Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

Hi John. smile

Despite having some Kolsch yeast in the fridge I erred on the side of caution & pitched the US-05 to also be true to the final beer intended by Coopers.

G'day Lusty' date=' I was surprised to read this given how much you like the Kolsch yeast! I would have pitched the Kolsch yeast and saved the US-05 for a pale ale or something. But as you say, you will be able to provide feedback on the recipe as Coopers intended it. This might be going out on a limb, but I reckon if PB2 had Kolsch yeast in the fridge he would've pitched that into this kit [img']biggrin[/img]

A little while back Hairy (I think?) mentioned the 4 Pines Kolsch reportedly uses US-05. So I'm interested in what qualifies as a Kolsch if using US-05. I'm guessing there is a fair whack of pilsner malt in the Canadian Blonde kit, so combine that with a clean ferment, & the character from hops like these Helga hops must be the trick? From my end, it will make an interesting comparison against the recent 2565 brews I've done.

I can always re-brew it with the 2565. wink

The new ROTM dark lager looks like a beer I would REALLY like to drink. Great hops, great malt character, great yeast. Very cool! cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm not going to be getting the Full-size ROTM this month after my experiences with parmesan cheese smelling Falconer's Flight from last months Craft ROTM so I'll be just getting the Saison this month but I'll be adding some extra hops to it (probably 15g of Amarillo at 10 mins to give a bit more hop character) during the boil

Well' date=' I'm not going to be getting the Full-size ROTM this month after my experiences with parmesan cheese smelling Falconer's Flight from last months Craft ROTM so I'll be just getting the Saison this month but I'll be adding some extra hops to it (probably 15g of Amarillo at 10 mins to give a bit more hop character) during the boil[/quote']

Parmasan cheese?

Sigh im stl yet to decide and these will be sold ojt soon

The hops shouldn't smell like any type of cheese sick Did you contact the online store to let them know?

No I haven't yet, I want to see what the resulting beer tastes/smells like before I cause any fuss (I'm not much of a fuss causer). If it turns out great, I'll never be able to recreate it but it'll be my happy secret. If it turns out terrible, I'll contact the store

Hey PB2,

I've been looking over the recipe for the Saison ROTM, and it says to boil half the hops (12.5g) for 20 mins, but doesn't mention anything about the rest of the hops. Are the remaining 12.5g supposed to be used as a dry hop? Or can you guys only supply hops in multiples of 25g, and the remaining 12.5g aren't required?

Cheers

Blake

Just a quick update on my brewing of the "Helga's Cool Kolsch" ROTM.

I currently have it cold crashing & may transfer it to the keg later this afternoon. Having not brewed the Canadian Blonde kit or used the Helga hop I was very interested to see what sort of beer it would make. I admit to thinking the beer might come out a little bitter for my tastes given the kit IBU & the size of the boil additions of the Helga hop in the recipe, but this has not been the case.

I'm happy to report the ferment went well & stable FG was 1.010 (for me). The hydrometer sample tasted lovely actually. The Helga hop has worked extremely well in this brew, & given my limited samplings of commercial Kolsch beers, I would say the recipe has produced a lovely beer true to the style. cool

Given recent chat about the gap between real beer & megaswill, I think this is the sort of beer that bridges that gap where both craft brew beer drinkers, & megaswill drinkers could meet happily & both enjoy this type of beer.

I'm looking forward to pouring a few of these for some of my megaswill mates to see what they think. wink

Paul, if you're out there, well done again! smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

I had my first taste of the Helga's Cool Kolsch yesterday; great beer!

I found it had a good balance, was quite easy to drink & seems a really good summer beer.

SWMBO had a taste, & other than mention of the bitterness, she liked it.

Of course I pointed out that she enjoys dry white wine & sparkling wines, so I said that it's kind of like a beer version of a sparkling dry white, which she agreed on.

By far this is the best ROTM I've made/tasted so far, & I'll likely try to replicate it from ingredients at the LHBS in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
The craft Amber Ale looks tasty. Running out of storage space pouty

Agreed' date=' looks like it would be really tasty! Hard to argue with $30 + some of your time for a case of nice amber ale.[/quote']

Yes indeed John, I caved in. I was actually planning on doing a amber ale next so I guess it was meant to be. These ROTM deals are great to brew with different hops and get a feel for whats, what for new brewers like my self.

I am going to have to buy all the ingredients separate to put this one together since I cannot get the kits here in France. I sounds like it will be kind of like the Dead Pony Club I have been drinking lately but less bitterness at the end.

Wondering about the yeast? From what I have read Windsor Dry Yeast tends to cover up the flavour of the hops a bit. Anyone out there know if this is true?

Peggy

G'day Peggy,

Yes, I was wondering about that too. I thought Windsor is probably not great for that, because it doesn't attenuate very highly, so you might end up with the malt and hops fighting for front position a bit. It is also said to produce nice fruity esters which could either be a third competitor in the flavour mix, or blend in nicely with the fruity hops.

If I were buying the ingredients separately, I'd get something other than Windsor. For a summer ale I reckon you'd want a higher attenuator to leave the beer a bit drier, nice and refreshing for summer. Probably Nottingham, US-05 or BRY-97 would do the job.

Having said that I've never used Windsor, so if someone has successfully made a hoppy, refreshing beer with it I'm sure they'll jump in and tell me I'm wrong!

I also don't really like Stone & Wood Pacific ale (the style this recipe looks to be based on) because I find it tastes like Passionfruit soft drink. Maybe Windsor would give it a little bit more body which would make it more enjoyable. It must have worked well for PB2 in the ROTM practice batches!

Cheers,

John

Hi everyone' date='

i just cracked open last months ROTM (Goodnight America) and i noticed that the 50g bag of falconers flight hops has a pin prick hole in it so its no longer vacuum sealed. should i be too worried about this?

Thanks

CSG[/quote']Sorry CSG, have only just read your post. You could give them a whirl if they still smell okay but if they don't smell the best give the store a yell - let them know either way, we need this sort of feedback.

store@coopers.com.au

Oh and welcome to the forum! biggrin

Archived