it quicker.

I best go check if there is enough Centennial down there unsure, otherwise I have Cascade but I want to save that for a red ale, and Super Galena which may work. Not quite enough Chinook for that schedule I don't think. I have a fair amount of Fuggles and UK Goldings but I want to save those for an English ale. Yes, the yeast will be fine, I am using harvested yeast that I'll build up in a starter (it's just Beersmith shows it as 1 package).

Anyways, thanks mate. happy Hopefully it turns out pretty well.

Sorry Lusty there is still another month and a half before the 2016 edition of Brew day...!!?? come out!biggrin

That IPA looks good, Otto. I agree that those hops work well together. Maybe mix a little Amarillo in if you have it. Otherwise, Cascade will work. I'd throw some Oak chips at it if I were you. It'll blow your mind!!!wink

Thanks Chad happy

I have no Amarillo at this stage. Or oak chips for that matter. I have no way of getting oak chips before Saturday (trying to kick a flu at the moment) but if this turns out well and I decide to brew it again at some point' date=' I'll definitely give them a go. [img']biggrin[/img]

You can add the Oak chips later like a dry hop. In fact my last Oaked ale was oaked twice. Once at ferment and again after about a month. It was a Mosaic, Centennial, Amarillo Dark IPA (CDA). It is one of the best beers I have ever made.I've still got a glass or so in the keg but I don't want it to end. I'll be brewing it again real soon.

Don't mind me, I'm just a bit off with the fairies with this cold/flu thing.. always does it to me. pinchedlol

Since I'm no-chilling and have another batch to go in to ferment before this IPA, I would of course be able to get oak chips for it. However, being the first ever IPA I've done I'll still leave them out of this batch, but yeah if it goes well I'll brew it again with oak chips that time. That'll also give me a comparison sort of thing too, to see how they impact it which would be cool.

Don't mind me' date=' I'm just a bit off with the fairies with this cold/flu thing.. always does it to me. [img']pinched[/img] lol

Since I'm no-chilling and have another batch to go in to ferment before this IPA, I would of course be able to get oak chips for it. However, being the first ever IPA I've done I'll still leave them out of this batch, but yeah if it goes well I'll brew it again with oak chips that time. That'll also give me a comparison sort of thing too, to see how they impact it which would be cool.

That's why I like brewing 10 gallon batches. I can brew one with and one without.smile

Archived