Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2015

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys,

I have been interested in partigyling for awhile. I have done some pseudo-partigyling in the past with DME additions to the 2nd runnings to boost the OG to something reasonable.

This was my real first attempt at two 20 Litre brews with predicted out comes. My brewing friend had some, but limited experience with the technique. He knew how to calculate the outcome.

We originally built the recipe with intentions of an Old ale with the 1st runnings(OG 1.060ish), and a Mild ale with the 2nd (OG 1.036). I wanted to bottle and cellar the old ale at least until Xmas. The original recipe was hopped with Challanger/Fuggles. We really had to scale back a lot of the colour in the recipe so the Old ale wouldn't be the colour of a stout. This meant no chocolate malt, no Medium crystal. This is why I choice Honey malt. It adds the sweetness of Crystal malt with out the colour (Honey flavour vs. Caramel flavour).

The hops bill was purely a decision made on the fly after the Partigyle plan with aborted because I already have a Victory/ Challenger ESB in the FVs. We went with the big Late Cascade addition just for some fun and to do something different. By the sample, after a week it IS a smasher!

I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Wanted to try another hoppy mid and get rid of left over grains so I have started this

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract

850g Caramalt

500g Caramunich 3

15g Magnum @ 60 min

20g Galaxy @ 10 min

20g Mosaic @ 10 min

10g Galaxy @ 5 min

10g Mosaic @ 5 min

Nottingham Yeast

21 litre batch, EST OG - 1.040, FG - 1.011, IBU - 44.5, EBC - 25.1

Hoping my Stocktake IPA is carbed up this arvo so I can have a couple whilst doing the boil.

Cheers

Gotta admit, Brownpants, I hope you do get it down as far as 1.011, but it just looks like a lot of specialty malt for one little can. I don't spose you've got about 500g or a kilo of LDM to sub for some of it. Others differ of course, but I like Hairy's suggestion from a few years back to try to limit it to 350 or maybe 400g tops in 23 litres.

Hoping my Stocktake IPA is carbed up this arvo so I can have a couple whilst doing the boil.

Woohoo! At last Mrs Brownpants is insisting you take a bath, huh? She must be a great and powerful woman!

G'day Anti,

Yes I usually stick to 500g and under but I'm a bit like a bull at a gate sometimes and just went ahead blindly wanting to clear out my old grains.

I steeped the grains in 6 litres of water @ around 68C for an hour or so and was just about to do the boil, what do you reckon the outcome would be like if I went ahead with the recipe above?

Cheers

If you calculated it with some brewing software, Ugly, then it should turn out OK, I suppose. I'm just a bit surprised since IIRC Caramunich III is about an EBC of 150-odd (???), which if I had to guess would only give about mid-high 50s attenuation, and I have no idea how dark Caramalt is.

The first thing that came into my confused little brain was an FG of around the high teens with those quantities and a can of malt. But irrespective, the entire Hunter region wants to thank your good wife!

Hey' date=' brew day last night!

My first IPA:

[b']IPA Triple C - 21L[/b]

Thomas Coopers IPA

1kg light dry malt

1x Safale US-05

10g Chinook

10g Citra

10g Cascade AU

Method:

Added 900g light dry malt into FV.

Added 1.5L hot kettle water & swirled as instructed.

Time check 9:30pm

Added IPA can.

Start rehydrating yeast.

Put 100g malt & 1L boiling water into empty IPA can, mixed with spoon.

Placed the 30g of hops into hop bag and put this into the steeping vessel “Mr IPA can” & covered with aluminium foil & let steep for 10 mins.

Added steeping liquid into FV and topped with cold water to 21L

Wort temp = 24deg.

Check baby monitor, yes she’s still sleeping.

OG sample = 1045 (nice!)

Took FV to the shed & placed into temp controlled fridge sitting at 16deg, adjusted settings to 18deg.

Pitched yeast/cream into FV, bang the lid on. All done.

Time check 10:30pm

4 days prior to bottling this batch I’ll be dry hopping 30g Chinook, 30g Citra, 30g Cascade.

Cheers,

Mr Jones

Yep, dry hopped this about 8 days ago as previously mentioned.

Today I racked to secondary FV with 75g white sugar on the bottom of secondary.

Geez the hops were thirsty, absorbed about 2L. Trub had something to do with it also I assume.

Will leave this for 2 weeks as is in the brew fridge as I've got a nut brown ale in there too at around day 9 of fermentation. I'll just rack it without sugar then start cold conditioning both at 1 deg for 7 days or so. Oh yeah and I dry hopped the brown ale with 30g Palisade and 15g Fuggles.

Cheers everyone, have a good one!

Wanted to try another hoppy mid and get rid of left over grains so I have started this

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract

850g Caramalt

500g Caramunich 3

15g Magnum @ 60 min

20g Galaxy @ 10 min

20g Mosaic @ 10 min

10g Galaxy @ 5 min

10g Mosaic @ 5 min

Nottingham Yeast

21 litre batch' date=' EST OG - 1.040, FG - 1.011, IBU - 44.5, EBC - 25.1

Cheers [/quote']

Most of this has already been covered by Antiphile but I agree with him. Looking at the recipe it looks a bit unbalanced with too much spec malt and you will probably finish higher than 1011. Although sometimes Notto can be a beast with attenuation.

But that is all based on just looking at the recipe; I have never brewed something like this. I may be wrong. Let me know how it goes.

Something like this tomorrow with some salt additions

Recipe: Bitter n Twisted

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.054 SG

Estimated Color: 26.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 35.8 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

5.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 95.2 %

0.20 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 2 3.8 %

0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1000.8 Grain 3 1.0 %

25.00 g Challenger [8.30 %] - First Wort 60.0 mi Hop 4 22.6 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -

50.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [4.60 %] - Stee Hop 6 6.9 IBUs

50.00 g Fuggles [4.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 7 6.3 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body

Total Grain Weight: 5.25 kg

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time

Saccharification Add 33.21 l of water at 70.5 C 66.7 C 75 min

Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ben.

Nice looking malt bill for this style of beer given your OG. Interesting heavy late hopping for a beer style that is normally malt orientated at the glass.

I like hoppy beers, so WGAF what the model is. wink

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

I put together the Evil Dog Double IPA kit yesterday. The plastic sack the malt and barley extract comes in is much easier to work with than cans. It pours and cleans out nicely. My OG was 1065 so it should finish strong. I pitched the provided yeast kit which was 21g. I smelled it before pitching it (like the Cooper's video says) and it smelled a little off to me. I am use to using US-05 with its clean straw like smell so I asked the opinion of two other people in the house at the time. Both thought it smelled fine. Today after work I looked into the FV and the yeast is floating at the top and looks like a pancake before it is cooked. I am not really worried yet. This is my 12th kit since Nov and have never seen yeast just sit there like that. The FV is at 20°c sitting nicely next to a cascade draught I did last week. I burped the FV and it smells fine. The kit says it contains genuine slow fermenting varietal brewers beer yeast so I will keep you posted on how slow slow fermenting really is.

Changed the recipe a little...

Recipe: Bitter n Twisted

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.054 SG

Estimated Color: 26.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 42.8 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.30 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

1.65 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

1.65 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 3 -

5.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 95.2 %

0.20 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 5 3.8 %

0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1000.8 Grain 6 1.0 %

40.00 g Challenger [8.30 %] - First Wort 60.0 mi Hop 7 36.2 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -

25.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [4.60 %] - Stee Hop 9 3.5 IBUs

25.00 g Fuggles [4.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 10 3.2 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MJ's British Ale

Brewday! happy

I didn't feel like a long session mucking around with grains today, but the beer train must roll on. wink

I grabbed a new hop (for me) the other day, so thought I'd see what it's like.

Coopers Pale Ale 1.7kg

LDM 1kg

Dextrose 100gms

Waimea 17.5%AA 30gms (1.5ltr hop tea for 30mins)

Waimea 30gms dry hopped

Re-hydrated US-05 yeast

Ferment @ 19°C

Brewed to 21 litres

Waimea: Intense Tangelo, citrusy, pine needles. Smelled very perfume-like to me. Highly aromatic.

Will update down the track.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Brewday! happy

I didn't feel like a long session mucking around with grains today' date=' but the the beer train must roll on. [img']wink[/img]

Good to see you have had a nice sleep in to recover from last night biggrin Sounded like quite a party for one!

Tonight I'm brewing my Hoppy Red Lager. I'll edit this post to update proceedings. The recipe is as follows:

Grain

2500g Best Malz Red X

100g Weyerman Carapils

Hops

5g Centennial @FWH

8g Centennial @5mins

10g Centennial @flameout (steep 15 mins)

Mash

Step 1 - 53C for 30mins

Step 2 - 65C for 30mins

Step 3 - 72C for 30 mins

Step 4 - batch sparge with 85C water for mash-out

The proceedings:

• Pint of Amber Ale poured. Nice!
  • Bugger, National Homebrew were too generous and gave me a bonus 83g of grain. I'll leave out the 100g Carapils I had planned to add in then.
  • Bugger, mash step 1 resulted in a grain bed temp of 60C, keep stirring! Note to self - 4 litres of water in 2.583kg of grain is a very thick mash, try at least 2x grain weight on mash in next time.
  • Whew, that last bit was hectic, thank goodness dinner is a microwave reheat. Let's have another pint of Amber Ale with that. Nice!
  • Bugger, if I leave my dinner to go and check the temp of the water for the next mash step the cat's going to eat it all!
  • One lick was all it took to convince her that it's waaaaaay to spicy.
  • Bugger! The timer went off for mash step 2 before the water was up to temp ... ended up 1C low @64C ... never mind. Having a Sapporo with this mash step.
  • Bugger, the trend continues ... ended up 1C low for the next mash step @71C ... never mind. Move on to a Brewcult Hop Zone Session IPA for this mash step.
  • Man this mash step is taking a while ... hope the sparge water gets up to temp in time. Time to go back to the much tastier Amber Ale happy
  • Alright! Batch sparge step to mashout temps successful, resting at 80C for 10 minutes. Man this Amber Ale is good ... I never used to be a fan of Ambers but Lusty's recipe opened my eyes.
  • Ok, into the boil! Looks like a good volume collected so let's get a vigorous boil going. May as well clean the mash tun while this is going.
  • Ok, boil's done and 5 minute / flameout hops are doing their thing. Siphon and cube are all ready and sanitized and good to go.
  • And all cleaned up and done ... the 90 minute step mash and mash-out sparge put me a little bit over on efficiency again. I got an OG of 1.055 in about 11 litres of wort - my cube is full to the brim this time. It's very nice looking wort too!

Bugger' date=' mash step 1 resulted in a grain bed temp of 60C, keep stirring! Note to self - 4 litres of water in [b']2.583kg of brain[/b] is...

...probably not conducive to good thought patterns, especially while brewing! lol

No wonder you're having such a hard time there John! tongue

You must be one clever buggar with a brain that weighs 2.5kgs given the average human brain weighs around 1-1.5kgs! Heading towards elephant territory there mate! biggrin

Don't worry about the water all over the place, maybe the cat will clean it up? unsurewink

Good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

Bugger' date=' mash step 1 resulted in a grain bed temp of 60C, keep stirring! Note to self - 4 litres of water in [b']2.583kg of brain[/b] is...

...probably not conducive to good thought patterns, especially while brewing! lol

No wonder you're having such a hard time there John! tongue

You must be one clever buggar with a brain that weighs 2.5kgs given the average human brain weighs around 1-1.5kgs! Heading towards elephant territory there mate! biggrin

Don't worry about the water all over the place, maybe the cat will clean it up? unsurewink

Good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

Hahaha Lusty, good pickup ... I am definitely using all the available brainpower (< 2.853kg for sure) for this brew!

I know from experience that I can't rely on the cat or wife to clean up ... that's for sure!

Archived