Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2015

Canadian Eh!L

Thanks Porschemad

Might give that a crack

Just realised the Mister Sinister recipe recommends fermenting at 13c - I assume that's because of the lager yeast recommended - cant see why it can be done with an ale yeast at 18c but think I'll go with the following recipe our found on the forum:

1.7 OS Dark Ale

500g LDME

1.5kg dark extract can

125 dark crystal

125 choc malt

50 roast barley

25gram fuggles, 5 min boil - 30 min rest

My first go at using Grains tho - so assume I chuck it all in together and steep at 68c for 30 mins then strain and add to fermenter? -from what Ive read that's sounds about right? Pls tell me if imwrong

cheers

Chris

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Payno' date=' it might be worthwhile spending 10 mins to give this one a read. At least that way you've got it straight from the ho's mouth.

Thank Anti - a good read, will go back and read more of this book form the beginning I think to better my knowledge........still so much to learn but getting there - particularly with the help from here. Think I'll have a go with a small amount of specialty grains this batch and see how I go

cheers

Chris

Time to play with Wyeast 3725 biggrin

I activated the smack pack at about midnight last night, and then sanitized the fermenter and pitched the yeast early this morning. The wort was at 18C so that's a good start. The weather looks pretty warm over the next few days, but with my Cool Brewing bag and ice-bricks ready in the freezer I should hopefully be able to keep at about 21C for the first couple of days and then let it rise naturally.

Brew day for me was a batch of Muddy'e ginger beer. This is the first GB I've tried since I got into brewing. Didn't go much for the smell of the Coopers kit. None the less, with the extras that Muddy added to his recipe it should be a good batch. Bought a new FV just for the occasion - just a cheapy water bottle from Bunnings. I drilled a hole in the top put a grommet in and stuck an air-lock in it.

48 hours on and it's percolating away like a little bewdy. Nice aroma too.

Cheers

Not a brew day as such but a couple of brewing activities over the past two days.

Yesterday I kegged and bottled the surplus from my third batch of my SNPA clone. Looks as if it will turn out as well as the last two goes at it. I stuck the keg in the kegerator on serving pressure initially as I planned on having a beer or two last night. After those, I turned off the gas to those kegs and bumped up the SNPA keg to 30PSI and left it until I came home earlier on my break, so about 12 hours. Now all 3 are back on my normal serving pressure about 11PSI.

After that of course I cleaned out the FV, stole some yeast from a US-05 starter and put the starter in the brew fridge to crash for today, when it was pitched into my first ever batch of IPA. This is an American IPA, the recipe of which is posted in this thread about 2 or 3 pages back. Ended up with 24 litres at 1056 OG, so a way off my target OG but I'm sure it'll still turn out nicely anyway. Fridge is set to 18C, it went in at about 23C so not terribly high and should come down pretty quickly. Should be ready to keg/bottle in about 2.5 weeks at which time another batch of red ale will be going in.

After that I'm planning another APA with Chinook hops on their own as I don't think I've tried this yet and want to see what they bring to the brew on their own.

Cheers

Kelsey

Time for a Pineapple Saison!

Recipe: Azacca Saison

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: India Saison

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.052 SG

Estimated Color: 10.7 EBC

Estimated IBU: 50.4 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

2.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

2.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 4 80.0 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 5 20.0 %

60.00 g Fuggles [4.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 28.0 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -

60.00 g Azacca [12.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 8 22.4 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body

Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was planning on doing a Helga's Cool Kolsch replica style, using Hallertau hops pellets, but did something else instead.

I'd stupidly bought all the stuff I needed to make 2 batches of the Helga style brew, but neglected to take into account that the LHBS doesn't thoroughly mix his blends the way you find with your packs of Coopers BE2 etc.

It seems he measures out the appropriate ingredients, bags them up then heat seals the bag.

Absolutely fine if you're using the whole 1kg bag, but if you wanted to use half the blend pretty much bad luck.

Anyway, what I ended up doing was straying a bit from the recipe, but should end up with beer, as to how good it will be, only time will tell.

So:

1 Can Coopers Canadian Blonde

1kg Ultra mix (BE2 subtitute 500g LDM, 250g Maltodex, 250g Dex)

500g LDM

Approx 50g Hallertau hops pellets

2 x yeast packs from Canadian Blonde cans

Made to approx 24 litres.

I boiled the LDM with approx 5 litres water, added approx 25g Hallertau pellets, boiled for 10 mins, then added another 25g Hallertau pellets for an additional 10 mins.

Chilled it down whilst I warmed up the brew can so they could meet in the middle temp wise.

For once - just to see the difference, I strained the boiled wort to get the majority of hops solids out.

Added the wort, brew can, Ultra mix, filled to 24 litres including some chilled water & ice to get the temp down to 22c (expecting 30c here today).

Added both yeast packs.

OG was 1045, so assuming it gets down to 1.010 it should come to around low 5% including carbonation once bottled.

As usual I've got my brew in the swamp box for chilling, & since it's here in the room with me as I type this, I'll have no trouble monitoring the temperature.

I guess this one will turn out somewhere between Celebration Ale & Helga, & for lack of a better name, I've just called it Helga's Canadian Cousin, though maybe considering the Hallertau it should have been German Cousin, but whatever.

Pulled a Lemonweizen off the cake and bottled it. It was brew number 4 and my last that will be ready for Xmas.

I just put down a Ben10 BBQ beer, basically a lighter pale ale based wort with a bit of cascade. Hoping to get that one out before Xmas and place a lager down.

Hi 4Corns (BTW, don't you find it painful to walk?)

Well done for having another Chriisie beer to enjoy. At the risk of repeating myself, the thing I need to gently break to you is that Ben never seems to give a recipe or put down a beer less than 8%. We all love him to (liver) death, but just be warned. lol

EB Porter day today!!!

1.7kg Coopers English Bitter

1.5kg light LME

200g brown sugar

100g roast barley

250g pale choc malt

150g light crystal

Nottingham yeast

23L

Perfect timing for winter awesomeness ... as long as I can hide it from myself in the meantime

I agree' date=' good timing for making a winter beer. Looks good for a nice rich flavoured Porter.

I know you're not big on liquid yeasts at this point in time with your brewing, but for a beer style like this, take a little bit of time to at least look into them. Certain British strains will add a whole new level of complexity to a beer like this, & will have you drooling over the end results. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Antiphile,

This is the recipe that I have wriien down. Ben19 may have written it down wrong because it came in at 1.030 - certainly not rocket fuel.

Ben 10 BBQ – 23L (Coopers – BBQ Beer 02/08/14)

1x can IS Australian Pale Ale

500g LDME

25g Cascade hops

1x US-05 yeast

Bring LDME in 5L of water to boil

Throw in hops and remove from boil

Sit for 10 minutes then cool in sink

Add to fermenter along with goo

Top up to 23L

Pitch yeast

Putting this one down nice and early tomorrow. Should be ready just in time for some easy summer drinking methinks...no prizes for guessing what it's modelled on biggrin

Type: All Grain

Batch Size (fermenter): 27.00 l Brewer: Ken

Boil Size: 35.00

Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: 01 - Kens Crown Urn BIAB NoChill

End of Boil Volume 30.00 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Final Bottling Volume: 26.00 l Est Mash Efficiency 74.8 %

Fermentation: Ale' date=' Single Stage

Ingredients

Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.29 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 59.6 %

2.11 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 2 38.3 %

0.12 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 2.1 %

15.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %'] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 14.4 IBUs

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -

15.00 g Galaxy [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 6 5.8 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7 -

70.00 g Galaxy [14.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.7

Bitterness: 20.2 IBUs

Est Color: 7.4 EBC

Mash Profile

Mash In Add 37.00 l of water at 68.5 C 66.0 C 90 min

edit: LHBS is out of pellets so will be using flowers for the first time as well ... could be interesting

Okay so this baby has been in the bottle for 3 weeks now so time for a follow-up...

Firstly, a few things were changed. LHBS ended up having Galaxy pellets after all so I went with them in the end. Also , the whirlpool addition I ended up just putting into the cube and poured the wort straight onto them . Seems to have worked well. And my final post boil grav reading wasn't as high as I expected , this I have worked out to probably be a less than vigorous boil due to crud build up on the concealed element plate , but have got a great cleaning device for this so I am pretty sure I have nipped that problem in the bud.

But to the beer ... wow! just wow! This is a fantastic drop! I think most of my beers have been based on other craft beers that I liked and tried to emulate, this one obviously being Mountain Goat's Summer Ale, but this is the first time I really think I have nailed it. It's pretty much exactly the same. A beautiful passionfruit aroma and taste , combined with the relatively low IBU's and ABV , makes this a beer that, although designed for easy summer quaffing, unfortunately won't last very long into summer biggrin

The only thing that I was worried about was dry hopping with 70g of galaxy for 12 days , due to concerns about possible "grassiness" , but this has worked like a charm. It's really really good! (sorry, I've had a few already , excuse my enthusiasm). Pretty sure I will do this one again , and with the way this is going down , I better get my arse into gear and do it soon or it will be a dry summer.

summer%20ale_zpse7en8kdv.jpg

Very well done, Argon. Take a bow. It even looks delicious.

I've got some galaxy now, even though I'm yet to use any, but I was very interested in your comment about extended dry hopping 'cos I've heard the same thing. Glad it didn't turn out that way (the grassiness I mean).

Keep those fermenters bubbling!

Brew day for me today, this time brewing up a simple American pale ale using Chinook as the late hop. It's basically the same as my Mosaic pale ale recipe except with Chinook instead. Currently in the middle of the 90 minute mash.

4.500 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 84.9 %

0.500 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 9.4 %

0.300 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 3 5.7 %

10.00 g Magnum {12.20 %} - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 12.5 IBUs

30.00 g Chinook {13.00 %} - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 14.5 IBUs

30.00 g Chinook {13.00 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 6 10.0 IBUs

US-05 yeast harvested.

90 minute mash at 66-67C, 75 minute boil. 25 litre batch size intended.

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %

Bitterness: 37.0 IBUs

Est Color: 17.0 EBC

Cheers

Kelsey

Now that recipe, Votto, is one I'd like to hear about when it's drinking time. The reason is, maybe 2 years ago or so, I put down the Coopers ESVA 2013 recipe, and rightly or wrongly, I assumed it was the chinook that gave it the really "earthy" flavour. I know that when people "assume " they make an ass out of you and me. Yet I never thought any more about it and never ordered any more.

Yet only recently, I've learned a lot more about the huge differences in using higher AA% hops early and late (and Lushy is prolly killing himself laughing by now), but I'd like to know what you think when it's time to get down and dirty.

PS. I will not in any way condone your reckless, leprosy-ridden, anti-social, reviled avatar showing you with a cancer-inducing health system burden, you criminal bast@rd. Oops, hang on -- I'm a smoker too. No, that's alright. It's different 'cos I look cute with a cigarette hanging out my mouth.

I've used it once or twice before, but those times were in conjunction with another hop. This time I wanted to use it late on its own so I could see what influence it brings, so I'll definitely update down the track when it's ready to drink. Hopefully it turns out well. happy

lol I need a new picture now actually, this is day 3 of an attempt at giving the damn things up, which is good and bad... good for my health of course, but damn I'm missing having a cigarette with a beer, or when I'm driving, or when I'm just plain bored. I'm sure that'll pass in time though, so far today have managed to suppress it enough that it hasn't bothered me too much.

Power to you, Votter. A few months ago I had a stay in hospital for a week (apparently they reckon you can cure idiocy with that treatment), but as you'd know smoking is a no-no. As one who had actively participated in the joy of the tobacco leaf for well over 40 years, and had tried many times to cease, I was really stunned how little I missed it when I had the opportunity to use as much much gum, patches and infusers (not the vape things or whatever they call them) as I wanted.

Of course it was all free when I was "locked up" but even if you need to outlay several hundred bucks (or even several thousand for that matter) to keep the wolf away, it will repay itself in only a few months. Of course, I'm not that smart and am back to being a chimney, but I hope you have better smarts at your age!

BTW, you'll still be an ugly bastard! biggrin

Archived