20.00 g Citra [12.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 6 8.2 IBUs

20.00 g Motueka [7.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 7 4.9 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body

Total Grain Weight: 3.80 kg

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time

Saccharification Add 32.32 l of water at 67.4 C 64.4 C 90 min

Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As opposed to the 8.5%+ beers he makes when the Mother-IN LAW comes to visit.

You have to admit though' date=' Slushie, you can't argue with results. I understand that every time she arrives scowling, and leaves meowing.[/quote']

I was thinking more along the lines of Ben slamming down a few of those 8.5%'ers in quick fashion to knock himself out so he doesn't have to listen to it! lol

biggrin

BTW, is that another low ABV beer recipe Ben has posted? If so, that is 2 in a row. Are you feeling ill or something Ben? tongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

Put down another pale ale last night. Hoping for something along the lines of the JS hop thief 7, not sure it'll turn out that way but hopefully nice none the less.

1.5kg coopers light lme

1.5kg briess munich lme

500g light dme

150g carapils

150g medium crystal

20g magnum @60

15g mosaic @10

15g galaxy @10

15g mosaic @0

15g galaxy @0

US-05

Dry hop 15g galaxy and 15g mosaic

25 litre batch

I've never used carapils before so thought I'd throw a bit in to test it out, also same with the briess munich lme.

Cheers,

Tom

He guys,

Haven't posted for ages.

Been busy with work, kids etc (I know excuses excuses...)

Have made the occasional brew over the last few months, but realized summer is approaching quickly.

Bought a second fermenter and a heap of ingredients.

Haven't decided which order yet but these are the planned brews

Hoppy pale ale

IPA - mainly extract but with with crystal malts, waimea hops (plus a couple more nz hops) and US-05

Wheat bear - probably a belgium style

Fruit beer - raspberry ale for the wife (have to keep her happy!!!)

Saison

Amber ale

Tomorrow night I will get the first 2 going

Cheers and Happy brewing all

Tonny

Another brew day will be happening here on Saturday, which should see me not have to do another one until I'm on holidays in 3 weeks time, which will make things easier. This time I'm doing another red ale, but finally - it's the original version* again!

Batch Size 25 litres, no-chilled

4.000 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 87.5 %

0.300 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 2 6.6 %

**0.200 kg Caramalt (Thomas Fawcett) (29.6 EBC) Grain 3 4.4 %

0.070 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 4 1.5 %

Mashed at 66C for 90 minutes, with a small addition of CaCl.

75 minute boil

20.00 g Cascade {5.60 %} - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 5 13.8 IBUs

6.00 g Magnum {12.20 %} - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 7.8 IBUs

20.00 g Centennial {10.00 %} - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 13.0 IBUs

Harvested US-05 yeast, fermented at 18C, and a 30g dry hop of Cascade once fermentation dies off.

Est Original Gravity: 1.041 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 % (4.6% bottled)

Bitterness: 34.6 IBUs

Est Color: 34.0 EBC

*Aside from the mineral addition, and the following...

**This will potentially be a mixture of Carapils and Caramalt. I found some Carapils in a vac sealed bag in my spec. grains box recently, but not sure how much is in it, so I'll use all of it and make up the remainder to 200g with Caramalt if required.

Cheers

Kelsey

Just put down a doctored up Coopers Australian Pale Ale.

1.7kg can Coopers Australian Pale Ale

1kg LDM

500g BE2 (left over from ROTM - Helga's Cook Kolsch)

15g Cascade Hops

15g Galaxy Hops

Yeast from pack + leftover yeast from Canadian Blonde (again from ROTM as above).

Boiled 1kg LDM in 3.4 litres water.

Added 15g Cascade for 15 min boil.

15g Galaxy for 5 min boil.

As the BE2 had clumped up (thanks to 37c day last week), I ended up bunging it in with the boiled wort as it was cooling, to help it break down, prior to adding to the FV - it was one solid piece of BE2!

Added all the wort (the brew can & the boiled wort) to the FV.

Filled up to 24 litres (to allow for yeast & hops sediment, as I didn't bother to strain out the hops prior to adding hopped wort to the FV), including some ice from the freezer, pitched the yeast at 24c.

OG was 1.046

I expect this to come to a bit over 5% A/V, though most of my brews I only make to around 4.5.

Recipe: AmberSon

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Saison

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.042 SG

Estimated Color: 28.3 EBC

Estimated IBU: 27.9 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

2.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

2.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 4 85.4 %

0.25 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 5 6.1 %

0.25 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 6 6.1 %

0.10 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 7 2.4 %

50.00 g Fuggles [4.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 27.9 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -

Put down the base for a lemon weizen. Couldn't find the thermometer so ha to guess the temp for yeast rehydration. Later found it and the yeast was at 34 degrees. Hope I didn't kill it.

Anyway, on a positive note I found out that the tree that smells amazing whenever I mow near it is actually lemon myrtle.... Ripper.

The biggest thing I have found that slow down my brew day is lack of boiling water. Going to have to upgrade from Kettle to stock pot me thinks.

I did my red ale as listed in post 808 on Saturday as planned. Only change being I forgot to add the Caramalt, so while all the other grains were the same, it only contains 100g Carapils (what I had left over). Apart from that no changes were made to what is listed there.

Brew day went really well. This time I re-measured my urn with a one litre jug. Turns out my fill level is 36 litres and the boil starts at 33 litres. By the time the boil had finished I still had 29.5 litres, but that includes the excess added back in nearing the end of the boil, from the bag being left to drain then squeezed further into my grain bucket. Didn't completely fill the cube but I have noted they are expanding more when being filled these days - the last batch like this was the SNPA clone and I got 24.5 litres into the FV from that, so only 500mL off my 25 litre target.

This time I managed to hit (actually exceed) gravity estimations, and they were consistent pre and post boil which is good. I got my 33 litre pre-boil volume at 1.034 (est. 1.033), and post boil was 1.042 (est. 1.041). I expect I'll get 25 litres into the FV, which gives me total efficiency of 74.3%, a big improvement on the last few batches which were more in the mid 60s. Hopefully it stays that way. annoyed

This 8 point increase between pre and post boil SG is more in line with what I used to get all the time, and I'm not sure why it dropped off on recent batches but anyway. I'll be brewing another APA in a couple of weeks or so, so I'll definitely take note of whether it does the same thing.

Cheers

Kelsey

Time for a big, fruity Pale.

188g of wheat was all there was left.

Recipe: Summer Time Pale

Style: American Pale Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.055 SG

Estimated Color: 21.3 EBC

Estimated IBU: 48.5 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 3 -

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 4 74.1 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 5 18.5 %

0.20 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 6 3.7 %

0.20 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 7 3.7 %

20.00 g Pride of Ringwood [8.70 %] - First Wort Hop 8 18.7 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -

60.00 g Motueka [7.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 10 12.8 IBUs

25.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 11 7.4 IBUs

25.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 12 9.5 IBUs

25.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to play with Wyeast 3725 biggrin

This yeast strain may or may not come from Fantome, who make killer Saison. In case it does, I'll start off trying a fairly simple Saison recipe without too much alcohol or hops so as to hopefully bring the yeast character to the fore. Fantome ferment pretty hot, but with my far smaller batch size I'm going to keep this one at about 20 - 21C for the first day or so and then let it naturally rise as the fermentation gets going.

Stats

Fermenter volume: 10.5 litres

Target OG: 1.048 (@70% brewhouse efficiency)

Bitterness: 27 IBUs

Colour: 9 EBC

Grain

1450g (60%) Best Malz pils malt

475g (20%) Best Malz munich malt

475g (20%) Joe White wheat malt

Hops

31g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (2.9% AA) @FWH

Yeast

Wyeast 3725 smack pack

Process

Batch sparge in cooler, 60 minute boil, no-chill in cube

Someone's starting early this morning. What happened, PoshSpice, did you wet the bed?

The description of that Bier de Garde yeast sounds awesome, and I see you've become addicted to Best Malz too. Sounds like it should be a superb beer, though. Brew on!

PS. I think you'll get away with it this once as long as no-one points it out to him, but don't push your luck again or B10 may find out about that "keep the ABV down" comment and you'll really be in for it.

Mmmmmmmmm. Mittelfruh. drool drool.

Time to play with Wyeast 3725 biggrin

Looks good!

I was going to make an Amber' date=' but this turned up instead.

Recipe: CitRyePA

Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.069 SG

Estimated Color: 24.4 EBC

Estimated IBU: 67.3 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

4.75 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 4 68.2 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 5 14.4 %

1.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 6 14.4 %

0.20 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 7 2.9 %

0.01 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 8 0.1 %

15.00 g Pride of Ringwood [8.70 %'] - First Wort Hop 9 12.6 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -

70.00 g Azacca [12.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 11 22.8 IBUs

70.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 12 23.9 IBUs

30.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 13 8.0 IBUs

50.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

I've never even considered it before, but the citra and rye combination sounds really nice (and unusual too). However, I don't have a clue about Azacca and never even heard of it.

The tiny touch of roast barley for colour reminded me of a weekend conversation I had. The vast majority opinion of the brewers in north NSW seem to have totally stopped using it and instead use Carafa III. I can't swear to it (we were probably on to the fourth or fifth Coopers Dark at that stage), but I think the reasoning was that Carafa is a dehusked grain and so you get the colour and flavour with very little bitterness. (Not that the amount in your recipe will present a lot of bitterness, of course). I've got to get some to try it 'cos there's a smoked porter on the cards soon, and it's time to put down a stout for next winter.

But you're one up on John. At least you didn't piss the bed.

That may be true, but I've never found one yet who could be classed as "gawn troppo". rolleyes

In the darker styles, especially when used for colouring in porters stouts etc, a reasonable quantity seems to add a disproportinate* amount of bitterness.

Pineapple huh? That sounds as though it could also go well in an APA/IPA. Is that one you got from Yakima?

*How's that for a big mispelt** word early in the day.

**Or should that be mispelled?

Hi guys and girls!

Ok so not exactly Brew Day (he says while typing at work!) but anxiously anticipating bottling day this Saturday and brew day this sunday.

I have the Lightening Strike Summer Ale in my large FV and the Cascarillo Amber ale in my small FV (just reduced the ingredients by half for a 11litre batch)

On brew day I think I will do another dark ale - I'm thinking "mister Sinister" from the recipe page for my large FV (although ive seen many other great recipes on here Id love to try!)

I'm getting a bit low on pale so I thought in my smaller FV Id try an extract Pale Ale - so 1.5kg can of LME and my own hop boil. I like to do something like a JS Hop Thief or Mountain Goat pale style (I know I keep banging on about it - but it is delicious!). For the JS Im thinking Mosaic and galaxy ( not sure my LHBS has Galaxy tho) or the Mountain Goat uses Chinook, Mosiac, Cascade, Citra and centennial - which all seems a but much for a half size batch.

Any recommendations? (Id like to try something other than cascade/Amarillo for a change)

Alternatively someone suggested somewhere on here that a 1.7kg Pale Ale plus 500gm Dark ME would make a half decent IPA in 10 litres

Any thoughts appreciated

cheers

Chris

or the Mountain Goat uses Chinook' date=' Mosiac, Cascade, Citra and centennial - which all seems a but much for a half size batch.

[/quote']

All you'd have to do is work out what you'd use for a full size batch and then halve all the amounts. biggrin

Yeah, but I have no idea of the quantities and timing - that was just the hops listed on the Mountain Goat website when I googled the beer. if I knew the actual recipe I'd do a full sized batch..... maybe I'll try random selection of what of them my LHBS stocks ....here's to brew day!!

Haha cheers guys, it was a hot night ... hard to sleep. Re ABV I have been caught out by Saison yeast attenuation before ... one fermented down to 1.000. Didn't taste that dry though, it still had a really nice texture and body to it. It was only when I tried to stand up fast after a few that the attenuation became apparent!

Things have gone very smoothly with this batch, just settling for a few minutes after the boil now, then into the cube. Fingers crossed for decent efficiency from my batch sparge this time (after ~50-ish% the last couple of batches doing full volume BIAB).

Alternatively someone suggested somewhere on here that a 1.7kg Pale Ale plus 500gm Dark ME would make a half decent IPA in 10 litres

I'd keep the Dark DME out of an IPA ... an APA kit + 500g light DME + some extra hops would make a decent one though! Given that it's an IPA, with the hops I'd try a 5 minute boil with say 10g of each of the 4 varieties. Then I'd add a dry hop of the same amount.

Edit: That may end up a bit fiercer than the Mountain Goat IPA, but I bet it will be really tasty. The APA tin will get you what ... 50-ish IBUs in 10.5 litres + some more for the hop boil (chill it down quick in the sink after the boil).

Archived