Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

18 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Too early to do any cleanup at my home course, it's still flooded and no access to it as the roads are all closed around it. By the time it's receded my work will probably be pretty much back to normal again too so spare time will be pretty scarce. The weekend I could do a bit if they are out there. 

Gailes is a little different, most of the fairways slope sideways, so there usually isn't too much casual water around, it also didn't flood. It'll be damp more than usual for sure, their conditions are to tee the ball up through the green, but either way, crap golf is better than no golf even if it's just to practice my swing. 

wasnt having ago, its just something i like doing mate if i can around my course when i can  , alot of players at any course around the world  will complain to the high heaven through natural dissaster or just to working bee on course but  they never offer up any help but want the best of conditions and will complain if the greenkeeper had no time to pick a fallen branch from the high winds they may had the day before..

How do you think your course will Fair after the floodwaters subside and how will they effect the greens in which i hope they dont get washed away due to the flood water

yes agree any golf is better then no golf

• Like 1

All good mate. I'm just waiting to see if the club puts out anything about getting something happening once it subsides. There is more rain predicted later in the week into the weekend as well which won't help. Apparently the greens are fine, a couple of the staff were able to mow them yesterday morning except the 5th which is still underwater. There were just the 3 of them under, 1st and 4th were the others. 

I have managed to get a tee time at Gailes today at 10:09 in their comp, apparently there's been a number of others from my club doing the same lol. I also figured with that rain being a possibility I'd take advantage of being given another day off and get a game in while the weather is good and I'm not working. I'm not expecting to play fantastic given I haven't swung a club for a week and a half but maybe it won't take too long to come back to me. Will be good to get out at least. 

• Like 3

Played off 16 today and shot 91(+18) today for 34 points. Might be enough to drop my cap a smidge. It was pretty hot and humid for basically the whole round, not much breeze around to provide any relief. I think it finally drained me near the end as I started swinging lazy and spraying it a bit. Not the best way to finish off but I was happy with my tee shots for the round, didn't hit my irons all that well but I'm not used to teeing balls up in the fairway either. I decided to take advantage on this hole though and hit driver twice 😂

1041750580_Screenshot_20220302-143850_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.f724cc134e54bdb9a6c11e22c04d9844.jpg

• Like 1

Wednesday Comp, Stroke:

Missed my first shot right, recovery also a bit right and caught some trees near the green, Not to be seen again... 8

Steadied after that, till the 7th, when a blade out of a bunker put me in some real rubbish ending with a 9 

Over all happy with the day, ended with 6 pars and a net score 72, what could have been with out two crap holes.

GA dropped .5 to 18.4

Round 1 : Blue - Handicap [ 17.88 ]
Total 72
out 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 out
Par 4 4 5 4 3 4 4 3 4 35
Strokes 8 4 7 4 3 5 9 3 5 48
Score 3 -1 1 -1 -1 0 4 -1 0 -9
in 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 in
Par 3 4 5 4 3 4 4 3 4 34
Strokes 3 6 6 5 4 5 5 4 4 42
Score -1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 -1

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Mine dropped 0.3 to 16.4, so I've dropped a full 4 shots since Jan 1. 7.4 shots left to get to my goal by the end of the year. 

Well done

Stay on track and you will reach your goal.

I'd like to get back to 16 (my lowest ever), not consistent enough to play any lower.

• Like 1

Cheers. I've got a mini goal of getting to 13 by the end of June which will leave 4 shots for the second half of the year. Obviously things are a bit interrupted at the moment so it may move out a tad with irregular playing and not being able to get any lessons for a while, however my improved driving accuracy is certainly helping to keep scores around my handicap. If I can keep that up and work on iron accuracy then I can look forward to improvement. As long as I can shoot my handicap or near enough to it most rounds then it'll gradually drop as will my scores along with it. 

My short game is something that needs regular playing and practice otherwise I end up losing my touch on distance control like I did yesterday, so hopefully this flood situation is over soon. Just had a ridiculous thunderstorm this morning, exactly what I wanted going back to work. 

• Like 1

I was surprised to get another day off today, so of course I figured I'd go play again. Fortunately forecast storms didn't make it to the course. Didn't play in the comp today assuming they had one, just a practice round by myself until I caught up to a couple of guys on the 12th tee who were being held up by a foursome in front, and we played together for the rest of the round. 

Same conditions as Wednesday with teeing balls up, so apart from the first hole I used driver for my second shot on all par 5s. I was happy with the front 9, a couple of silly missed putts prevented it from being sub 40, although I did putt better overall for the round. I lost my swing a bit on the back 9, primarily off the tee but also on some approach shots. Others I had hit straight but the wet ground caused them to fall short of greens. Short game was better today which helped. 

It's the first time I've broken 90 on this particular course so that was nice too. If it had been a comp round I daresay the handicap would have dropped below 16. This hole was an ugly par, but it was nice to make after punching a 3 iron through a small gap in the trees with a deliberate draw to the back of the green for a regulation chip and putt. This is a part of the game I'd like to improve as well for those occasions where the tee shots go off line. 

96904691_Screenshot_20220304-171803_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.be32fb4bbe7a1eab8a3500daf8252d60.jpg

• Like 1

Very Nice, can only hope the work and the course are back to normal soon.

I spend a fair amount of time on my short game and when it's on, it's a good day.

If I have a day when my driving and short game both work.. Look out..

Played Thursday with a couple of mates who don't have Handicaps, good company but I miss the edge that a comp brings.

Played ok but hit one drive which Sliced across the large rough and across the next fairway to end on a mound...!!

haven't been that wide for a long time.

See what tomorrow brings.

• Like 1

My home course is still closed for now but if the rain would piss off for a while then yeah things will get back to normal soon. 

I should spend more time practising my short game, understandably it's been a bit difficult lately but usually I spend about half an hour before a round working on it. Other than that it doesn't get much work, but when I play regularly enough it is usually pretty good. It needs to be as I do miss a lot of greens, too many really. For some reason it's a part of the game that comes pretty naturally to me. It's only when I have these annoying longer periods without anything that it goes downhill. Hitting the ball itself is fine, but I lose my distance control. 

I am a bit the same, I'd rather play in comps than not but I do enjoy non comp rounds as well because I can work on stuff without worrying about the score too much. Stupid part is I usually score better during those rounds. 

I would have been off 15 today if it was a comp, so nett 71 or 38 points. Definitely would have dropped the cap below 16. 

• Like 1

Saturday Comp, Stroke:

Started Ok but slowly went down hill.. The odd good drive and pitch/chip but over all just rubbish in the end

Played off 17 (lowest for awhile) but after taking 106 strokes for a net 89 not much mattered.

Windy day but not excuse for the way I played.

More practice needed before Wednesdays game.

• Like 3

Those rounds are nightmarish. I haven't had a real blowout for a little while, hopefully I don't but some days nothing works. 

I have booked comp rounds for Friday, Saturday and Sunday this coming weekend, the Friday is a maybe. If I have to work I'll just cancel it Thursday night but if I am off then I have a game booked and don't have to ring around in hope 

• Like 2

Better today, (compared to last round) Very Windy day and the greens have been sanded.

Wiped the first, put my third shot over the OB fence, big pull, got what it deserved.

Birded the third, Yes (fist pump), steady from then on, usual up and down play.

Hit the green three times (par 4) for two only to THREE putt......

Finished with 17 &20 for 37 

GA dropped .7 to 17.9

Good day overall but felt I left so much behind.

• Like 4

Most rounds I feel like that. If only I didn't chunk that or top this or bail out of my swing early and hit a stupid slice there... But 37 is a decent score, well done. 3 putt bogeys are annoying though. 

Good news for my course, it's finally drying out enough to get back out there. They're reopening the course on Saturday, just for walking on the weekend then carts back probably Monday depending on weather. I'm playing both days, Saturday off the blues and Sunday off the whites, off 16 and 15 respectively, although Sunday's daily could change depending on how I play Saturday. Looking forward to getting back to hopefully some regular playing again. 

• Like 2

whats your worse day of Golf in your life in comp golf

Playing St Johns Heritage  out Lilydale way  victoria.   1st hole Parred for a 3 points for par   2nd wipe 3rd 1point 4th wipe 5th wipe
6th 1 point 7 3 points for wipe    now  the rest of card all wipes   one bloke on 14 points said  you aint got naga this time oz, i said you sure about that .   he said yes 100%   so i didnt tell him the score and begrudgingly i handed the card in    

come presentations    Naga award this round goes to     and the bloke on 14 pinned his eyes on me    and it was OZ with a record score for Naga  8 points  and only scored on 4 holes  

Now it was embarrassing but those that played with me  said you was htting the ball ok  the water and hazards just didnt do me justice

but it wasnt the finest game

• Haha 3

I'd have to go back through my handicap record to find out. A couple of games early on when my handicap was way too low wouldn't have been great, then more recently after I started having lessons I was playing like crap for a little while until I got the hang of the new swing. A couple of 21 point games there, I also had a 102/82 in a black markers comp. 

• Like 1

Blue markers Stableford today, was good to get back on the home course again. You can tell where the floodwaters went, bits of crusty mud in parts of fairways and the dusting of it on trees. Overall though it was in good condition apart from the bunkers which are GUR at the moment. 

I started off well with a par then a couple of bad holes before playing the next 6 in -1 to be +4 at the turn. The swing got a bit loose on the back again which I need to work on, but still managed 17 points to shoot 3 under my handicap. Hit my longest drive for a while too which was nice. The computer we usually use to process our cards was out of order (NBN down) and unfortunately they incorrectly entered my card (see bottom pic), I will sort it out when I go in tomorrow to play again though. 

678596_Screenshot_20220312-175853_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.aa4f1b750b6912a2425c805ab11f1ed2.jpg

1923146868_Screenshot_20220312-182157_OxleyGolfclub.thumb.jpg.d692e0d7f42848fea4656f0b681d654e.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers. At it again today with 38 points with a wipe on the last when I couldn't find my tee shot. Long range putting was crap so there were a couple of 3 putt bogeys. But I did get a rare birdie on 12 courtesy of another one of those punchy 3 irons under tree branches and a long putt that actually dropped. Won the comp too. Handicap dropped by .8 to 15.5, but I reckon it'll be lower once I get yesterday's card sorted out. 

1980591451_Screenshot_20220313-153720_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2065b2f95985d73fc7fcddcd5b2f1ba4.jpg

• Like 2

golf this weekend was a waste of a cart ride to be honest   ,  it was a total train wreck if i played good hole my partner would  crash and vice versa  we are just thankful it wasnt multiplier  stableford

in result of my bad game i have sacked myself from the group and given myself a 1 week ban

• Haha 2

Saturday Comp: Stableford

Started with a cracker of a drive and scored ok for the first nine to turn the corner with 16 points.

Wiped the next two holes, a blade out of a bunker followed by another blade back. Put my next tee shot out of bounds...

Steady golf after that and finished with 18 for a total of 34.

Temp hole, plays 80m give or take for the wind, most people hit a Bump and Run, I like to hit a Gap wedge. Launched it high, straight at the Pin, I need to take about 10-12m off the shot, landed a meter short of the pin and rolled straight at it, Only to stop 3" short. Easy tap for two but the closes I've come to a hole in One.

Round 1 : White - Handicap [ 16.79 ]
Total 34
out 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 out
Par 4 4 5 4 3 4 4 3 4 35
Strokes 5 5 7 6 3 6 5 4 5 46
Score 2 2 1 1 3 1 2 2 2 16
in 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 in
Par 3 4 5 4 3 4 4 3 4 34
Strokes - - 5 5 3 5 4 2 5 29
Score - - 3 2 3 2 3 3 2 18
Ace / AlbatrossEagleBirdieParBogeyD. Bogey +
  • Like 3

Nicely done. Anything within 2-3 of your handicap isn't a bad day I reckon. 

I'm not sure I'll have time for any range practice this week, but playing both days on the weekend again. Rescheduled monthly medal on Saturday, then a social club game on Sunday. I missed the last social club game because I don't like Ambrose or the course they played at. 

On 3/14/2022 at 5:01 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I missed the last social club game because I don't like Ambrose

I don't like Ambrose.. I'm sure it's fine for a sponsor's drink day but it's not golf I want to play.

I like to Play Golf then drink, not during the game but I will catch up later!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I don't like Ambrose.. I'm sure it's fine for a sponsor's drink day but it's not golf I want to play.

I like to Play Golf then drink, not during the game but I will catch up later!

Yeah I don't like drinking during the round either. A couple spaced out across it is fine, sometimes I'll get a beer at the turn but not a fan of playing tipsy or drunk.

I guess I've just never seen golf as a team sport, it's not much fun when you smack one 250 metres down the middle and they decide to use someone else's tee shot that went into the rough because the quota needs meeting. Sorta feels like you waste good shots. Sometimes I'll play them if they go to a course I haven't been before and just use it as a practice session/check the course out, but otherwise I'd rather just play a comp round. I like the best ball rounds though because you still play a proper round. 

Meanwhile, I went to the club office yesterday and got those incorrect scores sorted out on Saturday's card. I'm rightly placed in the leaderboard now but it hasn't updated on golf link yet. Ended up coming 7th, but with the winner posting 44 points it was always gonna be hard to beat 😂 I'm not worried about that much but I'd like my handicap to be where it should be. 

• Like 1