Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

56 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I know I am capable of better. I'm probably capable of breaking 80 if I could iron out a few things, most of which are probably mental rather than physical. For example sometimes I'll hit bad slices because I get this idea that if I swing properly I'll pull it left, and I end up just getting in my own way and not turning through the downswing properly. It's absolutely ridiculous and the swing feels terrible when I do it; I am getting better at not thinking that way but it does creep in at times. 

I don't play these days but I was also capable of better...to the extent my playing partner suggested I should attach an ockie strap from my mouth to my knackers to stop me lifting my head when playing a shot. Hahaha.

• Haha 5

45 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I don't play these days but I was also capable of better...to the extent my playing partner suggested I should attach an ockie strap from my mouth to my knackers to stop me lifting my head when playing a shot. Hahaha.

I don't have that problem 😂 I rarely top the ball, slightly more often chunk it but the vast majority are struck well, it just depends on my alignment and swing what direction they go, so that's mainly what I'm working on improving. Sometimes I hit dead straight shots off line because of my alignment. I'm also learning how to shape shots on purpose, hitting cuts is easy because it's just an exaggeration of my natural shot shape, draws are a bit harder but I can do it. 

Today I hit most of them pretty well but my short game wasn't up to the level it normally is, and I didn't putt well. A few more up and downs and a few putts read better or not left short and that 87 might have been somewhere in the range of 79-82. It's in me, I just need to get all aspects of the game working well in the same round

• Like 4

Keep at it, you are on the right track.

My head is the biggest problem in my golf

I try to swing relaxed and half way down I Thump the Crap out of it..

and it goes no where 😒

Stay in control and I have a good round.

@MUZZY now you only work twice a week... give it another go.

I'll play with Ya

• Like 3

Yeah I gave up on that idea. All I do is just hit it hard without trying to hit the cover off it. My natural tempo works best, which is probably quite quick. My setup is relaxed but if I try to relax the swing it just throws my tempo out.  

But yeah I'm happy with my improvement so far, and it's great having a fairway wood in the bag that I'm actually confident hitting. It's a good backup off the tee if I start spraying the driver but also helps a lot on par 5s. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Keep at it, you are on the right track.

My head is the biggest problem in my golf

I try to swing relaxed and half way down I Thump the Crap out of it..

and it goes no where 😒

Stay in control and I have a good round.

@MUZZY now you only work twice a week... give it another go.

I'll play with Ya

Thanks for the offer, Dave, but I never really liked golf that much. I only played for the social aspect of it. Nowadays I'm happier staying home.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Thanks for the offer, Dave, but I never really liked golf that much. I only played for the social aspect of it. Nowadays I'm happier staying home.

agree.. it's social for me but I am competitive, so that helps me enjoy the game.

if you ever what to have a social hit.. I'll come join you.

• Like 2

First game in two weeks, felt slow, that's me not the game!

Maybe that helped, first nine, 17

Too many mistakes after that but managed 16 back nine.

7 Par's today, helped with the score, seemed to be all or nothing.

will probably go out a squeak, as I drop a big one. will see.

• Like 2

Well that was utter rubbish today. 91 off the stick for 29 points. Swing felt out of sorts most of the day, and once again didn't chip or putt that well. Must be going through one of those form slump things. Handicap unchanged, however a 40 point flag is dropping off tomorrow so hopefully I can at least play to 13. 

• Sad 1

I can sympathise with you Kelsey. Par comp yesterday, finished -3. Drove OK, 3wood crap, chipping crap, putting pretty good.  87 off the stick is only 1 over my handicap if it was a stroke round. 

There's always next week,  when I find out which part of my game deserts me then. 🤔

How do those par comps work? There was one on at my club yesterday too but I didn't play in it. 

I have some stuff to work on from today's lesson over the next 3 weeks including some exercises I can do while watching TV or whatever, and a couple of drills I can do in the backyard. The end goal overall is to turn my swing into a professional type swing to get more consistent ball striking and the handicap further down. 

I'm playing again tomorrow, not expecting to do a lot but hopefully I can play better than today. I only hit 3 fairways and 2 greens today, and made par on one hole after pulling it left into the trees and whatever else is over there.  Pretty much one of those days where nothing really went my way and then to make such an unlikely par... pretty much sums it up 🤣

Par scoring is basically like playing Matchplay against the course, with every hole producing a result of either a plus, half or minus 

So Your par for the Hole, up, even or down

It doesn't reward aggressive play

Steady Eddie wins the day.

• Like 1

A bit better today, managed to keep my tee shots in play for the most part but had a recurring issue with chunking irons that killed a few chances to hit greens in regulation. Almost holed a bunker shot on 12. Short game was better today making 46% up and downs, putter better too, a fair few missed by a whisker so I was at least reading the greens pretty well and had the pace going well. Bookended the back 9 with a couple of ordinary holes. Handicap moved a little out to 14.4, but I have three ordinary rounds to drop off so with some better play the next few rounds it should come back down again. Next rounds on Saturday off the blacks, then Monday off the whites. 

I've put the driver away for the time being until I can get the shaft changed, so just teeing off with the fairway wood at the moment. 

855294938_Screenshot_20220418-170231_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ff0e97979aa2b8d815b3961c1e4afcef.jpg

• Like 2

There are a number of holes there where 3 wood is the play off the tee, or at least a reasonable option. I just hated my old one and couldn't hit it that far. I hit one nearly 240 on 12, then proceeded to chunk a 4 iron 🙄 But it is a really nice club to hit, I always feel confident that if I get my swing right I'll hit a nice shot with it. I don't feel like that with the driver at the moment. 

If I can get a suitable shaft in the driver I should be able to hit it longer and straighter, it's just too whippy and I end up getting too much spin on the ball and they often balloon out right. It feels like my swing is too fast for it, and the head gets left behind too far with the shaft flex and can't square up before it reaches the ball. At the moment I can hit the wood pretty much the same distance, but the driver should be going a good 30-40 metres longer. 

• Like 1

Local golf course in Ballyliffin (not for me but the in-laws). Beautiful links course if the weather holds. I’ve still got a bit to go before I avoid embarrassing myself, fortunately my brewing skills are more consistent than my golfing skills…

4D7E6BA7-78EB-4EF5-8B8D-453B64F0A46B.jpeg

872B8346-5C27-48E4-8DA3-383A4427D92C.jpeg

C7C1E2E9-5E74-4677-97E3-E13D47C76D10.jpeg

331ED314-60F0-470A-8B9F-4F9317D23CCD.jpeg

A544F850-C967-4471-82D9-CACCFA28608C.jpeg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

Local golf course in Ballyliffin (not for me but the in-laws). Beautiful links course if the weather holds. I’ve still got a bit to go before I avoid embarrassing myself, fortunately my brewing skills are more consistent than my golfing skills…

Great shots Stquinta, we would have liked to have seen you parading around in your plus fours gracing the fairways but I imagine you were propped up at the Bar at the 19th 🤣

I said to a mate of mine once who wasn't a very good golfer ' why do you bother paying green fees, you're never on it'

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Where is that? I wish we had more of that type of course up here, closest thing to it is Maleny. The only other one I've played was Belmont in NSW years ago but I think they've changed it a bit since then. 

I'd probably lose a few balls in that long grass but at least I wouldn't be stuck behind a tree 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Bit far and expensive to go for me right now 😂 I'd like to go and play some down in Vic and Tas though. 

if you get to vic   try and get on Cathedral , nah   you wont get on there even if you was the only booking of the day   , only the well known people get to play this one its pretty well exclusive

seriously   though   play st Andrews beech down  fingal   not cheap  but   its a challenge

• Like 3

Loads of good courses to play in Oz, some way to exclusive.

If you happen to be travelling Os, then it's $$'s what's your limit.

I can't afford the High-end courses.

I'm happy on my home track and what's near by.

• Like 1