Coopers Community

What's on The Menu -2023

iBooz2

On 1/17/2023 at 9:11 AM, Mickep said:

Fried rice with a cracking Thai influenced chilli, vege, seafood chicken stir fry. 

@Mickep Geez Mick, are you sure you’re not the Thai King?  You sure as hell are dinning like him.  Well done on all your very fine dishes, absolutely superb.

• Haha 2

Vol au vent’s for dinner last night.  The HSSH suggested a tuna Mornay contained in crepes or vol au vents and the latter won.

Sauntered brown opinion, red capsicum, and corn kernels in EVOO.  Packet Mornay mix, milk, cream, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, peas and of course canned Tuna.  Topped with Parmesan cheese and put under the grill to brown.

Polished off two bottles of Chardonnay as we ate these along with some garden salad.  Then it was some left over Christmas pudding and fresh made custard for dessert.

Vol au vent's for dinner - resized.png

• Like 8

16 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Vol au vent’s for dinner last night.  The HSSH suggested a tuna Mornay contained in crepes or vol au vents and the latter won.

Sauntered brown opinion, red capsicum, and corn kernels in EVOO.  Packet Mornay mix, milk, cream, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, peas and of course canned Tuna.  Topped with Parmesan cheese and put under the grill to brown.

Polished off two bottles of Chardonnay as we ate these along with some garden salad.  Then it was some left over Christmas pudding and fresh made custard for dessert.

Vol au vent's for dinner - resized.png

They look yummy mate 👍 

Love a vol-au-vent, quite popular here

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

A last run of the Goulash. This was was made out of Bambi’s mum, or was it Bambi’s dad? Dubbo, just said cubed venison shoulder. 

looks nice Stquinta, I love a Goulash & as you probably know there are traditional methods & of course many variations.

Here is some trivia for those not acquainted with it. Good to see you using a different meat, you can even use chicken.

What is Hungarian Goulash?

Goulash, or as Hungarians call it, gulyás, means “herdsman.”  Its origins date back to the 9th century Magyar shepherds as a simple meat and onion stew prepared in heavy iron kettles known as bogracs.  In the 15th century invading Ottoman Turks introduced a new spice to Hungary, paprika.  While the rest of Europe remained lukewarm towards this red chili pepper from the New World, Hungary embraced it and paprika has since become a defining element of Hungarian cuisine.

Goulash is kind of in between a soup and a stew.  Unlike some stews, Goulash is not overly packed full of beef and vegetables, it is a little more brothy.  But through the cooking process, the broth becomes thicker and more like a rich sauce.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Fillet Steak tonight, cooked Medium 63c as I like it. I only had Kestrel Potatoes & they make lousy chips.

Overall, it was nice with the Siraz of course.

Stquinta I didn't have vampires hanging around either. 

Ha Ha - all of my avatar's are now buggered.

20230119_185454.jpg

20230119_185522.jpg

20230119_190628.jpg

917c4977c478647d4f1ba5c54049b31c.jpg

Looks great Phil 👍

The one at the bottom reminds me of what you get in Ireland regardless of what you ask for 😆 

“How would you loike your steak cooked sorr? It’ll not be makin’ the bloind bit a difference now, it’ll be endin’ up grey…”

Agree with the wrong type of spuds for chip, don’t work at all unless they’re a bit floury

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Looks great Phil 👍

The one at the bottom reminds me of what you get in Ireland regardless of what you ask for 😆 

“How would you loike your steak cooked sorr? It’ll not be makin’ the bloind bit a difference now, it’ll be endin’ up grey…”

Agree with the wrong type of spuds for chip, don’t work at all unless they’re a bit floury

Yes, I always soak them in water for 1/2 to get rid of the starch but varieties like these tend to burn easily but still crunchy & taste OK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Looks great Phil 👍

I know what you mean, that's why I don't order steak when I am out unless it is an established steakhouse (which are dwindling these days)

Does anyone remember the old 'Sizzler Restaurants'? There were a few in Adelaide but I am not sure about the other states.

We also had the Arkuba Steakhouse in Chesser Street, City which was great & a few others, you were always guaranteed a steak cooked to your liking. The Elephant & Castle Hotel are still one of the few places left after 40 years in business.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I know what you mean, that's why I don't order steak when I am out unless it is an established steakhouse (which are dwindling these days)

Does anyone remember the old 'Sizzler Restaurants'? There were a few in Adelaide but I am not sure about the other states.

We also had the Arkuba Steakhouse in Chesser Street, City which was great & a few others, you were always guaranteed a steak cooked to your liking. The Elephant & Castle Hotel are still one of the few places left after 40 years in business.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one mate. I only order a steak if I'm in a proper steak house, but they are pretty damned expensive these days. If ever I was in London on a Monday there's a chain of decent steakhouses where you could take your own bottle of wine and they'd only charge a fiver for corkage. I know you fellas have a lot of BYOB places but they tend to charge quite a bit otherwise.

This place charged £5 regardless the size of the bottle, so I'd take a magnum for two 😉

https://thehawksmoor.com/

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

Edited by stquinto
added photo
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Yeah, I'm with you on that one mate. I only order a steak if I'm in a proper steak house, but they are pretty damned expensive these days. If ever I was in London on a Monday there's a chain of decent steakhouses where you could take your own bottle of wine and they'd only charge a fiver for corkage. I know you fellas have a lot of BYOB places but they tend to charge quite a bit otherwise.

This place charged £5 regardless the size of the bottle, so I'd take a magnum for two 😉

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

Very nice but as you know I need it cooked a bit more, Cheers.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

IMG_2836.jpg

n

I was pleasantly surprised that wine in UK is very affordable and wine by the glass was about the same price as Australia but you got about three times as much.

Alcoholic beverages are very expensive in Australia with the never ending six month increases in State and Commonwealth government excise, taxes and charges.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2