Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darth Weizer is bottled - initial tasts tests are VERY NICE. FG was 1012 @22°C however it will still be in the 5%. I think I'll skip this one as I'm low on funds and just brewed a Red Ale Mini Mash with (secret ingredient). devil

• 2 weeks later...
I was being a bit sneaky and may or may not have stumbled upon the next ROTM...

Been gazing into my crystal ball again' date=' some nice ROTMs coming up over the next few months.

Was tempted to post previews like I did for the Weizen, but felt bad when I thought about potentially ruining the surprise.

Still, I'm not averse to giving out hints and being all cryptic! You guys like strong dark ales, right?

Probably a good time to stock up on Amber LME too... [img']http://www.forumspile.com/emoticons/Ninja-Invisible.gif[/img]

Amber LME has the same reputation as S-04 yeast in this brewery and the same fate - never using it again! lol

Not that I need to but if I was doing extracts... never enjoyed the flavour given by the amber LME.

Never tried the amber LME, what's wrong with it?

I did like the amber DME from my LHBS until I got better results with specialty grains.

And yes I love some strong dark ales - tell your secrets Gibbo!!!!!

Not that I need to but if I was doing extracts... never enjoyed the flavour given by the amber LME.

Good to hear that I'm not the only one who finds that about the Amber LME... I find that the LME is good when the beer is still quite young and fresh, but find that once the beer starts to get a bit older (after about 2 months), the LME leaves a distinct (almost stale) flavour and aroma. Perhaps that's just because the hop flavour and aroma has dissipated by then, so the amber is more noticeable?

As an alternative to using a tin of Amber LME, If I were to use about 1kg light DME instead, has anyone got any tips on what type and how much grain to steep with it in order to give it a similar colour and flavour profile to the Amber LME?

Cheers

Blake

Good to hear that I'm not the only one who finds that about the Amber LME... I find that the LME is good when the beer is still quite young and fresh' date=' but find that once the beer starts to get a bit older (after about 2 months), the LME leaves a distinct (almost stale) flavour and aroma. Perhaps that's just because the hop flavour and aroma has dissipated by then, so the amber is more noticeable?

As an alternative to using a tin of Amber LME, If I were to use about 1kg light DME instead, has anyone got any tips on what type and how much grain to steep with it in order to give it a similar colour and flavour profile to the Amber LME?

Cheers

Blake[/quote']

My American pales have been developing a nice amber hue with a fair whack of what I think is medium crystal. Bought some Mangrove Jacks crystal from the LHBS and it has no specifics on the packet but when compared to my light crystal from craftbrewer it is a bit darker.

Have been making very basic recipes with different hops for comparison and have been using just a homebrand lager tin, 1kg LDME, 500g Crystal cold steeped and a lil bit of dex to bump up the booze and loading these brews with Citra, Cascade, Columbus, etc. Very nice amber colour not so sure on the "amber" flavour of these hop bombs lol

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered this month's Craft ROTM to brew in my recently purchased 15lt fermenter.

HOP BOMB IPA

1.3kg Diablo IPA

250g Pale Malt Extract

25g Bravo Hop Pellets

25g Citra Hop Pellets

Lallemand BRY-97 Dry Yeast

Looking forward to a nice quick brew day.

I just ordered this month's Craft ROTM to brew in my recently purchased 15lt fermenter.

HOP BOMB IPA

1.3kg Diablo IPA

250g Pale Malt Extract

25g Bravo Hop Pellets

25g Citra Hop Pellets

Lallemand BRY-97 Dry Yeast

Looking forward to a nice quick brew day.

so if i wanted to make a double batch (17L), I'd just order 2 kits and double the qtys in the recipe yeah?

How many of the 8.5L ROTM to Coopers usually stock?

Already sold out :(

That was quick - I think the recent Father's day furnished a lot of people with the craft brew fermenters and a lot of people are stocking up. You can still get the tin and extra fermentables on the store and get the hops and yeast from a LHBS or from another online dealer - people can recommend a few if you don't know where to look.

That was quick - I think the recent Father's day furnished a lot of people with the craft brew fermenters and a lot of people are stocking up. You can still get the tin and extra fermentables on the store and get the hops and yeast from a LHBS or from another online dealer - people can recommend a few if you don't know where to look.

Just checking my stock and I've already got the tin and LME, so looks like I'll be visiting my LHBS this weekend!!

Just checking my stock and I've already got the tin and LME' date=' so looks like I'll be visiting my LHBS this weekend!![/quote']

Good stuff!! Don't feel locked into those hops or yeast either, plenty of combos will make a good IPA

OK... It's the first of October and the Tsar's Tar is still up... I've already got one of those on the way but want to know what's next... is it Gibbo who seems to have a crystal ball for these things?

As this is a dark super strong beer, the next one will be summer beer.

The "Cooper Trooper", a mid-strength ale in the same vein as the Constable Copper ale.

Although I am not sure if I have been using my crystal ball or crystal meth.

OK... It's the first of October and the Tsar's Tar is still up... I've already got one of those on the way but want to know what's next... is it Gibbo who seems to have a crystal ball for these things?

As this is a dark super strong beer' date=' the next one will be summer beer.

The "Cooper Trooper", a mid-strength ale in the same vein as the Constable Copper ale.

Although I am not sure if I have been using my crystal ball or crystal meth.[/quote']

Let's go with Crystal malt :)

Seriously though, when will it come up? I'm hanging for some ROTM

Although I am not sure if I have been using my crystal ball or crystal meth.[/quote']

Just a guess but I'm going to say at the end of the month.

Just a guess but I'm going to say at the end of the month.

Lol spot on Northy... Usually around 25-27th of the month.

Did you miss seeing the September ROTM NikZak?

I ordered this months bad boy, geez it's going to be amazing

Archived