Coopers Community

What's on The Menu -2023

iBooz2

Many years ago I lived in Ouyen VIC. (Yes I know the Bare Foot Investor's mum and dad). Every two weeks they held a sheep sale down at the sale yards and sent wagons of the prime Mallee lambs off to Melbourne via a special stock train.  We got together and nominated a bloke who knew sheep well (NO do not go there) and we sent him over to buy a whole pen at a time as that was the volume they were sold in.

We would pay 22 kangaroo $ per head on the hoof.  We had to butcher them ourselves (or ask / pay someone else to) and if we gave the sheep buyer the sheep skins after skinning then we got 4 kangaroo $ back so that equated to 18 kangaroo $ for a whole sheep in your freezer.  I had a special hook made up to hang the meat for a couple of days in a cool area.  Used to use an old bed sheet sown up to drape over them to stop any fly strike.

And I might add it was the best lamb meat you could eat no matter what your favourite cut was.  So @stquinto I reckon a 9 rib cut of lamb cutlets on my BBQ back then was about 2 kangaroo $ for the lot let alone per kg.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

It is not too many years ago when lamb was a very reasonably priced meat, at least here in Australia. A leg of lamb roast was a great and reasonably priced meal, however these days it is a different story. Anecdotally I have heard that the sheep industry employed some high powered marketers to improve the image of lamb meat etc, and seems that they were very successful.

Use to love a good cut of lamb but it's on par with beef now. Due to price the old meat and 3 veg has changed. Do more slow cooking, chicken, sausages etc. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Use to love a good cut of lamb but it's on par with beef now. Due to price the old meat and 3 veg has changed. Do more slow cooking, chicken, sausages etc. 

I agree, the price of Beef & lamb is appalling, Pork is fairly priced as Chicken, so I tend to go for them as well as Fish & Seafood.

I like a Steak as much as anyone (I mean the cooked ones Stquinta) so I do treat myself now & again. Even Minced Meat is a ridiculous price.

Fortunately, I like Stir-fries, Pasta & Rice dishes so there is always something to eat.

Pizza deserves a mention too.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, beach_life said:

For those interested it was a red paste cooked down with stock and without coconut cream. I bought the paste - I have made my own - as I was time poor. I used tofu and chicken that I cooked yesterday for a laksa in chilli, galangal, ginger, lemon grass, kaffir lime (all from the yard) and garlic. Really figgen nice.

I bet it was! Sounds awesome.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

On my walk on the beach this morning I found this little fella, he didn't seem to want to go back in the water, I don't know the rules for 'sand kill bluey's are but he is not a bad size. 

20230130_100941.thumb.jpg.a93620cbd4f58fd2a64efcf6e4cf16e8.jpg

No matter how you find them, or catch them fella, they have to be of legal size if you want to take it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, beach_life said:

Big fan, reminds me of me mum's cooking (shite as it was) the strog was a staple and quite good too.

Out of interest, what did she serve it with? In the 70s it was often rice, which doesn’t float my boat for a creamy sauce

Yeah, much better. Actually it was more 80s now that I think about it. I fancy knocking up a Chicken Kiev soon…

Got an interesting cookbook with that kind of stuff, not bad, got some great (and not so great) classics: The Prawn Cocktail Years

BDA16511-C28E-4C27-BBB5-2B2F71C7BAF6.jpeg

• Haha 2