Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Just put down another Coopers APA with steeped Cascade.

1.7kg can Coopers Australian Pale Ale

500g malt, 250g Dextrose, 250g Maltodextrin.

Steeped 12g Cascade finishing hop bag for about 20 mins whilst getting everything going, then just dunked it all into the mix and stirred it through.

I'm sure the bag is still in there somewhere, but it hasn't surfaced yet.

Pitched at 26c with the yeast that came with the can, and will add another bag of Cascade on day 3.

Must remember to remove the bags a week later, as if they're left in too long they tend to leave a bit of a grassy taste in the brew.

OG was 1040.

It's a much simpler batch than a few of my recent efforts; ESVA, Artisan Reserve, but as noted previously, and as many others do, I like to make a simple sessionable brew from time to time, to allow the more complex beers to condition and age.

Still waiting to hear from my younger brother who said he had a bunch of FULL bottles he wanted to offload as he's moving to kegging; not holding my breath, but the idea of free bottles with beer in them is pretty tempting; just hope it isn't the usual family thing where I accept the bottles and find there's a catch that makes them less appealing; like having to help the olds move when they sell the house next month or something (they're my estranged parents for very good reason).

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chad.

Brew Day!!

Mt. Hood Pale Ale

5. Kg Pale malt

2. Vienna

.5 Wheat malt

.5 Victory

35g Mt. Hood 3.5% (FWH)

25g Columbus 12.5% (60mins)

25g Mt. Hood (0mins)

42L

US-05/Notto

OG 1.056 Mashed @ 67C SRM 5 IBU 34

I like your recipe. cool

I brewed a very similar recipe to this (excluding the Columbus) back in early 2013. It was the first time I had ever used Mt. Hood before. I was very pleased with the end beer. happy

Ken Lenard: Dancing Bear Extra Pale Ale (4th recipe up from the bottom of the page)

I took a bit of a shine to Mt. Hood from that day onward' date=' & have used it in another 4 or 5 brews since, including as part of a 3 hop combo with the Coopers home brew version of the ESVA that turned out very well.

I'd actually use the hop more often if it wasn't so low alpha. [img']pouty[/img]

I'm not sure on how the Columbus will influence things, but I 'd still expect a nice beer in the end.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Put a last minute brew on Saturday night whilst the Mrs was making some dessert!

had a can of Coopers real ale and 1kg LDME, 250g dextrose, 20g saaz hops for 10min. boil, Coopers kit yeast. Filled to 23L but SG was too high for my liking, 1065 so I added water to 26L and achieved SG 1042.

this is my 6th batch. All different beers so far.

had everything in the cupboard but was planning on making something else with the real ale but got sick of looking for a recipe.

One thing I've started doing is keep half the bottled batch my current drinking stock pile and other half hidden in my shed. Wonder if they will improve... All brews been nice from 4 weeks old though

Put a last minute brew on Saturday night whilst the Mrs was making some dessert!

had a can of Coopers real ale and 1kg LDME' date=' 250g dextrose, 20g saaz hops for 10min. boil, Coopers kit yeast. Filled to 23L but SG was too high for my liking, 1065 so I added water to 26L and achieved SG 1042.

this is my 6th batch. All different beers so far.

had everything in the cupboard but was planning on making something else with the real ale but got sick of looking for a recipe.

One thing I've started doing is keep half the bottled batch my current drinking stock pile and other half hidden in my shed. Wonder if they will improve... All brews been nice from 4 weeks old though[/quote']

I think you may be having trouble with either your hydrometer, or using your hydrometer.

The kit, 1kg LDM and 250g dextrose in 23 litres should give you an OG around 1043 (give or take a couple of points).

In 26 litres you are looking at an OG around 1038.

So your OG seems unusually high and it shouldn't drop 23 points by adding an additional 3 litres of water.

Hi Chad.
Brew Day!!

Mt. Hood Pale Ale

5. Kg Pale malt

2. Vienna

.5 Wheat malt

.5 Victory

35g Mt. Hood 3.5% (FWH)

25g Columbus 12.5% (60mins)

25g Mt. Hood (0mins)

42L

US-05/Notto

OG 1.056 Mashed @ 67C SRM 5 IBU 34

I like your recipe. cool

I brewed a very similar recipe to this (excluding the Columbus) back in early 2013. It was the first time I had ever used Mt. Hood before. I was very pleased with the end beer. happy

Ken Lenard: Dancing Bear Extra Pale Ale (4th recipe up from the bottom of the page)

I took a bit of a shine to Mt. Hood from that day onward' date=' & have used it in another 4 or 5 brews since, including as part of a 3 hop combo with the Coopers home brew version of the ESVA that turned out very well.

I'd actually use the hop more often if it wasn't so low alpha. [img']pouty[/img]

I'm not sure on how the Columbus will influence things, but I 'd still expect a nice beer in the end.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey Lusty,

Thanks for the post.

There are a lot of nice recipes on the link that you posted.. I'll be referencing some of those in the future.cool.

I'm hoping for a nice Balance beer from the malty bill with the Mt hood. The Columbus is in there all because I needed more bitterness than the Mt. hood could provide at 3.4%. Columbus is a new hop for me as well as the Mt. Hood so I thought I`d experiment with both in one brew.

G'day Otto

I've also had some challenging times milling some types of grain. I did a little reading (though I had no problems with the last 2 batches so I didn't need to try it)' date=' but my next go to plan when I have problems is to moisten the problematic grain and reduce the gap. I have no idea if it works, but I'll let you know the results when I next need to try something different.

Cheers and good luck (and that SNPA looks nice)

Phil

I tell ya what, it's bloody annoying to say the least. I have about 3/4 of a pail of this malt left to use up now. It's a 20L pail but I know it doesn't hold 20kg of grain. Probably a bit over 2 batches worth left so I'll deal with it til then, then not buy it again.

Anyway, the SNPA one is a cracking recipe, last time I brewed it, it turned out a tad hoppier and not as thick bodied as the original, which I actually enjoyed more. The flavour though was pretty well spot on, just a tad less sweetness. I don't like thick bodied pale beers, so this was a positive outcome. I wouldn't say SNPA is thick bodied in the scheme of things but the home brewed version was slightly drier and a bit more refreshing.

Come to think of it, almost all of my home brewed pale ales are drier and more refreshing than commercially available ones. Still heaps of flavour though.

Cheers

Kelsey

Recipe: Summer's Here Pale Ale

Style: American Pale

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Estimated OG: 1.061 SG

Estimated Color: 11.1 EBC

Estimated IBU: 57.6 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

3.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)

2.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann)

1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston)

15.00 g Magnum [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

50.00 g Jarrylo Steep

1.0 pkg Pacific Ale (White Labs #WLP041)

Birdy num num!

Where do you find these interesting hops?

Jarrylo is the god of fertility, heralding spring. The presented was as a barefoot young man (or more rarely a girl), in a white robe, a white horse, with a wreath on his head. attributes of deity are based or sheaf of grain in one hand and in the other a human head.

Aroma: Pear, orange, spicy, fruity

Alpha: 15- 17 %

Beta: 7.37 %

We expect to see a pic of you appropriately dressed astride your white horse with a glass of this beer in hand in a few months time.

Brew day today! happy

250cc Pale Ale v.2

Coopers Light LME 1.5kg

LDM 250gms

Dextrose 100gms

Munich Malt grain 500gms

Maris Otter grain 500gms

Medium Crystal grain 250gms

CaraHell grain 250gms

Warrior 10gms @ 45mins

Riwaka 15gms @ 20mins

Citra 20gms/Nelson Sauvin 15gms/Riwaka 15gms @ 5mins

Nelson Sauvin/Riwaka 15gms @ flameout

Centennial 20gms @ flameout.

Citra/Centennial/Nelson Sauvin/Riwaka 25gms dry hopped.

Re-hydrated Nottingham yeast

Brewed to 23 litres.

OG = approx. 1.045

FG = approx. 1.012

EBC = 14.9 IBU = 31.6.

v.1 is drinking very well at the moment from the keg, & am looking forward to this one down the track. Excluding the malt bill & hop changes, I did reduce the IBU down a bit (to suit my own tastes) by shaving 15mins off the Warrior bittering addition & reducing the 20 minute addition from 20gms down to 15gms.

Riwaka & Nelson Sauvin....Yum! love

Anyways,....mash is nearly done, so I better get back to it. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Tonight I put down my melting pot pale ale. Tried a few new things in this brew: mashing in my 10 litre Esky beverage cooler, throwing loose hops into the boil and using a Wyeast smack-pack.

Grain bill:

1.2kg Maris Otter

700g Munich I

85g Pale Crystal

8g Carafa Special I

90min mash @ 70C

At least that was the plan ... I ordered exact quantities from Craftbrewer and it ended up weighing 2056g instead of the 1993g I expected. So I have no idea what the real grain bill was! Strike water volume = 6 litres, sparge volume = 4 litres. After losses to grain absorption this left me with about 8.5 litres going into the boil.

Extract: 250g Light dry malt (added with 15 minutes left to go on the boil)

Hops:

8g Nelson Sauvin @90mins

8g Pacific Hallertau @90mins

4g Nelson Sauvin @20mins

4g Pacific Hallertau @20mins

5g Nelson Sauvin @flameout (steep for 15 mins + chilling time)

5g Pacific Hallertau @flameout (as above)

Chilled in an ice bath, topped up to 10 litres in the fermenter and pitched a very swollen packet of Wyeast 1056 @17C

Now this didn't quite go as planned. Based on 60% efficiency I was projecting an OG of 1.047. Turned out that either I got an insane level of mash efficiency or something was amiss with my reading because I got two (yes I double-checked) OG readings of 1.081! surprised. Adding a couple of litres of water and giving things a good stir got the gravity reading down to 1.047 which was what I was after. And no worries about the hops being out of balance, I must've got great utilization because tasting my initial gravity samples revealed a massive dose of hop bitterness, flavour and aroma.

Man, scaling 1800 litre commercial recipes down to 10 litre partial mash batches properly is hard! Next time I will increase my estimated efficiency and scale down the hops a little. This is a recipe I'm going to make over and over until I get it perfect.

I do love my little Esky for mashing though, it holds the temp so much better than my pot on the stove. I put a pot holder on top of the lid then wrapped it in my zip-up fleece fermenter jacket and it only lost about 1.5C over the 90 minute mash. The spigot is handy to. And my water volumes were almost spot on this time for the mash / sparge / boil which made things easy.

And next time I'll order my grains separately and weigh them out myselfpinched

Hi Porschemad.

I admire the lengths you are going to for a small batch AG brew. I really do. What you do at this lower volume & the feedback you gain from experienced AG brewers on the forum will only fast track your brewing to full volume AG brewing.

Any man with that sort of dedication is bound to end up a category winner in a major brewing competition he actually bothers to enter. wink

I look at this sort of info from time to time, so I'll look for your name in about 2 years time in the Canberra home-brewing circle media releases. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Anthony.

Recipe: Semtex Pale Ale

Style: American Pale Ale

--------------------------

Estimated OG: 1.055 SG

Estimated Color: 21.9 EBC

Estimated IBU: 46.5 IBUs

------------

4.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)

0.50 kg Munich II (Weyermann)

0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston)

0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann)

10.00 g Magnum [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

25.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Steep

25.00 g Centennial [9.40 %] - Steep

25.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Steep

25.00 g Columbus [15.50 %] - Steep

20.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Dry Hop

20.00 g Centennial [9.40 %] - Dry Hop

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Dry Hop

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technically, brew day was a little under a week ago, but it was topping up and pitching a cube, so not really worth mentioning -- what is worth mentioning is that it was the second half of my 23L-recipe-in-a-Craft-FV Real Ale experiment that had been cubed for around a month. No infections, taste-test was decent, and I'm now wondering how long I could realistically store some pre-mixed wort in my little 5L cube.

Also -- I bottled it tonight so I thought I'd take the opportunity to show off one crate of the ~160 bottles I managed to snag on Gumtree. Got a stack of Schwelmer bottles for around 40c each (less than half the price of PET bottles!), and while they were a bit manky-looking before, a good soak in oxyclean, a thorough brushing and some special attention for the seals, and they came up an absolute treat:

pmMoUaB.jpg

Count me among the happy campers!

Hey Ben,

I can keep it around 22 - 24° quite easily but in saying that some of my recent brews have tasted a tad on the boring side. I mean they're 100% drinkable but nothing mind blowing. What would you suggest?

Hi Mark.

I can keep it around 22 - 24° quite easily but in saying that some of my recent brews have tasted a tad on the boring side. I mean they're 100% drinkable but nothing mind blowing. What would you suggest?

Perhaps some of the discussion in the thread I started about this brew last year' date=' you might find helpful.

Coopers kit based Saison!

Let the temp gradually rise throughout ferment, & go get the funk I say! tonguewink

You'll love it Mark. Great recipe! lovecool

Cheers & good luck with the brew,

Anthony.

What would you suggest?

Maybe do two.

Control one and leave the other at ambient? Depends what ambient temp is for you at the moment I guess.

Last one I bottled sat in the brew shed with day time temps of 28°c, so there is a chance the brew was a few degrees higher at times.

Bell Saison can get face puckeringly funky as it warms. Strangely though it can taste very malty while being thin and highly alcoholic.

My latest had the Yeast Bays Saison Blend and was no where near as funky out of the FV.

Archived