Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2015

Canadian Eh!L

Thanks mate biggrin I seem so far to be doing ok without any of those other treatments, however it's only been 12 years for me. I also never really smoked more than about 10-15 a day, except on nights out drinking or something. I do have some lozenge things in case I REALLY feel the urge but it seems to be more of a habitual thing and breaking that is the biggest part. Hopefully I can keep it up though.. I'd prefer to only have/need one attempt at it.

Back to this brew day, I decided out of curiosity to check my hydrometer in tap water earlier. This water was sitting about 30C and the thing was reading 0.996, with temp correction it was 0.998. This probably accounts for part of the reason my efficiencies were dropping recently.

With that in mind I took my pre-boil sample today, by the time I read it, it was sitting at 24C, and the hydrometer read 1.040. Calling that 1.042 due to it being out, I ended up with a pre-boil SG of 1.043 in my 33 litres, well above what Beersmith predicted based on my 72.5% efficiency number (1.040). I'm still waiting on the post boil sample in a Pyrex jug to both cool down and the trub settle out before I tip it into another test jar to read its SG. Didn't quite fill the cube as much today but still full enough to be able to squeeze the air out... I'd estimate I'll get about 24 litres in to the FV when it goes in.

Cheers

Kelsey

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thinking of putting down this tomorrow, what do ya reckon?

Coopers Dark Ale kit

Coopers Amber LME Can

20g Galaxy, 20g Cascade boiled 10 min

20g Galaxy, 20g Cascade boiled 5 min

500g coopers LDM boiled with the hops

US-05

23Litres

Planning on dry hopping with more Galaxy and Cascade

Very well done' date=' Argon. Take a bow. It even looks delicious.

I've got some galaxy now, even though I'm yet to use any, but I was very interested in your comment about extended dry hopping 'cos I've heard the same thing. Glad it didn't turn out that way (the grassiness I mean).

Keep those fermenters bubbling![/quote']

Just to quantify my experience a little with that , the dry hops spent 4 days at fermentation temp, then it was cold crashed for the other 8 days. I was a little wary of the grassiness factor and I'd read somewhere that the lower temp can help a lot with it. I didn't actually remove the hops at all, they were just thrown in commando style so , yes , they were in contact with the wort for the whole 12 days with no ill effects.

(in fact , I opened another one last night and took it to the lounge room and my son asked if I was drinking my 'passionfruit' beer again because it left a lingering fruity aroma in the kitchen after I left) biggrin

Chucked in an ~85g dry hop into my IPA batch today, this was made up of a combination of about 40g Mosaic and the rest Centennial. Originally it was meant to be 30g each but I couldn't be arsed keeping 10 and 15g of each hop so I just used what was in each packet.

Next batch due to be fermented is another red ale, but this time I'm using Wy1318 London Ale III yeast on it instead of its usual US-05. Will be interesting to see what that brings to it. Currently waiting for a 2.5 litre starter to cool down to room temp so I can pitch it, and then it will be ready to be harvested and crashed on Monday when I keg the IPA.

I am so gonna run out of beer these holidays. crying

Cheers

Kelsey

Time to play with Wyeast 3725 biggrin

I bottled this up tonight' date=' it had attenuated from 1.041 (sample taken from fermenter just prior to pitching yeast) to 1.003 and then dropped fairly clear. Doesn't taste as dry as the FG would indicate though, there's quite a solid malt flavour. I bulk primed this one aiming for 3.3 volumes of CO2. It's tasting great, and my only worry at this stage is that I've possibly overdone the Munich at 20% of the grain bill. Time will tell [img']happy[/img]

20% Munich will be fine. I regularly use around that of Munich II

Recipe: Hop2iT XIV

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: English IPA

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.060 SG

Estimated Color: 25.0 EBC

Estimated IBU: 58.9 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

4.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 4 77.6 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 5 17.2 %

0.25 kg Carawheat (Weyermann) (98.5 EBC) Grain 6 4.3 %

0.05 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 7 0.9 %

20.00 g Dana [13.90 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 29.0 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -

50.00 g Challenger [8.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20 Hop 10 11.9 IBUs

50.00 g Fuggles [4.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 11 6.0 IBUs

30.00 g Dana [13.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 m Hop 12 12.0 IBUs

Total Grain Weight: 5.80 kg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20% Munich will be fine. I regularly use around that of Munich II

Cheers good to know. The only reason I mentioned it is that despite the FG being 1.003 there's plenty of rich malt flavour left. I guess the carbonation should lighten things up nicely though.

I made a smash beer with 100% Munich and Centennial. It was pretty good.

G'day HairyHemper

Just saw your ads for NSW Govt new antidrug campaign under your pseudonym StonerSloth. You look great on screen!

When you say "pretty good" would you change the hops next time? Just interested 'cos I'm yet to do a SMASH.

Cheers mate

PS. For your next ad' date=' I'd ask for better dialogue if I were you.[/quote']

No mate, Centennial is one of my favourite hops and a sensational choice in a smash. A great bittering hop and awesome flavour. Did I mention that I like it?

I have made 2 smash beers with Centennial and both were great. But my smash with Maris Otter and Citra was the best.

I recommend that you do a smash beer; they are not as one dimensional as you think. And it is a great way to get a feel for a particular malt and/or hop.

G'day HairyHemper

Just saw your ads for NSW Govt new antidrug campaign under your pseudonym StonerSloth. You look great on screen!

When you say "pretty good" would you change the hops next time? Just interested 'cos I'm yet to do a SMASH.

Cheers mate

PS. For your next ad' date=' I'd ask for better dialogue if I were you.[/quote']

No mate, Centennial is one of my favourite hops and a sensational choice in a smash. A great bittering hop and awesome flavour. Did I mention that I like it?

I have made 2 smash beers with Centennial and both were great. But my smash with Maris Otter and Citra was the best.

I recommend that you do a smash beer; they are not as one dimensional as you think. And it is a great way to get a feel for a particular malt and/or hop.

Just in case you missed it anti

No mate' date=' Centennial is one of my favourite hops and a sensational choice in a smash. A great bittering hop and awesome flavour. Did I mention that I like it?

I recommend that you do a smash beer; they are not as one dimensional as you think. And it is a great way to get a feel for a particular malt and/or hop.[/quote']

An Amber IPA hybrid thing.

Recipe: Fanta Pants III

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.060 SG

Estimated Color: 29.9 EBC

Estimated IBU: 50.4 IBUs

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

2.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 4 67.5 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 5 16.9 %

0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 6 8.4 %

0.20 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 7 3.4 %

0.20 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 8 3.4 %

0.03 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 9 0.5 %

10.00 g Dana [13.90 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 10 14.5 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -

50.00 g Azacca [12.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 12 17.5 IBUs

50.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 13 18.4 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body

Total Grain Weight: 5.93 kg

--------------------

Hi guys.

The weather has been simply oppressive over the last week here in SA. Today is the first day for a about 6 where we aren't hitting something close to, or over 40°C.

I'm really not in the mood for a long brew day today, so on an extremely rare occasion, I'm using two LME's, no grains, & a short boil for a quick, tasty brew.

Briess Golden Light LME 1.5kg

Briess Pilsen Light LME 1.5kg

LDM 500gms

Chinook 20gms @ 30mins

Cascade 20gms @ 15mins

Simcoe 15gms @ 5mins

Chinook & Cascade 25gms each hop tea

Centennial 20gms dry hopped

Motueka 20gms dry hopped

Re-hydrated US-05 yeast

Brewed to 22 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.051

FG = approx. 1.015

EBC = 9.9

IBU = 33.8

Kegged ABV = 4.7%

Yay, retail Christmas week this week, yay! pinched

More stinking hot weather ahead, yay! crying

Where's my party horn....

Have a good day guys.

Lusty.

Bolstered by my relative success in the last club competition I entered, I decided to have another crack and make a Belgian-style beer for an upcoming competition in the new year.

Brewed & cubed this yesterday, pitching tonight. Edit: Changed the temperature profile to 1.5 days @ 20°, 10.5 days @ 24°, and back to 20° for bottling.

Belgian Blond

1.0kg Briess Pilsen DME

500g Light DME

100g Briess Munich LME

200g raw sugar (late addition @ 10m)

Wyeast 3522

15g Kazbek @ 60m

10g Kazbek @ flame-out

10.5L batch

OG/FG: 1.064 / 1.015

IBU: ~23

EBC: ~10

BV: ~0.77

ABV: 6.9% (bottled)

Doing yet another brew day on Thursday, this will be my last for the year I'd imagine, and I want to get it done before Chrissy and the last couple of Test matches of the summer. It's unlikely to end up in a fermenter before I go back to work though since I have the Chinook pale ale going in after the red ale is kegged in a couple of weeks or whenever.

Anywho.... since I now have some English ale yeast, it's time to revisit a style I have not brewed for some time, that being an English Pale Ale, specifically the Special/Best Bitter category. I do enjoy good examples of these beers so I'm keen to get good at this style as well as my other two favourites that I've worked on over time and recently being APAs and Bo Pils. I also realise that Caraaroma probably isn't a standard ingredient in these beers but it seems to be the only crystal grain I've used that really brings out that toffee/caramel flavour that I have noted in beers of this type.

So, onto the recipe, based on 72.5% efficiency.

4.500 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 92.4 %

0.200 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 2 4.1 %

0.150 kg Caraaroma (256.1 EBC) Grain 3 3.1 %

0.020 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 4 0.4 %

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent {6.40 %} - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 5 15.6 IBUs

20.00 g Fuggles {5.40 %} - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 11.4 IBUs

20.00 g Fuggles {5.40 %} - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 4.1 IBUs

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent {6.40 %} - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 4.9 IBUs

Harvested Wy1318 London Ale III Yeast.

90 minute mash at 66-67C followed by a 10 minute mash out at 78C. 75 minute boil time.

Aiming for 25 litres into the FV.

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.3 %

Bitterness: 36.1 IBUs

Est Color: 22.3 EBC

My new habit of periodically stirring the mash throughout the 90 minutes and again through the heating up to, during, and after mash out seems to have gotten me some extra gravity points on the last couple of batches, but I want to confirm this over a few more before increasing my efficiency number used in Beersmith. Also having discovered my hydrometer is reading two points lower than the actual SG has helped bump up the efficiency as well... lol

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out once it's ready to drink. happy

Cheers

Kelsey

As you know, Blotterilla, I'm a huuuge fan of ESBs and can't make enough of them. It's obvious you've put quite a bit of thought into the recipe and it will turn out bloody nice.

This is only a very personal thing, but the more I do them, the more I like them being slightly paler in colour; I now aim for an EBC of mid-teens (and I've done a few around the 11 and 12 mark too). The only other comment I'd add would be even though it's not an English hop, I've fallen in love with Styrian Goldings as a late hop to bring a slight fruity/floral flavour, but that's not traditional I'm guessing. And target is a great bittering hop too to try at some stage.

You're certainly in for a treat early in the New Year.

Thanks mate happy Yes I had a read of the BJCP style guide for the style and tried to build something around that. I'm guessing mine will only be slightly darker than my IPA I recently brewed which came out about 18 or 19 EBC I think. I like that amber/coppery colour though. I've got a crapload of Fuggles and EKG in the freezer so I want to use these up before I order any more. It is on my agenda to get some Styrian Goldings though, and I might as well try Target at the same time. I have read the Styrian hops go really well in ESB's a number of times but never gotten around to trying it yet.

Will definitely report back on this when it's in the glass. biggrin

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey Kelsey.

I just wanted to ask you what your initial impressions of the Wyeast 1318 are? It's the one I prefer on my Mosaic Amber Ale & one I have tried to encourage others to try. I think Mark (Iczed) has recently used it, & maybe John (porschemad911), or did John chicken out in the end?! unsuretongue I can't remember. innocent

Of late he's a busy man "Belgianing" himself at every possible opportunity. tonguelol

Let's hope the cat survives this intense "Belgianing" period at the porschemad911 residence until it ends its cycle?! tonguebiggrin

B.O.T...Also what temp did you ferment the first brew using it, & what temp are you planning on fermenting this brew at with it?

I'm looking forward to some feedback from those that use it. I reckon it's a really good yeast that could be used on a number of styles producing some lovely balanced ale beers.

Durability is high on my list of reasons why I would store & re-use the expensive liquid strains. Given I only like to carry 4 or so, this one certainly grabbed my attention. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

I think Mark (Iczed) has recently used it' date=' & maybe John (porschemad911), or did John chicken out in the end?! [img']unsure[/img] tongue I can't remember. innocent

Of late he's a busy man "Belgianing" himself at every possible opportunity. tonguelol

Let's hope the cat survives this intense "Belgianing" period at the porschemad911 residence until it ends its cycle?! tonguebiggrin

Haha coincidentally last night I also finished off a box of Belgian chocolate that was kindly gifted to me ... so yes, "Belgianing" (and probably "ballooning") all round! There are now 2 cats, and from the way they both attacked their food bowls this morning they are bursting at the seams with zeal for life at the moment. Actually one of them decided to walk over my wife's head at 2am rather than go round, so she may not survive for all that much longer if she repeats that.

I used WLP006 Bedford British in your Mosaic Amber and it was great. Actually 6 out of 7 beers I made with that yeast were terrific, and the 7th was a grain bill issue (Stout not rich and roasty enough). I definitely intend to try 1318 at some point, but probably after 1469.

Cheers,

John

Archived