Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2015

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G'day Chad, hope you are well! smile

Sorry Lusty there is still another month and a half before the 2016 edition of Brew day...!!?? come out!biggrin

Have Coopers given you outright ownership of this thread to the point you are housing it on a local server there in BC' date=' Canada? [img']unsure[/img] That would explain the lag! tongue

Right now I can write faster than I can type in this thread. I started this post 4 hours ago! pinchedlol

If that isn't the case, then stop making popular threads that eventually lag Canuck! lol

That IPA looks good' date=' Otto. I agree that those hops work well together. Maybe mix a little Amarillo in if you have it. Otherwise, Cascade will work. I'd throw some Oak chips at it if I were you. It'll blow your mind!!![img']wink[/img]

A BIG +1, actually make that a +2 from me on the oak chips! Included in the right beer recipe, what they add in terms of complexity is simply awesome! cool+1

Since Chad introduced the idea to me, along with my brewing of his Big Island IPA the first time, I've since used them in a number of beers & they are now a staple part of my oaked vanilla porter recipe. happy

He's quite a cool & clever Canuck, even if he does make slow loading busted threads! tongue

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yep oak chips are definitely on the to-do list. I have read the previous threads and posts on them and they sound interesting. Might try them with my usual porter recipe next time I brew it too. cool

So, there are a few options on Craftbrewer's website.

American Oak Mini Staves: http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=5723

French Oak Mini Staves: http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=5722

American Oak Chips Untoasted: http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3720

French Oak Chips Untoasted: http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3721

French Oak Chips Med Toasted: http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=5933

Which would be the best option to go with for adding to beer?

Cheers

Kelsey

They are what I've been using thus far. Mine appear a little darker than what appears in your link' date=' but I feel that is just a matter of lighting for that picture more than any difference in product.

I'm pretty sure Chad is using the same but wait for his view on that. I know I'm happy with what I've been using. [img']love[/img]

I agree with your progression to using them. Do a brew without them, then do the same brew with about 30gms of them & enjoy that oak wood smack in the face!! .

Our ol' mate Philbo is the only guy with any credit on this forum that I gave a bottle of IPA to that had american oak chip influence in it, & he loved it! happy

An awesome inclusion for malt forward ale brews! cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Cool, thanks mate. happy Yes will wait and see what Chad says too. Might as well pick some up next time I head to CB for things... this shopping list is growing! lol

Do they need to be boiled or sanitised or whatever before throwing into the beer or can they just go in as is?

Edit: I have more than enough Centennial for this IPA batch, so the recipe will go ahead as planned. biggrin

I think I use French oak chips. They are dark brown but not toasted. It's what my LHBS carries. They used to carry American and that's what I used back when I was brewing the BIIPA. I think they both are totally acceptable and make a great IPA.

I throw the chips in straight out of the bag. I wouldn't worry too much about infection. In fact the wood might have some beneficial "bugs" that may enhance the final outcome.wink

A quick Saison.

Recipe: PoR Saison

Brewer: Grump

Style: Saison

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 30.00 l

Post Boil Volume: 26.69 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Bottling Volume: 21.60 l

Estimated OG: 1.042 SG

Estimated Color: 15.1 EBC

Estimated IBU: 23.8 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 4 99.3 %

0.03 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 5 0.7 %

25.00 g Pride of Ringwood [8.70 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 6 23.8 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brew day! happy

Today I am making a brew using a yeast I have cursed at for over 3 years due to a failed brew I feel it caused me. I was a lot less knowledgeable about handling yeast & a far less experienced brewer back then, so given it has some nice qualities (when it works! tongue) perhaps it's time to give it another chance.

Facing The Demons Pale Ale:

Coopers Light Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kgs

Coopers Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Barrett Burston Ale Malt grain 500gms

Dingemans Aromatic Malt grain 250gms

Barrett Burston Wheat Malt grain 200gms

Light Crystal grain 200gms

Mt. Hood 10gms @ 60mins

Simcoe 10gms @ 60mins

Chinook 10gms @ 20mins

Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe 20gms each 3 litre hop tea

Chinook & Simcoe 25gms each dry hopped

Rehydrated S-04 yeast

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 20-21°C

OG = approx. 1.048

FG = ?

EBC = 13.9

IBU = 30.1

Kegged ABV = approx. 4.6%

If the S-04 fails me this time, it'll join BRY-97 on my personal list of yeasts not to bother with again. devil

Fingers crossed. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Damn, Beer Whisperer. Was travelling all day yesterday and missed your post.

I really hope you get to sort out your daemons with S-04, because that and Windsor are my two favourite dry yeasts for English Bitter styles, and each seem to lend unique flavour nuances. And Newcastle Dark yeast is really great for, obviously, fuller and darker English styles. I'll shamelessly quote a previous post:

I love SO4 and have never had problems with it like some others have. There are some simple rules to follow to virtually assure a trouble free ferment:

1. Aerate or oxygenate wort really well immediately before pitching.

2. Pitch at least 0.5 grams (dry weight) per litre (or more if OG is significantly over 1.050).

3. Ensure sachet is within the “best by” date.

4. Don't allow the ferment temp to drop significantly lower than 17C during fermentation.

All the best of luck, and get ready for a real ragging if the pink cricket ball turns out a disaster at the Adelaide Oval.

Usually it's the other end of the femrentation that seems to cause issues though so you might not be out of the woods just yet. tongue I hope it works for you though mate.

I brewed my IPA recipe on Saturday and it all went pretty well. The bag was obviously heavier than usual after the mash but didn't spill any of it while raising it up which was good. Looks like the OG will be about 1057, which is about 6 points below what I was aiming for but I'm not too bothered by this, as I expected a drop in efficiency anyway given it's a bigger beer. I did stir the mash regularly as well. But anyway it should still turn out pretty nicely I think. happy It will go into the FV after the SNPA clone that will be going in this week.

I also kegged and bottled a Bo Pils that had been cold crashing for a couple of weeks. I managed to get 13 stubbies plus the full keg, so this will be interesting to try side by side from the bottle and keg in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers

Kelsey

Looks like the OG will be about 1057' date=' which is about 6 points below what I was aiming for but I'm not too bothered by this, as I expected a drop in efficiency anyway given it's a bigger beer. [/quote']

I get around this by sparging a little more and boiling longer.

Hey Brewpals,

I brewed this up on Saturday. From the sample I took it look it probably wasn’t as black as expected but I am looking forward to the outcome nonetheless.

Man in Black IPA

1.5kg Briess Rye LME

300g LDM

200g Wheat Chocolate Malt

50g Black Malt

15g each of Amarillo, Centennial & Mosaic at 15 minutes

5g each of Amarillo, Centennial & Mosaic at 5 minutes

20g each of Amarillo, Centennial & Mosaic dry hop

US-05

10 litre batch

120g of hops in a 10 litre brew – WOOOO!!

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Whoa, baby. That looks like one helluva brew! I'll be very interested to find out how much of a rye content & influence that Briess LME adds -- so please follow up if you remember.

I'm sure some of our hop head correspondents will be adding comments once they have wiped all the drool from the keyboards to get them working again.

Take care, Marcus.

Long Overdue Brew Day, took the day off to brew and was out XMAS shopping to 3. Anyway the boil has began and the first addition is in.

This one will be boring and exciting if you know what I mean.

A hoppy mid strength using three hops.

A boring 60 minute 10g addition of Magnum, purely for the bittering effect.

20g of Centennial added at 30 minutes for bittering and whatever else comes to the party.

Cascade 30 at 15, 20 at 6, and 15 at 1.

Pitched out with US05.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I get around this by sparging a little more and boiling longer.

I reckon I'll give sparging a go next time I brew that recipe. For my "normal" type beers I generally hit my expected numbers without one but I think it would help in these bigger beers' date=' not that I brew many. I thought about boiling longer but I wanted the extra volume to fill the cube properly and maybe get some surplus bottles after kegging it. Also my computer went down the day before so I had no idea what the predicted pre-boil SG was to compare to what I actually got. Ah well, it's a learning experience.

I wonder whether my grain crush has anything to do with it too... I opened the rollers up slightly on the last batch because the grains were taking freaking ages to come through the mill. But on that one I got a higher SG than predicted pre-boil, so I dunno. I'll leave them where they are for the next brew day, which will be back to a "normal" type batch and see what happens.

Edit: Now that I have Beersmith back working again, I have plugged in the recipe. It had a predicted pre-boil SG of 1050 in 34 litres, I actually got 1051 but the volume was down slightly. Still, pretty close to it - mash efficiency was only 1% lower. So I don't know why the post-boil SG was so low, unless the urn was cutting out while I was busy with other stuff and didn't boil off as much as it normally would. [img']unsure[/img]

Cheers

Kelsey

Usually it's the other end of the femrentation that seems to cause issues though so you might not be out of the woods just yet. tongue I hope it works for you though mate.

Yep certainly not out of the woods yet! lol

I've got it sitting at 20°C atm' date=' so after about 4 days I'll let the temperature slide up to about 22°C just in case that S-04 gets any ideas of dropping off to sleep! [img']wink[/img]

Fermentation is going well so far, & it smelled good when I opened the brew fridge door. happy

The stable FG reading should be interesting.

Hey Antsi, you're a bit of a self-confessed fan of S-04, what sort of attenuation percentage have you been getting from your brews with it?

Good luck with your IPA's Kelsey & Mark. I hope Mark gets enough bite from the lovely hop combo & late schedule he has put together for his IPA. unsure

Cheers & good brewing guys,

Lusty.

A light, easy drinking pale for christmas when my mum comes up.

Recipe: Old Lady Pale I

Brewer: Grumpy

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.038 SG

Estimated Color: 7.0 EBC

Estimated IBU: 34.3 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 80.0 %

0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 2 13.3 %

0.25 kg Gladfield Toffee Malt (10.5 EBC) Grain 3 6.7 %

20.00 g Pride of Ringwood [8.70 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 4 19.5 IBUs

20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 5 6.8 IBUs

20.00 g Motueka [7.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60.0 Hop 6 8.1 IBUs

Total Grain Weight: 3.75 kg

You ask some really good questions, Bra Lover. That's one I hadn't looked at previously, but it seems there is a real trend there. The more malt there is to chomp through, the harder S-04 seems to work. On average, the attenuation seems to be:

For OG from 1.038 to 1.044, attenuation about 72%

For OG from 1.045 to 1.055, attenuation about 74%

For OG at around 1.068, attenuation of 77.5% (Based on Coopers Brew 'A' Strong Ale recipe)

Cheers mate.

PS. There were several recipes with a favourite house combination using half S-04 and half US-05 that gives much higher rates around 83% and over. Obviously these aren't comparable with the figures above, but I love the combo if I want just a hint of esters and a very dry finish. The only problem being I've never been game to harvest the yeast afterwards so it's more expensive to do.

Hi Antsi.

...For OG from 1.038 to 1.044' date=' attenuation about 72%

For OG from 1.045 to 1.055, attenuation about 74%

For OG at around 1.068, attenuation of 77.5% (Based on Coopers Brew 'A' Strong Ale recipe)...

Thanks for the figures. Much appreciated. That should help me with estimating what my FG should be with this recent brew. smile

You should harvest that dual blend from a brew sometime & re-use it. I'm led to believe that eventually though, one of those strains will become more dominant over a number of re-uses.

A light' date=' easy drinking pale for christmas when my mum comes up.[/quote']

As opposed to the 8.5%+ beers he makes when the Mother-IN LAW comes to visit. tongue

biggrin

Cheers & good brewing guys,

Lusty.

Archived