Coopers Community

Recipe of the Month

wizbang04

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My advice to any brew dude who hasn't done one of these is to get on with it.

I had one of mine from 2011 and apart from the delicate fruity aromas (of which I have none after 5 years plus I used Nelson Sauvin) the description of taste in the recipe is almost spot on. Smooth and malty with hits of caramel and hints of honey.

Ever done a toucan?

New to the brewing caper?

Have patience?

Want something different?

I have aged a few kit brews and this is the best one, however don't be expect to be drinking this one at 2 weeks. And defs hide a couple away so that you find them in five years time.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Just ordered my very first ROTM pack ESVA. Never done one before really looking forwards to it. I have one question so far.

Should I use the 2 kit yeasts and the us-05, should I use 2x us-05 or recultured commercial yeast?

I assume they say use the kit yeast as it adds flavours?

Cheers

Nopants

• 3 weeks later...

Just put a Carribbean porter down this morning,

Had to import the Devils 1/2 ruby can from Au (to Nz) so its a $$$$ brew,

Im using a normal 23L FV so 24L is going to be right up to the neck, souts Ive done before has said to start at 21L & top up to 23L after the initial krausen explosion, is this going to be ok doing that for this brew, PS - to late now as Ive started at 21L!!

Any thoughts on cold crashing this or have people just brewed & bottled?

The ducks are lining up pretty regularly these days.

I bought two bottles of the Hobart Brewing Company's limited release Saison at the Microbrew Festival on the weekend. Can't wait for a limited release worthy occasion to celebrate.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Saisons are great' date=' I highly recommend everyone wrap their lips around one. That French one looks good too. Looks in the area of Biere De Garde.[/quote']

I attempted to brew a recipe similar to this a few years back as it looked yummy. Unfortunately the liquid yeast failed on me! annoyed

The recipe looks really nice. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm cracking open the first Caribbean today, the tastes at FG were great, so I'm hoping to be impressed. Anyone enjoying it yet?

Got all the other recent kits too. The Bock in Black, for a kit beer with no hop or grain additions, is really damn nice. So strong it's a bit psychedelic. Wouldn't be drinking multiple pints of that. Mudlust is nice too, although a couple times I'm sure I could detect a faint hint of kit twang under the tasty grainy notes.

I guess with the ROTM's I've been hoping to prove that it's possible to make a decent kit beer with an interesting recipe and some additions, and so far so good.

• 2 weeks later...

Finding the Caribbean a bit hard going actually, turned out good, but it's so dang rich and sour it turns on me pretty quick.

Think that's a style thing, and the weather's warming up so I put it down to that. Might age it another couple months and see how I like it then, or leave it for next winter ;)

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't, but I bought the ROTM and I'm hoping that the yeast eats up all the sugar and just leaves a hint of pineapple.

The closest thing I've done is the MJ's limited edition Grapefruit IPA, nice beer but the grapefruit cordial taste can be a bit much some days. I can't always tell if I like it or just tolerate it because the TV's on and it's what's in the glass tongue

I'm interested to hear how anyone who made the Macho Macchiato found it?

I made it up as an Imperial Milk Stout (to 11 litres), then fermented cold with a big pitch of Munich lager yeast. Sipping one last night it is sensational. Ended up at about 9% ABV after bottle-conditioning and is rich, smooth, roasty, full-bodied with a hint of rumminess. Too easy to drink!

This got me wondering what it would have been like made to the original recipe.

• 6 months later...
24 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I wonder can the coconut be dry hopped commando style rather than the roasting it first. I use my frying pan to cook all sorts and wouldn’t trust transferring from it to the fv

You can toast it in the oven. Lay it on a tray with baking paper and give it a bit off a shake now and then. Just keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn’t burn.

Archived